IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mandela effect , memory

Old 30th March 2018, 01:41 PM   #281
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I hadn't seen that before! I bet you're right.

I was banned from commenting on the main Mandela Effect site because I suggested someone should see a doctor. I wasn't being rude at all, and I wasn't saying they were all crazy. This particular guy seemed really distressed. But they deleted my comments and banhammered me.

I wonder if they'd let you post that graphic on the site. Probably not. They really only like to host people who subscribe to the fantasy. Pro-leaning doubters can sometimes be tolerated. Skeptics? Pssshh.

ETA - This is the site I mean, by the way. I admit I lost a long afternoon when I first discovered it. http://mandelaeffect.com/

Last edited by Butter!; 30th March 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2018, 02:34 PM   #282
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Does anyone remember when there was no Mandela Effect? I can remember a time in the past when it wasn't there.
Old 31st March 2018, 01:20 AM   #283
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Say, can I get in on this post-truth thing? If it's not going away, maybe I can spin it to my advantage. "I'm 5'11 and have very big knockers. It's true because I said it is."
I say you are just fine the way you are.

But as long as we are just declaring new realities, how about you and I drive around in a van solving mysteries that are mostly real estate scams involving fake ghosts? I guess solving Mandela/Matrix glitches could also be on the schedule.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 01:53 AM   #284
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I was banned from commenting on the main Mandela Effect site because I suggested someone should see a doctor. I wasn't being rude at all, and I wasn't saying they were all crazy. This particular guy seemed really distressed. But they deleted my comments and banhammered me.

I wonder if they'd let you post that graphic on the site. Probably not. They really only like to host people who subscribe to the fantasy. Pro-leaning doubters can sometimes be tolerated. Skeptics? Pssshh.

ETA - This is the site I mean, by the way. I admit I lost a long afternoon when I first discovered it. http://mandelaeffect.com/
Well, that's not how I remember any of that!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 07:05 AM   #285
Garrison
Philosopher

Best example I have is Doctor Who. since the 70's I would have sworn that when Romana regenerated one of the options was a sort of very definitely male Viking warrior type. Recently with the arguments about the first female Doctor I went back and nope no such thing in the clip I found on YouTube. Alternate realities, or my memory scrambling up two separate event? Obviously alternate realties.
Old 31st March 2018, 03:41 PM   #286
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I suffer from a corollary of the Mandela Effect. It's being completely unaware of something that's brand new but is made to appear/seem that it's been around forever. For example, apparently there's an entire city in California somewhere that's only inhabited by black gangsta wannabe rap artists with dreadlocks and bad gold teeth, and of whom you and I have never heard ... until we do when they finally get their ups on the TMZ website (or their TV show). Then it's an all out love-fest and even a "look back at a great career" for ShBozo (or WeenerDawg or RootiCanal or SkinnyB or...) as if he's been making music for 30 years when in fact he's only 20 years old and has been in the industry for barely 6 weeks (and has no idea who Bozo really is), yet somehow already owns a Gulfstream loaded with white women and has half ownership in U-Haul™. Oh and he's either fathered a child with a Kardashian™ or he could have been the father. That corollary.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 09:09 PM   #287
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Does anyone remember when there was no Mandela Effect? I can remember a time in the past when it wasn't there.
That's nothing. I can remember when there was no Mandela!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 02:58 PM   #288
Apathia
Philosopher

Help! Help! I've been struck with another Mandela!

In an online discussion today of Martin Gardner's novel, The Flight of Peter Fromm, and odd memory bubbled up.

I remember someone starting a thread back at the JREF about the death of Martin Gardner. But a few posts in someone quoted his son to the effect that Martin was still very much alive.

I can't find this thread. Maybe it was at another forum. Sometimes I looked at the Richard Dawkins Forum before it imploded.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:19 AM   #289
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Help! Help! I've been struck with another Mandela!

In an online discussion today of Martin Gardner's novel, The Flight of Peter Fromm, and odd memory bubbled up.

I remember someone starting a thread back at the JREF about the death of Martin Gardner. But a few posts in someone quoted his son to the effect that Martin was still very much alive.

I can't find this thread. Maybe it was at another forum. Sometimes I looked at the Richard Dawkins Forum before it imploded.
Sorry, you need the forum on reality group 27, line 4b, subset A.

You should've taken that left at the last wormhole.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:30 AM   #290
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Sorry, you need the forum on reality group 27, line 4b, subset A.

You should've taken that left at the last wormhole.
Thanks, but could you draw me a map.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:57 PM   #291
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Headlines today are saying that Winnie Mandela has died. But she already had passed away years ago too, right?
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:10 PM   #292
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Thanks, but could you draw me a map.
It'd just be changed in your next timeline jump...wouldn't help.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:31 PM   #293
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I read the comments on that site. Rather than look at the obvious (hman memory is fallible, and influenced by multiple factors,) they thout time travel and parallel universes were more probable.

I KNOW I learned this in school! was common. Even if your memory is perfect (which it isn't) that just means you were taught something false.
Old 5th April 2018, 10:27 AM   #294
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Headlines today are saying that Winnie Mandela has died. But she already had passed away years ago too, right?
perhaps unrelated, but i spent a fairly long time in Africa ( south). And several people i spoke to said that in their opinion, when Mandela died, the actual death was not made official for quite some time.

Supposedly for all kinds of political reason of one sort or another.

They were not talking about the difference between actual death and official death being in years, but more in weeks (several)

A few people mentioned it, and that at that time there were all kinds of rumours of his death circulating a (few) weeks before it was made public.

I got the impression that many people kind of doubted the S.A. governments official statements on all manner of things ...kind of as a general sentiment. Sort of like the distrust you might see amongst some people in the west towards their governments and government agencies, and official versions of events....but just with a much wider % of the population thinking like that in SA

Last edited by esspee; 5th April 2018 at 10:31 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2018, 12:29 PM   #295
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Well the S.A. government did have a history of torturing people to death then claiming they died somewhere else for other reasons.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2018, 01:39 PM   #296
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
perhaps unrelated, but i spent a fairly long time in Africa ( south). And several people i spoke to said that in their opinion, when Mandela died, the actual death was not made official for quite some time.

They were not talking about the difference between actual death and official death being in years, but more in weeks (several)

A few people mentioned it, and that at that time there were all kinds of rumours of his death circulating a (few) weeks before it was made public.
What would have prevented Mandela's family from announcing his death when it happened?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2018, 03:58 PM   #297
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well the S.A. government did have a history of torturing people to death then claiming they died somewhere else for other reasons.
[Favorite white SA pres at tribunal] "Your honor, it was the damndest case of mass suicide you ever saw. There were 65 of them way out in the bush digging this huge hole. Something about a barbecue. Then the death camp, oops I mean plantation manager turned his head for just a minute to light a cig and poof out of the blue they all shot and killed each other at the exact same time. So they just buried them there in an unmarked grave because we believe in moving on. Yeah, that's what happened. We really wish we could have got it on film because we knew nobody would believe us. It's too bad our camera was in the shop that year, I mean week."

[Judge] "How many times has this happened in the past?"

[Fav pres] "Oh just 32 times your honor."

[Judge] "Okay good, your limit is 64. Don't let it happen more than 32 more times or we'll have to put out a stern memo. Dismissed."
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 07:19 AM   #298
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Old 9th April 2018, 08:21 PM   #299
shemp

Is it just me, or does anyone else remember Donald Trump being a member of the Village People?

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."

Last edited by shemp; 9th April 2018 at 08:24 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 12:06 PM   #300
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Best example I have is Doctor Who. since the 70's I would have sworn that when Romana regenerated one of the options was a sort of very definitely male Viking warrior type. Recently with the arguments about the first female Doctor I went back and nope no such thing in the clip I found on YouTube. Alternate realities, or my memory scrambling up two separate event? Obviously alternate realties.
Well, in Tom Baker's first episode as the doctor he was playing dress-up with various outfits with the Brigadier shaking his head in disapproval. The first of the outfits was a Viking outfit. You probably just mixed the two.

Found it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th June 2018, 07:12 PM   #301
Apathia
Philosopher

Oh noes!

This is worse than a Mandella. I may have found an artifact.

A brass penny 1991D!

Our world never made brass pennies. I found it in the register at work. There it was all shinny brassy among the copper plated pennies.

Did someone cross over from another empirical matrix with a purse full of these?

(I did find a brassy penny, but there's a less fantastic reason it exists.)

Author Unknown
Old 11th June 2018, 09:56 PM   #302
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I think there were some brass pennies in the 1940s. Pennies were made from a brass core coated with a copper alloy. There were some manufacturing errors where pennies got minted without the copper coat. Those are rare.

What you have was probably made with a zinc coating that was then heated like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th June 2018, 11:22 PM   #303
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I think there were some brass pennies in the 1940s. Pennies were made from a brass core coated with a copper alloy. There were some manufacturing errors where pennies got minted without the copper coat. Those are rare.

What you have was probably made with a zinc coating that was then heated like this:

I AGREE

Author Unknown
Old 12th June 2018, 09:06 PM   #304
shemp

That's strange, I remember this thread being closed a couple of years ago.

Old 12th June 2018, 11:32 PM   #305
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
That's strange, I remember this thread being closed a couple of years ago.
That's not how I recall it.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 01:18 AM   #306
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Well, I'm positive that shemp died in 1977. So, clearly we have entered a paradox.

*I originally mistyped "paradix." I wanted to leave it because it sounds hilarious (to me), but I settled for this immature ETA.*

Last edited by Butter!; 13th June 2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: yeah
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:43 AM   #307
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Does anybody remember Donald Trump dying in a Skittles accident? It's very unfortunate that his double is bald and now has to wear that awful hairpiece 24/7.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 05:56 AM   #308
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by esspee View Post

I got the impression that many people kind of doubted the S.A. governments official statements on all manner of things ...kind of as a general sentiment. Sort of like the distrust you might see amongst some people in the west towards their governments and government agencies, and official versions of events....but just with a much wider % of the population thinking like that in SA
While we doubt the government's stories as much as anyone else, I don't remember anything even vaguely like that happening here at the time of Mandela's death.

We knew he was infirm for ages. We knew he was ill nearer the end, and there were regular reports of people visiting him. He had a close friend and assistant in Zelda La Grange, who was with him throughout his last days and weeks. It forms part of the book she wrote.

Quote:
The book, titled “Good Morning, Mr Mandela”, is La Grange’s tell-all account of the time she spent at Mandela’s side and, according to excerpts and reports in the weekend media, includes insights and descriptions of the squabbling and power struggles that took place within the Mandela family both before and after the Nobel Laureate’s death in December.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 10:04 PM   #309
shemp

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That's not how I recall it.
I don't remember you being a member here.

Old 15th June 2018, 07:36 AM   #310
Apathia
Philosopher

I remember Shemp posting here that Mandela was one of the Beetles, but where is such a post?

Author Unknown
Old 18th June 2018, 07:10 AM   #311
TofuFighter
Illuminator

I remember Shemp posting here that Mandela was one of the Beetles, but where is such a post?
Eh? What do you mean? It's right there... post #309

Mandela was one of The Beetles
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 08:22 PM   #312
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I found a pretty interesting Mandela effect recently;

Old 18th June 2018, 08:23 PM   #313
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

psst... Mandala...

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 08:50 PM   #314
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
psst... Mandala...
No no you're thinking of this;

Old 18th June 2018, 09:31 PM   #315
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's... that's mancala.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 11:15 PM   #316
TofuFighter
Illuminator

If we get to Mandingo i am leaving.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:16 PM   #317
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

That's... that's mancala.
Really? In this universe it's;

Old 18th June 2018, 11:25 PM   #318
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Manicotti...

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 18th June 2018, 11:54 PM   #319
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Manicotti...
I must have shifted universes again. I must investigate further.

Regards -Sayer_Nay-
Old 19th June 2018, 10:41 PM   #320
EHocking
Philosopher

I don't remember you being a member here.
Well I’ve been called worse.

I think

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal