ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2017, 01:11 PM   #41
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Pssht, it's not important to convince your kids that Santa exists. For maximum control, you need to convince them that KRAMPUS exists.

I also used to leave my nephew a present from "Willy the One-eyed Elf" every year. He finally got the joke when he was about fifteen and I must say, the prank was well worth the wait.
I tip my hat to that long-con. Well done.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:15 AM   #42
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Pssht, it's not important to convince your kids that Santa exists. For maximum control, you need to convince them that KRAMPUS exists.
... my wife won't let me.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 07:39 PM   #43
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that, are they?

Personally I think the Santa Claus story is an excellent way of training kids to be sceptical. They work it out eventually, and can then apply the same reasoning process to other myths. I always say I stopped believing in god shortly after I stopped believing in Father Christmas, and for exactly the same reason.
That's a stretch though. I can think of better ways of teaching skepticism than a several years long lesson of buying expensive presents that I can't even take credit for giving.
Old 14th December 2017, 09:50 AM   #44
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That's a stretch though. I can think of better ways of teaching skepticism than a several years long lesson of buying expensive presents that I can't even take credit for giving.
That's the thing, though. As a parent you "get credit" any time your kid is happy or doing well. Even if they are thanking someone else. When one of their teachers makes their day, you get a good day, too. Nothing makes me happier than my kid being happy. It's a weird thing, really.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2017, 10:01 AM   #45
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

A colleague once told me of a Christmas where they gave his kids all the presents they'd got them and told them they were from Father Christmas, and then the kids opened all their other presents which had labels saying they were from Aunty Sylvia, or whoever. Naturally the kids then wanted to know why their cheapskate parents hadn't also bought them presents.
Old 14th December 2017, 01:50 PM   #46
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
A colleague once told me of a Christmas where they gave his kids all the presents they'd got them and told them they were from Father Christmas, and then the kids opened all their other presents which had labels saying they were from Aunty Sylvia, or whoever. Naturally the kids then wanted to know why their cheapskate parents hadn't also bought them presents.
Loss Leader's dad had the perfect response, if you'll allow some slight editing:

You enjoying that refrigerator? Merry Christmas!

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 08:06 AM   #47
Armitage72
Master Poster

My parents always divided the presents into two groups: half were from Santa and half were from them.

I remember conducting an experiment to determine if the Tooth Fairy existed. I lost a tooth without telling my parents, and then put it under my pillow to see if I would still get money. From that result I extrapolated everyone else.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal