IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 17th January 2021, 04:09 PM   #2441
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So is carrying fire extinguishers to protests a thing?

Did they have some sort of special significance, or is it one of those things that all the cool kids know to do, because they can carry something that can be used as a weapon, but isn't technically a weapon?
They are pretty heavy 40lbs or 18kg. Difficult to throw around with ease or gain much height.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 04:18 PM   #2442
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
That is a must see. Those people on Parler proudly loading up their mobile phones with videos and downloading them direct to Parler. I can't believe the stupidity of all the people who show their faces. One woman inside the hall even whips off her star-spangled mask whilst the guy with the camera urges, 'put your mask on!'

Some bint near the beginning even narrates oh, I've just entered the no-go grass area. I'm now in the Capitol Hill grounds. Der.

Lots of astonishing brawls with police and thugs being jumped on by cops after smashing windows.

For those who don't have time: the action seems to kick off circa 1:45. Scroll down to 2:05 to see the doors being breached. by 2:15 they are pouring in and at 2:26 they are seen wandering around the lobby and congratulating themselves.

It's really crazy. Those cops must have been papping their pants seeing how outnumbered they were.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 04:24 PM   #2443
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
They vote for Presdident, and Washington D.C. has three electoral votes.

They have no actual representation in the Senate or the House of Representatives. I believe they have one non-voting delegate in the House. I'm not exactly sure what that person does, but I think it means they can be on the House floor. Maybe they could even give speeches, but they don't vote. I don't know if he is elected or if he's appointed by the mayor. For the purposes of what would be like "state law" they have a mayor and city council.
The elected D.C. Delegate has been Eleanor Holmes Norton since 1991. She functions pretty much like any other member of Congress, including serving on and voting in committees and helping constituents, but can't vote to pass bills.
https://norton.house.gov/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #2444
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Many times I thought people were doing things like that just because the media was there, and they were doing it for the camera, or the media exacerbated the problem. (That has been true in many cases.) As far as I know, this is the first time media has been attacked, not just CNN targeted, but journalists in general. (Noting the piles of destroyed video equipment shown in some videos.) But a large percentage of the rioters themselves are doing the video coverage, I guess hoping to get hits on YouTube or whereever. Seriously, how many people did we see with their phones in the air recording the action, while they did it?

It's nuts.
Old 17th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #2445
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To poke at a couple things that seem to be distinct problems if true -

Pressley's chief of staff said her office's panic buttons 'had been torn out' before Capitol riot

I think the implications are obvious when panic buttons are removed from the office of a member of The Squad right before a deadly assault on the Capitol Building.

Separately,

Large bitcoin payments to right-wing activists a month before Capitol riot linked to foreign account

A Frenchman, supposedly, much as there seems to be some rather suspicious factors involved. It could very well be not directly related at all, but...
This is being investigated by the FBI

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...21-1?r=US&IR=T
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #2446
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That is a must see.
At 2:35, Inside the Capitol, the camera follows a fellow who appears to have peed his pants. Not exactly the cream of the crop in there.

https://d2hxwnssq7ss7g.cloudfront.ne...XuwqLs_cvt.mp4
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 06:37 PM   #2447
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
At 2:35, Inside the Capitol, the camera follows a fellow who appears to have peed his pants. Not exactly the cream of the crop in there.

How many years is it for public urination on Capitol grounds?
Old 17th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #2448
Kestrel
Philosopher

The Washington Post video laying out the timeline and mapping the Capitol siege is the best summary I have yet seen.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:26 PM   #2449
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe he spilled his beer.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:58 PM   #2450
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe he spilled his beer.
He does appear to have a liquor bottle shoved in his back pocket, so....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 08:30 PM   #2451
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

He does appear to have a liquor bottle shoved in his back pocket, so....
How many years is it for public intoxication on Capitol grounds?
Old 17th January 2021, 08:47 PM   #2452
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I haven't watch a "Law and Order" in awhile, but as I recall they almost always ended with somebody going to prison.
Yes, but it showed that a lot of the time the real problem was not in finding out who did it, but getting evidence that would stick in a court of law.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:15 PM   #2453
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

I haven't visited this list in awhile. My, how she's grown.

Several arrests over the weekend.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:18 PM   #2454
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Arrested today for participation in the riot: "Cowboys for Trump" founder Couy Griffin. Last week, Griffin bragged to local media in New Mexico that he and others were returning to the Capitol armed on Inauguration Day, and that "blood would run out of the building". More information and relevant links in this Twitter thread.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 10:11 PM   #2455
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I could be wrong about this... but I think because the crimes were federal in nature (as another poster pointed out, Washington DC is not part of any state, plus the laws that were violated were federal rather than state) then there is a certain amount of leeway about where the suspects are charged and tried.
Looks like the link posted by AJM8125 in this post...

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
I haven't visited this list in awhile. My, how she's grown.

Several arrests over the weekend.
....might answer your question

First paragraph

Below is a list of defendants charged in federal court in the District of Columbia related to crimes committed at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C, on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021.

Every case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Following arrests, or surrender, defendants must appear before district court magistrate/judge where the arrest takes place, in accordance with the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure.

Now whether that is just for the arraignments, and then their actual trials will be in DC, I can't say.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th January 2021 at 10:12 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:01 PM   #2456
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Looks like the link posted by AJM8125 in this post...

....might answer your question

First paragraph

Below is a list of defendants charged in federal court in the District of Columbia related to crimes committed at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C, on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021.

Every case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Following arrests, or surrender, defendants must appear before district court magistrate/judge where the arrest takes place, in accordance with the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure.

Now whether that is just for the arraignments, and then their actual trials will be in DC, I can't say.
Yeah, I checked this website which clearly states the rules:

Ruule 5:

Quote:
(2) Arrest in a District Other Than Where the Offense Was Allegedly Committed. If the defendant was arrested in a district other than where the offense was allegedly committed, the initial appearance must be:

(A) in the district of arrest;
or

(B) in an adjacent district if:

(i) the appearance can occur more promptly there; or

(ii) the offense was allegedly committed there and the initial appearance will occur on the day of arrest.
And...

Rule 18:

Quote:
Rule 18. Place of Prosecution and Trial

Unless a statute or these rules permit otherwise, the government must prosecute an offense in a district where the offense was committed. The court must set the place of trial within the district with due regard for the convenience of the defendant, any victim, and the witnesses, and the prompt administration of justice.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)

Last edited by angrysoba; 17th January 2021 at 11:02 PM.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:39 PM   #2457
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, I checked this website which clearly states the rules:

Ruule 5:

And...

Rule 18:
It's great to see actual facts.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:00 AM   #2458
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Insider news has combed through the video of the Capitol invasion and put together a compilation of the various right wing symbols seen on those inside.

White supremacists, fascists, Qanon, militia types, and so on. The right wing smorgasbord.

https://twitter.com/insidernews/stat...48151058604037
Old 18th January 2021, 07:04 AM   #2459
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That is a must see. Those people on Parler proudly loading up their mobile phones with videos and downloading them direct to Parler. I can't believe the stupidity of all the people who show their faces. One woman inside the hall even whips off her star-spangled mask whilst the guy with the camera urges, 'put your mask on!'
These are the same people who don't want to get vaccinated because they think they'll be implanted with a chip that allows the Deep State to track their location.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:06 AM   #2460
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, his hoodie is wet as well. It looks more like he's been sprayed with or otherwise covered in water.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:14 AM   #2461
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Nah, his hoodie is wet as well. It looks more like he's been sprayed with or otherwise covered in water.
Copious amounts of pepperspray was used by cops and rioters alike. Rinsing with large volumes of water is a common street-medic treatment.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:32 AM   #2462
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
How many years is it for public urination on Capitol grounds?
Well, I think Billy Carter got his own beer brand out of it, but he was peeing on the White House.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:50 AM   #2463
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to consider what would have happened if the House Republicans succeeded (if they were in the majority) in passing their vote. I think the (rightful) rebellion would have been much worse, and nationwide. But I don't think Congress would have been stormed in that case. Still, we have enough to be concerned with this week not to go off on that tangent.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:53 AM   #2464
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
UPDATE: ex U.S. Marine Donovan Crowl & Army vet Jessica Watkins arrested in crackdown on Militia groups per
@washingtonpost
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status...78857534152712

Two of the Oathkeepers seen leading a coordinated group into the Capitol.

We've seen a lot of whackadoos getting arrested so far, but there's definitely some very dangerous people that were heavily involved. Hopefully this is just the beginning of militia nuts and fascists catching charges. Curious to see if these examples of coordinated groups get charged with conspiracy counts in addition to the normal slate of charges we see for other invaders.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:06 AM   #2465
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
How many years is it for public intoxication on Capitol grounds?
Do you know how many Congressmen would have to be put in jail?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:12 AM   #2466
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:
Betancur had been wearing a GPS monitor in connection with a previous probation violation, authorities said, and location data referenced in a charging document against him shows his presence in restricted areas of the Capitol grounds.
https://www.cbs58.com/news/army-rese...h-capitol-riot

Although why wasn't this guy previously flagged as a security risk:

Quote:
(CNN) -- An Army reservist who federal investigators say has secret-level security clearance and a long record of posting his extremist views online was among the latest wave of rioters charged by federal prosecutors in connection with the January 6 Capitol insurrection.
The armed forces and police need to weed out the literal Nazis
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 18th January 2021 at 08:14 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:14 AM   #2467
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well I didn't have "Wear house arrest GPS tracking anklet to the violent uprising at the Capitol" on my Bingo Card.

That's up there with the "Ooops I accidently tried to sell the Punisher child porn" scene from the Netflix Show, except in real life.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:24 AM   #2468
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

With all the stuff like that you have to figure that they thought it wouldn't matter. They were going to win, the Deep State paedophiles would be taken down, justice would be served, and the insurrectionists would be treated like the heroes that they are.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:24 AM   #2469
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Quote:
Betancur had been wearing a GPS monitor in connection with a previous probation violation, authorities said, and location data referenced in a charging document against him shows his presence in restricted areas of the Capitol grounds.
Look, I don't want to label anyone, and I understand that calling Trump supporters morons isn't exactly a productive way of encouraging a dialogue that might actually resolve some of the divisions in society, but how ******* stupid do you have to be to storm the ******* Capitol while you're wearing a ******* ankle monitor?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:36 AM   #2470
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

US Capitol on lockdown due to security alert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55709740
Old 18th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #2471
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I thought this year’s “You couldn’t make it up” would be kept to one volume, I’m already up to the third!
Old 18th January 2021, 08:45 AM   #2472
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Woman who stole Pelosi's laptop arrested, it's even weirder than you might think.

Quote:
NBC News: The FBI has charged Riley Williams with her role in the Capitol riot.

The FBI says she told a former partner that she intended to take a laptop / hard drive stolen from Pelosi's office, ship it to Russia, where a friend would turn it over to the SVR -- Russian intel.
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/statu...79775440789509

had a half-baked scheme to give it to the Russians.

This lady is going to forever jail, assuming she is caught. To my reading, she has been charged but remains at large.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th January 2021 at 08:46 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:48 AM   #2473
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'd assume you would want all the evil Centrist secrets on that laptop to get out in the open as much as the rioter did.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:51 AM   #2474
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'd assume you would want all the evil Centrist secrets on that laptop to get out in the open as much as the rioter did.
There's nothing non-obvious about Pelosi that makes me hate her politics, so I have no desire to poke through her secret files. I can't see how turning her laptop over to Russia would be good for anyone. Any news coming from this leak would be highly dubious anyway.

This lady going to forever jail wasn't meant as a statement of bias on my part. Stealing a laptop and trying to turn it over to a foreign government is probably the most severe thing this lady could have done, criminally speaking, besides murder.

I'm not a lawyer, but we're legit talking about espionage adjacent charges, right? I don't think you bounce back from something like that.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th January 2021 at 08:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:55 AM   #2475
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's nothing non-obvious about Pelosi that makes me hate her politics, so I have no desire to poke through her secret files. I can't see how turning her laptop over to Russia would be good for anyone. Any news coming from this leak would be highly dubious anyway.
Didn't they say at the time it was just used for presentations, so there was unlikely to be much of interest on it?

BBC news is now saying the current Capitol lockdown is due to nearby fire.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:56 AM   #2476
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Didn't they say at the time it was just used for presentations, so there was unlikely to be much of interest on it?

BBC news is now saying the current Capitol lockdown is due to nearby fire.
I'm not an IT person, but I would hope that laptops are just terminals and anything actually sensitive is on a secure network that can't be accessed remotely just by stealing hardware.

Even if there's nothing on it, stealing it with the intent to turn it over to a foreign government is a big deal.

Apparently it was a small fire at a homeless encampment, not an attack.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th January 2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #2477
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought this year’s “You couldn’t make it up” would be kept to one volume, I’m already up to the third!
It's gone way past 11 by now!
Old 18th January 2021, 09:07 AM   #2478
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Look, I don't want to label anyone, and I understand that calling Trump supporters morons isn't exactly a productive way of encouraging a dialogue that might actually resolve some of the divisions in society, but how ******* stupid do you have to be to storm the ******* Capitol while you're wearing a ******* ankle monitor?

Dave
Cone on, we've all had days when we're a little over enthusiastic about handing bibles to Senators...

---
According to the affidavit, Betancur was able to get permission to leave his home state of Maryland to travel to Washington D.C. while on probation in order to distribute bibles with an organization called Gideon International. Betancur has previously been able to travel to the capital with the group.
---
Old 18th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #2479
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Cone on, we've all had days when we're a little over enthusiastic about handing bibles to Senators...

---
According to the affidavit, Betancur was able to get permission to leave his home state of Maryland to travel to Washington D.C. while on probation in order to distribute bibles with an organization called Gideon International. Betancur has previously been able to travel to the capital with the group.
---
"Your honor, I thought that was how you spell 'bile'."
Old 18th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #2480
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not an IT person, but I would hope that laptops are just terminals and anything actually sensitive is on a secure network that can't be accessed remotely just by stealing hardware.

Apparently it was a small fire at a homeless encampment, not an attack.
There's a class of data that's called "Controlled Unclassified Information", the security of which is covered under several overlapping protocols and documents depending on what the data is. One such doc is publication NIST 800-171, which goes much further than, say, HIPPA in its controls. These protocols are then extended to cover commercial government contractors.

Generally speaking, it's data that is not at "secret level," but that the government would much prefer is kept secure at all times. This data can be moved around, and the idea is that commonly used "best practices" for electronic security (multi-factor authentication, drive encryption, strict access policies, etc) will ensure that it's managed properly and remain secure. Of course, the weakest links in all of that are usually those danged humans.

(Note that I have no idea what protocols apply directly to congresspeople and their aides.)

Last edited by HHellpop; 18th January 2021 at 09:19 AM.
HHellpop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events