ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 16th August 2013, 09:37 AM   #81
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17,775
whoops - deleted

Last edited by carlitos; 16th August 2013 at 09:38 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 09:48 AM   #82
Vermonter
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,017
Maybe Bigfoot has an invisibility field around him if no one can take clear pictures:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


As far as the picture and video from Chris goes...it's too indistinct. I see no movement aside from the camera shaking like a leaf. It could be almost anything.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 10:35 AM   #83
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 14,860
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yep taking pics in some environments and situations is easy, some it's not.
That seems to be working real good for you ...

Correa Neto just explained why it shouldn't be a problem...
__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 16th August 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 10:37 AM   #84
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,536
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Try the slowed down version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gYk7StLfg
What you're mistaking for movement here are camera jiggle, and changes in focus and zoom that affect the outline. If you pay more attention to the negative space, especially at the sides, you'll see that the dark thing doesn't go anywhere. It looks like a stump to me.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 11:06 AM   #85
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,514
@Night Walker, I was basically just turning Chris's own quote around on him, the one where he said he can't discuss anatomy.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 11:33 AM   #86
leisureclass
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
My bio is brief. And your point is what? It should list everything I've ever done?
When were you at Alamogordo and what was your role there? It's a simple question.
leisureclass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 11:35 AM   #87
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,591
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
That seems to be working real good for you ...

Correa Neto just explained why it shouldn't be a problem...
Yes, he did and it looks like you're perfectly willing to accept that statement as fact. Can we never learn?
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 11:37 AM   #88
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,591
Originally Posted by leisureclass View Post
When were you at Alamogordo and what was your role there? It's a simple question.
Yes it is and the answer is above.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 11:57 AM   #89
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Since the same methodology was used from Gorilla studies to locate the home range of the Bigfoot creatures, I'd have to say it is likely gorillas would have been detected as well if they too existed in KY. But for what is known, Bigfoot may simply be a different species of Gorilla.
What in the world are you on about? Home range? "would have been detected as well"? What sort of rational discussion is that?

How could bigfoot just be a different gorilla species?

What is known?

Is this a high school discussion in the cafeteria?

Gorillas couldn't hide in Kentucky.

Neither could bigfoot.

Anyone who thinks they could is delusional, imo.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:01 PM   #90
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
What you're mistaking for movement here are camera jiggle, and changes in focus and zoom that affect the outline. If you pay more attention to the negative space, especially at the sides, you'll see that the dark thing doesn't go anywhere. It looks like a stump to me.
Yes. It looks like a stump. If there's movement of the "subject", I can't detect it.

Let's have some stills from different angles of the spot.

I am beginning to think this this guy is a chain puller.

No one, who is rational, could believe that is a family of primates, imo.

I am about done humoring this guy.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 16th August 2013 at 12:04 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:04 PM   #91
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Very nice capture but a little misdirecting though. The better still cap is here and needs no circles of red.
Calling that a family of primates is a much larger misdirection.

Promoting this hoax is also.

Fortunately your effort is not even as good as creekfreak's, and so it will have little impact.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:08 PM   #92
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 14,860
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes, he did and it looks like you're perfectly willing to accept that statement as fact. Can we never learn?
Probably not..

We're still humoring you ...
__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:14 PM   #93
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Next time you're at the zoo, hop the fence and make a run directly at a silver back male gorilla. Let us know the results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvIgHb2npOQ
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:21 PM   #94
Correa Neto
Philosopher
 
Correa Neto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,578
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes, he did and it looks like you're perfectly willing to accept that statement as fact. Can we never learn?
OK, what about you learning to take pictures of real animals? First two, caps from video, second a photo. When can we expect similar pictures of bigfoots?







Yep, they are not Flipper.
__________________
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…

Last edited by Correa Neto; 16th August 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:23 PM   #95
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,514
Chris is of the opinion that we're the dishonest ones, according to his comment at the BFF.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 12:29 PM   #96
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
I'm beginning to think that he thinks it's funny to lead us on...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 01:03 PM   #97
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,798
Bulletmaker???
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 01:42 PM   #98
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,591
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I'm beginning to think that he thinks it's funny to lead us on...
No, but I do think it's funny when I am admonished by a member that: "You have no idea about primate anatomy" etc.. while in the same post they link to a pic of a Chimpanzee and try to tell me it's a Cross River Gorilla.

Now that's funny. I don't care which side you're on.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 01:49 PM   #99
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well, a number of folks have claimed something similar but yet no bigfoot body, not a single one. Ever. This in a continent where every available animal resource was exploited to the fullest extent possible. Passenger pigeon gone, bison nearly so. Wolves, brown bear, deer (whitetail, mule, Sitka, etc.), beaver, all manner of fur bearers and migrating waterfowl. Millions of examples of native wildlife but not one single example anywhere of this primate you folks claim to see just about everywhere in North America. Do you think this is reasonable?
In the meantime they've discovered the Olinguito just recently, and it didn't take them too long once they started looking. And still no physical trace of the much larger Bigfoot. Believer's gonna believe.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 04:55 PM   #100
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
No, but I do think it's funny when I am admonished by a member that: "You have no idea about primate anatomy" etc.. while in the same post they link to a pic of a Chimpanzee and try to tell me it's a Cross River Gorilla.

Now that's funny. I don't care which side you're on.
I took the wiki member's word for it without examining the photo (viewing only the small thumbnail version on the CR gorilla wiki page), and admitted the error the instant I discovered it. You lied and pretended you knew all along it was a chimp, and when members here caught you in the lie you dug in your heels and refused to admit error.

Despite my mistake, my points remain: you don't have any expertise in primate anatomy and your style of argumentation is to ignore effective rebuttals to your invented garbage and to pretend you never make mistakes. Good luck with that!
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 05:18 PM   #101
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,447
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
No, but I do think it's funny when I am admonished by a member that: "You have no idea about primate anatomy" etc.. while in the same post they link to a pic of a Chimpanzee and try to tell me it's a Cross River Gorilla.

Now that's funny. I don't care which side you're on.
You did not have any idea that the pic was not of a gorilla until you read shrike's post.

There is no way you would not have immediately jeered about it and preened over your superiority.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 06:22 PM   #102
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,514
He came here for a rebuttal of Munns' presentation, got several and waved them off, still asking for a rebuttal. Squatchy.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 06:32 PM   #103
leisureclass
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
No, but I do think it's funny when I am admonished by a member that: "You have no idea about primate anatomy" etc.. while in the same post they link to a pic of a Chimpanzee and try to tell me it's a Cross River Gorilla.

Now that's funny. I don't care which side you're on.

The poster admitted their mistake, explained how it happened, and apologized. You claimed to have known it all along and threw in some bogus academic credential to boot. See the difference?
leisureclass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 07:14 PM   #104
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,012
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Jodie,

What part of " I can affirm " is confusing you ?


Tontar:
Great observations !

My reading comprehension is excellent. He clearly thinks it is evidence but plainly states here that no one else will recognize it as such for obvious and justifiable reasons. So what other verb phrase would you like to discuss out of context?
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 07:21 PM   #105
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,012
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Try the slowed down version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gYk7StLfg
I vaguely remember seeing what I thought was a different version of this on the BFF years ago. In that one I did see what looked like something reaching backwards. In this I can't see anything but the stationary dark spot with lighter branches in front that are moving. Is it the same video with different contrast?
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 07:35 PM   #106
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes I see movement, I'm not alone in that. A close study is required to reveal movement of the large subject and a close study of his right shoulder, facing the camera, is needed to view movement of the individual behind him. It helps if you're looking for a "back rub" type movement.

We were approx 115 to 120 yards away. Persons present were myself, another researcher and his son. After recording the video, the best thing to do was to end the encounter. Any movement toward the creatures would have provoked a response. Since I didn't know what response they'd have and my friend's son was present, even though I was armed , I think we did the best thing.

As a matter of record, I wouldn't suggest you walk up on a wild Gorilla either. After studying methods used by Gorilla researchers, I modeled my observation methods very similar to theirs.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Next time you're at the zoo, hop the fence and make a run directly at a silver back male gorilla. Let us know the results.
As long as I'm armed, no prob.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2013, 08:10 PM   #107
JTF
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 858
Take The Freakin' Shot

I would cut Chris some slack, for Gimlin was also armed and he had a much clearer shot at Patty. The PGF could have mirrored the Zapruder Film, but Gimlin didn't want to risk blowing Bob H's brains all over Bluff Creek.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 06:25 AM   #108
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 14,860
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
My reading comprehension is excellent. He clearly thinks it is evidence but plainly states here that no one else will recognize it as such for obvious and justifiable reasons. So what other verb phrase would you like to discuss out of context?
There is just something wrong with that..

What rational person considers something to be ' clear ' evidence, that no one else will recognize ?


I don't understand why you are apologizing for this nonsense..
__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 07:56 AM   #109
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
No, but I do think it's funny when I am admonished by a member that: "You have no idea about primate anatomy" etc.. while in the same post they link to a pic of a Chimpanzee and try to tell me it's a Cross River Gorilla.

Now that's funny. I don't care which side you're on.
How can you look at that film and not see a guy in a suit?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 08:55 AM   #110
Tontar
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
And now we see a claim that these giant furry people are roaming around Kentucky undetected.

It boggles the mind.

Let's substitute some gorillas for bigfoot.

If gorillas were living in Kentucky, would they be undetected?
This is the point at which magic enters the picture. Not exactly the same sort of magic where bigfoots come and go between different realities, although some are not above using that form of "now you see me, now you don't because I'm cloaked", but more along the lines of magically creating a biological creature that is possessed of magical abilities. Such as the ability to be as smart as humans, or smarter than them, yet don't ever progress from the dumb hairy beast that lives in freezing cold weather, stinks to high heaven, has to chase down deer and bash them in order to eat, yet somehow are smart enough to realize that they should hide from humans in a way that no other creature has ever learned to do. Not even the animals that we have hunted for food for eons. Not even the animals that we have hunted to extinction. For a creature that we have no record of ever having hunted, the bigfoot, to have evolved such a unique and unprecedented ability to hide from humans, is pure magic creation. It defies all logic.

It's also magic to create the behavior where bigfoots hide their footprints. Again, unprecedented in the animal kingdom, yet again somehow the bigfoots have some instinctive knowledge that they must hide from humans, for who knows what reason, and so they go through their day to day amblings trying to avoid leaving tracks so in the even some human might venture deep into the forest they won't find tracks. I hate to sound rude, but this sort of thing is insane thinking. Especially when you examine what many believers consider to be legitimate evidence, evidence that completely contradicts these outlandish theories of avoidance, fear and stealth. Blatantly obvious prints, sightings and so on. Throwing rocks and pine cones. Territorial displays, rummaging through garbage cans, doing the highway dash, imitating a deer in the headlights, but oh wait, they are endowed with incredible intelligence, an instinct to hide their tracks, are forest ninjas.

Really, bigfoots really are supposed to think about hiding their tracks so humans won't know they exist? For no historical reason whatsoever?

I've always loved the idea of substituting gorillas for sasquatch when discussing their ability to go undetected because I think we all kind of realize it would be impossible to keep thousands of gorillas hidden in the forests here. So that's where the magic HAS to come in, there has to be magic to hide a thousand gorillas in the US.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 11:10 AM   #111
Tontar
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
1) Provoke it! Bigfoots won't get violent with humans because they know that once they did the humans would bring the pain with their fire sticks.

2) Why not circle around and slowly advance on their position until the bigfoots peacefully moved off? Then you could walk to where they were hanging out, collect what must have been several pounds of steaming squatch poop right there, and be THE GUY who collected the material from which the DNA was obtained to solve this squatchy mystery forever.
Exactly! This kind of stuff is why I always call BS on these kinds of encounters. Cases in point, people see bears, big bears, mean bears, bears known to kill and eat people, yet when seen at OVE 100 yards, and videotaped, people will still move just a bit closer, see if they can get a bit of a response, and only retreat when they get an aggressive response. It happens with lions, rhinos, elephants, all manner of beasts known ot kill people, yet people always manage to push just a bit further, to push the limits just a bit more to get just a bit more video. But never with bigfoot. Never with the animal that has never been known to do any harm to people, never a documented attack, never a person bitten, bruised, arms broken, nothing.

So I just don't buy the excuse offered at all. These guys see a dark spot in the bushes over a hundred yards away, assume it is alive, assume it is a bigfoot, and because it is a bigfoot it needs to be retreated from, because you know, if it were a bigfoot, and they did pursue it, they might get some actual footage of the hairy giant in action. But nope, turn and run away and make lousy stories about why they only got pareidolia images. This story, and the video don't pass the BS test at all.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 11:14 AM   #112
Tontar
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Next time you're at the zoo, hop the fence and make a run directly at a silver back male gorilla. Let us know the results.
Next time you're at the zoo, don't hop the fence to the bigfoot exhibit, but try to get a clear picture of it.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 11:15 AM   #113
Tontar
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes it was but some of my background details are personal and I won't share specific details on JREF.
Maybe it was secret research into trying to manufacture a humanzee?
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 02:49 PM   #114
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Chris, when you address how the jigsaw stitching on the Gemora ape suit exactly matches the funny shapes on Patty's right thigh, and acknowledge that the Cross River gorilla was identified as a western gorilla as early as 1904, before being designated as a distinct subspecies 100+ years later, then you can get away with casting flippant aspersions referencing "intellectual kiddie pools".

Until then, you're out of your depth.
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 03:16 PM   #115
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,692
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
After studying methods used by Gorilla researchers, I modeled my observation methods very similar to theirs.
Except they weren't researching shadows (nor blobs, nor stumps, nor fleeing moose) but an extant creature.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 03:42 PM   #116
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,572
Originally Posted by Tontar View Post
This is the point at which magic enters the picture.
This acceptance of what must be magical is not unlike the beliefs of Christianity which is also a common belief among Bigfooters. It appears to me that the presence of Christians into Bigfootery is greater than that of the population in general. They would probably agree that the world was and is different than the views of scientists and so called skeptics.

Chris, are you a Christian? What about creation vs evolution?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 03:59 PM   #117
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,012
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
There is just something wrong with that..

What rational person considers something to be ' clear ' evidence, that no one else will recognize ?


I don't understand why you are apologizing for this nonsense..
Because he says he saw the subject.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 04:46 PM   #118
dmaker
Graduate Poster
 
dmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,256
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes it was but some of my background details are personal and I won't share specific details on JREF.
Chris, if I have missed something up thread then I apologize, but I scrolled up a few pages and the only mention that I can see from you is that your bio is brief and personal information is something you do not wish to share. Yet your bio does not mention any work at a primate research center. So your claim to such is simply along the lines of, " I did it, but I don't want to talk about it?" Other than, of course, to bring it up here in the first place? But when pressed for details, you clam up? Surely you can see how that looks?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 04:50 PM   #119
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,591
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This acceptance of what must be magical is not unlike the beliefs of Christianity which is also a common belief among Bigfooters. It appears to me that the presence of Christians into Bigfootery is greater than that of the population in general. They would probably agree that the world was and is different than the views of scientists and so called skeptics.

Chris, are you a Christian? What about creation vs evolution?
This is a common mistake among skeptics. They tend to classify Bigfooters along with a faith based religion of one type or the other.

Many witnesses of bigfoot are eye witnesses. The same can't be said of faith based beliefs.

There is no reference to bigfoot in the Bible. Maybe the odd hairy child being born once in a while, or giants, but not definitively Bigfoot.

Granted, those who are only looking at what evidence is available for bigfoot without having an actual visual encounter may believe that there's a good chance the creature exists without ever having seen one. There are none in that classification that have "0" doubts though.

Am I a Christian? I was raised as a Baptist but do not attend any church. I am certain evolution is the correct path as I have witnessed evidence of parallel evolution. Namely that of a large bipedal primate.

I consider myself a "knower" rather than a "believer" because I have actually witnessed the creatures personally.

It would seem I'm in a hostile environment. By my being here it seems many must feel threatened because I've witnessed the very thing they deny. By attacking me or my mental state, they seem to feel more secure in their disbelief. That's unfortunate because I really wish everyone could experience an encounter on their own. Not on some pay-per-trek bigfoot adventure ripoff, but experience them by doing the homework, finding a good area and making treks into that area. That is the way to solve the mystery. Even if you think there is no bigfoot, a little exercise isn't gonna hurt. Some time spent in nature is a good thing. Critical thinking implies an open mind to discovery, not a closed book denial.

Now, can we please get on another subject besides myself.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 04:58 PM   #120
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,591
Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Chris, if I have missed something up thread then I apologize, but I scrolled up a few pages and the only mention that I can see from you is that your bio is brief and personal information is something you do not wish to share. Yet your bio does not mention any work at a primate research center. So your claim to such is simply along the lines of, " I did it, but I don't want to talk about it?" Other than, of course, to bring it up here in the first place? But when pressed for details, you clam up? Surely you can see how that looks?
How about everyone here type in their name, address and complete work history with dates and times. We'll see how that looks first.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.