ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hallucinations , Jhana Samadhi , psychology , psychology research

Reply
Old 15th October 2017, 06:07 AM   #41
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,138
Originally Posted by wengehuang View Post
For your convenience, I pick some essence here:<snip>
TN;DR (Too Nonsensical, Didn't Read)
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:35 AM   #42
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
TN;DR (Too Nonsensical, Didn't Read)
This is a tad unfair. It may still all go south, but the content in the recent post is not irrational.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:43 AM   #43
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,138
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
This is a tad unfair. It may still all go south, but the content in the recent post is not irrational.
Maybe not, but it is incomprehensible, at least.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:09 AM   #44
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
I have had several 'Sleep Paralysis' episodes in my life complete with tactile, auditory and visual hallucinations. SP is a stress and fatigue related sleep disorder and nothing more. I've actually seen 'The Old Hag' twice so I know how terrifying and realistic these hallucinations can be. I will still sometimes get an auditory hallucination when waking up but they now rare and quite benign.

I can understand why people think that they've actually seen a 'demon' but it's really just all in the head. There's a perfectly rational medical explanation for these types of hallucinations and it has nothing to do with the paranormal or ESP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jthU9G5PSho

https://www.quora.com/What-causes-sleep-paralysis

https://www.amazon.ca/Wrestling-Ghos...ng+with+ghosts
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark

Last edited by Autolite; 15th October 2017 at 07:15 AM.
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:33 AM   #45
wengehuang
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Maybe not, but it is incomprehensible, at least.
Sorry, English is not my native language. But it also depends on one's intelligence to grasp the logic of a new theory.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:53 AM   #46
wengehuang
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I skimmed it. In my recollection, it's much the same as the last time you posted.

Essentially I have no problem with what you say. It's said in a somewhat verbose manner and could do with a diet.

I read it as: Senses may be triggered within the brain, sans a sense organ's involvement. When mixed with the regular operation of the senses, this causes conflicting interpretations in the mind; delusions of varying kinds result.
Sorry, English is not my native language. I have tried to make it clearer this time. You get the point, and actually I should make it pithier. However, besides your comments, what is your point, or original idea about Paranormal Phenomenon? Sorry.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:01 AM   #47
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by wengehuang View Post
Sorry, English is not my native language. But it also depends on one's intelligence to grasp the logic of a new theory.
Are you calling it a "theory" in a formal sense? (Because I don't think it's up to that level; however, I am not an expert; nor did I look beyond the abstract you posted.)

Originally Posted by wengehuang View Post
.. I should make it pithier.
Pithier implies humour. It probably doesn't need that. It can do with simplification — removing repeats, preferring shorter words and so on.

Quote:
However, besides your comments, what is your point, or original idea about Paranormal Phenomenon? Sorry.
I am not sure I follow that question.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 11:10 AM   #48
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,138
Originally Posted by wengehuang View Post
Sorry, English is not my native language. But it also depends on one's intelligence to grasp the logic of a new theory.
I don't think you know what logic is. Or theory. Or intelligence.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #49
wengehuang
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Donn View Post


Pithier implies humour. It probably doesn't need that. It can do with simplification — removing repeats, preferring shorter words and so on.


Thanks a lot. You are right.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:32 PM   #50
wengehuang
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
I don't think you know what logic is. Or theory. Or intelligence.
I think the forum needs contribution and discussion, not quarrel.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:15 PM   #51
Apology
This title intentionally left blank
 
Apology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,126
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Might as well have a discussion of what the temperature of a fire-breathing dragon is on Mars.

And what the heck is "ASC"?
Tell me more about this dragon. Is it more full of hot air on Earth than it is on Mars? How hard does it blow? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:34 PM   #52
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,138
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"ASC" seems to mean "altered states of consciousness" in the opening post, see
"Keywords: ..." at the end of the page: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=2959315
"Altered states of consciousness." I have one of those every night. It's called "dreaming."
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:20 PM   #53
Maksutov
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I have had several 'Sleep Paralysis' episodes in my life complete with tactile, auditory and visual hallucinations. SP is a stress and fatigue related sleep disorder and nothing more. I've actually seen 'The Old Hag' twice so I know how terrifying and realistic these hallucinations can be. I will still sometimes get an auditory hallucination when waking up but they now rare and quite benign.

I can understand why people think that they've actually seen a 'demon' but it's really just all in the head. There's a perfectly rational medical explanation for these types of hallucinations and it has nothing to do with the paranormal or ESP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jthU9G5PSho

https://www.quora.com/What-causes-sleep-paralysis

https://www.amazon.ca/Wrestling-Ghos...ng+with+ghosts
Very interesting. Are you familiar with Susan Clancy's work?

https://www.amazon.com/Abducted-Peop...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 01:12 PM   #54
wasapi
Illuminator
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,118
In June I had a stroke. Since then I have had 3 or 4 hallucinations. One of them was of my father, another of a favorite pet, both of them died many years ago. In researching strokes, I know that this is not uncommon. It makes me wonder if people who have a brain dysfunction mistake these incidents as paranormal?
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #55
Axxman300
Master Poster
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 2,573
I came to this conclusion about a decade ago when I hung up my ghost hunting spurs. People's brains misinterpret a variety of subtle external stimuli that causes hallucinations that are profoundly real. I believe this happens to almost everyone, but they never know it because the hallucination is subtle or unremarkable.

The next step on the research level is learning how to induce specific hallucinations for fun and profit.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 03:15 PM   #56
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,571
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
In June I had a stroke. Since then I have had 3 or 4 hallucinations. One of them was of my father, another of a favorite pet, both of them died many years ago. In researching strokes, I know that this is not uncommon. It makes me wonder if people who have a brain dysfunction mistake these incidents as paranormal?
I was dating this woman who had had a traumatic brain injury about fifteen or so years ago (when we had first met) and she developed a large fantasy world regarding the TBI and the role she attributed to it in her life. She had also apparently had a near-death experience and had a detailed description of what occurred during that event; all invented, of course. She discovered that she was "the savior of all mankind" and was here on Earth to bring everyone into the awareness that we are all one — and we are all God at that. I've mentioned her before here on ISF and I do think that at least some people will develop a fantasy to help explain either what happened (like a catastrophic injury) or what their place is in this life.

Regarding the last bit, I think that's what every person has to develop for themselves; some can manage to do it without fantasy, but some seem to rely upon it.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 09:19 PM   #57
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I came to this conclusion about a decade ago when I hung up my ghost hunting spurs. People's brains misinterpret a variety of subtle external stimuli that causes hallucinations that are profoundly real. I believe this happens to almost everyone, but they never know it because the hallucination is subtle or unremarkable.

The next step on the research level is learning how to induce specific hallucinations for fun and profit.
I love to explore abandoned places, I get in usually with the pretense of telling security I'm filming a ghost hunting show.

Given the right mood, It's a fun self spook
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 02:07 PM   #58
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator
 
MinnesotaBrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,521
I think you could extrapolate from that that were are all suffering, for all we know, from false internal perceptions perhaps held together with some form of ESP. What do you think? Or, perhaps were are living in a globe walled off from the rest of the universe for the pleasure of others.
__________________
Formerly known as MNBrant.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 07:30 PM   #59
wengehuang
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
New update:

This paper attempts to make a whole new interpretation of Altered States of Consciousness (ASC) induced by meditation, mind-altering drugs, hypnosis, or physiological lesion. On the basis of empirical materials, we summarizes four essential phenomena (hallucinations, paranormal phenomena, the more sensitive awareness and mystical experiences) in ASC after an initial clarification. However, the existence of paranormal phenomena, especially extrasensory perception (ESP), has been disputed for more than one century. Therefore, we firstly propose a novel hypothesis that ESP happens because there are two pathways to affect perception and the essence of ESP is that internal false stimulations are mistaken as external objective stimulations which enter through various senses and external objective stimulations as perceptions which do not result from various senses. To support this hypothesis, we develop an original model of hallucinations: When internal false stimulations and external objective stimulations affect perception together, the changes in the relation of their strength will result in the consistence, breakdown and re-consistence of the five senses, leading to three states of hallucinations (one can distinguish reality from fantasy, one cannot distinguish reality from fantasy, and reality and fantasy are totally reversed). This model can also explain the generation mechanism of out-of-body experiences, synesthesia and many other marvelous psychedelic phenomena in ASC. After that, we probe into the more sensitive awareness, and define jhāna samādhi in an explicit way. On such basis, a unified analytical framework will be made to reveal the essence of ASC: The reduction of self-awareness results in three mechanisms (the more sensitive awareness, hallucinations and jhāna samādhi) and the relation of them is figured out. Finally, this paper also reveals the essence of the Buddhist deep insight and the mystery of cessation and insight.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 03:51 AM   #60
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,534
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
This is a tad unfair. It may still all go south, but the content in the recent post is not irrational.
Donn, thank you for taking one for the team and ploughing through it. I've had a couple of attempts at wading through it but tbh I'm finding it turgid and frankly terribly written (it is also as New Years Day which I admit isn't helpful!).

So far as I can see the posts say little more in substance than "hallucinations occur in the brain and don't reflect external stimulus, when they are sufficiently convincing people mistake them for real and believe they have had paranormal experiences". Is this a fair summary?

If so then other than "Well, yes." Is there really anything else to say? It doesn't seem either novel or controversial. Is there something new hidden in the word salad that you could find?
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 07:41 AM   #61
dann
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,465
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It makes me wonder if people who have a brain dysfunction mistake these incidents as paranormal?

Jill Taylor's stroke gave her some rather new agey ideas.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 08:16 AM   #62
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,495
The Charles Bonnet syndrome is to do with hallucinations mainly for those with sight loss. I have had some but mine are a particular pattern which varies in size, shrinks or expands and sometimes has a 3D effect. It is actually a very pleasant pattern and I wish I could paint it. Occasionally I have images of what appear to be real people, but they are only fleeting and I know what they are. I had an interesting phone call with someone in the RNIB a few weeks ago because, after a lapse of years, the pattern has been showing up, but as it is only in a simple form I wondered whether it could be classified as the syndrome, but apparenty any such hallucination comes under that heading.
It is the retina sending false messages to the brain because it is not performing its proper job, it seems!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:32 AM   #63
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
So far as I can see the posts say little more in substance than "hallucinations occur in the brain and don't reflect external stimulus, when they are sufficiently convincing people mistake them for real and believe they have had paranormal experiences". Is this a fair summary?
Near as I can tell, yes.

The recent "update" is quite hard to read. (Why are paragraphs so hard to use?) It has added some mention of Buddhist philosophy.

Frankly, I'm under the whelm.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:36 AM   #64
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
The Charles Bonnet syndrome is to do with hallucinations mainly for those with sight loss. I have had some but mine are a particular pattern which varies in size, shrinks or expands and sometimes has a 3D effect. It is actually a very pleasant pattern and I wish I could paint it. Occasionally I have images of what appear to be real people, but they are only fleeting and I know what they are. I had an interesting phone call with someone in the RNIB a few weeks ago because, after a lapse of years, the pattern has been showing up, but as it is only in a simple form I wondered whether it could be classified as the syndrome, but apparenty any such hallucination comes under that heading.
It is the retina sending false messages to the brain because it is not performing its proper job, it seems!
How interesting. I get the occasional intense white flashes - like a camera flash going off. Usually as I fall asleep.

I also have a rich swamp of sounds that I'm fairly sure don't emerge from outside.

Still no Jesus or Mo, though! :P
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:43 AM   #65
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,534
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Near as I can tell, yes.

The recent "update" is quite hard to read. (Why are paragraphs so hard to use?) It has added some mention of Buddhist philosophy.

Frankly, I'm under the whelm.
Thanks, it seems like a very long winded statement of the bleeding obvious, next up ten thousand words on the discovery that water has hydrological properties!
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:46 PM   #66
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,495
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
How interesting. I get the occasional intense white flashes - like a camera flash going off. Usually as I fall asleep.

I also have a rich swamp of sounds that I'm fairly sure don't emerge from outside.

Still no Jesus or Mo, though! :P
If you don't mind, I'll just take this opportunity to mention a general, but very important point: if ever anyone has any unusual phenomenon with sight, do not wait for an appointment with a GP and a referral, go straight to Eye Casualty. They would much rather have someone call and find that there is nothing wrong, than for any damage to have been done which could have been treated.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:29 PM   #67
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
If you don't mind, I'll just take this opportunity to mention a general, but very important point: if ever anyone has any unusual phenomenon with sight, do not wait for an appointment with a GP and a referral, go straight to Eye Casualty.
It does worry me a little, and I'd do so, but my country and location within it put me far from the good medicine.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 08:38 AM   #68
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,495
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It does worry me a little, and I'd do so, but my country and location within it put me far from the good medicine.
Apologies if I caused any concern, but I expect you are able to phone someone? In my experience of having to phone occasionally, I have always found the Practice Nurses to be very good at assessing whether I needed to be seen or not.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.