ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th December 2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

MY enclosed area theory and belief in ghosts

There is a house in my town that is huge. It has three full stories and an attic and full basement. Numerous sightings of ghosts have been reported mostly but not entirely by children.

Searching every nook and cranny of this building I have come to believe certain people see ghosts there because they feel someone should be there occupying all the empty spaces.

Humans evolved during times when large enclosed spaces were rare. If you came upon a cave someone or something was sure to be living there. You expected to see some human, hominid or animal occupying the cave or whatever.

The house is now occupied by a law firm and no spectral sightings have been reported.
Old 17th December 2017, 09:28 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
The house is now occupied by a law firm and no spectral sightings have been reported.

Proof that even the dead have standards?
Old 17th December 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
simonxlong
Thinker

There is a house in my town that is huge. It has three full stories and an attic and full basement. Numerous sightings of ghosts have been reported mostly but not entirely by children.

Searching every nook and cranny of this building I have come to believe certain people see ghosts there because they feel someone should be there occupying all the empty spaces.

Humans evolved during times when large enclosed spaces were rare. If you came upon a cave someone or something was sure to be living there. You expected to see some human, hominid or animal occupying the cave or whatever.

I agree that this could be one of the reasons that some people see ghosts. Almost everywhere we go into on a daily base is in "use" in someway. I think when the lack of use seems out of place, as in the case of an abandoned building, it causes a subconscious reaction because your mind sees it as abnormal. Even something like going to your work place at night, when no one else is there, can be disconcerting. You're always there with other people, so your mind sees the lack of occupancy as an anomaly, putting you in a state of heightened awareness.

Once you get into that suggestive state, it becomes much easier to begin to imagine things that aren't there. If you already have a predisposition to believing in the supernatural, it won't be hard to make the leap that a place is haunted.
simonxlong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 12:19 PM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I find large buildings (more than a couple of stories) without windows slightly disconcerting: factories, granaries and the like. I don't know why but it's not because I'm thinking there's spectral activity going on.
Old 17th December 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Pope130
Master Poster

This idea makes a lot of sense. I've had occasion to be in large office and industrial buildings when they are closed or abandoned. Often a very odd "spooky" feeling to them. The lack of something you expect to be there could well be the cause, similar to the startlement when a constant background noise (like a ventilator) stops. You didn't really notice when it was there, but it feels wrong when it's gone.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Axxman300
Master Poster

I'm sure this is part of the problem. There is something to be said for prehistoric/evolutionary conditioning. Combine this with cultural conditioning(folk tales, movies, etc) and it's no wonder large empty buildings develop reputations for being haunted.

If you think about it, they all have the same back stories where employees were killed in accidents (these are never confirmed), and later there are stories about street gangs/drug dealers/homeless people dying/murdered inside the buildings (again with no actual documentation). Over time these stories are shared without scrutiny of any kind, and are just accepted within the community where the building is located. Of course the stories of murder and mayhem get wilder over time, as do the ghost stories.

So by the time someone works up the courage to sneak inside one of these places they're expecting Freddy Kruger. Every noise is mysterious, hysteria takes over easily.
Old 19th December 2017, 08:57 AM   #7
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If this were the case then I'd see ghosts all the time, considering I work and have worked in numerous places after hours and on my own, including hospitals and various old hospital wings under-construction, yet have seen absolutely sod-all.

Most people who see ghosts are either intentionally looking for them, and thus see them around every corner (same with UFO hunters, Bigfoot hunters and everything in between) or are simply mistaken, drunk, or under some type of mental strain.

The amount of supposedly haunted buildings I've been in at night, on my own, and have never seen so much as a bloody orb. Heard lots of things, same as I have in my own house at night when it's settling down, nothing supernatural, just average noises that ghost hunters would assume came from some spirit, because that's what ghost hunters do.

Outdoorsmen see prints in the mud; it's an animal. Bigfooters see prints; it's a Bigfoot. UFO hunters see an alien craft, normal sods see a weather balloon. And so it goes. On and on.

This "spooky feeling" is essentially a load of nonsense, and is just a person's natural unease in an empty yet otherwise harmless building, and is brought about via ghost stories and Horror movies, and a real-life awareness of general weirdos and murderers being out there.

People think about ghosts way too much, no wonder they're seeing them in every other nook and cranny of old, abandoned buildings.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
If this were the case then I'd see ghosts all the time, considering I work and have worked in numerous places after hours and on my own, including hospitals and various old hospital wings under-construction, yet have seen absolutely sod-all.

Most people who see ghosts are either intentionally looking for them, and thus see them around every corner (same with UFO hunters, Bigfoot hunters and everything in between) or are simply mistaken, drunk, or under some type of mental strain.

The amount of supposedly haunted buildings I've been in at night, on my own, and have never seen so much as a bloody orb. Heard lots of things, same as I have in my own house at night when it's settling down, nothing supernatural, just average noises that ghost hunters would assume came from some spirit, because that's what ghost hunters do.

Outdoorsmen see prints in the mud; it's an animal. Bigfooters see prints; it's a Bigfoot. UFO hunters see an alien craft, normal sods see a weather balloon. And so it goes. On and on.

This "spooky feeling" is essentially a load of nonsense, and is just a person's natural unease in an empty yet otherwise harmless building, and is brought about via ghost stories and Horror movies, and a real-life awareness of general weirdos and murderers being out there.

People think about ghosts way too much, no wonder they're seeing them in every other nook and cranny of old, abandoned buildings.
Like I said the only people who "see" ghosts are children and some adults. One woman claims she saw one but she had been working two jobs and this was her second one waitressing when the house was a restaurant.

I personally do not believe in ghosts but I do believe that primitive man was leery of largely enclosed places such as caves because of the possibility that these spaces may be occupied by something or someone dangerous whether it be a bear or a disgruntled Neanderthal man with a stone axe waiting in the darkness.

Some people are prone to hallucination whereas others are not. You and I are not.
Old 19th December 2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Like I said the only people who "see" ghosts are children and some adults. One woman claims she saw one but she had been working two jobs and this was her second one waitressing when the house was a restaurant.

I personally do not believe in ghosts but I do believe that primitive man was leery of largely enclosed places such as caves because of the possibility that these spaces may be occupied by something or someone dangerous whether it be a bear or a disgruntled Neanderthal man with a stone axe waiting in the darkness.

Some people are prone to hallucination whereas others are not. You and I are not.
I'm sure plenty of people think they see ghosts. I've spoken to a bunch of them, from all walks of life, of many varied ages.

I just can't get on board with this as an explanation, considering the fact that ghosts are not just seen in abandoned buildings or empty spaces, but all over the place, and in frequently occupied buildings.

I think it's just down to the person, not the building. There are many reasons people think they see ghosts or apparitions, from superstition to them simply being highly suggestible.

So much of it has to do with a person already being exposed to such stories, and them being told they're entering a "haunted" place. If haunting's were truly a thing of reality, every square foot of the earth would likely be haunted, due to the amount of activity, "good and bad," that has gone on there, but this is rarely ever the case, and haunted places are usually pretty bog-standard on the ole spook-o-meter: graveyards, fields once used in battle, old houses, prisons, hospitals, mortuaries, etc.

When you look at ghost hunting, it generally consists of people running about old buildings in the dark, scaring themselves silly after droning on about some murder that took place there, or whatever else they spin to get themselves riled up for the hunt; basically foreplay.

When you have an environment like that, it's obvious that people will be seeing and hearing all manner of normal crap that they'll undoubtedly believe to be supernatural in origin.

For me, like Nessie and Bigfoot, a major factor in ghosts is people. We create them, we fear them, we talk about them and then we inevitably "see" and hear them.

We haunt ourselves.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I'm sure plenty of people think they see ghosts. I've spoken to a bunch of them, from all walks of life, of many varied ages.

I just can't get on board with this as an explanation, considering the fact that ghosts are not just seen in abandoned buildings or empty spaces, but all over the place, and in frequently occupied buildings.

I think it's just down to the person, not the building. There are many reasons people think they see ghosts or apparitions, from superstition to them simply being highly suggestible.

So much of it has to do with a person already being exposed to such stories, and them being told they're entering a "haunted" place. If haunting's were truly a thing of reality, every square foot of the earth would likely be haunted, due to the amount of activity, "good and bad," that has gone on there, but this is rarely ever the case, and haunted places are usually pretty bog-standard on the ole spook-o-meter: graveyards, fields once used in battle, old houses, prisons, hospitals, mortuaries, etc.

When you look at ghost hunting, it generally consists of people running about old buildings in the dark, scaring themselves silly after droning on about some murder that took place there, or whatever else they spin to get themselves riled up for the hunt; basically foreplay.

When you have an environment like that, it's obvious that people will be seeing and hearing all manner of normal crap that they'll undoubtedly believe to be supernatural in origin.

For me, like Nessie and Bigfoot, a major factor in ghosts is people. We create them, we fear them, we talk about them and then we inevitably "see" and hear them.

We haunt ourselves.
I agree and I couldn't have described the phenomena more accurately. Thank you.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:30 AM   #11
TX50
Graduate Poster

I understand this sort of thing is an area of research that Richard Wiseman is working on. The subjective feeling of "spookiness" is real but ghosts are [assumed] not [to be].
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 04:49 PM   #12
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Can anyone point to documentation from non-Western cultures that show the same phenomena -- not the ghosts, but the belief in them and the sightings of ... something ... in similar settings?
Old 20th December 2017, 04:56 PM   #13
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Can anyone point to documentation from non-Western cultures that show the same phenomena -- not the ghosts, but the belief in them and the sightings of ... something ... in similar settings?
Good question, I believe Asia and Japan have similar traditions about spirits in buildings, but then they also have similar traditions of building large, permanent, structures. I'd be really interested in traditions relating to nomadic cultures in this respect. Haunted Yurts?
Old 27th December 2017, 11:42 AM   #14
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Many countries around the world share the same typical archetypal ghosts and phantoms as we do. It's generally the same regarding "haunted places." Changi prison, in Singapore, is a renowned hotbed of supernatural activity, like many of our Western prisons are supposed to be, and it's the same for all other manner of typical haunted places.

Ghosts/spirits are pretty much a worldwide thing, for many cultures. The settings are mostly the same, too. It's a human thing, not really a regional thing.

Old 27th December 2017, 11:45 AM   #15
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Good question, I believe Asia and Japan have similar traditions about spirits in buildings, but then they also have similar traditions of building large, permanent, structures. I'd be really interested in traditions relating to nomadic cultures in this respect. Haunted Yurts?
With stretches of sea, land and desert said to be haunted the world over, it's a far-reaching thing.

There are stories of ghosts attached to almost every place on earth, and I say "almost" because I can't verify that it's actually everywhere, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was. From ghosts beneath the waves at shipwrecks, to ghosts in castles, houses, hospitals, prisons, caves, mountains, lakes, forests, fields, etc, etc; it's as common as muck.

Old 27th December 2017, 12:52 PM   #16
Axxman300
Master Poster

Nomadic cultures tend to have mobile spirits. The Bedouin have the Jinn for example. Their superstitions mix with their mythologies due to their keeping of oral traditions, which is charming, but not always helpful.

Ancient temples being patrolled by vengeful spirits and curses goes all the way back. It was a great way to keep people from sneaking in and stealing things.

Ghosts were used for public safety, example: people get lost/eaten by bears in the nearby forest. Solution? Forest is haunted.

The irony being that today most people don't believe in ghosts, but still do stupid things around bears.

Go figure.
Old 28th December 2017, 07:28 AM   #17
fuelair
Suspended

Proof that even the dead have standards?
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal