IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Christie Smythe , Martin Shkreli , sex scandals

Old 21st December 2020, 12:45 AM   #1
Cain
Straussian

Journalist Quits Job and Leaves Husband to be with "Life Partner" Martin Shkreli

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a3502...ro-journalist/

Quote:
When Shkreli found out about this article, though, he stopped communicating with her... Smythe [the crazy love bird] thinks it’s because he’s worried about fallout for her. While she waits to hear from him, she monitors Google Alerts for his name... because inmates must place outgoing calls and can’t accept incoming ones—hopes one day he will call or reply to one of her emails. “It’s completely out of her control,” Haak says; all she can do is “sit around and wait and hope.”

Smythe has only one photo of the two of them, propped next to her bed. Shkreli, his arm around Smythe, has a wide-open smile. “Doesn’t he look human there?” Smythe says, laughing... I tell Smythe I’ll need to ask Shkreli for comment. “Maybe this will be a reason for him to reach out to me,” she says. Later, when I relay Shkreli’s statement—“Mr. Shkreli wishes Ms. Smythe the best of luck in her future endeavors”—to Smythe via video chat, she says, “That’s sweet,” quietly, not convincingly.
Old 21st December 2020, 01:07 AM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Interesting story - cheers.

What are the odds on Trump pardoning him? Birds of a feather by the sound of it.
Old 21st December 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Man, that is just sad.
Old 21st December 2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The husband is lucky to be rid of her.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 09:30 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Props to Elle for sitting down with her and getting her story in all of its glorious "don't put your dick in crazy" glory.

My biggest concern is that it ticks all the boxes. Nobody could really be that un-self-aware, could they? So maybe Christie Smythe and Elle reporter Stephanie Clifford came up with this interview idea together, as a way to sell ad space for clothing by The Vampire's Wife and jewelry by Altuzzara.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 09:36 AM   #6
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I was cringing reading that. Why would she want anyone to hear this story?
Old 21st December 2020, 10:07 AM   #7
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Woman who wears dresses that shouldn't be seen outside of a Florida bat mitvah in 1989 falls for man who has carefully cultivated a licks-his-own-eyeballs look (and matching personality).

Anyway, I wish them both the best of luck in all future endeavors.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:19 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Woman who wears dresses that shouldn't be seen outside of a Florida bat mitvah in 1989
I dunno, the lowkey gothic-frump look is kinda growing on me.

That said, I'm pretty sure the dresses were Elle magazine's idea, for the photo shoot accompanying the interview. I doubt this woman actually has dresses like that in her wardrobe.

But while I can explain the dresses, I can't explain the interview.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I think she's pretty, and I like her dresses.

I don't deny that she has crazy eyes, however.

I can't help but feel a bit of scorn at her lack of professionalism, but I mostly just feel sorry for her. I can't understand why she would publicize this account. I'd be hiding in my basement, drinking in shame and embarrassment.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:12 AM   #10
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I can't understand why she would publicize this account. I'd be hiding in my basement, drinking in shame and embarrassment.
Mark Twain asked the same question 144 years ago, and still nobody has a decent answer to why some women are so attracted to the worst criminals.

We had a case here where a respected lawyer became so besotted with her client - a man so disgusting even the judge called him an "evil and dangerous predator" - that she got herself disbarred for smuggling things for him and then married him while he's still inside.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/ex-law...NXPT3T2U52FUU/

And if you've ever hung around criminal gangs, you'd notice that some of them have the most beautiful women you'd ever see.

Bad is sexy to some people, I guess.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:34 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mark Twain asked the same question 144 years ago, and still nobody has a decent answer to why some women are so attracted to the worst criminals.
I don't question her attraction. I question her enthusiasm for putting her trainwreck on public display.

Like, "I have an overpowering crush on Martin Shkreli. I suppose I can live with my secret shame. I just hope my ex-husband will come to understand, even if he's never able to forgive," makes a certain amount of sense.

Not so much, "hey everybody! Look at my crazy eyes, red flags, and hilariously bad life choices!"
Old 21st December 2020, 11:56 AM   #12
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

We had a case here where a respected lawyer became so besotted with her client - a man so disgusting even the judge called him an "evil and dangerous predator" - that she got herself disbarred for smuggling things for him and then married him while he's still inside.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/ex-law...NXPT3T2U52FUU/

And if you've ever hung around criminal gangs, you'd notice that some of them have the most beautiful women you'd ever see.

Bad is sexy to some people, I guess.
It's interesting that women seem to fall into this sort of situation more often than men. Like, way more often. I don't think females in jail for terrible crimes get loads of sexual fanmail. I've not heard of that happening, but Ted Bundy was drowning in it. I find it kind of disgusting. "This guy hurt other women, but he wouldn't do that to ME. I'M special, I can fix him." Like, gross. I hope it's mental illness at the core of such thinking, because if it isn't, these ladies have some serious problems with empathy.

Now, the scuzzbucket in this story isn't on the same level as Bundy, obviously, but it seems like the same basic deal. "This terrible person carves out an exception for ME." Except, he didn't. Even her deluded version of the story makes it extremely obvious that Shkreli never gave a crap about her. I wonder if she honestly can't see that?

I've also noticed that the husbands of women who get busted for sex crimes always seem to leave them, whereas it's more of a toss-up if a wife in the same situation will do so. More often than not, they don't.

Last edited by Butter!; 21st December 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't question her attraction. I question her enthusiasm for putting her trainwreck on public display.

Like, "I have an overpowering crush on Martin Shkreli. I suppose I can live with my secret shame. I just hope my ex-husband will come to understand, even if he's never able to forgive," makes a certain amount of sense.

Not so much, "hey everybody! Look at my crazy eyes, red flags, and hilariously bad life choices!"
This.

The husband must be having kind of a tough time right now. I feel bad for anybody who gets pulled into someone else's public embarrassment.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:00 PM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps she was paid for the “article”.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:16 PM   #15
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

And people act like there's some kind of mystery about why I don't date/marry.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 12:41 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she got to keep the dresses.

Can I just say that "The Vampire's Wife" is the perfect name for this clothing line? I checked out their catalog, and it's all stuff like this. "I'm married to a creature of the night from a bygone era, and he likes to see me in frocks made from 80s window treatments."

It's also the perfect line of clothing, and perfect name, to evoke the theme, "this is the frock I'm wearing while I carry a torch for depraved social parasite Martin Shkreli."

Last edited by theprestige; 21st December 2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 21st December 2020, 03:19 PM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"There's someone for everyone" is supposed to be a mantra to give hope to the lonely, not a dire warning of what could go wrong.
Old 21st December 2020, 04:45 PM   #18
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's interesting that women seem to fall into this sort of situation more often than men. Like, way more often. I don't think females in jail for terrible crimes get loads of sexual fanmail. I've not heard of that happening, but Ted Bundy was drowning in it. I find it kind of disgusting. "This guy hurt other women, but he wouldn't do that to ME. I'M special, I can fix him." Like, gross. I hope it's mental illness at the core of such thinking, because if it isn't, these ladies have some serious problems with empathy.
I'm thinking that it's mostly an attraction towards powerful and domineering people. Whether you like it or not there's a certain appeal to "bad boys" who are willing to take whatever they want, and whomever they want, when they want. I have no problem admitting that I myself can find those kind of people very attractive. I have that kind of submissive streak. Although I personally find any murderous tendencies too unsettling and creepy even for me, and I'm pretty perverted mind you, I know for a fact that there are those who can ignore it or feel that it makes such guys even more attractive.

And yes it's an objective fact that men are way more likely to have those personality traits and actually behave like real "bad boys". Imagine how horrible, yet also very sexy, it would be if women were just as prone to that kind of predatory behaviour.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 06:21 PM   #19
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'm thinking that it's mostly an attraction towards powerful and domineering people. Whether you like it or not there's a certain appeal to "bad boys" who are willing to take whatever they want, and whomever they want, when they want. I have no problem admitting that I myself can find those kind of people very attractive. I have that kind of submissive streak. Although I personally find any murderous tendencies too unsettling and creepy even for me, and I'm pretty perverted mind you, I know for a fact that there are those who can ignore it or feel that it makes such guys even more attractive.

And yes it's an objective fact that men are way more likely to have those personality traits and actually behave like real "bad boys". Imagine how horrible, yet also very sexy, it would be if women were just as prone to that kind of predatory behaviour.
Hmmm, yeah, I guess you are probably onto something there. It just seems like there'd be a point where powerful turned into plain scary. There's a dangerous man, and then there's a man who's actually a danger to me. (Though in the cases of jailed killers, they aren't any kind of real danger to their admirers, like a caged lion or whatever - the danger is a degree or two removed from reality.)

I suppose everyone's "line" is in a different place. It's hard not to get upset thinking about those kinds of wretches and criminals having horny fans, but I guess it really isn't my concern at the end of the day.
Old 21st December 2020, 06:24 PM   #20
Venom
Illuminator

Reminds me of the Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez cases, among others.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 06:30 PM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Reminds me of the Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez cases, among others.
What, those two got together?! I hate to imagine that wedding registry!
Old 21st December 2020, 06:53 PM   #22
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post

I am thinking it is probably more needy people getting off on scum tbh.

Maybe it gives them a "project" to think they can fix.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 07:12 PM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I've also noticed that the husbands of women who get busted for sex crimes always seem to leave them, whereas it's more of a toss-up if a wife in the same situation will do so. More often than not, they don't.
Stockholm Syndrome in play is how I see that one, and it is bizarrely common.

A distant relative (by marriage, thankfully) was jailed for multiple child sex offences, yet his wife stuck with him, and still is sticking with him as he serves his time.
Old 21st December 2020, 07:37 PM   #24
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Elle has posted a follow-up:

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a3503...shkreli-story/

I don't think she was paid for the article in any way. Apparently she just needed to "get it off her chest".
Quote:
How did you feel about it, this long-held secret of yours basically being revealed publicly?

It was a tremendous relief. A huge part of me doing this is not image based. It's about just getting something off my chest. That's been really hard to carry around.
Quote:
We're all in this journalism morass. So why did you agree to do the story?

Well, the COVID situation was getting worse and sitting around and doing nothing was not doing wonders for my anxiety. This felt like doing something—I don't know if it'll be effective, but it's been a very long time, and my nerves were just shot from having to carry around this story inside of me and not knowing what to do with it. I would always tell myself if someone comes to me, who knows what to ask and asks the right questions, I'll tell them.
Some were wondering about the dress:
Quote:
People wanted to know about the fashion shoot.

It’s been so hard; this whole experience has been so hard. Getting to wear some fun clothes was a momentary moment of joy, essentially. I enjoyed it. I had gone through so much. I was expecting to go through much more in terms of being attacked online. So if I can have a little bit of pleasure and wear some fun clothes, fine, I will do that.

And we should be clear that they are not your clothes and you are not allowed to keep them.

Not my clothes.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:39 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she got to keep the dresses.

Can I just say that "The Vampire's Wife" is the perfect name for this clothing line? I checked out their catalog, and it's all stuff like this. "I'm married to a creature of the night from a bygone era, and he likes to see me in frocks made from 80s window treatments."

It's also the perfect line of clothing, and perfect name, to evoke the theme, "this is the frock I'm wearing while I carry a torch for depraved social parasite Martin Shkreli."
Probably not a coincidence that Elle chose that particular dressmaker, just to be cheeky.

https://thevampireswife.com/

They don't come cheap, apparently. Some of them run over £2,000.

Last edited by Puppycow; 21st December 2020 at 08:46 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 08:49 PM   #26
trustbutverify
Philosopher

He's a douchebag and she's a pathetic douchebag groupie. Really not that complicated.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 08:54 PM   #27
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am thinking it is probably more needy people getting off on scum tbh.

Maybe it gives them a "project" to think they can fix.
It's the "dangerous adventure" of it. People with mundane lives desperately crave excitement, even if it's just contrived nonsense. It's a lot easier to attach oneself to a hot situation than to actually have to create one of your own.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 09:31 PM   #28
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I dunno, the lowkey gothic-frump look is kinda growing on me.
Pretty much talking about the first one, because that's around the point where I noped out. The rest just look like they came from Haute Topic.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's hard not to get upset thinking about those kinds of wretches and criminals having horny fans, but I guess it really isn't my concern at the end of the day.
I find it amusing more than anything else. It's like going to the zoo in order to experience dangerous animals... in a completely artificial environment without any real danger.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:11 PM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
It's the "dangerous adventure" of it. People with mundane lives desperately crave excitement, even if it's just contrived nonsense. It's a lot easier to attach oneself to a hot situation than to actually have to create one of your own.
It is pretty odd

Apparently even Charles Manson, Peter Sutcliffe and Ted Bundy had their female "Pen friends"

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd December 2020 at 02:02 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:19 PM   #31
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is pretty odd

Apparently even Charles Manson, Peter Sutcliffe and Ted Bundy had their female "Pen friends"

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12.
Have you ever read any of those Harlequin Romance paperbacks? This type of situation isn't really odd at all. People love drama.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd December 2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:27 PM   #32
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I hadn't heard of Harlequin.

I'd heard of Mills and Boon.

Googled it. Quite funny. They have a 1/2 billion dollar turn over!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin_Enterprises

That is quite funny, if a bit weird

Old 21st December 2020, 11:18 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Harlequin is the Mills and Boon of America.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:35 PM   #34
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Slightly left field fact.

You could make a fairly good argument that the goddess of female romance writers invented air mail.

Barbara Cartland

Quote:
Contribution to aviation

Privately, Cartland took an interest in the early gliding movement and in 1931 created and devised a 200-mile (360 km) tow in a glider carrying mail. In 1984, she was awarded the Bishop Wright Air Industry Award for this contribution

Old 22nd December 2020, 04:53 AM   #35
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Probably not a coincidence that Elle chose that particular dressmaker, just to be cheeky.

https://thevampireswife.com/

They don't come cheap, apparently. Some of them run over £2,000.
This is probably common knowledge, but the Vampire's Wife is owned and run by the wife of Nick Cave, the goth singer - hence the name.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 06:24 AM   #36
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
This is probably common knowledge, but the Vampire's Wife is owned and run by the wife of Nick Cave, the goth singer - hence the name.
I actually didn't know that, but now I like them even more!

I'm starting to think a lot of you guys might dislike my non-work wardrobe.
Old 22nd December 2020, 06:55 AM   #37
ahhell
Illuminator

She's pretty, the first dress is crazy, the second just looks a little dated with the slightly puffy shoulders.

That being said, this reminds of those women that end up marrying serial killers in prison. Sad story, I'm guessing she doesn't see it how I and probably everyone else does. She probably thinks its romantic rather than just a said tale a douche taking advantage of her.

He's a douchebag and she's a pathetic douchebag groupie. Really not that complicated.
Still, hard to understand if you aren't one of those things, or haven't witness a lot of that sort of thing. I agree, its not that unusual.

Also reminds me of Twilight. I only saw one(mayby two?) of the movies but it could have been a movie about a dangerous stalker but the stalking behavior was played as romance. Seriously, at one point the vampire disables the what's her names care to keep her from meeting the werewolf. Her dad was a cop, WTF man? Arrest that guy. Later she starts hallucinating visions of the vampire and engaging in self destructive behavior when they can't get together. Mental illness as romance seems to be a thing in our culture. Goes back to Romeo and Juliet if you think about it.

Last edited by ahhell; 22nd December 2020 at 07:03 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:14 AM   #38
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Quote:
In April 2017, Shkreli invited Smythe to a talk he was giving to a Princeton University student corporate finance club as fodder for the book. The club sent an SUV to pick them up; a dean shook their hands. Smythe felt a stir when Shkreli mentioned her: “Even if you find an honest reporter—I made friends with one, she’s here right now,” he told the audience. Afterward, Shkreli met with students at a brewpub. “Martin’s mobbed with kids, people talking to him, and he’s really animated and excited,” she remembers. When Shkreli went to the bathroom, Smythe stepped in to entertain the students. “It almost felt like I was a political wife,” she says.
All that was missing was a coupla ugly dresses and and a glossy magazine interview. Too bad about those people who woke up one day and found the drug their child needed to stay alive had just become 5000% more expensive so that a slimy con artist could buy a two million dollar record album and stay out of prison for a few more months. But I guess they aren't the type of characters who fit into an exciting romance story.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 22nd December 2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:33 AM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Have you ever read any of those Harlequin Romance paperbacks? This type of situation isn't really odd at all. People love drama.
Yeah, the rich guy whom everybody thinks is a meanie but who secretly has a heart of gold that can only be brought out by heroine is a staple of those books.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:43 PM   #40
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yeah, the rich guy whom everybody thinks is a meanie but who secretly has a heart of gold that can only be brought out by heroine is a staple of those books.
Holy ****.

It's 50 Shades of Shkreli.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events