IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:07 AM   #121
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

I am still getting emails and popups asking me for my bank details after that Windows update disaster. I just ignore it all now.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:17 AM   #122
Dabop
Graduate Poster

Considering that I still get them too (at least Yahoo has a decent spam filter so I never see them unless I go to my spam folder) and I don't even have Windows- I use Android on my phone and tablet, and Ubuntu on my laptop and two towers- I seriously doubt that any possible Windows update could possibly fix that....

Dammit, my Ford has a fault that it doesn't make all the red lights go green- Why doesn't Toyota FIX IT!!!!

(hey it makes as much sense as anything henri dribbles out)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 05:18 AM   #123
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I am still getting emails and popups asking me for my bank details after that Windows update disaster. I just ignore it all now.
Sounds like your computer has a pebcak wetware problem. Stop using it immediately.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 01:12 PM   #124
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Sounds like your computer has a pebcak wetware problem. Stop using it immediately.
You sure? Sounds like a problem with the ID ten T to me.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 01:19 PM   #125
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Twisted pair fault?!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 09:12 AM   #126
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
You sure? Sounds like a problem with the ID ten T to me.
Computer user non-technical.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 08:03 AM   #127
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Computer user non-technical.
Dang it! I knew that joke would miss...it's meant to be spoken.

ID ten T

ID-10-T

ID10T

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 08:09 AM   #128
Wudang
BOFH

No I got it. I've even seen it on t shirts.
Old 28th December 2018, 08:20 AM   #129
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

The only input I can offer is to mention that Windows Update Disaster would be a great name for a heavy metal band.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:43 PM   #130
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Dang it! I knew that joke would miss...it's meant to be spoken.

ID ten T

ID-10-T

ID10T

Computer user non-technical is whatever the opposite of an acronym is.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 03:49 PM   #131
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Unfortunately the term is "expansion" which wouldn't have helped anyone find their way to Scunthorpe here...
Old 30th December 2018, 09:38 AM   #132
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Reverse acronym apparently.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:49 AM   #133
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

The opposite of "acronym" is "expansion".

ETA: Since I see I'm repeating novaphile. I'll add a cite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 30th December 2018 at 09:51 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 10:14 AM   #134
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Practically all of the major "E-mail scams" (The Nigerian Price, the Dying Relative, the IRS Threat) existed (and still do) as fax and physical mail scams.
I am now getting continual pop ups from Advanced System Repair wanting money which are difficult to uninstall. The Daily Mail reported that about 5000 people fell for the scam saying TV Licensing needed to be updated and asking for bank details. I still think Windows Defender could do more about all this sort of thing. They nearly landed the NHS in the compost a few years ago by telling the NHS that their systems were secure after all the updates.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #135
baron

I am now getting continual pop ups from Advanced System Repair wanting money which are difficult to uninstall. The Daily Mail reported that about 5000 people fell for the scam saying TV Licensing needed to be updated and asking for bank details. I still think Windows Defender could do more about all this sort of thing. They nearly landed the NHS in the compost a few years ago by telling the NHS that their systems were secure after all the updates.
You seem to be confused as to the functions of Windows updates, Defender, AV and the computer user.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:21 PM   #136
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I've heard the stories. it just never happened to me, till today.

Windows Update. I selected Update and Shut Down. When I turned on my PC this morning it did the usual updating and getting your PC ready stuff.

However it through up a blue screen that asked me my keyboard type. OK.I selected U.S. Stuff stated happening, but then it came another blue screen giving me the option to continue with "Windows Rollback" or restoring to the previous update. "Rollback" simply got me back to the same selections. So I chose previous Windows 10 5. it was never able to complete the process with that. It was unable to load the desktop or the windows file system.

It's old 4 years, and I don't have back up disks or whatever. Fortunately I have my newer laptop.

I suppose It could be repaired, but I don't want to spend the bucks on it.

It was a Lenovo btw.
I have read all these letters and didn't believe them until it happened to me today. Oh, you were talking about computers. I'll get my coat.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:30 AM   #137
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

I am now getting emails to update my Netflix subscription to obtain my bank details after the Windows Update disaster. The only problem with that is that I don't have a Netflix subscription. Have Microsoft or the police been informed?
Old 18th February 2019, 09:18 AM   #138
Joe Random
Illuminator

I am now getting emails to update my Netflix subscription to obtain my bank details after the Windows Update disaster. The only problem with that is that I don't have a Netflix subscription. Have Microsoft or the police been informed?
You need to update your Radeon drivers to fix this. Make sure you're getting the latest ones right off of Nvidia's site, however. I tried using the ones that came in an e-mail titled "Best most latest X-Fi Titanium diver packages win7,8,9, OS/2 Warp", and now I keep getting the Bonzi Buddy gorilla on my screen every time I try to print.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #139
Leftus
Master Poster

They nearly landed the NHS in the compost a few years ago by telling the NHS that their systems were secure after all the updates.
MS put out an update, before the attack, that would have prevented it. NHS put out an update bulletin for everyone to update their systems. Not all sysadmins applied the update.

Yes, MS told them they were secure if the updates were applied. The updates were not applied.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41753022

The report said NHS trusts had not acted on critical alerts from NHS Digital and a warning from the Department of Health and the Cabinet Office in 2014 to patch or migrate away from vulnerable older software.

So the patch was out there for 3 years, give or take, and they just didn't install them. But somehow, you blame MS for that. I get the feeling you don't know how any of this works

Quote:
Yeah, that is not how it works. You know, I just cut myself shaving right after the new Gillette commercial aired. I should inform P&G about this! Correlation does not equal causation.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #140
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know, have you informed them ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #141
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Don't worry. Pretty soon, a nice gentleman from Windows Support in India will detect the problems with your computer and give you a call. If you give him access to your computer and pay his very reasonable fee, he will fix everything for you.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 08:35 AM   #142
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Don't worry. Pretty soon, a nice gentleman from Windows Support in India will detect the problems with your computer and give you a call. If you give him access to your computer and pay his very reasonable fee, he will fix everything for you.
Heh.

Seriously, this whole thread reads like someone blaming Ford because someone carjacked their 3 year old Focus.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:42 PM   #143
Yalius
Muse

I am now getting continual pop ups from Advanced System Repair wanting money which are difficult to uninstall. The Daily Mail reported that about 5000 people fell for the scam saying TV Licensing needed to be updated and asking for bank details. I still think Windows Defender could do more about all this sort of thing.
The best front door lock in the world won't help if you open the door and ask a burglar to make himself at home.

The other option would be a security program that just plain won't let a user install an unapproved program-- and can you imagine the kerfuffle if users weren't given an option to "Ignore warnings, install anyway?" Computer security is a catch-22 in some ways. The people least able to identify and avoid malware and phishing attempts are the ones most likely to scream bloody murder if admin access is taken away.

I think the Windows 10 S variant was a great step forward in terms of computer security. Now if only the one-click option to disable S mode made the user answer a dozen or so questions about network security before it allowed that feature...
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet