IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Paranormal State" , ghost hunters , lorraine warren , Ryan Buell

Old 21st September 2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Axxman300
Philosopher

Celebrity Ghost Hunter Ryan Buell Arrested for Fraud

Ryan Buell, from the short lived "Paranormal State" might be going away for a while:

http://abc11.com/1520780/

To save you time, Buell has been promoting paranormal events and conferences, and then canceling them without refunds.

I watched the show during its brief run on A&E, and as soon as Loraine Warren showed up and became a regular I smelled a rat.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 01:33 PM   #2
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Thanks for that link Axxman300.

I was a serious poster on the A&E forums when his show was popular.
Some of us were not believers (I actually had just started my journey to skepticism)
and would talk among ourselves about the obvious ploys in the show.

The extreme followers of Buell were rabid in their belief, and Buell wanted to raid
and take over our little corner of the internet because we were "spreading lies" about
him.

LOL

I like how Chip Coffey is stepping out of the way.

Old 22nd September 2016, 04:53 AM   #3
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's ironic that this is a legal offence but taking people's money for something that (according to all the evidence) you can't do is fine provided you turn up and lie to people in person (and in a potentially very damaging way).
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

CELEBRITY GHOST HUNTER RYAN BUELL ARRESTED

ABC11 I-Team Troubleshooter, Diane Wilson, reported in a September 21, 2016 article, CELEBRITY GHOST HUNTER RYAN BUELL ARRESTED that,
Quote:
Ryan Daniel Buell, 34, is facing two felony charges related to theft and stolen property.
There's also a misdemeanor charge of Theft of Services.

Ryan Buell is widely known as the founder and Director of the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS), a student organization (club) and his appearances on the A&E Network series, "Paranormal State." The TV series is based on paranormal investigations the Penn State Paranormal Research Society.

This wasn't the first time Troubleshooter Diane Wilson reported on problems surrounding Buell and the Paranormal Research Society.

July 19, 2014, Wilson reported TROUBLESHOOTER: RYAN BUELL FANS WANT REFUNDS, about fans not getting refunds from Ryan Buell's, "Conversations with the Dead Tour," a tour of multiple cities in the U.S. and Canada, that never took place.

"Psychic/Medium" Chip Coffey was originally slated to be on the "Conversations with the Dead Tour" but withdrew his participation when he found out the Tour wasn't organized and venues weren't actually booked.

Diane Wilson reported,
Quote:
Chip Coffey, the famous psychic and medium, also reached out to me concerning the "Conversations with the Dead Tour." He says he was supposed to go on the tour with Buell to six U.S. cities, but he had to drop out before the tour started because it wasn't being properly managed or executed correctly.

Before Coffey bailed on the tour, he says there was more than $80,000 in ticket sales. Coffey says he didn't get a dime of that money. He adds he prays for Buell everyday, but business is business, and if fans are owed money Buell should return their money.

According to my count, Coffey appeared in 29 episodes of Paranormal State with Ryan Buell.

After Coffey dropped out, self-described "psychic vampire" Michelle Belanger was going to participate in the "Conversations with the Dead Tour." According to my count, Belanger participated in 28 episodes of A&E Network's, Paranormal State.

Payment option for the "Conversations with the Dead Tour" was via PayPal. I will comment more about PayPal later, and how this relates to what I believe was part of the beginning of a series of problems pertaining to Ryan Buell and the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS) student organization.

With that in mind, and getting back to the recent article, I-Team Troubleshooter Diane Wilson included a post by Ryan Buell's mother. Part of what Shelly Bonita Lundberg stated was,
Quote:
"PLEASE stop enabling his situation by sending money, buying tickets to events that may never occur, buying merchandise/phone calls you may never get, paying money to watch him on Twitch, and giving him offers of shelter ... I am pleading with you out of LOVE for my son and I'm frightened by what his situation has become."
So only recently Shelly is "frightened by what his situation has become."

Through a series of articles I will publish on this Forum, I will cover issues surrounding Ryan Daniel Buell, Penn State University, and the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State. I will trace back what I feel are the beginnings to some of the problems.

Allegation 1: Penn State cover-up; that various people in authority at Penn State, University Park campus, in State College Pennsylvania, knew Ryan Buell was not enrolled as a student in the Fall '06, Spring 2007, and Fall '07 semesters when the season one episodes of Paranormal State, were shot. You're supposed to be a full-time registered student to be able to be an officer in a Penn State club.

Allegation 2: Ryan was kept in school so there could be a TV show.

Allegation 3: There is no official documentation that the Penn State Paranormal Research Society became an official club. Documentation dated 11/10/2003 states that the Penn State PRS student organization was dropped from consideration for Provisional to Permanent status.

I hope Ryan gets well and gets the help he needs. I can't help but think that part of Ryan's "situation" was the result of being involved with unscrupulous producers, and people who did not speak out a long time ago that may have curbed what's happened.

Ryan Buell, if you are reading this, please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address of ernie@paranormalstateillustrated.com

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

FYI a thread has already been started on this.
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

ABC11 I-Team Troubleshooter, Diane Wilson, reported in a September 21, 2016 article, CELEBRITY GHOST HUNTER RYAN BUELL ARRESTED that,
Quote:
Ryan Daniel Buell, 34, is facing two felony charges related to theft and stolen property.
There's also a misdemeanor charge of Theft of Services.

Ryan Buell is widely known as the founder and Director of the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS), a student organization (club) and his appearances on the A&E Network series, "Paranormal State." The TV series is based on paranormal investigations the Penn State Paranormal Research Society.

This wasn't the first time Troubleshooter Diane Wilson reported on problems surrounding Buell and the Paranormal Research Society.

July 19, 2014, Wilson reported TROUBLESHOOTER: RYAN BUELL FANS WANT REFUNDS, about fans not getting refunds from Ryan Buell's, "Conversations with the Dead Tour," a tour of multiple cities in the U.S. and Canada, that never took place.

"Psychic/Medium" Chip Coffey was originally slated to be on the "Conversations with the Dead Tour" but withdrew his participation when he found out the Tour wasn't organized and venues weren't actually booked.

Diane Wilson reported,
Quote:
Chip Coffey, the famous psychic and medium, also reached out to me concerning the "Conversations with the Dead Tour." He says he was supposed to go on the tour with Buell to six U.S. cities, but he had to drop out before the tour started because it wasn't being properly managed or executed correctly.

Before Coffey bailed on the tour, he says there was more than $80,000 in ticket sales. Coffey says he didn't get a dime of that money. He adds he prays for Buell everyday, but business is business, and if fans are owed money Buell should return their money.

According to my count, Coffey appeared in 29 episodes of Paranormal State with Ryan Buell.

After Coffey dropped out, self-described "psychic vampire" Michelle Belanger was going to participate in the "Conversations with the Dead Tour." According to my count, Belanger participated in 28 episodes of A&E Network's, Paranormal State.

Payment option for the "Conversations with the Dead Tour" was via PayPal. I will comment more about PayPal later, and how this relates to what I believe was part of the beginning of a series of problems pertaining to Ryan Buell and the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS) student organization.

With that in mind, and getting back to the recent article, I-Team Troubleshooter Diane Wilson included a post by Ryan Buell's mother. Part of what Shelly Bonita Lundberg stated was,
Quote:
"PLEASE stop enabling his situation by sending money, buying tickets to events that may never occur, buying merchandise/phone calls you may never get, paying money to watch him on Twitch, and giving him offers of shelter ... I am pleading with you out of LOVE for my son and I'm frightened by what his situation has become."
So only recently Shelly is "frightened by what his situation has become."

Through a series of articles I will publish on this Forum, I will cover issues surrounding Ryan Daniel Buell, Penn State University, and the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State. I will trace back what I feel are the beginnings to some of the problems.

Allegation 1: Penn State cover-up; that various people in authority at Penn State, University Park campus, in State College Pennsylvania, knew Ryan Buell was not enrolled as a student in the Fall '06, Spring 2007, and Fall '07 semesters when the season one episodes of Paranormal State, were shot. You're supposed to be a full-time registered student to be able to be an officer in a Penn State club.

Allegation 2: Ryan was kept in school so there could be a TV show.

Allegation 3: There is no official documentation that the Penn State Paranormal Research Society became an official club. Documentation dated 11/10/2003 states that the Penn State PRS student organization was dropped from consideration for Provisional to Permanent status.

I hope Ryan gets well and gets the help he needs. I can't help but think that part of Ryan's "situation" was the result of being involved with unscrupulous producers, and people who did not speak out a long time ago that may have curbed what's happened.

Ryan Buell, if you are reading this, please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address of ernie@paranormalstateillustrated.com

Posted by Raymond Ernest Marsh (my full legal name)
Ernie Marsh (what I usually go by and what my friends call me)
posted September 22, 2016 at approximately 9:36 am

Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

mods please delete this thread.

I re-posted in the other thread.

Thank you,

Ernie Marsh

Old 22nd September 2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I cannot say that I am surprised to see a Ghost Hunter arrested for fraud. I am sure that many Ghost Busters would be arrested for fraud if the authorities ever got the drive to do such a thing.

However, I would be quite surprised if a Ghost were arrested for fraud. Now that would really be something special.

The police might need to get some of those 'special ghost handcuffs' just to take the offending ghost into custody.
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Axxman300
Philosopher

My experience as a ghost hunter boiled down to this:

People were usually upset when I was able to trace the source of the activity to the furnace, or plumbing, or passing traffic. They wanted their dang ghost so they could be special.

Few wanted answers, they wanted validation.

In the bright side, I do most of my own plumbing, so it was all worth it based on the money I've saved.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:10 PM   #10
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Huh, I thought he died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago?

He canceled the show because he claimed he was fighting it, and from my experience, pancreatic cancer is quick. So either he's better or he lied about it.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

I received an e-mail years ago that mentioned Ryan did not have pancreatic cancer and that it was a big lie.

I am not able to confirm if Ryan did, or did not, have pancreatic cancer.

Old 23rd September 2016, 12:56 AM   #12
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
[quote=Ernie M;11502811

[/QUOTE]

If Chip is such a great psychic, why did he sign up in the first place?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 03:39 PM   #13
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
If Chip is such a great psychic, why did he sign up in the first place?

I get the sense that Chip Coffey is a phony because he couldn't foresee the financial scam involving the "Conversations with the Dead Tour." A Tour he chose to participate in. That was in 2014.

But if you think that's funny, about seven years before that, in October, 2007, "psychic" Chip Coffey was chosen to be the host of UNIV-CON 6, the Penn State University Paranormal Research Society's national paranormal-themed conference 1. 18 vendors were supposed to set up shop but were not able to do so. Why? Ryan Buell and Sergey Poberezhny failed to get the vendors the required University Vendor Agreements and proof of insurance. So Penn State did not allow the vendors to set up.

And what I find extra funny? I believe A&E Network was one of the vendors! A&E Television Network are the folks who aired Paranormal State, the show that featured Ryan Buell, with some episodes having "psychic" Chip Coffey.

"Psychic" Chip Coffey stated about himself, "I am a precognitive, clairprescient psychic, which means that I am able to forecast future events with substantial accuracy by tuning into messages that I receive from my spiritual partners in the Higher Realms."2

Chip should've had plenty of time to "psychically" divine that the Paranormal Research Society violated the same, Penn State University vendor-related rules again in 2006-- although Penn State didn't prevent the vendors from setting up at UNIV-CON 5.

So, could earlier Penn State University Paranormal Research Society (PRS) conference-type behavior involving Ryan Buell, and Sergey Poberezhny, have led to later, out-of-school, problematic behavior?

I have seen documentation that indicated the PRS student organization was given special permission to have a PayPal account.

Business is one thing, but I also don't see Chip reaching out to Ryan in a time of need.

Sources:

1. admin. "PRS unveils historical UNIV-CON lineup." pennstateprs.com. 13 May 2007. Last accessed 25 Sep. 2016 from archive.org.
https://web.archive.org/web/20071004124647/http://pennstateprs.com/news2.php?subaction=showfull&id=1179118948&archive =&start_from=&ucat=1,3&

2. "FAQ." Chip Coffey® Psychic, Medium and Spiritual Counselor. www.chipcoffey.com/faqs.html

Posted on Sunday, 25 September 2016 at about 6:39 PM EDT
Ernie Marsh (what my friends and most people call me).
Raymond Ernest Marsh (my full, legal name).

Last edited by Ernie M; 25th September 2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added the time/date and my name.
Old 25th September 2016, 03:43 PM   #14
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Ryan Buell, from the short lived "Paranormal State" might be going away for a while:

http://abc11.com/1520780/

To save you time, Buell has been promoting paranormal events and conferences, and then canceling them without refunds.

I watched the show during its brief run on A&E, and as soon as Loraine Warren showed up and became a regular I smelled a rat.
YYYyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!!!And may all his ilk go so with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

On September 22, 2016, "Psychic" Chip Coffey posted on twitter,
Quote:
.@bobmass2003 To the best of my knowledge, NOTHING on Paranormal State was EVER faked or staged. THAT is a 100% fact!

That's a false statement.

The very first Paranormal State episode Chip appeared in, "The Name," contained faked and staged material.

During "Dead Time," a door creaked open and closed during attempted spirit communication, giving the appearance that contact was made with a girl spirit when Ryan Buell told the alleged girl spirit to "go somewhere safe now."

That door was in the "Dark Man" episode. "Dark Man" was filmed a little over two months before "The Name." And the door wasn't haunted in "Dark Man." Someone edited the door into "The Name" in post-production and added creaky-door sound effects.

Click on the faked door scenario to see my analysis on my website. (Note: the site is old and outdated and best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer until I make a new site with a responsive theme.)

Paranormal State is rife with false, misleading and inaccurate information, as well as faked and staged scenarios.

Old 25th September 2016, 08:26 PM   #16
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Additionally, there was one segment that involved a mother and daughter fleeing to a hotel room. The scene was clearly shot in at least two separate times, because one of the characters wears a different shirt. The character wears one shirt when they rush to the hotel room, and wears it until the door opens. Next shot, the character is wearing something obviously different (like black vs white or something, it's been a while).
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2016, 08:32 AM   #17
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Ryan wasn't registered Penn State student during filming season one Paranormal State

Official Penn State documents verify Ryan Daniel Buell was not a registered student during the three semesters when season one of Paranormal State was filmed. In addition, three "Organization Officer Report Forms" for the Penn State University Paranormal Research Society (PRS), show Ryan holding an officer position-- yet Ryan was not a registered Penn State University student during those semesters-- Fall '06, Spring '07, and Fall '07.

19 season one episodes of Paranormal State were filmed during/around the three semesters when Ryan was not enrolled. The pilot episode, which brings the number to 20 episodes, "Sixth Sense," was filmed during Penn State University's, Spring '06 semester, during which Ryan's enrollment status was half-time.

The PRS' Constitution states that, "Only full time, officially registered active student members shall be eligible to serve as appointed or elected officers in the society." The Constitution also states, "At all times, the majority (50% + 1) of all active members shall be full-time, officially registered, undergraduate students at University Park."

Various years of Penn State, Division of Student Affairs, "Policies and Rules for Student Organizations," similarly state, "Only currently employed faculty, staff and currently registered students shall be eligible for active membership status in student organizations. All other persons may be admitted to associate membership*." and, "Only full-time officially registered students shall be eligible to serve as appointed or elected officers except under special circumstance as approved by the Associate Vice President for Student Engagement, or the Chief Student Affairs Officer at campuses other than University Park. Student organizations may establish and apply additional eligibility criteria for appointed or elected leaders/officers."

The documents that I'm aware of that show Ryan Daniel Buell was not a registered student during the three semesters when season one of Paranormal State was filmed consist of (1) Academic Verification, and (2) Student Enrollment Inquiries. I obtained Ryan's Academic Verification by paying $6.00 to The Pennsylvania State University, Officer of the University Registrar. That was in 2008, when Penn State generated their own Verifications.

Academic Verification

What’s interesting to note about Ryan's enrollment:

1. Ryan Buell, "Director" of the Penn State University Paranormal Research Society (PRS) club, on which the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State is based, wasn't a registered student during the Fall '06, Spring '07, and Fall '07 semesters, when season one episodes were shot.

2. Ryan withdrew enrollment on 04/29/2005- the last day possible to withdraw. 04/29/2005 was also the first day of three days' shooting the “Test Video” by the producers of what would ultimately become Paranormal State. Ryan was slated to graduate in May 2005, but ended up taking an extra year, enrolling for two semesters of classes during that time, when he only had to finish his last (one semester) before he withdrew-- before earning his BA Journalism degree in May, 2006. That means Ryan went on to take two semesters to complete what would have originally finished in one semester.

Ryan was quoted as saying, "After three conferences, dozens of research, television segments, and creating a unique, first-of-its kind investigation manual, Buell announced that he would retire from PRS in June 2005 due to graduating from Penn State," as well as stating in a 1/15/2005 Press Release, "Just because I'm leaving Penn State doesn't mean that I'm retiring in paranormal research. Penn State was just a stepping ground. Now we're on to more ambitious projects."

After graduating with a Journalism degree in May 2006, Ryan later re-enrolled to work on another (undergraduate) degree because, he stated in an article in The Item titled, "He's 'Out There,'" by Eddie Litaker, "for the show, I need to be a student."

Years later there is published account that Ryan stated that due to illness he had to drop out of school. In contrast, no published account on the PRS' website during the Spring '05 semester ever indicated Ryan was sick. One of the last website announcements was Ryan was retiring from the PRS and was leaving the Penn State University.

Paranormal Research Society (PRS) student organization folder

Jen Grossman Leopard, Assistant Director, Student Activities, e-mailed me on May 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM and told me she had the entire (PRS student organization) file sent to her from the University Archives. In subsequent e-mail I was invited to come to the office to view the file and see if there was any other material I plan to have copies of. On May 5, 2014 I e-mailed Jen that I'd like to view the PRS club file.

Friday, May 9, 2014, I drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Penn State in State College, PA. I spent a little over two hours going through the folder in the Student Activities office at 209 HUB-Robeson Center. Wendy Gill, Administrative Support Assistant to Jen Grossman Leopard, was the one who handed me the Penn State University Paranormal Research Society's (PRS) folder. Wendy watched as I looked through the documents and made notes of the documents I wanted photocopies of.

I requested 112 pages of documents, but was given only 73. I was led to believe I would get copies of everything I requested. There was some really interesting information on the 39 pages I didn't get.

Organization Officer Report Forms

The file contained a number "Officer Report Forms," but three Reports show Ryan Buell holding an officer position with the Penn State University Paranormal Research Society which turn out to be during semesters when Ryan did not hold enrollment.

OORF for Academic Year written in as "Spring 2006," with Date of Organization's most recent elections, 1/22/2006, had Ryan Buell's name listed as "Director." Someone crossed out the "President" printed title and hand-wrote, "Director." That for was apparently signed by Ryan Buell on 2/5/2006.

OORF for Academic Year written in as "2006-2007 Recognized in 2002" with Date of Organization's most recent elections, 9/17/2006, had Ryan Buell's name written under the line where Sergey Poberezhny was listed as "President." I get the sense there were two, Presidents. The Report is dated 9/27/2006 with illegible signature, but which in my opinion looks more like it spells Ryan Buell, than Sergey Poberezhny.

OORF for Academic Year written in as "2007," with what looks like Date of Organization's most recent elections, 10/15/2007, shows Ryan Buell as Vice-President. That Report is dated 10/24/07 and has an illegible signature.

Student Enrollment Inquiries

The PRS club folder had a variety of documents, which included four, Student Enrollment Inquiries, that were run on Ryan.

Fall ’06, Spring ’07, Summer ’07, and Spring '08.

A Spring ’08, Inquiry was run on 02/04/08 and showed Ryan was enrolled (for what would be half-time). It showed some anthropology courses with course numbers, section, location (University Park “UP”), Credits, Days meeting.

I was denied photocopies of Ryan’s Student Enrollment Inquires. Jen Grossman Leopard told me it would violate the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, known as FERPA. I believe I should have at least been given (redacted) copies of the Fall '06 and Spring '07 Inquiries as they didn't have any course information and basically would have indicated Ryan's enrollment status as no enrollment. They could've just redacted Ryan's address and Student ID number, which I believe was his Social Security Number.

There were no Student Enrollment Inquires for other Paranormal Research Society (PRS) members in the folder I viewed.

So some people knew to look at Ryan Buell's attendance way back when.

Posted on Tuesday, 27 Sep 2016 at approximately 11:32 AM EDT
Raymond Ernest Marsh (my full, legal name)
Ernie Marsh (the name my friends and what I commonly go by)

Last edited by Ernie M; 27th September 2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Corrected a date and added details about Organization Officer Report Forms.
Old 27th September 2016, 03:34 PM   #18
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

In my previous post (#17) I stated that, "Wendy watched as I looked through the documents and made notes of the documents I wanted photocopies of."

To clarify, Wendy Gill didn't make notes of the documents-- I wrote the notes-- five pages on lined paper. Wendy was seated so she could watch me as I looked through the PRS folder. I made a list of documents I wanted to have photocopied, and wrote a page count for each document, or set of documents- for my own records.

I gave Wendy a stack of documents I wanted to have photocopied. Documents had a big Post-It Note around each document/group of documents that I wrote a subject title so it would be clear what I requested. To keep multiple-page documents together, I used small binder clips on top of the Post-It Notes wrapped around the grouping.

That's how I was able to know I received only 73 pages of the 112 pages I requested. And, my pages of written notes gave me an idea of the content of the 39 pages of withheld documents.

Jen Grossman Leopard, Assistant Director Student Activities, told me I couldn't have copies of the 39 pages because it would violate the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Documents I didn't receive included situations such as:
  • Student Enrollment Inquiries on Ryan Buell
  • Incident reports regarding outstanding invoices from UNIV-CON 2007 paranormal conference. Some of the collection of money may have stemmed from the fact the Paranormal Research Society was given special permission to open a PayPal account. That in turn, meant they might not have used a specified University account to collect money, for such things as conference fees.
  • Various internal e-mails, including an incident report regarding 18 vendors not allowed to set up because there was no vendor agreement, no University insurance.
  • E-mail regarding unpaid invoices as of 3/26/2008 from UNIV-CON 2007
  • E-mail exchange between Ryan Buell and Barry Bram when Ryan was at Sundance Film Festival in January 2008. I believe Ryan wrote he had thought of disbanding the PRS club in 2007.
Interestingly, there was no document in the folder that showed whether or not the PRS was granted Permanent Status.

There was a one-page document dated November 17, 2003 from the Undergraduate Student Government Supreme Court that stated the Paranormal Research Society needs to be dropped from consideration of Provisional to Permanent Status because of a failure to comply with USG Supreme Court policy.

And there was a document dated April 15, 2004, from Ryan Buell to USG Supreme Court stating he attached a revised member list and is requesting a hearing to meet requirements to be able to re-apply for their requested status that would hopefully take them from Provisional Status to Permanent Status.

The folder contained a one-page e-mail dated March 28, 2008, that the Paranormal Research Society group had been placed on Inactive status.

So there was no document in the folder that showed that the Paranormal Research Society was granted Permanent Status, and, I never got a "yes" or "no" answer from Jen if the club ever was given Permanent Status.

Posted on Tuesday, 27 Sep 2016 about 6:33 PM EDT

Last edited by Ernie M; 27th September 2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Wrote entire name for the Paranormal Research Society instead of "PRS"
Old 28th September 2016, 10:00 AM   #19
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

A&E portrayed PRS members as college students when they weren't

A&E Television Networks, LLC, portrayed some Paranormal Research Society (PRS) members as college students on it's website, even after PRS members had graduated, and, even after March 28, 2008-- when there was no longer a Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS) student organization under Ryan Buell's direction.

An A&E Press Release titled, "A&E Announces New Series Paranormal Cops, Third Season of Paranormal State," dated 01/06/09, states:

"A&E continues to chronicle the case files of the Paranormal Research Society (PRS), a renowned group comprised of Penn State University College Students in season three of the dramatic Real-Life series "Paranormal State." Ryan Buell, the director/founder of PRS, and his college age team of paranormal investigators delve into other worlds to solve a variety of cases. The team uses a cache of resources including Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) recordings, client interviews, video documentation, cutting-edge technologies, old-fashioned research and the help from outside experts such as renowned psychics and demonologists."

As late as 2013, A&E TV was still showing Katrina Weidman and Heather Taddy as being seniors at Penn State.

Example 1: KATRINA - Interviewer. Katrina Weidman is a senior at Penn State earning a dual degree in Integrative arts with an emphasis in music production and Theatre with an emphasis in performance."

Example 2: HEATHER - Team Documentarian. Heather Taddy is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Film and Media Studies, with an invested interest in French."

Five, "primary" investigators used to be featured on A&E's website; Ryan, Sergey, Eilfie, Katrina, and Heather. Josh Light was in a lot of Paranormal State episodes, but wasn't in the forefront on the website. I get the sense a major reason for the 'success' of Paranormal State was portraying college students as 'investigators' that attended a well-known, respected, university- Penn State. Even the TV show name Paranormal State, mimics the name, Penn State.

Here's when some of the PRS "primary" investigators had their degree conferred from Penn State University:

05/13/2006. Ryan Buell. BA Journalism. Re-enrolled later to pursue another undergraduate degree.
08/18/2007. Sergey Poberezhny. BS Finance.
12/22/07. Katrina Weidman. Dual major: BA Integrative Arts and BA Theatre.
May 2008. Heather Taddy. BA Media Studies.
12/01/06. Josh Light. BS Electrical Engineering.
Eilfie Music. I have no verification she was a Penn State student.

I believe "The Asylum," was the last season one episode filmed. That was in November, 2007. So any advertising that showed the Penn State Paranormal Research Society as being college students after season one, is falsely portraying them as a PRS student member.

Yes, Heather Taddy was still a student in May, 2008, but a Penn State University e-mail shows the Penn State Paranormal Research Society was placed on "Inactive" status on March 28, 2008.

A September 18, 2009, archive(dot)org webpage capture of A&E's, Paranormal State home page, shows it was still stating, "PARANORMAL STATE is a half-hour series chronicling the extraordinary life of Ryan Buell and other members of the Penn State University Club The Paranormal Research Society (PRS) as they seek to find the truth behind terrifying real life mysteries, hauntings and ghosts."

Posted Wednesday, 28 Sep 2016 1:00 PM EDT

Old 28th September 2016, 10:25 AM   #20
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
I received an e-mail years ago that mentioned Ryan did not have pancreatic cancer and that it was a big lie.

I am not able to confirm if Ryan did, or did not, have pancreatic cancer.
His mother has said that "he's ill, but not from cancer."
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Time should tell what the truth is.

Enabling. A lot of people enabled Ryan.

This story is BIG. I predict it will get BIGGER. Whatever happened to Ryan wasn't the result of a brief, one-off situation.

It's time to stop the lies. Face the truth, share the truth, and hopefully the healing can begin.

Old 28th September 2016, 01:57 PM   #22
Axxman300
Philosopher

Damn, Ernie. Solid background work.

Buell was extradited to PA:

http://abc11.com/entertainment/celeb...vania/1527286/

It needs to be said:

From Penn State to the State Pen.
Old 28th September 2016, 02:11 PM   #23
Wolrab
Illuminator

Damn Ernie! I am not a psychic and have only claimed to be a psychic in jest and no money ever changed hands. Please never set your sights on me! Good work.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 10:48 AM   #24
bytewizard
Master Poster

Ahh Penn State, that wonderful bastion of higher learning. Do you think Buell knew Paterno or Sandusky?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:00 PM   #25
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Damn, Ernie. Solid background work.

Buell was extradited to PA:

http://abc11.com/entertainment/celeb...vania/1527286/

It needs to be said:

From Penn State to the State Pen.

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Damn Ernie! I am not a psychic and have only claimed to be a psychic in jest and no money ever changed hands. Please never set your sights on me! Good work.

Thank you, Axxman300, and Wolrab. Your comments touched me.

This story is way bigger than Ryan (allegedly) 'just' stealing an automotive vehicle and taking money without providing the advertised goods and/or services. It's about the reign of a crooked paranormal industry and the harm that's come out of it.

I wish I could go all Ralph NaderWP over this, but I'm not that good. And writing is painfully slow and difficult. I'll do what I can. Hopefully someone, or some agency, with more ability- will take from what they read here and see that something good comes out of it.

Last edited by Ernie M; 3rd October 2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Changed some wording.
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:28 PM   #26
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

As a fan of this kind of thing, I applaud your work. Great investigative skills!
Old 3rd October 2016, 02:42 PM   #27
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
As a fan of this kind of thing, I applaud your work. Great investigative skills!

Thank you, Vermonter.

In 2008, I created the website, ParanormalStateIllustrated.com to take a skeptical look at the, "Real Life. Drama." A&E Network series, Paranormal State. The website looks at some of the purported paranormal phenomena.

A main issue for me is how badly (immoral, unethical, and perhaps illegally) some people will treat others. I will make this more clear when I upload a completely new, responsive theme website-- to demonstrate the harm, or potential harm, that came about as a result of the show.

As much as I believe Ryan Buell to be a cocky, arrogant, and egotistical person, I also feel he-- and the other PRS members-- have been harmed by the show's unscrupulous producers.

I've talked with a small number of people who were in some of the Paranormal State episodes. Most were PRS "clients." Some I met in person.

I get the sense that the PRS "clients" (the show puts that on-screen caption next to a "client" name) truly believed they experienced paranormal phenomena.

I also get the sense that the producers prey on, and exploit, vulnerable people.

I get the sense the producers even pulled a fast one on Penn State University so they could exploit the Penn State University name in perpetuity.

There is no science in the ghosty 'investigations.' It's pseudoscience. It should be laughable, but there are enough people who believe the 'investigations' as if it was real evidence. This is troubling.

"Dead Time" is purportedly for spirit contact, best at 3:00 AM, when spirit are most active (so it's been said). But I see "Dead Time" as a way to manipulate PRS "clients"-- have them sleep deprived so they will be compliant, behave differently, as if mildly drunk-- because they're sleep deprived.

I've been told some have signed a confidentiality agreement so they're (supposedly) legally-bound not to talk about the show- ever. And if they talk- they face a (potential) lawsuit with HEFTY dollar fines.

Legally impregnable. That's what the shows' producers have maneuvered to achieve and maintain control over what is allowed to be said about the show. And the PRS members like Ryan Buell, Sergey Poberezhny, Katrina Weidman, Heather Taddy, Eilfie Music, and Josh Light, their friends and families? They all have to keep their mouths SHUT about what went on behind the scenes.

Paranormal State is a sham show. Has the sham played a part in Ryan's situation?

Last edited by Ernie M; 3rd October 2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added words to a sentence.
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:32 PM   #28
Axxman300
Philosopher

I agree the show was a sham.

I also agree with going after the Paranormal Industrial Complex.

I used to be a ghost hunter, and still will look into things for friends from time to time. But this is a NON-SCIENTIFIC HOBBY for me. I love solving riddles, and finding explanations - logical explanations - is a big thrill. There are so many different reasons people will see or experience something out of the ordinary, and not one involves the spirits of the dead or demons.

I forget who said it, but it is people who are haunted. Haunted by a belief system that disassociated them from logic and rational thinking.

Back in the 1980s you could spot frauds in a second because they charged money to "investigate" a haunting, and they could also be found at any psychic fair that would rent a table to them.

Today, thanks to cable tv, there is a cottage industry built around paranormal investigations, and it has made things worse. I said before that in my experience more people wanted validation than honest answers. They'd rather have a ghost than adjust their furnace, and today for many small motels, restaurants, and bed & breakfast inns a haunting is good for business. This is why the same properties show up on different ghost hunting shows.

"Paranormal State" had so many operational issues for me to take it seriously. One of the team would do historical research in a short time-span, and often come back with no cool death story to tie the haunting to, and Buell, instead of just walking away from a dry hole, would automatically default to demonic possession.

I'm sorry but telling Joe Sixpack and his wife, who've been freaking out over a possible C02 problem with their heater, that they have a demon in the house is inexcusable. Even if you believe in ghosts in the way they've been traditionally sold to the public, demons (if they existed) are rare. Buell had ZERO woo-data to even back up his suspicions. I'm sorry, but if you're going to run around believing in ghosties then you need to have a solid knowledge of the folklore, and the history, and then abide by the rules established. Buell didn't do that.

In my opinion, when there was no haunting he went out of his way to create one. And yes, the producers probably gave him a push, and once Buell saw how gullible people could be he took it as far as he could.
Old 7th October 2016, 04:36 PM   #29
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Hi Axxman300, I like that you were/are a "ghost hunter" and like to solve mysteries and find (rational) explanations for what some folks might attribute to being of a paranormal causation.

I'm not a ghost hunter, but want to raise awareness in the public interest about the harm of 'true' stories; to demonstrate the psychological, social, and financial harm resulting from the paranormal community and broadcast media.

Ryan's mother has made a plea via Facebook posting, which have apparently been removed or settings changed so it's no longer public, in and effort to have people stop enabling her son's problematic behavior. But what facts has she given about Ryan?

I see the paranormal community and media outlets as a house of cards- a paranormal-based structure built on a shaky foundation, that will collapse if a necessary element is removed.

That "necessary element" in this case, is Ryan Daniel Buell. Remove him from the mix-- and if he talks about the inner workings of the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State, I get the sense that would cause the collapse of a huge portion of a sham industry.

A lot of people have their reputations and jobs riding on what happens with Ryan and what he might say. And a lot of people, from the "psychics" and "mediums," producers and big-money media interests--they won't want Ryan to expose the truth.

So will people stop enabling Ryan's problematic behavior? Will Ryan's mom, Shelly Bonavita Lundberg, go public about what she and her family know about Ryan's problematic behavior? Will Ryan make public disclosures?

Or will the enabling go on, and the harm continue? What frightens Shelly about what's become of Ryan's, "situation"?

Last edited by Ernie M; 7th October 2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Changed a word and phrasing.
Old 7th October 2016, 05:58 PM   #30
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

I binge-watched Paranormal State in college. While it had a veneer of quality, even then I could tell how much was faked or otherwise altered. Also, Buell was the most boring, flat-toned presenter I've ever seen. I could make a better presentation, but I also have ethics.
Old 8th October 2016, 09:22 AM   #31
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
I binge-watched Paranormal State in college. While it had a veneer of quality, even then I could tell how much was faked or otherwise altered. Also, Buell was the most boring, flat-toned presenter I've ever seen. I could make a better presentation, but I also have ethics.

But therein lies a key part of the problem with this fake, "Real Life. Drama." show: a lot of people believe Paranormal State as being real.

A lot of people believe Ryan's stories, and what other PRS 'investigators' say; like Katrina Weidman, Sergey Poberezhny, Heather Taddy, Eilfie Music, and Josh Light. A lot of people believe the "psychics" such as "psychic/medium" Chip Coffey, or Michelle Belanger. A lot of people see 'paranormal investigator/demonologist/psychic' Lorraine Warren and believe in her and what she says. And many people think the show must be real and that it has validity because they see Penn State University.

A lot of people believe what the show's producers have produced.

But people will say and do false, misleading and inaccurate things. That includes telling outright lies along with deceptive and manipulative behavior. People will intentionally screw other people over. There are many motivating factors, some such as; money, attention, elevated social status, avoid being held accountable for something... some may intentionally hurt others (schadenfreude) because they get joy out of it. Wicked people. It doesn't matter who the harmed people are; it could be someone at a distance they don't know, or someone closer like a business partner or acquaintance, or even closer- a family member.

But the fact is, people will lie, cheat, and steal. Even when confronted with the truth some will deny it and continue to lie directly in your face.

Last edited by Ernie M; 8th October 2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added some words.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:56 AM   #32
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
Hi Axxman300I see the paranormal community and media outlets as a house of cards- a paranormal-based structure built on a shaky foundation, that will collapse if a necessary element is removed.

That "necessary element" in this case, is Ryan Daniel Buell. Remove him from the mix-- and if he talks about the inner workings of the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State, I get the sense that would cause the collapse of a huge portion of a sham industry.

A lot of people have their reputations and jobs riding on what happens with Ryan and what he might say. And a lot of people, from the "psychics" and "mediums," producers and big-money media interests--they won't want Ryan to expose the truth.
I'm hoping he wants a trial and not simply plead guilty, I want to see some of those people under oath.

T.V. producers are out to make a buck with as little overhead as possible - hence "reality TV", where there isn't a script, but there is a story outline. Even "Deadliest Catch" had staged drama. Because there are no standards for what passes for paranormal research anyone can hang out a shingle, form a group of people, and run around in the dark a few nights a month.

I considered pursuing my hobby fully back in 1993, and talked to a few people about what I should do in the way of credentials. The best advice I received was to get a private investigator's licence, a "Guard Card" that the state issues security guards, and to look into buying umbrella insurance. This way there would be a way for people to look me up, and the state would know I was legit, and they could find me should they need to as well. This was a lot of money, so I never pushed it.

I still feel that anyone who wants to be a "Ghost Hunter" should at least have a P.I. licence or credentials, and insurance.

Needless to say, after "Blair Witch Project" there was an appetite for people freaking out on haunted locations while on IR cameras. MTV got the ball rolling with their limited series, followed by ABC Family's "Scariest Places on Earth". Then came ScyFy's "Ghost Hunters", which was a good show at first because TAPS had been around for a while, and tried to hold up evidence to some kind of standard. My favorite early episodes were the ones where they didn't find anything, and the people at those locations got pissy about it. However, if you look at the cast for the first two season, and look at the crew on screen now you'll notice that they have more former investigators than active on screen ones now.

I have lost track of how many ghost hunting shows have come and gone since 2001. Each one tried to devise their own gimmick to set them apart from "Ghost Hunters", and Paranormal State's gimmick was the running demon threat. PRS under the flag of the show, in my view, targeted home owners instead of going the institutional route (investigating historic locations, or public buildings), and that was disturbing. I would watch the pre-investigation interviews and often see people with obvious emotional problems - who needed real psychiatric help - and PRS would feed their delusions.

This is unforgivable.

When someone tells me they've begun to experience weird things in their home the first question I ask them is: does your smoke detector also detect CO2 levels? All of those houses PRS went to had oil-burning furnaces, and they can run a little rich at times, and CO2 can creep into the house at levels just enough to make people feel off. It's a bigger problem back east and it isn't addressed often enough. So while PRS is hunting demons, the home owner continues to be poisoned with low levels of C02, and now they have something to fuel the CO2-driven paranoia.

If you want paranormal research to become a science you have to start with science. Eliminate every conceivable possibility until you're left with something you can't explain. Even then you don't get to claim discovery of evidence, you run that event by a few experts and see what they think, and even if they're stumped you still can't declare a small victory. Unknown means just that - you do not have an answer.

I hope Buells case begins the downfall of the paranormal industry too. As a ghost hunter I can state that with the thousands of hours of video footage from all of those shows, nothing new has been learned about the phenomenon in any way. Nobody has developed a proven technique to record and document phenomena, nor has anybody invested reliable equipment. Finally, nobody has gotten any better at hunting ghosts, and that should be a giant red flag.
Old 10th October 2016, 06:19 AM   #33
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

I still feel that anyone who wants to be a "Ghost Hunter" should at least have a P.I. licence or credentials, and insurance.

Needless to say, after "Blair Witch Project" there was an appetite for people freaking out on haunted locations while on IR cameras. MTV got the ball rolling with their limited series, followed by ABC Family's "Scariest Places on Earth". Then came ScyFy's "Ghost Hunters", which was a good show at first because TAPS had been around for a while, and tried to hold up evidence to some kind of standard. My favorite early episodes were the ones where they didn't find anything, and the people at those locations got pissy about it. However, if you look at the cast for the first two season, and look at the crew on screen now you'll notice that they have more former investigators than active on screen ones now.
:

There was a show a few years back (I can't recall the name) where the 'haunted' house was investigated by a medium, a pschic investigator and a buildings inspector. The first two did the usual ********, feeding into the homeowners fears and delusions as they always do but the building inspector was really interesting. Much of the time he was pointing out really trivial things that any honest investigation should have pointed out, such as tree branches touching a window where 'scratching' was heard or old ductwork that could channel sounds around the building in unexpected ways but one that really struck me was when someone claimed to have been 'pushed' at the top of a spiral staircase and almost fallen, the medium claimed to feel malevolent spirits, the building inspector pointed out that the staircase wasn't up to code, too steep, didn't have a handrail and the walls and floor were out of true which could put you off balance, as he put it he was amazed there hadn't been more accidents on it, no ghosts required. The other part I found interesting was how so many of the homeowners, who after all claimed to want to be rid of the phenomena they claimed to be experiencing were uniformly unwilling to accept the rational (and hence easily rectifiable) explanations. Why believe the sounds in your attic are squirrels from the overhanging tree when they could be the spirits from a bus crash that happened five miles away?
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2016, 07:07 AM   #34
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Many years ago Joshua Warren sent me some photographs allegedly of ghosts or ghostly phenemona. He had seen me work as a photographic analyst on a different subject. He asked me straight up if there were any camera tricks or other ordinary photography behavior that could produce them, and when I easily found prosaic explanations for each of them, he seemed satisfied. I don't know what he's been up to since, but he did strike me as someone who wasn't so obsessed with ghosts that he couldn't think critically.

I know the "scientific" approach to ghost hunting is a two-edged sword these days, so don't take this as a blanket endorsement of Warren and company.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2016, 07:29 AM   #35
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Must I post this again?

My kids as ghosts, no photoshop, purely camera settings. They are both very much alive. Easy to do, fools a lot of people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0007.jpg (12.6 KB, 14 views)

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2016, 11:48 AM   #36
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The other part I found interesting was how so many of the homeowners, who after all claimed to want to be rid of the phenomena they claimed to be experiencing were uniformly unwilling to accept the rational (and hence easily rectifiable) explanations. Why believe the sounds in your attic are squirrels from the overhanging tree when they could be the spirits from a bus crash that happened five miles away?
You've listed two reasons my scepticism has grown on this subject.

People get mad when you explain away their ghost(s). All along I'm thinking they want answers when what they really want is validation that they live in a haunted house.

The bus crash thing was something you mention was a key elemental flaw in the thesis of how ghosts are created from violent and or sudden death. If this were true even in 5% of the cases then our highways should be ghost cabarets. I drive by a dozen wooden crosses on my way to work marking where someone's life ended in a crash, and I drive by another 40 places where I know people have died in my lifetime. Ghost lore dictates that there should be frequent sightings, and yet there are none.

I have seen ghosts, but for me the question is WHY? What conditions existed to paint the apparition into my head? I know these things weren't spirits, and my motivation is to understand fringe events of the mind in relationship to location, and what the subconscious brings to each event. For me this aspect is much more interesting.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:57 PM   #37
Axxman300
Philosopher

Buell made bail, and surrendered his passport.

The thing is that he's telling people he will be attending a convention in Toronto (that's in Canada), and can't get into the country without a passport. Same old tricks...unless he genuinely doesn't know this critical fact.

http://eerieecho.com/2016/10/19/ryan...-from-pa-jail/

Old 23rd October 2016, 11:00 PM   #38
Pup
Philosopher

The bus crash thing was something you mention was a key elemental flaw in the thesis of how ghosts are created from violent and or sudden death. If this were true even in 5% of the cases then our highways should be ghost cabarets.
One thing I've thought about is the age of the land. Indians roamed it for centuries, and surely the law of averages says that many areas would be places where violent deaths occurred, while hunting, during tribal warfare, or as accidents, like falls or drowning, depending on the terrain. Yet ghosts are usually only "seen" at famous sites, where we can picture what the people looked like and how they fought.

Even then, though, the number of ghosts sometimes doesn't match the enormity of the event. Gettysburg would have close to 10,000 ghosts roaming the park from the Civil War battle alone, plus a few prehistoric Indians I'm sure. Do they not all show up? Take turns? Some are never ghosticated? I'm sure ghost hunters have ready made answers, and if I asked about the ghosts of prehistoric people, they'd be happy to oblige.

Last edited by Pup; 23rd October 2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2016, 06:44 PM   #39
Axxman300
Philosopher

You can find a story about cavemen ghosts, and even a ghost T-Rex in Arizona, but if you track down these stories they always come off as someone reaching to fill a gap.
Old 4th November 2016, 12:50 PM   #40
Ernie M
Graduate Poster

Sergey Poberezhny and the lie about having to drop out of college

The lie: According to the, "History & Overview" webpage of The Paranormal Research Society (LLC), Sergey Poberezhny, ("Tech Specialist,") with the then-Penn State University Paranormal Research Society (PRS), student organization, had to drop out of college in order to avoid failing because of frequent trips to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to investigate purported demonic cases.

The context is that the Penn State University PRS was working on two, purported demonic cases that were so dangerous and demanding that the cases took such a heavy toll that Ryan Buell and Sergey Poberezhny had to take a semester off of college. But the evidence suggests that's a bunch of hooey; Ryan withdrew enrollment so he could shoot a "Test Video" about a self-named case, "The Pittsburgh Hellmouth," involving Bob Cranmer and some of his family, and Sergey- he never dropped out or withdrew enrollment from Penn State.

The truth: Sergey Poberezhny did not drop out of college while attending Penn State University.

Background: Ryan Buell withdrew enrollment on 04/29/05 from Penn State University-- during the Spring 2005 semester.[1] Ryan was slated to graduate in about two weeks- I don't know the exact date. I speculate Ryan withdrew not because he had to recuperate or was sick from 'investigating' demonic cases, but rather, Ryan withdrew enrollment from Penn State University so he could have an extended stay at Penn State so he could be the main character in the A&E Network TV series, Paranormal State.

04/29/05-- the day Ryan withdrew-- is the same day Ryan began his participation in a "Test Video" with people associated with what would become Paranormal State.[2] The "Test Video," was shot over three days; 04/29/05–05/01/05. [3]

Sergey did not withdraw enrollment when Ryan Buell did. Poberezhny did not 'drop out,' from Penn State University during the Spring 2005 semester, or any semester. Poberezhny was enrolled "Full-Time" during the Spring 2005 semester.[4]

The Penn State University PRS student organization named the purported demonic infestation case pertaining to former Republican County Commissioner of Allegheny County, Bob Cranmer, "The Pittsburgh Hellmouth." Although back then, they never mentioned Cranmer, or any family member, by name. The Paranormal Research Society, LLC, mentions the "Hellmouth" case as, "one of their most dangerous cases," on a March 8, 2012, facebook post.

Ryan never mentions Bob Cranmer or any family member by name, in his memoir, "Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown," either.

In an on-line article, "Paranormal State's Ryan Buell: My Top 3 Spookiest Encounters," People TVWatch interview, I infer that Ryan mentions that (Paranormal State-related) producers were at Bob Cranmer's house. [5] The article states, “The producers were also there to put together a presentation piece,” Buell adds. “They were supposed to be with us for the whole weekend but they ended up fleeing after four hours. One guy started crying and said, ‘This is not what I signed up for!’ ”

Seems something was scary in 2005 at Bob Cranmer's purported demonic infestation house, (but I don't think it was anything paranormal) because Buell also mentioned it during an October 2, 2010, book signing, in State College, PA. The DailyCollegian article, "'Paranormal' almunus draws large crowd at event," (their spelling of alumnus) stated: "Buell said one of the most frightening cases he has ever worked on was the 'Pittsburgh politician case.'” [6] During Ryan's book signing event, he introduced his mom, who was standing by some bookshelves off to Ryan's left side.

Shelly Bonavita Lundberg, Ryan's mom, was in town for the PRS event, that took place October 2–3, 2010. The event included a book signing at Barnes and Noble at 365 Benner Pike in State College, PA, a Paranormal Research Society, LLC, Open House, and sneak-screening of Paranormal State: Season Five.[7] Lundberg's name isn't mentioned in the DailyCollegian article or the PRS LLC online article, but you can view the October 2010, events on the Internet Archive, by clicking here: "OPEN HOUSE: BOOK PREMIERE; SEASON 5 CELEBRATION; GRAND RE-OPENING!" I attended the book signing, but was not present at any other events.

As a side note, I made a video that's on YouTube, "Battle of the Books_Ben Radford interview," which includes a segment (at about 6:08) with Ryan Buell and other Paranormal Research Society members. I gave Ryan an autographed copy of Ben Radford's book, "Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries," because the Paranormal Research Society, as seen on Paranormal State, does not conduct scientific investigations. But more importantly, I always felt there was harm, and the potential for harm, to some of the PRS "clients" on Paranormal State.

This brings me to an issue about producers of paranormal-themed shows; the harm that can arise from preying on vulnerable people and putting people on public display on national TV. I am not saying I can prove a cause-and-effect, nor am I saying "correlation does not imply causation,"-- but I wonder if being involved with a phony TV show, under the premise of helping people-- could that lead to psychological problems, or problematic, addictive behavior? How does a 'paranormal investigator,' or, "psychic/medium," help "clients," because it is wrong and inappropriate to:
  • endorse and validate psychosis
  • legitimize a false claim
  • play up an active imagination
  • attention seeking not through peers
  • validating things that may turn into a future diagnosis
  • doing a disservice to people who may be disturbed with psychological problems
  • PROVIDING REINFORCEMENT Tell them what they want to hear
I read Shelly Bonavita Lundberg's, "OPEN LETTER TO RYAN BUELL FANS," and found some things troubling. Lundberg isn't stating all the facts-- she perpetuated Internet innuendo. Lundberg never stated if Ryan does or does not have a drug addiction. Lundberg never stated whether the stories of Ryan's pancreatic cancer are lies or not. Yet she made a "long overdue" plea for fans to stop enabling his behavior by giving him things like money and offers of shelter.

Lundberg's plea stated, "But I will say this - the ONLY people who TRULY know his situation and whom you should trust in this is his BLOOD family."

I'm not a "fan" but I am concerned due to the harm principle. But how is the public able to understand what's going on if neither Ryan or his "BLOOD family," tells us what's going on?

If Ryan is experiencing a drug addiction, or other problematic behaviors, has being part of a phony paranormal TV show contributed towards his 'situation?' But how can Ryan get help, be helped, when those closest to his 'story' don't tell the whole story. I see nothing but the continuation of enabling behavior. But I hope Ryan gets well, and I would hope people speak up and own up to all the fake crap related to Paranormal State-- speak up, make amends. Let the healing begin.

Sergey Poberezhny's Penn State University enrollment:

SERGEY POBEREZHNY

SEMESTER
ENROLLED ………… SEMESTER DATE …………………… STUDENT LEVEL … ENROLLMENT STATUS

FALL … 2002 … 08/27/02 TO 12/20/02 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2003 … 01/13/03 TO 05/09/03 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2003 … 09/02/03 TO 12/19/03 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2004 … 01/12/04 TO 05/07/04 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2004 … 08/31/04 TO 12/17/04 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2005 … 01/10/05 TO 05/06/05 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2005 … 08/30/05 TO 12/16/05 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2006 … 01/09/06 TO 05/05/06 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SUMMER 2006 … 05/15/06 TO 08/13/06 … UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME
FALL … 2006 … 09/05/06 TO 12/21/06 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2007 … 01/16/07 TO 05/11/07 … UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SUMMER 2007 … 05/21/07 TO 08/19/07 … UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, CONFERRED 08/18/07,
IN THE MAJOR OF FINANCE

What’s interesting to note about Poberezhny's enrollment:

• Poberezhny was enrolled "Full-Time" during the Spring 2005 semester--the semester when the claim was made he dropped out.

• There is no withdraw of enrollment for any semester for Poberezhny.

Ryan Buell's Penn State University enrollment:

RYAN DANIEL BUELL

SEMESTER
ENROLLED ………… SEMESTER DATE ……………………………… STUDENT LEVEL … ENROLLMENT STATUS

FALL … 2000 … 08/22/00 TO 12/15/00 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2001 … 01/08/01 TO 05/04/01 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2001 … 08/21/01 TO 12/14/01 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME
SPRING 2002 … 01/07/02 TO 05/03/02 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2002 … 08/27/02 TO 12/20/02 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2003 … 01/13/03 TO 05/09/03 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2003 … 09/02/03 TO 12/19/03 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2004 … 01/12/04 TO 05/07/04 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
FALL … 2004 … 08/31/04 TO 12/17/04 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2005 …… STUDENT WITHDREW 04/29/05 UNDERGRADUATE
FALL … 2005 … 08/30/05 TO 12/16/05 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … FULL-TIME
SPRING 2006 … 01/09/06 TO 05/05/06 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME
SUMMER 2006 … 05/15/06 TO 08/13/06 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME
SUMMER 2007 … 05/21/07 TO 08/19/07 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME
**SPRING 2008 01/14/08 TO 05/09/08 …………… UNDERGRADUATE … HALF-TIME

LAST ENROLLMENT:
THE MAJOR(S)/DEGREE (S) THAT THIS STUDENT WAS PURSUING DURING THE LAST PERIOD OF ENROLLMENT SHOWN ABOVE WAS:
ANTHROPOLOGY, BACHELOR OF ARTS.

DURING THIS LAST ENROLLMENT PERIOD, THE STUDENT IS IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING.

**STUDENT ACTION REQUIRED TO FINALIZE ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SEMESTER NOTED.

GRADUATION:
THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE DEGREE(S) OF:
BACHELOR OF ARTS, CONFERRED 05/13/06,
COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATIONS
IN THE MAJOR OF JOURNALISM

THIS STUDENT IS ANTICIPATED TO GRADUATE BY THE END OF
FALL SEMESTER, DECEMBER 2008.

What’s interesting to note about Ryan's enrollment:

• Ryan wasn't a registered student during the Fall '06, Spring '07, and Fall '07 semesters, when season one episodes of Paranormal State were shot.

• Ryan withdrew enrollment on 04/29/2005- the last day possible to withdraw. 04/29/2005 was also the first day of three days' shooting the “Test Video” by the producers of what would ultimately become Paranormal State. Ryan was slated to graduate in May 2005, but took an extra year, enrolling for two semesters, when he only had to finish his last (one semester) That means Ryan went on to take two semesters to complete what would have originally finished in one semester.

Posted on Friday, 04 Nov 2016 at approximately 3:50 PM EDT
Ernie Marsh (what me friends and most people call me)
Raymond Ernest Marsh (my legal name)

References:

[1] The Pennsylvania State University. Office of the University Registrar. Academic Verification referencing Ryan Daniel Buell. 05 Feb 2008.

[2] Buell, Ryan; Petrucha, Stefan (2010-09-21). Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown (p. 8). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[3] Buell, Ryan; Petrucha, Stefan (2010-09-21). Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown (p. 12). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[4] The Pennsylvania State University. Office of the University Registrar. Academic Verification referencing Sergey Poberezhny. 18 Feb 2008.

[5] Dyball, Rennie. "Paranormal State's Ryan Buell: My Top 3 Spookiest Encounters." Peopletvwatch. 31 Oct 2010. People. Web.

[6] Yücel, Karina and Samantha Arcieri. "'Paranormal' almunus draws large crowd at event." DailyCollegian. 04 Oct 2010. collegian.psu.edu. Accessed 04 Nov 2016.

[7] Paranormal Research Society. "OPEN HOUSE: BOOK PREMIERE; SEASON 5 CELEBRATION; GRAND RE-OPENING! October 2-3rd, 2010." 26 Nov 2010. ParanormalResearchSociety.org. Internet Archive. Accessed 04 Nov 2016.

Last edited by Ernie M; 4th November 2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Corrected some typos. Added a couple links.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal