IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 11th August 2022, 03:49 AM   #3161
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No surprise the northern suburbs are growing at a such a rapid state. Closer to the Emerald City……

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 07:45 PM   #3162
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Australia’s rabbit invasion traced back to single importation of 24 animals in 1859, study finds

Quote:
Population then exploded in what researchers say was ‘the fastest colonisation rate for an introduced mammal ever recorded’

The Australia-wide rabbit invasion resulted from a single introduction of just 24 animals in 1859, new research has confirmed.

Using historical and genetic data, scientists have pinpointed the origins of what they call “the fastest colonisation rate for an introduced mammal ever recorded”.

New research, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, has confirmed what historians have long suspected: that the country’s bunny infestation originated from Barwon Park, the estate of Thomas Austin, near Geelong in Victoria.

The European rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus, was originally introduced to mainland Australia on the first fleet in 1788, when five domestic rabbits were brought to Sydney.

But despite at least 90 subsequent importations, populations only exploded in the latter half of the 19th century – rabbits then spread across the entire Australian continent within 50 years, at a rate of 100km a year.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:00 PM   #3163
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Interesting detective work, but I was brought up to believe that Thomas Austin was the culprit beyond doubt.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:03 PM   #3164
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well there you go. From wiki.

Thomas Austin (1815 – 15 December 1871) was an English settler in Australia who is generally noted for the introduction of rabbits into Australia in 1859, even though rabbits had been brought previously to Australia by the First Fleet.

Rabbits came with the First Fleet but never bred. Amazing. Maybe they were all eaten before the fleet landed.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:04 PM   #3165
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, we've now got the genetic evidence to confirm it.
Old 25th September 2022, 11:08 PM   #3166
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

20th anniversary of the first Bali bombing coming soon.

I’ve been watching the four part series on Stan about the bombing. Very hard work and I’ve been watching it through tears. I’m into the third episode and it is brilliantly made. Some of the cast are recognisable, like Jason McCartney the AFL player who dragged a number of casualties out of the bar and let someone else take his place in the first evac flight. He came close to dying, but recovered and actually played a final AFL game.

They also showed a real news report when a bloated man was interviewed saying, in a matter of fact way, that he was burnt pretty bad. He died that night.

So if anyone can get access to this show, watch it. And have a thought for all 202 victims on October 12.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 25th September 2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 27th September 2022, 10:34 PM   #3167
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
20th anniversary of the first Bali bombing coming soon.

I’ve been watching the four part series on Stan about the bombing. Very hard work and I’ve been watching it through tears. I’m into the third episode and it is brilliantly made. Some of the cast are recognisable, like Jason McCartney the AFL player who dragged a number of casualties out of the bar and let someone else take his place in the first evac flight. He came close to dying, but recovered and actually played a final AFL game.

They also showed a real news report when a bloated man was interviewed saying, in a matter of fact way, that he was burnt pretty bad. He died that night.

So if anyone can get access to this show, watch it. And have a thought for all 202 victims on October 12.
A girl I knew died from burns sustained in the Bali bombing. I remember crying in a taxi when I'd just found out. It was traumatic for our whole town, she was well liked.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 11:05 PM   #3168
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
A girl I knew died from burns sustained in the Bali bombing. I remember crying in a taxi when I'd just found out. It was traumatic for our whole town, she was well liked.
A lot of people have stories like this. I knew one person killed at Port Arthur, but thankfully not Bali.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th September 2022, 06:21 PM   #3169
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

CSIRO expedition voyage to unexplored underwater mountains and sea floor around Australia's Indian Ocean Territories

I wanted to share this mostly for this quote:

Quote:
This mission will use a high-tech sonar system to survey the topography of the sea floor, as well as cameras and nets researchers hope will help them discover new species.

Ms Mackenzie said the team will be exploring depths of four and five kilometres and expect there to be some interesting creatures compared to those found closer to the surface.

"Down there you've got a lot of really blobby things, and a lot of really fangy things," she said.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts