IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mandela effect , memory

Old 16th March 2018, 01:56 AM   #241
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I see utility in the application of the name.

After all a confabulation is mundane. I thought I closed the drawer but it turns out I didn't.

But an ME is different because it shakes you to your core. My own is a Simpsons episode called Bart of Darkness. If you don't know episode names it is the one where they get a swimming pool, Bart injures himself, gets banished to his bedroom and then reenacts the Hitchcock film Rear Window. I have always remembered it as a season ending episode. It wasn't. And while that is a possible mere confabulation what elevates it, for me, is that I have a distinct memory of talking to my friends about it being a great season ending episode when it first aired.

So...what gives? After many years of dwelling on it I can only figure that I must have missed the first airing of the episode (odd because I was such a fanatic at the time that I always caught first runs) then saw it as a rerun after the real season ender and assumed it was the season ender that year. Apparently my friends all made the same mistake.

But being wrong about this was emotionally disturbing. And I think the degree that the error frightens you determines if it is just a confabulation or something that might rise to a full on ME moment.

Just my thoughts.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 03:25 AM   #242
Didactylos
Scholar

Location: East of the sun, west of the moon, first left turn past the trailer park...
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
So, anyone ready for the "Episode IV" argument?
Do you mean the one about C3P0's silver right shin in eps. IV-VI? That's the only pop-culture ME that made me an impression on me. Then I rewatched the movies and it felt pretty obvious why so many viewers have never noticed it.

In most scenes with C3P0 his shins are not in the frame. And while he is obviously (mostly) golden, in any scene there are many parts of him where the golden colour is obscured by highlights and reflections. So when there finally is a shot where his shins are visible we are primed to think: 1) he is golden, 2) this can be a bit hard to see.

Also much more interesting things are happening in the rest of the frame.
Didactylos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 03:49 AM   #243
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
the Mandella effect ...
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It happens when you are absolutely certain that his name used to be spelled this way.

I think you’re mistaken, WP. It’s what happens when you confuse Nelson Mandela with Leo Mandella. It’s very easy to make the mistake since the two guys not only look so much alike but also have similar aspirations: Leo Mandella
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 04:00 AM   #244
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think you’re mistaken, WP. It’s what happens when you confuse Nelson Mandela with Leo Mandella. It’s very easy to make the mistake since the two guys not only look so much alike but also have similar aspirations: Leo Mandella
In my universe, a Tibetan Buddhist geometric pattern used to be the president of South Africa.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 06:03 AM   #245
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So, anyone ready for the "Episode IV" argument?
Originally Posted by Didactylos View Post
Do you mean the one about C3P0's silver right shin in eps. IV-VI?
No, I meant literally the "Episode IV" in the title crawl of Star Wars, along with the words "A New Hope". Neither of those were there in 1977 when the original Star Wars debuted and were not added until later.

I thought it was such a well-known argument that nobody here wanted to open that can of worms.
Old 16th March 2018, 06:49 AM   #246
3point14
Pi

No, I meant literally the "Episode IV" in the title crawl of Star Wars, along with the words "A New Hope". Neither of those were there in 1977 when the original Star Wars debuted and were not added until later.

I thought it was such a well-known argument that nobody here wanted to open that can of worms.

Are you saying it's in dispute that 'A New Hope' wasn't on the original posters and that the film was called "A New Hope" from the beginning?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 07:06 AM   #247
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
In my universe, a Tibetan Buddhist geometric pattern used to be the president of South Africa.

Nelsina Mandala? I've heard people mention her, but otherwise she's absent from my dimension.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 08:11 AM   #248
kali1137
Master Poster

I am relieved to know that all these years I have not been incorrectly singing all those song lyrics. In my dimension they are correct!

I didn't know too much about this claim before this post. I am just at a loss as to why people would go to such great lengths to get around admitting that people remember things incorrectly. I have mistakenly thought a few of these things but they have easy, rational explanations that have been provided by others in this post already. Why is it so unbelievable that we are easily led to believe things by the masses? It's not an "effect", it's human nature. You can take a perfectly benign house with zero history, turn out all the lights and tell a fictitious ghost story to the people in a group, and suddenly it has a "creepy" vibe. Almost all will talk each other into feelings, unease, and even paranormal sightings.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 02:41 PM   #249
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Are you saying it's in dispute that 'A New Hope' wasn't on the original posters and that the film was called "A New Hope" from the beginning?
Yeah I was under the impression everyone knew this too.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2018, 10:13 AM   #250
Veliki George
Thinker

Some ME enthusiasts on YouTube have some alternative map of the world. On that map North and South Korea are much south, in the same tropical area as Thailand. Its a common knowledge that 38 parallel is a border beetwen North and South Korea. And all Koreans Know that Korea is a snowy country with cold winters. And if Japan was near central China they wouldnt invade Manchukuo which is Northern province. The whole history would be significantly different
Veliki George is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2018, 02:10 PM   #251
Apathia
Philosopher

Here's my list of personal miss-rememberings:

1. There was a drainage canal next to my childhood home in Jacksonville, Florida. To my memory the canal continued on parallel to our property and that of the property behind us. We moved to my grandfather's house in the city. A few months later I was with my father when he went back to the house in preparation for its sale. I noticed the canal did not continue parallel to the property behind but made a 90 degree angle at the end of ours. I told my dad that's not how I remembered. he told me the canal had meandered.

2. For years I remembered that I had flunked and had to repeat both first and second grade. Actually it was only the second.

3.)I remember from childhood a Donald Duck cartoon animation in which the hapless Donald falls onto a conveyer belt in an assembly line and is subjected to all kinds of horrible processes till he comes out a series of gold plated Oscar statutes. It horrified me as much as The Wizard of Oz's Flying Monkeys, and the pistol pointed at the viewer at the intro of each Superman episode. But I have never seen or found that cartoon again.

4. At an English conversation school I taught at, we had some poster board visuals for teaching a number of different constructions and idioms. I remember having seen one covering "makes me." A picture of a tall glass of ice-water was used for "This makes me thirsty." A plate of food for, "This makes me hungry." And for this "makes me sick" there was a picture of an ugly bald guy dangling a frog over his mouth. Fellow instructors and I laughed about this one. It was unforgettable. But when I searched for it to use in a lesson, not only could I not find it, but none of my fellow teachers remembered it existing. Even the school director who had made the posters had no knowledge of it.

5.) In 1995 on occasion of the Hanshin Earthquake that devastated Kobe, Japan. I remember being in San Rafael, CA and learning about it there. However according to the visas stamped in my old passport, I was in Fukuoka, Japan at the time.

6. I remember the debut of the Twin Peaks TV series in '97. I was living in San Jose, CA at the time. I clearly remember the hoopla about it on entertainment shows and an article in Time Magazine. People I knew couldn't miss an episode. We'd fill each other in on episodes we'd missed.
But recently I learned that Twin Peaks was televised in '90,91. I was in Japan those years and certainly didn't see it there.

7. A recent x-ray reveled that at sometime years ago I broke the tibia of my right leg, and it was never set properly. What? I'd remember breaking a leg. But I do remember I totaled my right ankle in a slip on ice my senior year of college. Another X-ray revealed that the fracture cam up from my ankle. Well of course it was the tibia!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2018, 02:39 PM   #252
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't quite parse your question the way it was worded so I'll say the truth directly.

There was no "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" on the original poster(s) in 1977/1978. Neither was it originally there at that time on the title crawl ("It is a period of civil war"). I did see a big discussion of that (again) recently and thought it might have been on this board.
Old 18th March 2018, 08:18 PM   #253
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Here's my list of personal miss-rememberings:

3.)I remember from childhood a Donald Duck cartoon animation in which the hapless Donald falls onto a conveyer belt in an assembly line and is subjected to all kinds of horrible processes till he comes out a series of gold plated Oscar statutes. It horrified me as much as The Wizard of Oz's Flying Monkeys, and the pistol pointed at the viewer at the intro of each Superman episode. But I have never seen or found that cartoon again.
That sounds quite like "Modern Times" by Charlie Chaplin.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2018, 10:49 PM   #254
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
That sounds quite like "Modern Times" by Charlie Chaplin.
Could that have created the horrible memory? The iconic caught in the works scene?

Anyway I've found a youtube of a Donald Duck carton in which he falls onto a mining conveyor belt. I could have misremembered that.

#6: Perhaps Twin Peaks was in rerun in '97.

#5: My memory is sitting in the San Rafael Public Library reading about and looking at pictures of the quake devastation in a Time Magazine. Shortly after that I returned to Fukuoka. But actually I was in Japan when the quake happened. My memory is quite messed up about this.

A friend of mine remembers a house at a specific intersection on her way to work. One day she noticed it wasn't there. Instead there was a hill covered with trees.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 07:38 AM   #255
Pope130
Illuminator

Could that have created the horrible memory? The iconic caught in the works scene?

Anyway I've found a youtube of a Donald Duck carton in which he falls onto a mining conveyor belt. I could have misremembered that.
I can give you a definitive "maybe" on that. I have a few anomalous memories myself. They mostly run to remembering movies, TV shows or books slightly differently. In the most dramatic case I have a memory of seeing a movie based on a book that has never, in fact, been filmed. I've been relieved to find in a few cases that there were alternative versions. Mostly I think that, in my case, it's simple conflation of the memory of similar sources, or my own re-imagining of how a production should have gone. In the case of the film that never was (H. Beam Piper's "Space Viking") it could be an artifact of the extremely vivid writing going into my memory as images rather than words.

The more dramatic examples people cite; buildings not being where the used to be, roads not going where you used to take them, and so on, are a lot harder to explain.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2018, 03:22 PM   #256
Veliki George
Thinker

Werner von Braun changed to Wernher von Braun
Veliki George is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:17 AM   #257
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Veliki George View Post
Werner von Braun changed to Wernher von Braun
No it didn't.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 01:04 PM   #258
Veliki George
Thinker

Did South America move far east? Im not sure anymore

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffe...too_far_right/
Old 28th March 2018, 01:07 PM   #259
ahhell
Philosopher

That's kind of awesome.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 03:06 PM   #260
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Love it. I resisted the temptation to respond with

"did the earth move for you too dear?"

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 06:30 PM   #261
Jontg
The Bear Skeptic

I think I just ducked under the Mandela effect somehow. Like, every specific example anyone comes up with doesn't apply to me--I had one Berenstain Bears book on tape, so I've always known the proper pronunciation, and I'd never heard anyone say Mandela was dead. The closest thing is a handful of mondegreens that I've mostly worked through.
Jontg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 11:52 PM   #262
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I truly do not want to sound like an *******, but when someone says in my presence, "Didn't Nelson Mandela die in prison LOL?" I have an unspeakable urge to just scream "STUDY SOME CURRENT EVENTS ALONG THE WAY! FOR ****'S SAKE." It actually offends me a little. I'm an American. I'm (technically still) under 30. I'm also female. By all demographic inclinations, I shouldn't even necessarily know who Mandela is. The fact that my sensibilities are offended by this ignorance has to be a clear sign that people propagating this nonsense need to get out of the basement more.

Or, you know, maybe I'm a shill for the alien parallel universe.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 11:56 PM   #263
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

The person who started that Reddit thread, simply put, has smoked too much pot and simultaneously not looked at maps enough. The latter is forgivable. The former is also forgivable, until one starts running one's stoned mouth in a stunning display of egotistical Dunning-Krueger.

VG, do you have any friends PROVABLY in South America? Do they think their continent has moved?
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 02:15 AM   #264
Dabop
Graduate Poster

The number of people on the various conspiracy forums that think the continents have changed is staggering...

NZ too far south/north/east, PNG has moved closer/further away from oz, Korea has moved north/south- seems all countries have been wandering around lol

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 02:32 AM   #265
3point14
Pi

The mental hoops some people will go to simply to avoid the crushing realisation that they are fallible is utterly mental.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 02:38 AM   #266
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

The mental hoops some people will go to simply to avoid the crushing realisation that they are fallible is utterly mental.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th March 2018, 02:40 AM   #267
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
NZ too far south/north/east, PNG has moved closer/further away from oz, Korea has moved north/south- seems all countries have been wandering around lol
I wonder where they would place San Seriffe on a map these days.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 02:57 AM   #268
Dabop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
LOL, thats made my day, funny as

(and they had companies advertising with them get involved too)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 03:28 AM   #269
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
I used to take my Guardian to work (GCHQ at the time), I remember all my colleagues reading and marvelling over that. It was a work of art.
Old 29th March 2018, 03:34 AM   #270
3point14
Pi

LOL, thats made my day, funny as

(and they had companies advertising with them get involved too)

I'm wondering how many pictured Kodak actually got sent

Old 29th March 2018, 08:58 AM   #271
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

The number of people on the various conspiracy forums that think the continents have changed is staggering...

I'm trying to imagine a scenario wherein I notice that a country is in a different place on the map than I'd previously believed that ends in anything other than, "Wow, I feel like a dumbass! Guess I should brush up on my geography ."

The more wandering countries one notices, the more imperative putting down one's bong and picking up an actual textbook becomes.

I'm really sick of all this post-truth bollocks. Daily life has become rather annoying. The earth is flat, countries move around, weenie spellings change slightly but no one can prove it, and millions of illegals voted in the 2016 election. Okie-dokie! That's nice, dear.

The internet can be a great support resource for the mentally ill, but for delusional folk in denial, it's basically just been a cancer. Posting all day with masses of other people who reinforce one's delusions is actually worse, in my opinion, than having no outlet at all. Just look at how deep the rabbit holes go. One day, someone on Reddit says "huh, I could have sworn those bears were called Berenstein - weird, wild stuff." And then the next thing you know, aliens have changed the color of the sun and the globe has become a veritable etch-a-sketch. If these individuals didn't have armies of internet friends assuring them that it's all true, they might be more inclined to seek help from a doctor when they realize their perceptions aren't lining up with others' reality. Or, in the less extreme cases, they might just dismiss the errors as the memory glitches they are and move on.

Say, can I get in on this post-truth thing? If it's not going away, maybe I can spin it to my advantage. "I'm 5'11 and have very big knockers. It's true because I said it is."

Last edited by Butter!; 29th March 2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:01 AM   #272
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Eh. My general rule of thumb is: If it sounds like the premise for a SyFy channel movie, it's likely not to be true.

But there's still a cult following for Sharknado.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 09:08 AM   #273
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
But there's still a cult following for Sharknado.
Oh, come off it. Continents moving around and radical changes to history, I can believe, but there are some limits.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 09:20 AM   #274
Apathia
Philosopher

Yes. Since we so much pin our identities to our memories, that our memories could be flawed, chips away at our desired reality. We'd rather everyone else had it wrong than there be something wrong or in the slightest way unreal about ourselves.

Author Unknown
Old 29th March 2018, 09:31 AM   #275
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Yes. Since we so much pin our identities to our memories, that our memories could be flawed, chips away at our desired reality. We'd rather everyone else had it wrong than there be something wrong or in the slightest way unreal about ourselves.
I could totally see having that sort of reaction if a personal, dear-to-my-heart memory were challenged. But I forget small things all day long. I just shrug it off, or slap my forehead and call myself an idiot. It's difficult for me to imagine holding random detail memories to the same emotional standards. But everyone is different.

Maybe absentminded people like myself are more willing to accept our own errors, since we're so accustomed to experiencing them. A person who is a bit more of a perfectionist in general might have trouble with same.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:42 AM   #276
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

By the way, I distinctly remember watching "Shazam" with my cousin when we were young kids. I swear I recall a scene where the Sinbad genie helps a little boy deal with bullies or something. Looking back, I assume my memory is conflating Kazam and First Kid, or something similar. But it's still weird.

Not parallel-universe weird, but yeah, unsettling.
Old 29th March 2018, 10:02 AM   #277
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
By the way, I distinctly remember watching "Shazam" with my cousin when we were young kids. I swear I recall a scene where the Sinbad genie helps a little boy deal with bullies or something. Looking back, I assume my memory is conflating Kazam and First Kid, or something similar. But it's still weird.

What was spooky for me is that I was sure I hadn't seen it, but saw a coming attraction poster for it and thought 'oh, they're playing off the name Sinbad as a genie'.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 01:08 PM   #278
Jontg
The Bear Skeptic

I could totally see having that sort of reaction if a personal, dear-to-my-heart memory were challenged. But I forget small things all day long. I just shrug it off, or slap my forehead and call myself an idiot. It's difficult for me to imagine holding random detail memories to the same emotional standards. But everyone is different.

Maybe absentminded people like myself are more willing to accept our own errors, since we're so accustomed to experiencing them. A person who is a bit more of a perfectionist in general might have trouble with same.
As an absentminded perfectionist, I can attest that the former part usually wins out.
Jontg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2018, 01:48 PM   #279
Apathia
Philosopher

I agree. healthy minds don't sweat the small stuff.
It is disconcerting to find that memories of which we've fleshed out with details over years of telling the stories aren't really what we remember.

Author Unknown
Old 30th March 2018, 07:52 AM   #280
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I still feel this is the prime candidate for the Shazam misremembering.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal