IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 10th April 2009, 11:42 PM   #121
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I believe this inscription on a monument erected by the Turks to honour the dead at ANZAC cove sums up their feelings about Australians very well

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

I cant speak for the Britsh, French or Indian forces present at the battle, but it is clear that the Australians, New Zealanders and Turks had a lot of respect for each other almost from the start.

Even at the time, concern was shown for the relationship the two sides of the trenches had, some have even said the ANZACS trusted the Turks more than their own commanding officers. And stories of both sides throwing rations back and forth were not uncommon. Though Bullybeef does not seem to have been to the taste of the Turkish troops.

I believe the ANZAC story will always remain an unbreakable triangle of honour and respect, on its three sides the avenging Abdul , the dour Digger, and the courageous Kiwi.

Gallipoli Slang

Quote:
Bully (beef)

Tinned beef, which (together with dry biscuits) formed the basis of rations at Gallipoli, as it was always available in abundance. It was hated by the troops, and not only for its monotony. After being stored for a length of time on the beaches in the hot Turkish climate, it all too often turned into a liquid mass of fat. A well-known trench story has it that when supplies were thrown across nomansland to the Turkish positions, a tin of bully came sailing back, together with a note on which was scribbled : 'cigarettes yes, bully beef no'.The only exception to the rule was perhaps 'Maconochie's', a brand of tinned beef that was appreciated by all for its superior quality.

Since they were still serving a similar product during my service, I will vouch for the description of bully beef. We knew it as "Luncheon Meat, Type II, troops for the consumption of". Now I've spammed the thread. Oh noes !!eleven!

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

Last edited by Akhenaten; 10th April 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 12:02 AM   #122
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by learner View Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
"Is that you me old china? Strewth cobber, it's good to see yer ugly mug again!

No wuckers over here about coppin' any pony. I don't Adam we've even got a moderator.

G'donyer bloke, yer blood's worth bottlin', fair ***** dinkum".

Stolen from a china on another toga.

I spot three English cockney rhyming slangs in there. Me old China.

This is a conundrum! Jeff is actually quoting ME from another thread.

Allow me an explanation.

Jeff is currently learning to speak proper 'Strayan. I am helping him, but so is another, who is a Pomgolian.

Jeff will be trilingual soon, or maybe even quadriligual, since I believe he already speaks New York City as well as English.

Apart from the above, I must point out that there' a great commonality in the rhyming slang of the UK and Australia, due to our British heritage. Some of the terms you will see may be anachronsims in Australia, but I understand them in the majority of cases, and Google is my cobber.

I hasten to assure readers that nobody in Australia, the UK, or NYC speaks the way Jeff and I do here.

Cheers and well spotted, China,

Dave

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 12:07 AM   #123
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
Australia is a lie perpetrated by New Zealand to make itself look better.

Un fect, they refer to ut uz the Wist Island.

Old 11th April 2009, 12:30 AM   #124
SimonD
Rouge Element

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
@ SimonD

Firstly, an apology to you.

In my earlier post addressed to you I included a link that went to a joke article in Uncyclopædia.
She'll be right, mate.

Akhenaten paints it as a draw, the Kiwi and the Aussie in the street sees it as our finest hour. YMMV

You really have to see the area for yourself to truly understand how much the soldiers suffered. I find it ironic that the greatest victory (with the least amount of dead) was the final withdrawal. Not that I am saying you haven't, just that reading books about what happen does not capture what an incredible moment it was in our history.

Everyone loses in war. I say this as a former soldier.
Even though the Turks won the battle, the cost was very high in men. As you said, ever if you win, you still lose

Originally Posted by MG1962
Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.
This was said by Ataturk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk

If you go to Gallipoli you will hear and see this written everywhere.

'If there is an intelligent designer, why is the product so flawed?' - Diogenes

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=99

Last edited by SimonD; 11th April 2009 at 12:31 AM.
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 12:39 AM   #125
SimonD
Rouge Element

Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post

Going back to a early post about the Spanish huts that C. Cook got rid of at Little Cove. I was told they were stone huts, our lot don't do stone. (too heavy)
No mention of stone huts in the book 'The Far Shore'. Have you read it Bob. I don't know if you would like it though. It's full of historical documented references.

SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 12:49 AM   #126
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post

Originally Posted by Akhenaten

* Yeah, Crow-eaters mainly.

Grrrr...

I love crow. In the course of expressing some of my views, I get to eat a fair bit of it. I might have some now.

Quote:

I believe Wildy and lionking will chip in on this one.

Well I will. Right now in fact.

Quote:

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

And that is what the actual words are. What you hear is:

Australians all let us rejoice For weare mnya nya e.
Wigodensoi adwelworwoil owromis GIRT ie
Owrrands raraoun rinratursrits
rofutyrirare
Inistryage
Etevyage
Adan Osraya air
Inoyrurainsrenretusring
Adance Osraya air

And if I remember rightly it's usually silent or a mumble for the second verse. Because very few people know what the second verse is.
my bolding

Silence is golden, representing the Golden Wattle, Australia's National Flower

[foreigner mode]I think it says a lot about a country when even their Olympic athletes don't know their own anthem.[/foreigner mode]

The Australian Youth Choir can't run a four minute mile either, but I take your point.

Cheers mate,

Dave

Old 11th April 2009, 12:50 AM   #127
Mobyseven
Philosopher

Human settlement began approximately forty thousand (40 000) years ago with the arrival of the Aborigines, now generally and respectfully known as the Koori...
...in south-eastern Australia. Not everywhere.
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 01:02 AM   #128
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

For Wildy:

Quote:

Bound for South Australia

In South Australia I was born
Heave away. Haul away!
South Australia round Cape Horn
And we're bound for South Australia

Haul away you rolling king
Heave away! Haul away!
All the way you'll hear me sing

As I walked out one morning fair
Heave away! Haul away!
It's there I met Miss Nancy Blair

There ain't but one thing that grieves my mind
Heave away! Haul away!
It's to leave Miss Nancy Blair behind

I run her all night I run her all day
Heave away! Haul away!
Run her before we sailed away

I shook her up I shook her down
Heave away! Haul away!
I shook her round and round and round

And as you wollop round Cape Horn
Heave away! Haul away!
You'll wish that you had never been born

I wish I was on Australia's strand
Heave away! Haul away!
With a bottle of whiskey in my hand

In South Australia my native land
Heave away! Haul away!
Full of rocks, and fleas, and thieves, and sand
- auld sea shanty

Wikipedia

This song was collected from sailors in Tyneside, Northern England, and included in Laura Smith's The Music of the Waters collection in 1888.

Pax

Old 11th April 2009, 01:08 AM   #129
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Australia. The place where hotels are just as likely to put you up for the night as they are to serve you beer.

Indeed. Pub accomodation is a great cheap alternative when travelling in Oz. My wife and I have enjoyed many trips on this basis. Food is wonderful, staff are friendly and usually good for the best info on what's going on in town.

Cheers

Old 11th April 2009, 02:49 AM   #130
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by UncaYimmy View Post
This a great thread. I've always wanted to visit Vienna and maybe check out the Alps.

Ziß vill be for you eine most interestgerschtüngel wakationing. Düring your wisit, you may vish to be kalling in to ze Australian Embassy and Permanent Mission to the United Nations Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.

Der addreßenheimer ist:

Mattiellistrasse 2-4, 1040 Vienna

Telephone: +43 (0) 1 - 506 740
Fax: +43 (0) 1 - 504 1178
Email: austemb@aon.at

Paßing ön to you zay may be ziß invörmation:

The Australian Alps National Parks

Quote:
As a well-watered, snow-clad and mountainous area in a mostly dry and flat continent, the Australian Alps with 1.6 million hectares of protected areas are of great significance.

Austria: Area = 82 444 km²

Australian Alps National Parks: Area = 16 000 km²

ie. Approximately 20%. That represents this chunk of Ausralia.

Australian Alps National Parks

The majesty of the Australian Alps present a vision splendid of Australia's rugged landscape, and never fail to impart a feeling of untamed beauty.

Cheers Mate,

Dave

Last edited by Akhenaten; 11th April 2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:00 AM   #131
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I've always liked Terry Pratchett's description of Australia:

"Everything that isn't poisonous is venomous"

(Or perhaps the other way around).

In all seriousness I look forward to visiting Australia in November for the first time.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 03:20 AM   #132
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Actually Joh was a Kiwi.

Norm

Actually, that's only partly true too:

Wikipedia (paraphrased)

Quote:
Sir Johannes "Joh" Bjelke-Petersen KCMG was born on 13 January 1911 in Dannevirke in the Southern Hawke's Bay region of New Zealand, and lived in Waipukurau, a small town in Hawke's Bay. Bjelke-Petersen's parents were both Danish immigrants

He was one in a million, was old Joh.

And his wife, Lady Flo, gave the world Pumkin Scones.

skål

Old 11th April 2009, 03:24 AM   #133
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

An American tourist arrives at Sydney airport and proceeds to the customs check

Customs Officer: Sir do you have a criminal record?

American: Wow I didn't realise you still needed one

Old 11th April 2009, 03:37 AM   #134
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by proudnonbbeliever View Post
All around the great south east, i've lived up at the sunshine coast (my favourite place in the world - mooloolaba), all the way down to the gold coast but currently i have a wonderful 3-bedroom mortgage with my fiancee at beenleigh, about a half an hour south of brisbane.

Kewl as!

Mooloolaba is getting up towards Old Bob's place at Gympie. I have foggy memories of sampling the local produce of Beenleigh.

Yo ho ho and a bottle o' rum,

Dave

Old 11th April 2009, 04:07 AM   #135
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

the maps i was thinkin of were the early ones done by dutch explorers and the like who were to lazy to actually go all the way around the coastline and just made up the rest based on observations. They would've made bloody good aussies, bit of a shame.

The National Library of Australia has examples of the maps you were thinking of.

You can navigate to them from here.

Dutch people DO make bloody good Aussies.

Quote:
There are 96.000 Dutch born emigrants in Australia and approximately 250,000 Australians with some Dutch blood in them. (2008)

This bloke, Ton Ammerlaan whose site I quoted that from knows all about Dutch stuff in Australia, and he's very good at webbing it.

Zie later u vriend,

Daave

Old 11th April 2009, 04:10 AM   #136
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

i must say theres a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference between modern aussie slang and the cockney spoken by the first fleet.

we tend not to sound like street urchins from dickens but more like crocodile dundee if he was stoned out of his gourd.

Wow! . . . Duuuuuude! It's like . . . sooooo funny you should say that . . .

I was just thinkin' . . . umm . . .

I'm hungry.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 11th April 2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Something got spilled on it.
Old 11th April 2009, 04:39 AM   #137
Wildy
Adelaidean

Quote:
There are 96.000 Dutch born emigrants in Australia and approximately 250,000 Australians with some Dutch blood in them. (2008)
More Germans though.
Old 11th April 2009, 04:43 AM   #138
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by SimonD View Post
She'll be right, mate.

Bonzer!

You really have to see the area for yourself to truly understand how much the soldiers suffered. I find it ironic that the greatest victory (with the least amount of dead) was the final withdrawal. Not that I am saying you haven't, just that reading books about what happen does not capture what an incredible moment it was in our history.

I understand what you mean, I haven't been to Gallipoli but I dearly hope to make it one year.

Even though the Turks won the battle, the cost was very high in men. As you said, ever if you win, you still lose

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1962

This was said by Ataturk

If you go to Gallipoli you will hear and see this written everywhere.

Thank you both.

Old 11th April 2009, 04:49 AM   #139
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

No mention of stone huts in the book 'The Far Shore'. Have you read it Bob. I don't know if you would like it though. It's full of historical documented references.

Just like this thread, which I'm sure Bob is enjoying immensely.

The friendly, meandering way it's developed is a credit to us all.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 11th April 2009, 05:07 AM   #140
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post

Human settlement began approximately forty thousand (40 000) years ago with the arrival of the Aborigines, now generally and respectfully known as the Koori.

...in south-eastern Australia. Not everywhere.

I should have checked more carefully before I made my somewhat sweeping statement.

From the KOORI PRACTICE CHECKLIST published by

Ngwala Willumbong Co-operative Ltd

93 Wellington Street, St Kilda, Victoria 3182

Ph: (03) 9510 3233
Fax: (03) 9510 6288
Email: info@ngwala.org

Quote:
Terms Used To Describe Indigenous People & Services

The term “Koori” has been used throughout this document in reference to indigenous people and services in Victoria. The term Koori is not intended to exclude Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people from other parts of Australia. Equally the use of the terms Aboriginal and/or Indigenous is intended to be inclusive of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people throughout Australia.

Ngwala Willumbong Co-operative Ltd also acknowledges that the word “koori” can be offensive to some groups and individuals of the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community.

Ngwala Willumbong Co-operative Ltd would like to acknowledge that the Department of Human Services has funded this project.

I appreciate your correction of this error and invite continuing scrutiny of my posts.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 11th April 2009, 05:22 AM   #141
MG1962

I cant speak for the New Zealanders involved, but from an Australian perspective the thing that seems to have motivated them was a terrible fear of letting themselves down, their mates down and their country down.

Like others have mentioned, I too want to visit the area and see what these guys put up with, and what they were trying to achieve, and more importantly say thank you.

I think it is the least I can do for a bunch of guys who created such a source of inspiration and enduring legend
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 05:32 AM   #142
SimonD
Rouge Element

He was one in a million, was old Joh.
Thank Ed. One was enough. Though he did give rise to some great music which was played on the greatest radio station in the world - 4ZzZ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4ZZZ

Last edited by SimonD; 11th April 2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 05:34 AM   #143
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I've always liked Terry Pratchett's description of Australia:

"Everything that isn't poisonous is venomous"

(Or perhaps the other way around).

In all seriousness I look forward to visiting Australia in November for the first time.

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) keeps even more nasties from arriving in Oz. They have a book out:

AQIS guidelines for airline and aircraft operators arriving in Australia

Quote:
9. Aircraft disinsection

Regulation 23 of the Australian Quarantine Regulations 2000 states:
The commander of an overseas aircraft (or, if the commander is not the operator of the aircraft, the operator of the aircraft) must make arrangements for the disinsection of the aircraft in a manner, and within a time, approved by a Director of Quarantine.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines 'disinsection' as the 'procedure whereby health measures are taken to control or kill the insect vectors, of human diseases present in baggage, cargo, containers, conveyances, goods and postal parcels'. For example, insect vectors include mosquitos. AQIS administers disinsection requirements on behalf of DoHA.

In other words, when your plane arrives in Australia they jump aboard and give everything a good going over with the Mortein and kill everything but the passengers, mostly.

This is the last time you will be safe in Australia. From this point on, everything that bites you is trying to kill you, horribly.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 11th April 2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: I thought I saw something crawl under it.
Old 11th April 2009, 05:44 AM   #144
SimonD
Rouge Element

I have a great Dutch friend called Rene Dekker who lives in Gympie. From him, I first heard of the Pyramid of Gympie. I meant him on Groote Eylandt (which is Dutch for Great Island - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groote_Eylandt).

Strange old world

Old 11th April 2009, 05:45 AM   #145
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

More Germans though.

Grüße, Deutsche!

Particularly in beautiful Hahndorf, South Australia.

Cheeren,

von Dave

Old 11th April 2009, 05:58 AM   #146
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I cant speak for the New Zealanders involved, but from an Australian perspective the thing that seems to have motivated them was a terrible fear of letting themselves down, their mates down and their country down.

I must confess that I have been speaking out of turn on behalf of the Kiwis. I hope a son or daughter of Aotearoa will enlighten us all.

Like others have mentioned, I too want to visit the area and see what these guys put up with, and what they were trying to achieve, and more importantly say thank you.

I think it is the least I can do for a bunch of guys who created such a source of inspiration and enduring legend

Spoken like a true ANZAC.

Old 11th April 2009, 06:02 AM   #147
SimonD
Rouge Element

The diggers never seem to lose their 'humaness' (if that's a word). They never really saw the Turks as the enemy, just another bunch of poor buggers who were forced into the same terrible conditions as they were.

One of my favorite songs

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (Eric Bogle)

When I was a young man I carried me pack
And I lived the free life of the rover
From the Murray's green basin to the dusty outback
I waltzed my Matilda all over

Then in 1915 my country said: Son,
It's time to stop rambling, there's work to be done
So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun
And they sent me away to the war

And the band played Waltzing Matilda
When the ship pulled away from the quay
And amid all the tears, flag waving and cheers
We sailed off for Gallipoli

It well I remember that terrible day
When our blood stained the sand and the water
And how in that hell they call Suvla Bay
We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter

Johnny Turk, he was ready, he primed himself well
He rained us with bullets, and he showered us with shell
And in five minutes flat, we were all blown to hell
He nearly blew us back home to Australia

And the band played Waltzing Matilda
When we stopped to bury our slain
Well we buried ours and the Turks buried theirs
Then it started all over again

Oh those that were living just tried to survive
In that mad world of blood, death and fire
And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive
While around me the corpses piled higher

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over head
And when I awoke in me hospital bed
And saw what it had done, I wished I was dead
I never knew there was worse things than dying

Oh no more I'll go Waltzing Matilda
All around the green bush far and near
For to hump tent and pegs, a man needs both legs
No more waltzing Matilda for me

They collected the wounded, the crippled, the maimed
And they shipped us back home to Australia
The armless, the legless, the blind and the insane
Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla

And when the ship pulled into Circular Quay
I looked at the place where me legs used to be
And thank Christ there was no one there waiting for me
To grieve and to mourn and to pity

And the Band played Waltzing Matilda
When they carried us down the gangway
Oh nobody cheered, they just stood there and stared
Then they turned all their faces away

Now every April I sit on my porch
And I watch the parade pass before me
I see my old comrades, how proudly they march
Renewing their dreams of past glories
I see the old men all tired, stiff and worn
Those weary old heroes of a forgotten war
And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"
And I ask myself the same question

And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men still answer the call
But year after year, their numbers get fewer
Someday, no one will march there at all
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me?
And their ghosts may be heard as they march by the billabong
So who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me?

Old 11th April 2009, 06:03 AM   #148
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I have a great Dutch friend called Rene Dekker who lives in Gympie. From him, I first heard of the Pyramid of Gympie. I meant him on Groote Eylandt (which is Dutch for Great Island - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groote_Eylandt).

Strange old world

Solid Gold Jackpot!

Your turn, Bob! Be gentle with me.

Old 11th April 2009, 06:05 AM   #149
Wildy
Adelaidean

Grüße, Deutsche!

Particularly in beautiful Hahndorf, South Australia.

Cheeren,

von Dave
Oh nein. Bitte nicht. Hilfe. HILFE!!!
Old 11th April 2009, 06:07 AM   #150
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The diggers never seem to lose their 'humaness' (if that's a word). They never really saw the Turks as the enemy, just another bunch of poor buggers who were forced into the same terrible conditions as they were.

One of my favorite songs

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (Eric Bogle)

<polite snip>

It's very moving. I hope people overseas have access to a performance of it.

Old 11th April 2009, 06:18 AM   #151
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Oh nein. Bitte nicht. Hilfe. HILFE!!!

Uh oh. Das boot is on the other fjord now!

I cannot speak German. Only my Babel Fish can do that.

Old 11th April 2009, 06:31 AM   #152
Old Bob
Banned

What a great country, so many places worth a look. Near Injune the gullies have petrified wood sticking out of the ground and on one dry barren hill all the shale type rocks are full of fossil, mainly fern and sticks but who knows what else. West behind Mt Hutton is an area called Hidden Springs. Holes form in the ground like wells,easy to step into amongst the grass. The dingo fence goes through the area. (hoping Dave will refine the fence details for all the people not up with how big that is) The Canarvan National Park is worth a mention, one area has sand stone with holes that were buried jumbled trees washed in by a giant event. These holes were used to stuff deceased natives and the bones are still there, that is not shown to the tourist and the place is crawling with brown coats(park rangers) and little wallabies. (can't have a shot in there) Wild rugged scenery with a pansy camping park.
Old Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 06:54 AM   #153
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

In December last year, in a thread in R & P, I expressed curiosity about whether Hebrew was spoken very much in Australia.

gtc was kind enough to offer this advice:

Originally Posted by gtc View Post
If you like Bagels, then I'd recommend a trip to Glick's Bakery on Carlisle Street almost opposite Balaclava station. You could ask them what they speak.

I have taken this advice and discovered that the bagels are delicious and that Hebrew, as well as for religious observances, is preserved fairly well in the community, particularly by the senior folk. The spoken language sounds like a creek running over some rocks to me. Members of the jewish community apparently also speak 3 zillion other languages, including faultless 'Strayan.

It was a pleasant hour or so, and easy to enjoy for anyone who is hungry, inquisitive and in Melbourne.

Here is Glick's Website.

Shalom

David (the other one)

Old 11th April 2009, 07:37 AM   #154
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

What a great country, so many places worth a look.

A few posters have mentioned that they intend to visit. I hope we can convince them to talk their friends into coming down as well.

Near Injune the gullies have petrified wood sticking out of the ground and on one dry barren hill all the shale type rocks are full of fossils. Mainly fern and sticks, but who knows what else?

West, behind Mt Hutton, is an area called Hidden Springs. Holes form in the ground like wells; easy to step into amongst the grass. The dingo fence goes through the area. (hoping Dave will refine the fence details for all the people not up with how big that is)

My pleasure, as always.

The Dingo Fence - the world's longest fence.

Quote:
It is one of the longest structures on the planet, and the world's longest fence. It stretches 5,320 km (3,306 mi) from Jimbour on the Darling Downs near Dalby through thousands of miles of arid country to the Eyre peninsula on the Great Australian Bight.

The fence is 180 cm (5.9 ft) high made of wire mesh, and extends for 30 cm (1.0 ft) underground. The fence line on both sides is cleared to a 5 m (5.5 yd) width. Star pickets are spaced every 9 m (9.8 yd)

Now THAT is a fence.

The Carnarvon National Park is worth a mention. One area has sandstone with holes that were buried jumbled trees washed in by a giant event. These holes were used to stuff deceased natives and the bones are still there. That is not shown to the tourists and the place is crawling with brown coats (park rangers) and little wallabies.

This picture of the Carnarvon Gorge is from Real Travel. They has more.

Wild rugged scenery with a pansy camping park.

Where else would pansies go, if not to a camping park?

Cheers Bob,

Dave

Last edited by Akhenaten; 11th April 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 07:53 AM   #155
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Australia’s remote northern state capital Darwin is a great place to visit. The Mindil Beach markets are a must where you can enjoy great Asian food while watching a spectacular sunset from the beach. The markets are only open during the dry season (May – October) which is the best time to visit anyway. In the wet it buckets down for days on end with some great lightning shows – according to wiki 1,634 lightning strikes were recorded in the space of a few hours in 2002. You can’t go swimming in the sea either during the wet because of the deadly box jelly fish. You want to be pretty careful where you swim anyway because of the crocodiles. The fishing is great in the sea and rivers – you don’t have to go far to try for a barramundi.. It’s also a great staging place for a visit to the world heritage listed Kakadu National Park.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 07:54 AM   #156
MG1962

I think that is an extremely good point. And one of the reasons I think ANZAC day has resonated through the Australian physic for so many generations.

It is not jingoistic chest thumping, but a very somber and sad reflection of war and the sacrifices that come from it. The Turks got sucked into the war. And although we were there by choice, many had no real idea why except to shoot Turks.

One group who do often get over looked in this campaign are the Indian troops. Although they were not put on the line very much, they suffered horendous losses in their logistics rolls
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 05:58 PM   #157
SimonD
Rouge Element

One group who do often get over looked in this campaign are the Indian troops. Although they were not put on the line very much, they suffered horendous losses in their logistics rolls
Simpson spent most of his 'free' time with the Indian troops, who refered to him as 'Bahadur' - the bravest of the brave.

Last edited by SimonD; 11th April 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11th April 2009, 06:19 PM   #158
Old Bob
Banned

"The Far shore" No I haven't read it. Many of the snippets come down as family stories and in most cases are true ,perhaps slanted a bit with time. My Grand Parents lived in Harrietville (little gold town NE Victoria) A Beveridge woman (of the Beveridge Brothers _Kiddmans of Victoria) used to feed and shelter Ned Kelly. He would come in after dark get feed clothes washed and have a sleep then take off before dawn. The whole town knew except the copper. He rode through the mountains out of sight. (no dobbers then) My Grand Parents eloped, walking from Omeo to Harrietville over the mountains highest Bogong 6508ft Hothom 6306ft. 80 miles. One horse two people and a rifle, no roads then. Not that it matters but we live south of Gympie at North Arm only 60 klicks down the road. Call our place "Casper Downs" but thats another story. Must thank Dave from us all for the pictures and info. (My computer hates me)
Old Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2009, 09:06 PM   #159
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Australia’s remote northern state capital Darwin is a great place to visit. The Mindil Beach markets are a must where you can enjoy great Asian food while watching a spectacular sunset from the beach. The markets are only open during the dry season (May – October) which is the best time to visit anyway. In the wet it buckets down for days on end with some great lightning shows – according to wiki 1,634 lightning strikes were recorded in the space of a few hours in 2002. You can’t go swimming in the sea either during the wet because of the deadly box jelly fish. You want to be pretty careful where you swim anyway because of the crocodiles. The fishing is great in the sea and rivers – you don’t have to go far to try for a barramundi.. It’s also a great staging place for a visit to the world heritage listed Kakadu National Park.

That's the spirit! What a great post; informative and descriptive with links to further reading. Thank you.

Just one point though. As I've previously mentioned, swimming in the sea puts one at less risk from the crocodiles because the sharks eat most of them. Sharks with box jellyfish in their mouths, and when they chase you they shoot box jell . . .

Soz.

Old 11th April 2009, 10:26 PM   #160
proudnonbbeliever
Critical Thinker

The beenleigh rum distillery was knocked down due to termite infestation,

Luckily some other mob bought the name and built new premises on the grounds behind that and is producing the rum now.

Its a lot better than the former eye-watering, throat-burning, so-called liquid.
(oh, how i miss it )

Hail CROM!
proudnonbbeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts