IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 9th April 2009, 09:48 PM   #81
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
I was watching a doco the other night on the evolution of English and it said most, if not all Aussie words come from the English/Irish crims, or my ancestors, that were brought over here by Capt. Cookiemonster and his mates (to paraphrase).

"Is that you me old china? Strewth cobber, it's good to see yer ugly mug again!

No wuckers over here about coppin' any pony. I don't Adam we've even got a moderator.

G'donyer bloke, yer blood's worth bottlin', fair ***** dinkum".

Stolen from a china on another toga.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 09:54 PM   #82
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post

No wuckers over here about coppin' any pony. I don't Adam we've even got a moderator.

You, sir, are a legend and are hereby nominated for Honorary 'stralyan Status.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 10:08 PM   #83
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Yea, yadda, yadda, that will get me a pint of Smiddicks (Smithwicks) at me local.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 12:55 AM   #84
proudnonbbeliever
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post

The land bridge sank at the end of the last Ice Age, circa 10,000 BCE.
Im probably just confused with how they drew the early maps of the coastline showing tazzy linked up.

Hail CROM!
proudnonbbeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 02:44 AM   #85
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Does Australia really warrant two threads on this forum?
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 03:02 AM   #86
quarky
Banned

If an Australian, an American, and a Canadian were stuck in a life raft at sea, which one would sing old Olivia-Newton-John songs first?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 03:14 AM   #87
SimonD
Rouge Element

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
Yes, I agree. There should be at least 3

'If there is an intelligent designer, why is the product so flawed?' - Diogenes

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=99
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 03:27 AM   #88
Old Bob
Banned

Originally Posted by proudnonbbeliever View Post
Im probably just confused with how they drew the early maps of the coastline showing tazzy linked up.
We do get big tides, must of been a big out when the map was drawn. Yeppoon gets 5.4m spring tides and it is more in places like Darwin. I just got the poem "Our Flag" out to post but MG. got in first carry it in my wallet. Going back to a early post about the Spanish huts that C. Cook got rid of at Little Cove. I was told they were stone huts, our lot don't do stone. (too heavy) To see this country it takes a life time, we have seen about half from cold Tassy to the hot north. The Barkley Table Lands are so vast it's flat and treeless in all directions well worth a drive across,but don't break down and go in winter time.Must dig out a photo showing our truck coated in sand flies, run into a big mob near Miles.(that's WNW from the Sunshine Coast) Thank you all for the nice things said, we all try in our own way.
Old Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 04:02 AM   #89
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by SimonD View Post
Pshaw! That many would constitute spamming. How many discussions do we need about beer and cricket?
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 04:35 AM   #90
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
You mean you moved to the West Island, my Anzac brother.

ETA: In typical Australian fashion, the Turks, against whom we once fought many fierce battles, are now our good mates.

Greetings to you; you are also my brothers-in-arms and it was a bloody good stoush. A draw, I believe.

A Turkish memorial to their fallen opponents

More of the same

That is respect.

Yes, the west island, where Pavlova was invented.

As for the Turks, they are indeed our mates. I don’t think we could claim a draw out of that one though. I saw some pictures on display over here recently (to mark the Dardanelles naval victory on March 18) that included one of a digger in a slouch hat carrying a wounded comrade across his shoulders with apparent ease. Another showed an ANZAC offering a cup to a wounded Turk. They did us proud in many ways.

Fans of Turkish soccer club Galatasary seem crazy about our Harry Kewell, while Genēlerbirligi were so impressed by the character of Josip Skoko they now have 3 or 4 Aussies on the roster. We are pretty welcome in this part of the world.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 04:43 AM   #91
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post

We do get big tides, must of been a big out when the map was drawn. Yeppoon gets 5.4m spring tides and it is more in places like Darwin.
Darwin gets around 7M from memory. At low tide the harbour looks like someone pulled the plug out with all the boats sitting on the mudflats.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 06:55 AM   #92
MG1962

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

As for the Turks, they are indeed our mates. I don’t think we could claim a draw out of that one though. I saw some pictures on display over here recently (to mark the Dardanelles naval victory on March 18) that included one of a digger in a slouch hat carrying a wounded comrade across his shoulders with apparent ease. Another showed an ANZAC offering a cup to a wounded Turk. They did us proud in many ways.
I believe this inscription on a monument erected by the Turks to honour the dead at ANZAC cove sums up their feelings about Australians very well

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

I cant speak for the Britsh, French or Indian forces present at the battle, but it is clear that the Australians, New Zealanders and Turks had a lot of respect for each other almost from the start.

Even at the time, concern was shown for the relationship the two sides of the trenches had, some have even said the ANZACS trusted the Turks more than their own commanding officers. And stories of both sides throwing rations back and forth were not uncommon. Though Bullybeef does not seem to have been to the taste of the Turkish troops.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 07:24 AM   #93
learner
Graduate Poster

I spot three English cockney rhyming slangs in there. Me old China.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:27 AM   #94
Ysidro
I'm watching you

Australia is a lie perpetrated by New Zealand to make itself look better.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:31 AM   #95
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
So near as I can tell, Straya* is a land of myth, with occasional magical sunsets.
About right, except that you forgot that pretty much everything can kill you.

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis
With the help of Google Maps a while back, I calculated that it is possible to drive around the continent/country/island in approximately nine days of driving time. Is that actually possible, or are there sections of roads that are non-existent?
I'd assume so. But I think that would also depend on your speed and the route. You could travel across the country quicker if you cut across it instead of going along the coast, but then you'd have to go through the Hay Plains, possibly the most boring part of Australia ever created.

Is it possible to travel by plane over the center of the country?
Yes. There are regional airlines that you can use to get to certain parts of the country and all the capital cities can be reached by plane.

I'd be interested in dreamtime stories/pre-contact history; what reading would be recommended?
No idea. I'd say that you would want something more general though with regards to dreaming especially, since it differs depending on location and people.

*And is that really the Koori (didn't know that politically correct term before this morning -- thanks!) name for the land?
It's sort of like that. Koori only applies to a certain peoples in a certain part of Australia and I would assume that it might be insulting to other peoples/tribes, even though "Koori" just means "person" or "people" like many names for certain ethnic groups. I know that "Indigenous Australians" is used quite a bit by the media and is now the PC term for some reason, but I know there are some Aborigines (which incidentally is the word I'm most likely to use) that don't like the use of "Indigenous Australians".

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
The crocodiles grow to 25 feet. On a diet of incautious tourists.
Germans. Incautious Germans. And also drunk Northern Territorians.

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
DRIVING TIME = the amount of time spent actually behind the wheel of a car, doing the driving.

To which must be added sleeping time, eating time, and time out of the car doing other things.

I did not mean to imply that anybody could do a drive around the continent in nine days, nor that a visitor should plan a 10-day visit with the intention of doing any such thing. Mostly my question was geared towards finding out if a circumnavigation by road was possible.
I know people who thought that could do something like that. Germans of course, I guess they assumed that we had good roads. By the way, if you are in Germany and want to see what a good Australian road is, just go to a section of road with a "Spurinnen" sign.

but...but...but... I thought we were supposed to ask questions and stuff. Don't you all want to increase your tourism?
You do know that the ad with Lara Bingle (the "Where the bloody hell are you?" one) was one that basically said "we've done all this stuff for you, so come here and bloody well enjoy it".

Frankly as a brand Australia doesn't need to do too much marketing.

* Yeah, Crow-eaters mainly.
Grrrr...

I believe Wildy and lionking will chip in on this one.
Well I will. Right now in fact.

Originally Posted by Akhenaten
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.
And that is what the actual words are. What you hear is:

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Australians all let us rejoice For weare mnya nya e.
Wigodensoi adwelworwoil owromis GIRT ie
Owrrands raraoun rinratursrits
rofutyrirare
Inistryage
Etevyage
Adan Osraya air
Inoyrurainsrenretusring
Adance Osraya air
And if I remember rightly it's usually silent or a mumble for the second verse. Because very few people know what the second verse is.

[foreigner mode]I think it says a lot about a country when even their Olympic athletes don't know their own anthem.[/foreigner mode]
Old 10th April 2009, 02:49 PM   #96
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Australia. The place where hotels are just as likely to put you up for the night as they are to serve you beer.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:49 PM   #97
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Clintsc9 View Post
I'm enjoying reading this thread. But it is no wonder the rest of the world is confused about us.
Keep it up. Confusion is a good state. (Though mostly it is called Qld.)

Excellent! Another Queenslander. Old Bob is a Queenslander and I've lived there for many years myself. The Sunshine State is indeed a colourful and lively place. Nowhere else could have produced Joh Bjelke Petersen.

Yay! Confusion to our enemies!

Originally Posted by Holy Bibble - American Standard Version

I will send my terror before thee, and will discomfit all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee.

A bible quoting atheist is probably a little confusing too. It certainly baffles my xtian mates.

Just for info back in '03 we rode a Honda Goldwing around Australia on Hwy 1 taking 26 days. That didn't give us much of a chance to see the scenery.

I love Leadwings. When I bought my current bike, A BMW K1100 LT it was really a toss-up between that and a 'wing. I'd still have the same dilemma if I was buying now. I think the Beemer edges the 'wing out in the "going for a rap" category though. I can get 315 clicks out of it, which is almost as much fearsome entertainment as my old GSX eleven, which managed 323.

I love being old and foolish. When I was younger, everyone kept telling me to grow up, but now it they can't. nyaaaaah to you, Bogans!

For that you need several months.

I find your 26 days to be very impressive. The bloke I knew that did it in 11 days destroyed the bike and made a physical wreck of himself (all good now and living in Darwin).

I'd also recommend several months for the trip, timing the northern sections to coincide with the Dry. Anecdotally, a number of people either retire or otherwise adopt an itinerant lifestyle and spend their time going around and around. Some will toss a coin after each lap to decide on clockwise or widdershins.

Cheers,

Dave

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 04:29 PM   #98
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Oz has more venemous species of anything you care to mention than anywhere else in the world -- hell, everywhere else in the world.

True enough. I even know some venomous humans and I'm glad that none of them have ever joined the JREF forums.

You can die from heat stroke or under a snow avalanche.

Conveniently, many of the extremes of this place are within a day's drive of each other, so one may choose to do both on the same day. I believe California is somewhat similar in this regard, and I note that they're all crazy too. Hmmm.

In parts of the Nularbor, you pay for water by the glass, cash across the bar, or go thirsty -- very thirsty when it's 120 F on Christmas Day.

Crossing the Nullarbor was akin to a trip overseas when I was a boy. It's easier now, but still quite challenging. You seem to have been blessed with cooler weather on your trip.

I wonder how many of our readers might think that Nullarbor is a Koori (aboriginal) word, especially given that a Koori club is known as a nulla nulla.

The fact is, it's Latin.

The crocodiles grow to 25 feet. On a diet of incautious tourists.

As I mentioned to HBS, you're fairly safe from the crocs if you swim in the sea because the sharks eat most of them.

Damn! but I can't stay away much longer!

Bring some unwanted relatives with you. We have hungry mouths to feed here and all contributions are welcome.

Here are some cute critters from down under

NB Please don't be alarmed. Most tourists to Australia manage to get out alive eventually. Sackett is my evidence.

Cheers

Old 10th April 2009, 05:04 PM   #99
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Our Coat of Arms was chosen not by taste but because both creatures can't reverse. Hence the nation can't go backwards (smart thinking).

This is entirely correct.

Australian Government - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Quote:
The supporters are native Australian animals: the red kangaroo Macropus rufus and the emu Dromaius novaehollandiae. It is thought the kangaroo and emu were chosen to symbolise a nation moving forward, reflecting a common belief that neither animal can move backwards easily.

They act the same as the Government, steal and break the farmer. One roo eats the same amount of grass as about 4 sheep and the emu fouls pasture so cattle won't eat it and then it busts fences.

Yes, I wish certain of our city cousins had a better understanding of the problems caused by certain native critters when they invade farmland.

You're right about the pollies too. I don't know why people vote for them because it just seems to encourage the bastards.

Their feathers are bullet proof from light calibre but not from the back end.

Yep. Either the three-oh or an SG round in the 12 gauge is what you would need to do any damage with a side shot.

A sight to be seen is a big emu run through a fence at high speed.

Yeah, watching a roo do the same thing can be anusing.

This is how it can be:

Gidgi fire, sunset in the sticks, marinated emu steaks, bottle of red and soft sand. Plus a little Aeroguard ........

That's absolutely brilliant Bob. I can see and smell exactly what you describe and I thank you for providing that image.

I'm not going to mess it up with links, because the only way to truly know what you mean is to experience it, as you have.

Cheers Mate

Dave

Old 10th April 2009, 05:08 PM   #100
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Welcome to Post #100

Here are some other Australian #100s

Top 100 Australian Women's Blogs

Top 100 Twitterholics based on Followers in Australia

The NorthFace 100

Travellers' Tale #100 from Synergise.com: AUSTRALIA - Ningaloo Reef

100 Best Towns in Australia

Fokker F.28 & F-100 in Australia

In regard to the last item, all I have to say is that I don't want your fokker friendship, I want your fokker help.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 10th April 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 05:33 PM   #101
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

An apology and correction for a busted link I posted earlier to the Winton Dinosaurs.

That will teach me not to link to Flash® pages!

Here's a more robust link to the University of Queensland page on the subject.

Old 10th April 2009, 05:41 PM   #102
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

sorry, fosters is cr@p we pass of to foreigners.
no one here actually drinks it.

It's huge joke that we've been playing on the rest of the world for years, and I love it.

we really drink stuff like XXXX (also known as mothers milk).

Whereabouts in Queensland are you cobber?

edit - i see i was beaten to the punch. bugga

What's the difference between a Tasmanian and a computer?

You only have to punch the information into a computer once.

Old 10th April 2009, 05:55 PM   #103
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

From my book-learning at school we was taught that tazzy is linked to the mainland by a land bridge that since the first fleet landed has gone under water.

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post

The land bridge sank at the end of the last Ice Age, circa 10,000 BCE.

If i remember rightly tazzy was called van diemens land then.

Tasmania was originally named Anthoonij van Diemenslandt (Van Diemen's Land) on 24 November 1642 by the brave Dutch explorer, Abel Tasman, whose name it now bears. The name change occurred in 1856.

edit - regardless, tazzy has awesome landscapes and best of all, the beer they make with the tazzy tiger on it, cascade i think, bloody bewdiful

Yes and yes

Old 10th April 2009, 06:10 PM   #104
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

@ SimonD

Firstly, an apology to you.

In my earlier post addressed to you I included a link that went to a joke article in Uncyclopędia. I would have corrected it but for missing the editing deadline.

Here is the ANZAC link that I meant to provide.

Having spent ANZAC day in Turkey in 2008, I would have to say that while all the tour guides paint it as a draw, the Turk in the street sees it as a great victory. They seem to have forgotten that while they may have won the battle, they lost the war.

Akhenaten paints it as a draw, the Kiwi and the Aussie in the street sees it as our finest hour. YMMV

Everyone loses in war. I say this as a former soldier.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Akhenaten; 10th April 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention my bro's across the d'tch.
Old 10th April 2009, 06:38 PM   #105
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I have always had a bit of an attachment to this poem. I recall reading it years ago. In particular the last verse has always touched me.

Our Flag

Author unknown

Our Flag wears the stars that blaze at night,
In our Southern skies of blue,
And a little old flag in the corner,
That’s part of our heritage too.
It’s for the English, the Scots and the Irish,
Who were sent to the ends of the earth,
The rogues and schemers, the doers and dreamers,
Who gave modern Australia its birth.
And you, who are shouting to change it,
You don’t seem to understand,
It’s the flag of our laws and our language,
Not the flag of a faraway land.
Though there are plenty of people who'll tell you,
How when Europe was plunged into night,
That little old flag in the corner,
Was their symbol of freedom and light.
It doesn’t mean we owe allegiance,
To a forgotten imperial dream,
We’ve the stars to show where we’re going,
And the old flag to show where we’ve been.[/size]

It’s only an old piece of bunting,
It’s only an old piece of rag,
But there are thousands who’ve died for its honour,
And shed of their blood for OUR FLAG.

That's a wonderful contibution, and I'm happy to creat a duplicate.

Thank you and cheers,

Dave

Old 10th April 2009, 07:33 PM   #106
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Originally Posted by learner View Post
I spot three English cockney rhyming slangs in there. Me old China.
Well I am just a newby and a hummer and clank. But the thistle wot you are glommin' is cop, I Adam.
Old 10th April 2009, 09:01 PM   #107
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The centre map shows the route followed on his last voyage by Captain James Cook RN FRS. You may need Infra Vision™ to make out the detail.

Old 10th April 2009, 09:23 PM   #108
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Pshaw! That many would constitute spamming. How many discussions do we need about beer and cricket?

Originally Posted by The Holy Bibble - Exodus, Chapter 20

These commandments were given directly by Bruce to the people of 'Straya at Mount Bogong after He had delivered them from a huge barbie in Oodnadatta:

"And Bruce spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the Thread your Cobber . . .
  • You shall have no other threads before Me.

• You shall not make for yourself a carved image - any likeness of any other thread that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

• You shall not take the name of the Thread your Cobber in vain.

• Remember Melbourne Cup Day, to keep it holy.

• Honor your father and your mother.

• You shall not murder.

• You shall not commit adultery where possible.

• You shall not steal although exemptions may apply to gummint property and threads.

• You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor unless he dodges his shout.

• You shall not covet your neighbor's thread; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife's thread, nor his male servant's thread, nor his female servant's thread, nor his kangaroo's thread, nor his koala's thread, nor anything that has already been dealt with in your neighbor's thread.' "

So now I find myself at a loss as to how I should proceed.

Old 10th April 2009, 09:33 PM   #109
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Well I am just a newby and a hummer and clank. But the thistle wot you are glommin' is cop, I Adam.

If you were really a hammer and clank I'd expect to see more staw in your Spanish guitar*.

Strewth, yer slippin' in a few Pommie ones in on me.

Any'ow, glommin' is a bit 'arsh. I just borrer some stuff occasionally, so there's no point comin' the raw prawn.

Cheers Mate,

Dave

Last edited by Akhenaten; 10th April 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 09:36 PM   #110
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
If an Australian, an American, and a Canadian were stuck in a life raft at sea, which one would sing old Olivia-Newton-John songs first?

The one that the other two were having for dinner.

Old 10th April 2009, 09:47 PM   #111
Uncayimmy
Banned

This a great thread. I've always wanted to visit Vienna and maybe check out the Alps.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 09:48 PM   #112
learner
Graduate Poster

Old 10th April 2009, 10:18 PM   #113
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Excellent! Another Queenslander. Old Bob is a Queenslander and I've lived there for many years myself. The Sunshine State is indeed a colourful and lively place. Nowhere else could have produced Joh Bjelke Petersen.
Actually Jo was a Kiwi.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 10:20 PM   #114
MG1962

The one that the other two were having for dinner.

An American tourist arrives at Sydney airport and proceeds to the customs check

Customs Officer: Sir do you have a criminal record?

American: Wow I didn't realise you still needed one
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 10:29 PM   #115
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

We do get big tides, must have been a big out when the map was drawn.

Yeppoon gets 5.4m spring tides and it is more in places like Darwin.

Yeah, the tides up north are amazing. Port Hedland in Western Australia has some beauties.

Some people including myself refer to Yeppoon as Jappoon because it was developed by a Japanese company. No offence is intended, although one bloke tried to blow the resort up when it was being built, because he forgot the war ended in 1945. There are fruitcakes everywhere.

I just got the poem "Our Flag" out to post but MG. got in first. Carry it in my wallet.

I'm going to adopt the same habit. I'll bet you have another poem for us.

Going back to a early post about the Spanish huts that C. Cook got rid of at Little Cove. I was told they were stone huts, our lot don't do stone. (too heavy).

Here is a photograph of Little Cove today. Crikey! What's that amongst the trees?

© STA Travel

Stone huts are definitely not Koori, so who knows?

To see this country it takes a life time, we have seen about half from cold Tassy to the hot north. The Barkley Tableland is so vast; it's flat and treeless in all directions and well worth a drive across, but don't break down, and go in winter time.

To demonstrate your point, here is a short slide show of the Barkley Tableland

I'm 55 and about ½ way through seeing everything too. The next 45 years will give me a bit more material for the thread, I hope.

Must dig out a photo showing our truck coated in sand flies, run into a big mob near Miles.(that's WNW from the Sunshine Coast) Thank you all for the nice things said, we all try in our own way.

I know Miles and Chinchilla pretty well. Tough country and people. You been to Banana? I love the ironic name, and they sell tee-shirts there with "Well Oil Beef Hooked"* printed on the front of them.

* Say it out loud with a mock Irish accent.

I, for one, appreciate your efforts very much. Thank you, Bob.

Cheers Mate,

Dave

Old 10th April 2009, 10:39 PM   #116
proudnonbbeliever
Critical Thinker

Whereabouts in Queensland are you cobber?
All around the great south east, i've lived up at the sunshine coast (my favourite place in the world - mooloolaba), all the way down to the gold coast but currently i have a wonderful 3-bedroom mortgage with my fiancee at beenleigh, about a half an hour south of brisbane.

Hail CROM!
proudnonbbeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 10:42 PM   #117
proudnonbbeliever
Critical Thinker

the maps i was thinkin of were the early ones done by dutch explorers and the like who were to lazy to actually go all the way around the coastline and just made up the rest based on observations. They would've made bloody good aussies, bit of a shame.

Hail CROM!
Old 10th April 2009, 10:45 PM   #118
proudnonbbeliever
Critical Thinker

i must say theres a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference between modern aussie slang and the cockney spoken by the first fleet.

we tend not to sound like street urchins from dickens but more like crocodile dundee if he was stoned out of his gourd.

Hail CROM!
Old 10th April 2009, 10:50 PM   #119
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Yes, the west island, where Pavlova was invented.

Alas! You have uncovered a flaw in my patriotism. I cannot stand Pavlova. Here is another link, which may be Not Safe For Diabetics.

Yes both sides are deserving of the great respect they learned for each other. And you are correct, the brave Turks flogged our arses, no question.

Nobody else could have, so good for them.

Fans of Turkish soccer club Galatasary seem crazy about our Harry Kewell, while Genēlerbirligi were so impressed by the character of Josip Skoko they now have 3 or 4 Aussies on the roster. We are pretty welcome in this part of the world.
My bolding

This makes me very proud.

Genēlerbirligi broke something in my mouth when I tried to say it out loud.

Ka kite anō mate,

Dave

Old 10th April 2009, 11:23 PM   #120
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Darwin gets around 7M from memory. At low tide the harbour looks like someone pulled the plug out with all the boats sitting on the mudflats.

You are correct.

Upper image of Darwin Harbour © Members@Lycos

Here is another beach photo - Mindil Beach, Darwin.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts