IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th December 2008, 05:21 PM   #121
Kotatsu
Phthirapterist

Please ignore this post:

On the extreme off-chance that Old Bob is trained in systematics, I would like to point out that from a systematic point of view, stating that a character is typical of a certain group (normally a species or so) does not mean either that all members of the group have to have the feature, nor that all individuals that have the feature is a member of that group.

For instance, Spoonbills (Ciconiiformes: Threskiornithidae: Platalea spp.) typically have black, spatulate bills (1), yet the Spoonbilled Sandpiper (Charadriformes: Scolopacidae: Eurynorhynchus pygmaeus) has a black, spatulate bill but is not a member of the Spoonbills. Conversely, I believe Limnodrilus worms (Clitellata: Tubificidae) typically have bifid setae (2), but in Limnodrilus falciformis they are unifid (3).

This would invalidate many comments made here if it wasn't for the fact that Old Bob is just talking rubbish. I would not have made this comment were it not for the fact that I have seen similar statements made before, particularly in threads debating the existence or non-existence of human races. The same feature may be diagnostic for several groups, if they together form a subgrouping within a larger group. Obversely, they may be features undergoing parallel evolution, but still be diagnostic due to rarity within the larger group.

There. I have done my pedantry for today and can reward myself with some gingerbread!

---
(1) That is, it is shaped like a spoon.
(2) That is, the bristles are divided into two "teeth" in the far end, one typically considerably smaller than the other.
(3) That is, not divided at the tip.
"It is not supposed to be funny or annoying or insightful, because it is neither; nor to convey or express any emotion or wit, because it doesn't; nor to be any kind of art, because it isn't; but merely to be repetitive. It is repetition for the sake of repetition; mindless, relentless, remorseless and -- ultimately -- redundant." K. Krishnamurthi, "The Seven Forms of Repetition", 1972.
Kotatsu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 10:02 PM   #122
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
You must be one of the "good Jews". (See post #78)
not only that, but my family FINALLY has someone who works on Wall St. Problem is...he is Irish Catholic!!

and, after 112 years of living in the USA...we finally have a lawyer!!!!

boy that took a long time.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 10:27 PM   #123
Old Bob
Banned

Earlier in this thread the "English Octopus" was displayed and laughed at, well the Queen has just dissolved the Canadian Parliament. Still can't take it on? Take the rose tinted glasses off. England still has control and who runs England? Royals, Masons and Jew bankers. They have a nose for these things.
Old Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 11:46 PM   #124
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Even you must know that royal assent is necessary in many commonwealth countries like Australia and Canada. Now if the Queen decided herself to just dissolve the Canadian parliament, you may have a point. She didn't. You don't.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 12:11 AM   #125
gtc
Philosopher

Jews do not control the British Crown. In fact, she is by law the head of the Church of England.

The Canadian Parliament hasn't been dissolved; its going to meet again in January with the same members as at present.

Besides it was the Canadian Governor General who prorogued the parliament (which means it is in recess until the new year) and the GG acts on behalf of the Queen of Canada. I am not even sure that there is an English monarchy seperate to the British monarcy.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 02:06 AM   #126
Old Bob
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Even you must know that royal assent is necessary in many commonwealth countries like Australia and Canada. Now if the Queen decided herself to just dissolve the Canadian parliament, you may have a point. She didn't. You don't.
Not up with the latest new, must get yours from your left wing mate in the corner. (tv) Australia dropped the Commonwealth from our money and the people back in the 70-ies so all laws since then couldn't be accented? The Army still runs under the Commonwealth. When push comes to shove which is correct.? Crown land, native title or the Brigalow Company. This is another big mess. The two Crowns of England owns our land anyway. Freehold means just that "Your free to hold" not to own -serf. You don't get a title any more just a computer print out. Canada has had it's parliament dissolved by orders from the Queen. Retraction please.
Old Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 02:35 AM   #127
Evilgiraffe
Scatterer of X-rays

Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
Canada has had it's parliament dissolved by orders from the Queen. Retraction please.
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Originally Posted by International Herald Tribune
On Sunday, Harper visited Governor General Michaelle Jean and asked her to dissolve Parliament. The governor general is the representative of Queen Elizabeth II of Britain, who is Canada's head of state, but the position is purely ceremonial and obeys the wishes of the prime minister.
Linky
Evilgiraffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 03:00 AM   #128
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Not up with the latest new, must get yours from your left wing mate in the corner. (tv) Australia dropped the Commonwealth from our money and the people back in the 70-ies so all laws since then couldn't be accented? The Army still runs under the Commonwealth. When push comes to shove which is correct.? Crown land, native title or the Brigalow Company. This is another big mess. The two Crowns of England owns our land anyway. Freehold means just that "Your free to hold" not to own -serf. You don't get a title any more just a computer print out. Canada has had it's parliament dissolved by orders from the Queen. Retraction please.
If I was wrong I would admit it. You clearly are here.

But further derails. What does this all have to do with the meaning of the word Goy?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 04:16 AM   #129
Old Bob
Banned

One thing about Goyim it's uni-sex and yes we did stray a bit. G.G. are not under a Prime Minster, remember Witlam.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:00 AM   #130
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If I was wrong I would admit it. You clearly are here.

But further derails. What does this all have to do with the meaning of the word Goy?

G'day Mate. I think I'm up to speed on the meaning of "Goy", but I'm just wondering how often you hear words like this. I've travelled a fair bit within Oz, and although I have no way of knowing how many Jewish folks I've met, I can't recall ever hearing anyone use Hebrew. Is it as common in say, Melbourne, as it appears to be in the US?

As you'd know, out here in the sticks we all speak 'straylian, eh.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 10:41 AM   #131
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
To be fair to Moon, I have had many Jewish friends, and have many Jewish relatives.

I have never...ever...heard the word "Goy" used in a positive context. It has always been meant to be negative.

This....we Jews must work on. But Muslims call non-Muslims "Kufar" and blow up Jews, Christians, and other Muslems with suicide bombs.

So clearly, our issue with name calling, in the greater scheme of world conflicts, is miniscule.....at least compared to suicide bombings.
On the other hand, as long as were talking anecdotes, I too have had many Jewish friends and have many Jeish relatives. I have never, ever, heard the word "goy" used in a truly negative context. As someone said earlier, it's usually said with a chuckle of affection.

Earlier in this thread the "English Octopus" was displayed and laughed at, well the Queen has just dissolved the Canadian Parliament. Still can't take it on? Take the rose tinted glasses off. England still has control and who runs England? Royals, Masons and Jew bankers. They have a nose for these things.

So now the royal family has Tay Sachs?? This is getting better and better.

NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 11:01 AM   #132
Cavemonster
Philosopher

To be fair, when I do hear the word used, it's generally in context like:
"He has a Goyish kop" (kop=head)

Which generally means the person in question is not too bright.

However, as has been stated before, just about every culture has a negative term for the "other". I'm not sure what's special about "Goy" as opposed to other words.

Really, the meaning of words is all in the intent and context. There is inherently nothing negative about the word "Jew", but when you string together the phrase "That Jew lawyer" it becomes an insult. Goy works in exactly the same way.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2008, 08:44 PM   #133
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
G'day Mate. I think I'm up to speed on the meaning of "Goy", but I'm just wondering how often you hear words like this. I've travelled a fair bit within Oz, and although I have no way of knowing how many Jewish folks I've met, I can't recall ever hearing anyone use Hebrew. Is it as common in say, Melbourne, as it appears to be in the US?

As you'd know, out here in the sticks we all speak 'straylian, eh.
It's originally Hebrew, but you usually hear the word in Yiddish context. There aren't that many Yiddish speakers in Oz, I don't think, but if you have Hassidim (and I'm pretty sure you do), you'll likely hear the word if you hang out with them. Probably directed at you.
Old 14th December 2008, 07:36 AM   #134
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Reading that brought on acid flashback.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 07:46 AM   #135
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
It's originally Hebrew, but you usually hear the word in Yiddish context. There aren't that many Yiddish speakers in Oz, I don't think, but if you have Hassidim (and I'm pretty sure you do), you'll likely hear the word if you hang out with them. Probably directed at you.
Thank you. I have indeed seen some Hassidim in Melbourne, but I'd forgotten. I don't think I've heard them speaking though, and probably assumed until now that they talked in English.

In any case, the thread makes it pretty clear that Goy is about the same as me referring to "Jewish folks", and I certainly mean no offense by that.

Most Aussies are like that, I hope, although there are notable exceptions.

Cheers,

David (now there's a nice Goy name for you )

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 11:01 AM   #136
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Reading that brought on acid flashback.
Is that anything like acid reflux?
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 02:23 PM   #137
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Is that anything like acid reflux?

It's perfecty analogous, from esophagus to brain stem.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 03:32 PM   #138
gtc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Thank you. I have indeed seen some Hassidim in Melbourne, but I'd forgotten. I don't think I've heard them speaking though, and probably assumed until now that they talked in English.
If you like Bagels, then I'd recommend a trip to Glick's Bakery on Carlisle Street almost opposite Balaclava station. You could ask them what they speak.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 09:17 PM   #139
Derwoods
Scholar

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I think what Old Bob was trying to say with the dunny reference is that he would never close a property deal with a person unless he knew that person very well. It's like a metaphor - "I know how often he goes to the dunny" equates to "I know that person very well."

Of course, in Old Bob's case, that only means that he has decided which of his limited number of mental stereotypes to apply to that person.
Actually I might have another meaning for you. When I was a kid I remember my grandmother saying something to the effect of "constipated as a jew" which I found out meant they were supposedly so greedy they would even hold onto thier poop till the bitter end. Oddly enough it turned out that it was through that grandmother that our family turned out to be decended from russian jews.
Derwoods is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2008, 10:14 PM   #140
gtc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Derwoods View Post
Actually I might have another meaning for you. When I was a kid I remember my grandmother saying something to the effect of "constipated as a jew" which I found out meant they were supposedly so greedy they would even hold onto thier poop till the bitter end. Oddly enough it turned out that it was through that grandmother that our family turned out to be decended from russian jews.
Maybe she just had first hand experience that all of the Jewish members of her family lacked enough fibre in their diets.
Old 14th December 2008, 11:16 PM   #141
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Canada has had it's parliament dissolved by orders from the Queen. Retraction please.
Quote:
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper won a rare suspension of Parliament on Thursday, managing to avoid being ousted by opposition parties angry over the minority Conservative government's economic plans and an attempt to cut off party financing.
Governor General Michaelle Jean -- the representative of Queen Elizabeth, Canada's head of state -- agreed to Harper's request to shut down Parliament until Jan 26. Parliament was reconvened just weeks ago after the October 14 election.
http://www.reuters.com/article/world...4B34BC20081204

The Canadian parliament was not dissolved by orders from the Queen, it was dissolved by the representative of the queen, at the request of the Prime Minister. Retraction please.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2008, 12:41 AM   #142
gtc
Philosopher

It also hasn't actually been dissolved. It will meet again in January with the same members.

Not that this has anything to do with the word Goy.
Old 15th December 2008, 08:30 AM   #143
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by gtc View Post
It also hasn't actually been dissolved. It will meet again in January with the same members.

Not that this has anything to do with the word Goy.
But it has a lot to do with what Old Bob thinks he understands vs. reality.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2008, 10:50 PM   #144
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Old Bob and reality have been separated for some time now. But it is fun to read his contributions to the FEMA death camp and the secret freemasons threads. If you can stomach the Conspiracy sub-forum that is.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy