IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 4th June 2014, 02:47 AM   #3001
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I saw them twice in the 80s and early 90s. Excellent concerts both times.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2014, 04:57 AM   #3002
MG1962

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I saw them twice in the 80s and early 90s. Excellent concerts both times.
Yes they were always a very tight band live. It is a shame Doc's back injury has affected him so badly. Pretty much just stands there and belts the numbers out. All the physicality of the act is long gone.

On a side note I was at the Seven Hills Soccer club years ago for a function and encountered the Brewster Brothers doing an acoustic set in front of maybe 30 people.

Felt very sad about then
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2014, 05:02 AM   #3003
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
And of course the obligatory: No way. Get **********. **** off...
Now one of the all time best break up songs, but ironically it was about a friend's girlfriend who died.

This is one of my favourite songs, I used to play and singalong to LiveLine a lot while cycling PediCabs around Brisbane World Expo in '88. Love the sax.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 4th June 2014, 06:39 PM   #3004
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Yes they were always a very tight band live. It is a shame Doc's back injury has affected him so badly. Pretty much just stands there and belts the numbers out. All the physicality of the act is long gone.
I was the accountant and then business manager for The Angels from 1985 to 2009. I had three bands from Alberts, The Angels, Rose Tattoo and The Choirboys. I managed Rose Tattoo for a while.

Doc was a drinker. The other band members had problems with shows for this reason. The early recordings are extremely good but they also had enormous sales later in their career with "The Howling" and "Beyond Salvation" when they "modernised".

Doc would ring me up on weekends and ask for cash. He once arranged to for me to meet him on the corner of Forbes St Darlinghurst. I drove up in my car and realised it was the main "rent boy" pick up place called "the wall". Doc walked over to the car leaned through the driver's window, got the cash counted it on the street and then jumped in the car. I had to explain to him him "that was a bad idea" for both of us. He didn't understand.

Another time we were re-writing his personal CV for a press release. Doc insisted he was 37 years old. I pointed out that that that made him 9 years old when he started university. He then made me remove all years from his CV.

Doc was into NLP. He came into the office and said "I visualised a car park and a car park appeared" After the meeting finished, Doc left and came back with a parking fine. I said "If I don't look at the fine, I can't visualise it and therefore it will go away Right?" Doc just smiled, turned around and walked into a closed door. "You should paint this door bright yellow Matthew".

David Lowy, (The Lowy's that own Westfields), "bought" Doc and tried to sober him up. They recorded an album "Red Phoenix" that I understand cost a million. (Sean Connery did a song intro). I don't think the album was ever commercially released. I sat in stupid meetings with corporate lawyers at Westfields discussing $5 float discrepancies, watching them end his career. It was pretty sad. Doc was so bloated by alcohol addiction at that time that it was ridiculous to try put him back on stage seven nights a week.

The Angels were a bunch of naughty schoolboys. They had two really great managers, John Woodruff, who went on to manage Savage Garden and The Baby Animals, and Brent Eccles who found and built up Johnny Diesel and other well known Aussie bands.

On a side note I was at the Seven Hills Soccer club years ago for a function and encountered the Brewster Brothers doing an acoustic set in front of maybe 30 people. Felt very sad about then
The Brewster Brothers caused most of the fights. John got thrown out of the band and then came back in. He never forgave the other band members who threw him out. I was looking after The Screaming Jets who went bankrupt (worst self produced album ever). Dave Gleeson, from that band is now the singer for John and Rick Brewster, and they call themselves The Angels, but it doesn't work.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2014, 11:35 PM   #3005
MG1962

Thanks Mathew for the insights. I guess at times we all are challenge by our demons. Some are more successful in overcoming them than others. I have many fond memories of the band, and I know my life is that little bit richer for having experienced their music and energy.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2014, 03:55 AM   #3006
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

That was very interesting. Explains the Mad Irishman moniker. Thanks Mathew.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2014, 03:58 AM   #3007
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Thanks as well Matthew. One of my daughters pointed out that you were only a Cold Chisel away from a full house of wild, loony Aussie bands.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2014, 07:29 AM   #3008
MG1962

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Thanks as well Matthew. One of my daughters pointed out that you were only a Cold Chisel away from a full house of wild, loony Aussie bands.
Though wasn't Johnny Diesel related to Barnes in some fashion. So would that count
Old 5th June 2014, 07:50 AM   #3009
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Though wasn't Johnny Diesel related to Barnes in some fashion. So would that count
Wikipedia suggests not, though they have certainly worked together.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2014, 12:08 AM   #3010
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

His real name is Mark Lizzotte. His brother runs the back stage catering company "More than a Morsel". That may be the connection. They know everyone.

I have never met Johnny Diesel or Jimmy Barnes, although I hear they are very nice people. Most of these older bands, that have been around for a long time, are down to earth and quite friendly. it is the one hit wonders who are painful.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:51 PM   #3011
icerat
Philosopher

So I was wandering around north west Australia on google maps and found an area with a bunch of rather interesting looking patterns and other stuff (look around).

I did manage to work out what it was, but I thought I'd throw out a challenge to see if any of the knowledgeable folk here can explain

Last edited by icerat; 23rd June 2014 at 01:53 PM.
icerat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:00 PM   #3012
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I've flown over those quite a few times and always believed them to be sites where the mining folk let off charges to do seismological surveys. The straight lines radiating out from them are where the sensors were laid out and the less-straight lines are where stock (well, wild goats mainly) have come along later to get at the water that collects in the craters.

Or aliens.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:49 PM   #3013
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This one was definitely aliens.

Maree Man
Old 24th June 2014, 02:41 AM   #3014
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I've flown over those quite a few times and always believed them to be sites where the mining folk let off charges to do seismological surveys. The straight lines radiating out from them are where the sensors were laid out and the less-straight lines are where stock (well, wild goats mainly) have come along later to get at the water that collects in the craters.

Or aliens.
Close. To do with explosives .... and space.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:09 PM   #3015
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Arthur Phillip

Admiral Arthur PhillipWP, the commander of the First FleetWP (while serving in the rank of Captain) who became the first governor of New South Wales and the founder of modern Australia has been honoured with a plaque in the nave of Westminster Abbey.

The plaque was made by Irish stonemason Ken Thomson from sandstone brought from Sydney.

Read more here

and here

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2014, 08:23 PM   #3016
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Good news!

New populations of endangered species found

Quote:
Scientists have found isolated populations of threatened species along the Kimberley coastline

Some of the more significant findings included evidence of the slender blue tongue skink, scaly-tailed possum, threatened golden-backed tree rat and endangered northern quoll.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2015, 04:47 AM   #3017
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I will be away on the 25th. Could someone post this in the thread when it comes up?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Cheers

In case not clear. Canakale = Gallipoli

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 21st April 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:59 AM   #3018
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Of course I will.

sağ olun, my friend.

Old 24th April 2015, 07:19 AM   #3019
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I will be away on the 25th. Could someone post this in the thread when it comes up?
I AGREE

Cheers

In case not clear. Canakale = Gallipoli

As requested.

Lest we forget.

Old 24th April 2015, 08:41 PM   #3020
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2015, 01:19 AM   #3021
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Disappointed I can't buy Anzac biscuits in the shops (UK)-were quite prevalent three/four years back.
Old 25th April 2015, 06:19 PM   #3022
Orphia Nay
Tagger

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2704...anzac+biscuits
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2015, 11:47 PM   #3023
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Old 13th July 2017, 04:42 PM   #3024
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I figured this thread would be the perfect place to post this:

Top 10 Australian junk foods

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 09:33 AM   #3025
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I figured this thread would be the perfect place to post this:

Top 10 Australian junk foods
Quote:
Meat Pie
Bizarrely referred to as a 'hand pie' in the US,
I have never heard that before in my life. I would call that a "pot pie." Chicken pot pie is a fairly common comfort food. "Pie" sans pot would imply a sweet filling.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 10:29 AM   #3026
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I wonder what the average 'merican would make of "Dog's eye and some dead 'orse please mate!"

Old 14th July 2017, 10:49 AM   #3027
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I wonder what the average 'merican would make of "Dog's eye and some dead 'orse please mate!"
Not understand, spread the word around and eventually make it an eating contest.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 05:16 PM   #3028
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I have never heard that before in my life. I would call that a "pot pie." Chicken pot pie is a fairly common comfort food. "Pie" sans pot would imply a sweet filling.
As far as I know a "pot pie" is a casserole made in a pot, with a pie crust on top. Meat pies are real pies in that they are completely contained by pie crust.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 14th July 2017, 06:01 PM   #3029
Syameese
Critical Thinker

As far as I know a "pot pie" is a casserole made in a pot, with a pie crust on top. Meat pies are real pies in that they are completely contained by pie crust.
This is my understanding as well.

Growing up meat pies were colloquially known as case-hardened rat coffins
Syameese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:05 PM   #3030
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's funny how the defaults are different between the USA and Australia.

Here in Oz, if you walked into a shop and asked for a pie, you'd probably get the default ground beef and onion gravy pie, described in the article.

If you wanted something sweet, like an apple pie, you'd have to specifically ask for it, (and yes, you can buy little individual serve pies filled with apple, or berries etc.)

I can only imagine the confusion if American tourists sit down in a random coffee shop and ask for coffee and pie.

Old 14th July 2017, 06:12 PM   #3031
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We have the same thing with hockey. Here, "hockey" is played on a field, while "ice hockey" is played on ice. In America, "hockey" is played on ice, while "field hockey" is played on a field.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 14th July 2017, 07:08 PM   #3032
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

And the old favourite:

Canberra - where you park on the driveway and drive on the parkway.

Old 15th July 2017, 10:23 AM   #3033
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
And the old favourite:

Canberra - where you park on the driveway and drive on the parkway.

True in Toronto (Canada), too, though - and I believe other parts of Canada:
Don Valley ParkwayWP

Known to many Torontonians as the Don Valley Parking Lot, though - although the Toronto section of the 401 really deserves that title, with the QEW in Oakville/Burlington vying for second.
Old 15th July 2017, 06:31 PM   #3034
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
True in Toronto (Canada), too, though - and I believe other parts of Canada:
Don Valley ParkwayWP\
Ours has a better name.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 16th July 2017, 07:46 AM   #3035
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Ours has a better name.
Well, everything in EcksEcksEcksEcks Australia has a better name. Nearly everything.
Old 25th July 2017, 03:06 PM   #3036
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Vale Dr G Yunupingu.
I AGREE
Old 1st July 2020, 05:27 PM   #3037
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

New research into the song of the magpie. And no, I don't mean "Good Old Collingwood Forever".

Magpie song research reveals difference between the sexes

Quote:
Key points:
  • New research shows female magpies are louder and chattier than male magpies
  • Associate Professor Amanda Ridley says the birds are one of the most vocally complex songbirds in the world
  • Magpies can sing at up to 80 decibels — as loud as a lawnmower

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 5th October 2020, 10:33 PM   #3038
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

'Straya!

More specifically, Canberra!

'Massive' eastern brown snake found in grounds of Canberra palliative care home

Quote:
Is this Canberra's largest eastern brown snake on record?

Quite possibly, according to snake catcher Gavin Smith, who was thrilled to find it near the shores of Lake Burley Griffin on the weekend.

Mr Smith, who is also a researcher at the Australian National University, was shocked by what he saw when he arrived at the grounds of Clare Holland House, a palliative care centre.

"I haven't caught a snake quite like that before … it was a whopping snake," he said.

"I'd say it was three times heavier and bigger and stronger than your average eastern brown snake.

"From my perspective that's the biggest snake found around here and I doubt there will be many more like it."

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 13th October 2020, 01:22 PM   #3039
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wish that Aussie film made a few years back on "Kokoda" was available in the US I would love to see that one.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 06:22 PM   #3040
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it had just eaten a red-bellied black snake. They do, you know.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts