ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:13 PM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The nice thing about democracy is that you donít need a definitive answer.
I'm not sure I agree. People tend to choose more freedom even if it's at their detriment, and we so often don't know what we actually want.

Anyway, it's a discussion for another time. I should make another thread for it.

Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 12:33 PM   #122
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm not sure I agree. People tend to choose more freedom even if it's at their detriment, and we so often don't know what we actually want.

Anyway, it's a discussion for another time. I should make another thread for it.
Iíd suggest itís just the opposite. Most of the freedom issues that arise tend to be esoteric or hypothetical so if give people something has a small tangible impact on their life they side with that instead. Look how readily people submit to having their activity on the internet or physical location comprehensively tracked in order to get some trivial ďfreeĒ benefit or application.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:48 PM   #123
ahhell
Muse

I agree with lomiller on this, people seem more likely to choose security or even just convenience over notions like freedom, liberty, or privacy.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 12:51 PM   #124
Belz...
Fiend God

So happiness trumps freedom then?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 12:55 PM   #125
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I think there's a false dichotomy there. Both properties have continuua and individuals find their own tradeoff point.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:57 PM   #126
Belz...
Fiend God

I can still ask whether it's true in general.

Old 12th January 2018, 12:57 PM   #127
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Errrrr... sorta.

In general people will pick short term happiness over long term happiness* and in general "freedom" as a concept leans more toward the long term happiness side while security leans more toward the short.

So long story short, instant gratification.

*Without going down a whole deep rabbit hole of nuance it's not literal dictionary definition "happiness" in all of these cases but a broad range of positive emotions.

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 05:01 PM   #128
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Further discussion should refer to the issues posed in Ch.13-17 of Watership Down
Old 12th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #129
Mumbles
Illuminator

The way I usually understand the term is rather to mean "taking complex social or political issues and reducing them to one's identity without justification." i.e. being black means you're oppressed, regardless of any other piece of data or context.
That may be what people say it means. In practice, it comes off as, say, Dave Rubin whining about "identity politics" after giving softball interviews to the likes of Milo or Stephan Molyneux - people who promote white nationalists, and who claim that movies like "Frozen" and "The Force Awakens" are attempts to destroy or subjugate men.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 06:58 AM   #130
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I agree with lomiller on this, people seem more likely to choose security or even just convenience over notions like freedom, liberty, or privacy.
The latter three require the former.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 09:38 AM   #131
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
The latter three require the former.
True but that connection is not always obvious.

I think the Security/Freedom argument is... incomplete. I think long term we actually as a society do a pretty good job of balancing it, as they are concept that tend to self-correct to a large degree and their extremes are not substantial. Total anarchy or total police states just aren't generally stable.

It's trading one for another in the short term, especially when it's being played deliberately by someone with an agenda, that causes problems.

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics