ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th October 2017, 12:42 PM   #1201
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's all about controlling women.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:46 PM   #1202
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Donald Trump's government has issued a ruling that allows employers to opt out of providing free birth control to millions of Americans.
The rule allows employers and insurers to decline to provide birth control if doing so violates their "religious beliefs" or "moral convictions".

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, the top Republican in Congress, praised the decision as "a landmark day for religious liberty".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41528526

I kinda hope that establishing such an exception for "religious beliefs" or "moral convictions" gets taken down the path of unintended consequences.

The fundies need to learn that their peculiar, repressed flavor of Christianity does not comprise the only "religious beliefs" or "moral convictions" in the country.
Old 6th October 2017, 12:51 PM   #1203
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I kinda hope that establishing such an exception for "religious beliefs" or "moral convictions" gets taken down the path of unintended consequences.

The fundies need to learn that their peculiar, repressed flavor of Christianity does not comprise the only "religious beliefs" or "moral convictions" in the country.
Next up: Scientologist run organizations demanding health care plans that don't offer any psychiatric care. Given their teaching about psychiatrists I'd say that s as religiously defensible as refusing to cover birth control pills.

How many left-wing run outfits can use this to refuse to cover vaccinations?

It'll be interesting when some Christian Scientists refuse to offer ANY health coverage at all.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:53 PM   #1204
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The president “will pick the winning winning design” as well. Is there no end to the mans brilliance?
Does he even have the authority to do that?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #1205
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Who will stand up and stop him if he doesn't?
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #1206
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Has The Donald's hair gone white, or did he stop showering in Cheetos dust?
In late December he briefly tried on another look. It was blondish-silver (ash blond?) and the style was different. It made him better-looking, IMO, but he might have thought it made him look old.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:13 PM   #1207
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The interesting part is how the emails to Milo show central anti-feminism and misogyny are to the alt-right's appeal. It's like their gateway drug to racism.
That's because his part started in Gamergate, the "ethics in games journalism" crowd that actually spent an amazing amount of time harassing women online. I'd bet some of those Charlottesville white supremacists came out of that movement, too.

Last edited by Mumbles; 6th October 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:15 PM   #1208
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Depends on what the bill authorizing the wall says.
With all the crap Trump has one, making a fuss over this is pretty silly.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th October 2017 at 01:17 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:16 PM   #1209
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
That's because his part started in Gamergate, the "ethics in games journalism" crowd that actually spent an amazing amount of time harassing women online. I'd bet some of those Charlottesville white supremacists came out of that movement, too.
The right does not have a monopoly on harassing women. I give you Harvey Weinstein as an example.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:25 PM   #1210
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The right does not have a monopoly on harassing women. I give you Harvey Weinstein as an example.......
Never said they did - and I didn't say all of Gamergate was on the right, either. Frankly, I suspect a lot of them didn't care much about politics. But they started as a group of angry gamers that harassed women like Zoe Quinn and Anita Saarkesian, likely for encroaching on "their" games.

Actually, Milo thought gaming was idiotic right up until this group started up, at which point he suddenly loved video games.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:38 PM   #1211
Minoosh
Philosopher

Depends on what the bill authorizing the wall says.
With all the crap Trump has one, making a fuss over this is pretty silly.
I'm not making a fuss over that, per se. Governments have purchasing laws they have to at least pretend to follow. It's Trump's normalization of his "emperor" status that bothers me. A lot of people wouldn't even question the idea that it's Trump's decision to make. Some big infrastructure project like that? It's the Deep State that executes those plans, not the CEO, because the projects take longer than any one president's tenure. There is supposed to be a fail-safe against having one person essentially dictate policy. The wall is not an executive order; it's a contract.

Right now they're just on prototypes and if the real wall as as butt-ugly as the one the BBC ran a picture of, the wall may lose some support. It's hideous, and it's not a solution at all, or even part of a solution. It's as if the designers made it as ugly as possible in order to drain support. Building a wall means a lot of other infrastructure projects aren't going to happen.

Last edited by Minoosh; 6th October 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:09 PM   #1212
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Right now they're just on prototypes and if the real wall as as butt-ugly as the one the BBC ran a picture of, the wall may lose some support. It's hideous, and it's not a solution at all, or even part of a solution. It's as if the designers made it as ugly as possible in order to drain support. Building a wall means a lot of other infrastructure projects aren't going to happen.

What tickled me when I saw that photo is that it is nothing but bog-standard precast panels. I could have taken that same photo at any of thousands of cheap, spec-built warehouse space put up by opportunistic developers everywhere.

There's a lot more that goes into preparing for those than just standing them up in a parking lot.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:10 PM   #1213
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sarah Huckabee Sanders just said that Donald Trump is " the one keeping the world from chaos".

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...43545?lo=ap_b1

Change the word "From" to "In" and she would be right....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:14 PM   #1214
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
My family keeps asking if I ever plan to move back to the states. ''I'm cool here, thanks'' is my usual response.
To be fair, that avatar photo suggests some interesting issues. Maybe your family wants to get you help. Just a thought, no offense intended.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:15 PM   #1215
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
To be fair, that avatar photo suggests some interesting issues. Maybe your family wants to get you help. Just a thought, no offense intended.
Hahahahaha. That is my favorite random internet photo ever. Plus, as a cat person, I find it disgustingly hilarious.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:27 PM   #1216
Civet
Graduate Poster

Sarah Huckabee Sanders just said that Donald Trump is " the one keeping the world from chaos".

That woman is incredible. She's so method she makes Daniel Day Lewis look like he's phoning it in.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:35 PM   #1217
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
That woman is incredible. She's so method she makes Daniel Day Lewis look like he's phoning it in.
She's had lots of practice pretending that her dad's jokes are funny and her brother is a well adjusted person.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 03:20 PM   #1218
Tero
Graduate Poster

What an idiot. This costs him nothing. He might get more Democrats behind him if he supported it.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...en-did-nothing

Rinse, repeat.
http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 03:35 PM   #1219
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And another Hurricane is going to hit the US...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.679df5823fbf

Maybe Donnie can get a fight started with the Mayor of New Orleans....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th October 2017, 03:41 PM   #1220
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's a white male, so probably not. Even though he's a Democrat.
Old 6th October 2017, 04:11 PM   #1221
Civet
Graduate Poster

He's publicly criticized Trump on immigration in recent memory and there are rumors he might want to have a go at running for president next election so this could turn ugly very easily.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 04:17 PM   #1222
Arcade22
Illuminator

Comical Ali would be proud.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 04:29 PM   #1223
Garrison
Illuminator

Already posted in the health care reform thread, but it's yet another example of Trump pandering to his base:

Trump rolls back access to free birth control

This is a pathetic display even by Trump standards and a reminder he is doing real damage every day he remains in office.
Old 6th October 2017, 04:41 PM   #1224
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's all about controlling women.
Yes, isn't it? These monkeys with shoes (h/t to Tim Minchin) barley conceal what they share with other primates. But the image below, because the primate has no hair, makes it a lot easier to imagine our deep connections to other primates.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 05:57 PM   #1225
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Yes, isn't it? These monkeys with shoes (h/t to Tim Minchin) barley conceal what they share with other primates. But the image below, because the primate has no hair, makes it a lot easier to imagine our deep connections to other primates.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...814acd3620.jpg
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 06:01 PM   #1226
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She also promised to "get back to you" on Trump's ridiculously false claim the US taxes are the highest in the world. Just today, mind you.
Old 6th October 2017, 06:35 PM   #1227
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
She also promised to "get back to you" on Trump's ridiculously false claim the US taxes are the highest in the world. Just today, mind you.
If the news agencies were smarter they would start sending their most junior reporters to the White House press briefings. As the lying continues they should then send teenage interns. With no change they should then pool reporters with several agencies sharing one at the briefing, leaving lots of vacant chairs. I wonder if any of that would get noticed? Would Trump start claiming that his press briefings were attended by more reporters than any president's in history?
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:39 PM   #1228
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

As to the first line above, idiots will be idiots (not to mention broken tools!!!!).

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 08:26 PM   #1229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN is reporting that Kelly might me nearing the breaking point;According to CNN, Wendesday Kelly told Trump, after Trumps temper tantrum over Tillerson calling him a moron,that if Tillerson left it would be very hard for him to function as chief of staff.
Since the universal opinion is that Tillerson as SOS is a dead man walking, You could have a double exit...............
Then as far as Chaos goes, we ain't seen nothing yet...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:45 PM   #1230
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
This resolution was not for against the death penalty. It was for or against the execution of LGBT. Specifically, it was about the discriminatory use of the death penalty against LGBT.
I'm a bit late but I want to make it clear that the resolution was about more than LGBT rights:

Quote:
The Human Rights Council resolution condemned the “imposition of the death penalty as a sanction for specific forms of conduct, such as apostasy, blasphemy, adultery and consensual same-sex relations”.

It attacked the use of execution against persons with “mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women”.

It also expressed “serious concern that the application of the death penalty for adultery is disproportionately imposed on women”.
Linky-poo.

As a sexist aside, the spokeswoman in the video on that page is a real looker.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 08:54 PM   #1231
SezMe
post-pre-born

Wonder if Donnie will tweet on the Tim Murphy scandal:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...istress-243456

In a year that sets new records in hypocrisy, Murphy manages to really stand out....
Look at his left hand in that picture. See the hole where he was nailed to a cross as penance for his sin.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:00 PM   #1232
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump is going to scrap the Treaty with Iran.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pla...191726673.html

Now we need a sort of gallows humor betting pool going:Which will Trump get us into a war with first:North Korea or Iran?

And we will not have an ally left in the world the way Trump is going.
This decision was a real downer for me. Worse than almost all others, except maybe his nomination of Pruitt. If he follows through, he's putting a match to the whole Middle East, if not the world. I'm to the point where even Pence would be an acceptable alternative.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:05 PM   #1233
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
A couple of prototype wall sections in this short BBC report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...er-wall-appear

Instead of being see-through and innovative, they look like big slabs of concrete to me - just like the Berlin wall.
To me they look exactly like walls of industrial/commercial buildings under construction here. If that stuff was "designed" for Trump's wall, I'll eat the concrete.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:18 PM   #1234
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Well, that's not very reassuring. Althought being Trump it might just be bluster again.
More than "might be" as stated here and here.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:29 PM   #1235
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

CNN is reporting that Kelly might me nearing the breaking point;According to CNN, Wendesday Kelly told Trump, after Trumps temper tantrum over Tillerson calling him a moron,that if Tillerson left it would be very hard for him to function as chief of staff.
Since the universal opinion is that Tillerson as SOS is a dead man walking, You could have a double exit...............
A Kelly-less WH, uff da.
Old 6th October 2017, 10:59 PM   #1236
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
To me they look exactly like walls of industrial/commercial buildings under construction here. If that stuff was "designed" for Trump's wall, I'll eat the concrete.

Exactly.
Old 7th October 2017, 03:01 AM   #1237
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
What an idiot.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 04:28 AM   #1238
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
A Kelly-less WH, uff da.
One man keeping America from going full loon.
Old 7th October 2017, 04:38 AM   #1239
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

IMO he/they will not quit. They have shown time and again that they are lickspittle lackeys willing to put up with all kinds of abuse to stay close to power - and further the far right agenda.

It's too late for any of them to grow a spine now....

Eta.....

They're touted as the voices of reason curbing his baser urges - I have yet to see evidence for that.

Last edited by The Don; 7th October 2017 at 04:41 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 04:42 AM   #1240
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Jobs numbers down this month for the 1st time in 7 years. More winning!
I'm sure the Mercers actually find this good news. It's only the part-time and casual workers who work on the clock, after all. No brokers, bond dealers, developers, hedge fund managers - you know... the RIGHT people ... are out of work.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics