ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th October 2017, 01:15 PM   #1441
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Never been a big fan of Eminem, but I did like the clips I saw of his callout rap from last night. Even more amusing was the contrasting clip of Trump from 2004, saying "Slim Shady! What a real winner!!!"

I can not wait for the response Tweet.
Old 11th October 2017, 01:31 PM   #1442
Alphaba
Optical Allusion

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
<snip>
Best plan for the Dems is to endure the next 3 years and hope the country world isn't completely destroyed.
Just putting things into the relevant perspective.

Last edited by Alphaba; 11th October 2017 at 01:34 PM.
Alphaba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:41 PM   #1443
Stacko
Philosopher

For the first time since WWII the economic census is being delayed due to underfunding.

Quote:
For more than 200 years, the federal government has regularly taken an immense survey of American business called the Economic Census. Though not as well-known as the decennial census, the big population count in which enumerators tally Americans house to house, it has been conducted at least every five years since 1905, with a gap only during World War II. Its basic measurements of economic activity, like jobs and revenue, are crucially important to companies, policymakers and anyone trying to track the nation’s economic health.

The next Economic Census was supposed to start in January, five years after the previous one, as usual. But earlier this year, the Census Bureau quietly changed its deadline, pushing it back at least six months. The agency told POLITICO that it has not publicly announced the delay but confirmed that aspects of the Economic Census were "re-planned," and the results would be out six months late.

“If the Obama guys had quietly suggested delaying the Economic Census by six months, there’d be holy hell to pay,” said a former high-ranking appointee in the Commerce Department.

According to multiple statistical experts who spoke with Census Bureau officials, the reason was money: The Census needed the money earmarked for the Economic Census to prepare for the 2020 decennial, which Congress has underfunded by hundreds of millions of dollars. In a tight budget environment, the bureau was effectively forced to choose between two of Washington’s most important efforts to collect data on the country. Even if it’s conducted on the new schedule, the delay of the 2017 Economic Census will have negative effects down the line; it leaves outdated baseline numbers in place for policymakers, and creates problems for companies that need to comply. Said another census-watcher of the 2017 survey: “It will always have this asterisk.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:52 PM   #1444
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...y-pure-fiction

Oh look Trump is saying something is fake news which means it's probably more or less truthful. Also, he's musing over the possibility of shutting down news agencies that publish things that he disagrees with or portrays him in bad light (which is essentially Trump's definition of "Fake News").

Worthless low-IQ President.

Another example of "That's not really intimidation."?
Old 11th October 2017, 02:01 PM   #1445
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Where is the rest of the GOP on this?

Has any republican governor/congressperson/official of any sort come out to say, "No, just no"?

Why would they do that?

They are generally going to love the idea.
Old 11th October 2017, 02:27 PM   #1446
Minoosh
Philosopher

I wonder why Trump is so offended about the nuclear-buildup story. It seems to me that a tenfold increase in nuclear weapons would play beautifully with his base.

It's disgusting that the press can say what it wants. Putin would never allow it.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:14 PM   #1447
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"I HATE EVERYONE!"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...house-advisers

If half of this story is true, we might be facing a President having a full scale nervous breakdown. Even the GOP Congress could not ignore or contain that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:45 PM   #1448
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"I HATE EVERYONE!"

If half of this story is true, we might be facing a President having a full scale nervous breakdown. Even the GOP Congress could not ignore or contain that.
A version of this story has come out practically every week since the inauguration. I've stopped expecting such reports to amount to much.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:45 PM   #1449
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...taver-it-wants

If only there a reason to trust Trump about anything at all.

He already said he wants a nuclear arms race and start building nukes on a grand scale again so having him say that he wants bring up the nuclear weapons stockpile back up to cold war heights doesn't seem very incredible to me.
Trump holds every opinion simultaneously, which I guess is the same as holding none at all.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:32 PM   #1450
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
A version of this story has come out practically every week since the inauguration. I've stopped expecting such reports to amount to much.
Bob Corker and Rex Tillerson should seem an extraordinary culmination but it is lost at sea in the theatre of absurd that is today’s Whitehouse.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:28 PM   #1451
halleyscomet
Philosopher

"I HATE EVERYONE!"

As long as he continues complying with their campaign button platform he’ll remain untouchable.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 06:00 PM   #1452
chrispy
Critical Thinker

"I HATE EVERYONE!"

Holy **** balls. Holy **** balls. Holy **** balls.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 09:11 PM   #1453
barehl
Master Poster

When I mentioned Reagan in another thread, people misunderstood the reference. Others will make the same mistake with Trump. People keep thinking in terms of now. But, this really isn't about now.

How Close Did Lesley Stahl Come to Reporting Reagan Had Alzheimer’s While in Office? Very Close. This Mother Jones article is from Janunary 20, 2011, long before anyone thought that Donald Trump would run for office.
In a new memoir, his son Ron suggests that Reagan suffered from the beginning stages of this disease while he was commander in chief, pointing out that his father became “lost and bewildered” during the 1984 presidential debates with Democratic nominee Walter Mondale and that in 1986 Reagan could not remember the names of familiar landmarks.

Michael Reagan claims there is no evidence his father had developed Alzheimer’s while in office: “I saw my father on and off and I never saw anything that looked like that.” And the Ronald Reagan Library and Foundation has issued a statement noting that “this subject has been well documented over the years by both President Reagan’s personal physicians, physicians who treated him after the diagnosis, as well as those who worked closely with him daily.

That's the issue. And this seems to settle it.
In her book, Leslie Stahl noted that she “had come that close to reporting that Reagan was senile. I had every intention of telling the American people what I had observed in the Oval Office.

Because Reagan seemed to “recover”—I decided I could not go out on the White House lawn and tell the public what his behavior meant. So I never did a report."

Later, when I would ask White House officials if they had ever seen him float away like that, they’d say yes, but that, as with me, he always pulled himself together. It was confusing for everyone.

Indeed, in her book—published 14 years after she left the White House beat—Stahl noted that after Reagan had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, she asked one of his chief advisers if Reagan had been senile when he was president. “Maybe there were symptoms,” this aide told her, “though I say that in hindsight. He would come to life for the cameras. He was on/off, on/off.”

Maybe others here have dealt with this. I dealt with it some when my wife was dying of congestive heart failure. She took narcotics and when the doses increased she wouldn't be lucid. And then later she would be. The person is just gone. Then they're back. I don't think you can see it without thinking about that person's mortality. I suppose it's even harder when that person is supposed to be strong and in charge.

So, this is interesting. I don't like Donald Trump and have no respect for him whatsoever. He's obviously not qualified to be president. But, could I say that he's crazy or irrational? I don't know. He has a sales background and I knew salesmen that were the same way. They would answer questions that they knew nothing about. They would speak in exaggerated terms. They were supremely self-confident and arrogant.

Trump is used to being in charge in his own company. He's used terrorizing his staff so that everyone knows that he is in charge and not to be questioned. So, now he's in way over his head and he can't understand why everyone doesn't just defer to him like he's used to. He doesn't understand why everyone isn't afraid of him and doesn't show him the supreme respect that he thinks he deserves. So, he makes threats. Remember that in his company, having Trump raise his voice would have had people hopping. He can't grasp why he now has so much authority and yet no one is doing what he wants. Keep in mind that job number one in Trump land was making Trump look good. Now that isn't working. He assumed that he understood what the problems were and how to fix them. That was probably true in a very superficial way. There's no indication that he has ever understood the full depth or complexity of the problems.

In the past Trump has told himself that his vision and leadership were enough and that his judgement was beyond reproach and of course he was very smart. And when US banks stopped lending him money because he had so many failures he told himself that they just didn't understand the markets or didn't recognize a good opportunity or maybe were just jealous of Trump's ability. There's a million ways to rationalize your failure. When he had to go to China and Russia for cash to prop up his sagging empire I'm sure he didn't admit to any ulterior motive. Naturally they just recognized what a great business man he was and how much the Trump brand was worth.

As far as I can tell, Trump is doing what he has always done, but this time he is out of his depth and there is no one to bail him out or cover up for him. Notice that the things he has tried are typical. Shuffle the staff, call in the lawyers, make threats, find someone else to blame, spin the news. These things worked for him before. He is expecting that any day now, the media will start praising him, that congress will stop fighting him, that things will get done because of his great leadership and vision, and public opinion will soar, even the people who didn't vote for him will see how lucky they are that he is president. When it doesn't work, he doubles down. It worked before; surely it will still work. He thinks he's a world class player. He doesn't grasp that these are bush league tactics in a much bigger league.

Unless you can point out something that is different from how he was in the past where the case that he is out of his mind? I'm sure Trump is tired of this process, tired of the grind, tired of being wrong, tired of failing. But, I think the last thing he's going to do is resign and admit that he is incapable of doing something that a Kenyan born pretender could do and did do for 8 years.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 09:19 PM   #1454
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

"I HATE EVERYONE in the White House!"

Fixed your quote. It really doesn't lose any effect by including the whole thing.

Quote:

Nothing in the lead to that article which would do anything to fuel Trump's paranoia;
Quote:
In recent days, I’ve spoken with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president that seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods.
It's not like he's going to be constantly eyeballing prominent Republicans and Trump advisors in the White House, wondering if they might be among the traitors.

Old 11th October 2017, 11:51 PM   #1455
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
"In journalism, a hot take is a "piece of deliberately provocative commentary that is based almost entirely on shallow moralizing" in response to a news story, "usually written on tight deadlines with little research or reporting, and even less thought"."
In that case, it was entirely appropriate that BTC use it.

Last edited by SezMe; 12th October 2017 at 12:33 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:30 AM   #1456
Bob001
Philosopher

More about what's in the White House:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...p_a_moron.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:35 AM   #1457
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Where is the rest of the GOP on this?

Has any republican governor/congressperson/official of any sort come out to say, "No, just no"?
Ben Sasse:
"Mr. President:
Are you recanting of the Oath you took on Jan. 20 to preserve, protect, and defend the 1st Amendment?"

Jeb Bush retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/918296123269189632
Old 12th October 2017, 12:41 AM   #1458
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Ben Sasse:
"Mr. President:
Are you recanting of the Oath you took on Jan. 20 to preserve, protect, and defend the 1st Amendment?"

Jeb Bush retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/918296123269189632
All talk and no trousers - or if you prefer - all hat and no cattle....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:15 AM   #1459
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
All talk and no trousers - or if you prefer - all hat and no cattle....
True.

The optimist in me sees this (and Corker) as tiny steps towards actually doing something about this "president".

The pessimist in me agrees with you that we might have this guy in the WH for seven more years.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:15 AM   #1460
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

"I HATE EVERYONE!"

If any of this is true, I would expect WH staff to organise one or two campaign-style rallies for Trump in the next short period of time. It's the only thing that cheers him up and makes him feel sane.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:02 AM   #1461
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

If any of this is true, I would expect WH staff to organise one or two campaign-style rallies for Trump in the next short period of time. It's the only thing that cheers him up and makes him feel sane.
He went to Pennsylvania yesterday.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:11 AM   #1462
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Another day, another outrage.

“President Donald Trump raged at the media Wednesday, saying in the Oval Office, “It’s frankly disgusting the press is able to write whatever they want to write.” He added, “People should look into it.””
Old 12th October 2017, 05:19 AM   #1463
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I kind a hope there is a hell just so Donald Trump can rot there forever. I have never hated a person more in my life.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:33 AM   #1464
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

“President Donald Trump raged at the media Wednesday, saying in the Oval Office, “It’s frankly disgusting the press is able to write whatever they want to write.” He added, “People should look into it.””
I'd like Trump to just outline his case and make a point by point case refuting any one particular media article that is 'fake news'.

People do it on this very site daily when something is misrepresented or false.

I get that it's not always possible, but surely it's not never possible. Am i just oversimplifying?
Old 12th October 2017, 06:06 AM   #1465
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I'd like Trump to just outline his case and make a point by point case refuting any one particular media article that is 'fake news'.
I simply do not think he is capable.

Just as I don’t think he could “outline his case” for his ideal health care plan. Or anything else, for that matter.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:11 AM   #1466
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

There oughta be a law against it!!!!!
Old 12th October 2017, 06:17 AM   #1467
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Today's Twitter rants seem to be directed at Puerto Rico

Originally Posted by 45
"Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making." says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of.....
Originally Posted by 45
...accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes. Congress to decide how much to spend....
Originally Posted by 45
...We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!
and the free press

Originally Posted by 45
The Fake News Is going all out in order to demean and denigrate! Such hatred!
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:27 AM   #1468
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Today's Twitter rants seem to be directed at Puerto Rico

and the free press
Wow, he actually managed to say a bunch of true, non offensive things about Puerto Rico.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:36 AM   #1469
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by @RealDonaldTrump
Happy to announce we are awarding $1M to Las Vegas - in order to help local law enforcement working OT to respond to last Sunday’s tragedy.
Congratulaions to Las Vegas on their award!
Old 12th October 2017, 06:48 AM   #1470
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The US is now pulling out of UNESCO because of anti-Israeli bias.

It's almost as if Trump is trying to make the US appear isolated.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:50 AM   #1471
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

The US is now pulling out of UNESCO because of anti-Israeli bias.

It's almost as if Trump is trying to make the US appear isolated.
Does it have an anti Israel bias?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #1472
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It's not pro-Israel, which for some is the same thing.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:22 AM   #1473
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
The Fake News Is going all out in order to demean and denigrate! Such hatred!
Keep crying bitch.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #1474
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Anything that doesn't unconditionally support anything and everything Israel does is not just anti-Israel but wants all Jews to be killed. There's nothing more too it.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:00 AM   #1475
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's not pro-Israel, which for some is the same thing.

And yet Israel remains a member of UNESCO. It's a good thing they have us to tell them who is against them. I'm sure they'll be withdrawing any minute...
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:04 AM   #1476
Stacko
Philosopher

Today's Twitter rants seem to be directed at Puerto Rico.
FEMA and the military are still in Texas and Florida but he isn't threatening them. What makes Puerto Rico different?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:07 AM   #1477
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
FEMA and the military are still in Texas and Florida but he isn't threatening them. What makes Puerto Rico different?
Well the one thing we can be sure of is that it isn't because of all the brown people in Puerto Rico, because President Trump has assured us that he is the least racist person in the world
Old 12th October 2017, 08:08 AM   #1478
Argumemnon
World Maker

Believe him!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:08 AM   #1479
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

The way he keeps bringing it up, I'd guess it's their debt that has him so annoyed for some reason. It seems like that's the difference he sees, anyway.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:10 AM   #1480
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They speak Spanish and are therefore rapists and murderers. And some, I assume, are good people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics