ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags obesity , obesity issues

Old 10th October 2017, 02:47 PM   #41
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

If you look at the forum weight control thread that has been going in Community for getting on for three years, you'll find that one clear message emerged. Different approaches work for different people.

Some people get on well with exercise. Some people get on well with simple calorie counting. Some people get on well by excluding particular foods. Some people manage their calorie control better by utilising intermittent fasting. The trick seems to be to discover which is the approach you can be successful with. So don't knock what someone else is doing, and don't prosyletise what you personally are doing as being "THE way to do it".

I lost about 60 lb by nothing but calorie counting. I didn't do any extra exercise at all so's you'd notice. I found that intermittent fasting worked well for me. Other people swore they couldn't last a day on 250 calories if their lives depended on it but stuck with Fitbits and things like that. Horses for courses. Maybe that's the important thing the weight control programmes are missing. Give people a range of approaches and then support them to follow the one they think is right for them, rather than banging the drum for a single approach.

The thing that struck me was how marked the health benefits of the weight loss were for me. I wasn't obese. My BMI was below 29 when I started. People didn't see me as being especially fat, comparatively speaking. I just knew that weight wasn't right for me and decided to do something about it. The list of health problems that went away and never came back is quite extensive. But I really didn't associate these things with my weight and that wasn't why I went on the diet.

I can't help feeling that if getting my BMI from 29 to 20 was accompanied by such a massive improvement in my health, how much more could people with higher BMIs improve their health by losing weight? But often I think they don't realise that various problems they may have are actually due to their weight.

A lot of it is psychological. Some people genuinely have more trouble controlling their intake than others, and it isn't a personal failing. Cravings and appetite aren't well understood, and shaming people for their personal makeup in that respect isn't going to help. Encouraging them will work better.

I don't have a magic bullet. But I do know that anyone who says "do what I tell you to do" is almost certainly wrong.

And by the way, the Atkins diet doesn't work the way they say it works, and if it did you'd die of liver failure. Inasmuch as it works at all, it works because people who are forbidden from eating carbohydrates simply eat fewer calories. It's still not good for you, don't do it.
Old 10th October 2017, 03:01 PM   #42
Ranb
Philosopher

As a person who has lost and gained weight several times since 1985, my opinion on the matter is that a person chooses to eat healthy (provided they can afford it) or chooses not to. Do I need that much sugar in my diet ever; of course not. I don't need to eat 4000 calories a day when I only need 2000. As much as I enjoy eating delicious food, I know that there is a limit and I need to be responsible for my own health.

Out of all the things that affect me in my life, deciding what to feed myself is one thing I have the most control over. I really can't imagine a person saying "it's not my fault I'm fat". Unless they have some sort of medical issue which prevents weight loss, they're solely responsible to stay at a healthy weight.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 03:44 PM   #43
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's not only fat, but KFC is pumped full of hormones.

So don't be surprised if you start sprouting man boobs (moobs).
Hormones break down at much lower temperatures than cooking. Your fear is unfounded.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 03:46 PM   #44
sadhatter
Philosopher

The simple fact is, people eat all day long and stack up their plates.

Stick to regular eating times and eat moderate portions.

Food is not a hobby. Eat to live, not live to eat.
Wow from one extreme to another, this post I whole heartedly agree with. Don't use food as entertainment or a social bonding experience did wonders for me.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:10 PM   #45
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
As a person who has lost and gained weight several times since 1985, my opinion on the matter is that a person chooses to eat healthy (provided they can afford it) or chooses not to. Do I need that much sugar in my diet ever; of course not. I don't need to eat 4000 calories a day when I only need 2000. As much as I enjoy eating delicious food, I know that there is a limit and I need to be responsible for my own health.

Out of all the things that affect me in my life, deciding what to feed myself is one thing I have the most control over. I really can't imagine a person saying "it's not my fault I'm fat". Unless they have some sort of medical issue which prevents weight loss, they're solely responsible to stay at a healthy weight.

Ranb
Yet you repeatedly gained weight after losing it. Did you seek to gain weight? If not, and you didn't want to gain weight, what made you start to eat unhealthily again? And why couldn't you stop yourself?

My point- it is not really just a simple choice. What our brain chooses is not simply what we "want" it to choose. Just as with OCD, our brains will insist on doing things that the rationale parts of our thinking do not want us to do. You wanted to eat healthy and stay thinner, yet some part of you, a part that you could not resist at the time, told you otherwise. You might view this as if you are solely responsible for your weight, which is technically true, but that doesn't mean that you truly had intellectual conscious free will in making the choices you did.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:15 PM   #46
Rolfe

Absolutely true. It's a gross over-simplification to say that people can simply choose and they are responsible for their own weight. It is far far harder for some people to control what they eat than many people realise. Blaming and shaming doesn't help in the slightest.

What is needed is tips and tricks a motivated person can use to get themselves to eat less. Different people find different tricks work for them.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:04 PM   #47
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Yet you repeatedly gained weight after losing it. Did you seek to gain weight? If not, and you didn't want to gain weight, what made you start to eat unhealthily again? And why couldn't you stop yourself?
I cared more about overeating tasty food than my health or appearance.

My point- it is not really just a simple choice....
I was aware of the effect that overeating was having on my body. My weight and blood pressure went up as well as my cholesterol.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:46 PM   #48
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Sure- thin people think fat people have only themselves to blame and therefore should pay more for their health insurance. People who don't drink alcohol think people who do have only themselves to blame and therefore should pay more for their health insurance. People who don't smoke think that people who do (a really high health risk there) have only themselves to blame and therefore should pay more for their health insurance. People who exercise religiously.... The list goes on and on, and of course everyone puts themselves in the low payment category and thinks it's the others who are voluntarily ruining their health and should pay higher premiums. If one combines all the "bad behavior" categories who should pay more probably only a few monks somewhere in Tibet qualify for the cheapest payment rates!

First, it is not so easy to define voluntary behavior. For example, metabolism is very complicated and becoming fat (or staying fat, or becoming fat again after losing weight) is not just due to gluttony. For a variety of reasons it is extraordinarily difficult for many people to not gain, and once gained, to lose weight. It is like telling a depressed person to just cheer up. Most fat people know there are fat, are embarrassed or even horrified by it, and want nothing more than to lose that extra weight. But for a variety of emotional and physiological reasons they cannot. Probably part of this reflects the fact we evolved from a feast and famine existence and our programmed approach to food doesn't work well in an environment where food is constantly available. And I point this out as a skinny person.

The same is true of other addictions and other "poor" life styles. They are part of human nature and not simply things that one can use to shame others, to blame others, and to "make them pay" for "their own poor choices." We all have something about us that increases our risks of certain diseases- sometimes it is genetic, sometimes it is our environment or workplace, and sometimes it is one or more of these "voluntary" behaviors that are not all that voluntary. Health insurance is a way of pooling these risks, and I will help pay for the risks of the people who cannot lose weight if they will pay my risk of a reoccurring neoplasia. It seems fair enough to me.
Well, It is tantamount to telling cancer victims that they should just "man up" and heal themselves already, or that amputees should simply quit moaning and grow any extra limb, the lazy twits. How hard can it be? Are you simply not motivated enough to grow an extra arm/leg/whatever?
Old 10th October 2017, 05:53 PM   #49
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What an absurd analogy.

Overweight people lose weight all the time, obviously with varying degrees of success.

While no one has been documented to have accomplished any of your counter examples.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 10th October 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:58 PM   #50
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
What an absurd analogy.
Why? You think that mental illness is imaginary? That it is not debilitating?

Guess again. We have plenty of examples right here on this very site.
Old 10th October 2017, 06:05 PM   #51
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Mental illness?

Can I help you with that bale of straw?

Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 06:26 PM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Mental illness?

Can I help you with that bale of straw?
I don't know. So far, you seem to be claiming that no such thing exists. Or can possibly exist.

Care to elaborate?
Old 10th October 2017, 06:33 PM   #53
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sure, if you go by BMI, which doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle. So you can be "obese" with low body fat, and you can be "normal" with moderate body fat.
I remember years ago reading an article, one I am currently having trouble locating, that showed BMI would list Lebron James as obese, at 6'7'' and 270lbs (roughly 2.02meters and 122 kg). The man has below 7% body fat at that weight, so BMI is not always the best option.

Last edited by chrispy; 10th October 2017 at 06:35 PM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 06:38 PM   #54
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

What an absurd analogy.
Yes, it's an absurd analogy. The fact that someone is obese is almost always a result of their behavior. The fact that someone has cancer or is an amputee almost never is.

Sure, you can unpack the reasons people behave the way they do, and we could start talking about contra-causal free will and so on, or we could question whether it was their fault they were born that way or exposed to an environment that caused them to behave in such a way, and so on. But why does this come up so often when speaking of the reasons for obesity?
Old 10th October 2017, 06:42 PM   #55
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I remember years ago reading an article, one I am currently having trouble locating, that showed BMI would list Lebron James as obese, at 6'7'' and 270lbs (roughly 2.02meters and 122 kg). The man has below 7% body fat at that weight, so BMI is not always the best option.
It's a reasonable proxy for body fat measurements of population-level statistics in a largely sedentary population, where body weight and body fat correlate reasonably well. But it's far inferior to actual body fat percentage, its only advantage being it's much easier to measure. That's a significant plus if you want to study 10,000 people. It's of no advantage to an individual trying to improve their own health.

Get your muscle mass up, get your body fat percentage down (doesn't have to be 10%, but shouldn't be 30%), and your BMI won't really matter.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 07:19 PM   #56
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I don't know. So far, you seem to be claiming that no such thing exists. Or can possibly exist.

Care to elaborate?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Where is anyone arguing about the existence of mental illness?

Old 10th October 2017, 08:18 PM   #57
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Are we going with definition #1 in Merriam Webster, excess in eating or drinking, or definition #2 (which I think is the one most people really mean when using the word gluttony) greedy or excessive indulgence? Because certainly gaining weight is caused by taking in and storing more calories than one "burns." But even this is not as simple as many people think. As I posted, metabolisms is very complex. Just one example, on the Atkin's diet (or its more recent derivatives) people take in far more calories than they burn, but by tricking their metabolic regulation (by eating most of those calories as fat or protein) these people still lose weight because they do not store those extra calories. They can be gluttons but still lose weight. Conversely a person can gain weight even when eating fewer calories than a skinny person depending on their genetics, the nature of those calories, the time of day they eat, and their physical efforts, etc. I've studied in lab genetically altered mice that due to a mutation in a single gene become obese even though they eat fewer calories than otherwise absolutely identical mice that stay thin.
Your mice aside, all the things you list are mainstream myths about obesity, not science. Metabolism varies predictably by height, weight, and activity level, and obese people (ceteris paribus) have higher metabolisms due to their weight they are sustaining. Metabolism is indeed a complex system, which is why the body doesn't do crazy thing.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:39 PM   #58
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Do people not know they are fat? Is there an epidemic of shaming and mental illness?

Yes, I would argue this is increasingly a problem as obesity in normalized. As more and more people in the US became overweight, fewer people saw themselves as such. Now it is at the point that half of the overweight population do not see themselves as overweight and the "ideal" weight has inflated with the average. "Dad-bod" and "middle-age spread" are the most recent nomenclatures for the common acceptance of middle-aged obesity. Fewer and fewer are even attempting to lose weight.

Now I'm not saying there aren't systemic factors (obviously the environment of obese peers factors into the above statistics). There are clear, repeating patterns involving poverty, education, the Western Diet, etc.

But at the same time that doesn't mean that people can't lose weight because of the preservatives in McDonald's food, or genetics, or their slow metabolism, or they can't give up pasta, or whatever pseudoscience people tell themselves. And this doesn't get into all the pseudoscience about how to lose weight people buy into and inevitably fail with, and then go back to the prior rationalizations.
Old 10th October 2017, 11:57 PM   #59
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The CEO of Britain's NHS has already claimed obesity threatens to bankrupt the organisation.
As I have said here on several occasions, the last 50 years or so has been the only time in human history that a sustained excess availability of food has not resulted in a population explosion (just as it does with every other animal on Earth).

What I do find concerning, though is the notion that the government can really do something about it. The impulse is natural; as noted without it some of the socialized medical plans around the world will go bankrupt.

How many other behaviors also result in increased medical costs? Smoking, certainly, and alcohol consumption to excess. A lot of daredevil and stunt-type behavior leads to injuries.

Do you see where this is going? There was a famous science fiction story called "With Folded Hands". The concept was that a new type of robot had arrived on Earth from an alien world. The robots were perfect; they could handle any task better than a human. But the problem soon became evident; in their zeal to help humans, and prevent any harm from coming to them, they quickly forbade a lot of activities (IIRC smoking and drinking were on the list).

As for a shock ad campaign, you are certainly going against the grain there; fat-shaming is a big no-no these days.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:36 AM   #60
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

According to this BBC story based on a WHO study, children are getting fatter and fatter younger:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41550159

Quote:
Child and teenage obesity levels have risen ten-fold in the last four decades, meaning 124m boys and girls around the globe are too fat, according to new research.

The analysis in the Lancet is the largest of its kind and looks at obesity trends in over 200 countries.

In the UK, one in every 10 young people aged five to 19, is obese.

Obese children are likely to become obese adults, putting them at risk of serious health problems, say experts.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:39 AM   #61
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As I have said here on several occasions, the last 50 years or so has been the only time in human history that a sustained excess availability of food has not resulted in a population explosion (just as it does with every other animal on Earth).

What I do find concerning, though is the notion that the government can really do something about it. The impulse is natural; as noted without it some of the socialized medical plans around the world will go bankrupt.

How many other behaviors also result in increased medical costs? Smoking, certainly, and alcohol consumption to excess. A lot of daredevil and stunt-type behavior leads to injuries.

Do you see where this is going? There was a famous science fiction story called "With Folded Hands". The concept was that a new type of robot had arrived on Earth from an alien world. The robots were perfect; they could handle any task better than a human. But the problem soon became evident; in their zeal to help humans, and prevent any harm from coming to them, they quickly forbade a lot of activities (IIRC smoking and drinking were on the list).

As for a shock ad campaign, you are certainly going against the grain there; fat-shaming is a big no-no these days.
Ah, the old slippery-slope argument - well played

Successive governments in the UK have been successful at reducing smoking rates with associated benefits for public health - other governments around the world have also been successful in this regard.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:50 AM   #62
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

As I posted, metabolisms is very complex. Just one example, on the Atkin's diet (or its more recent derivatives) people take in far more calories than they burn, but by tricking their metabolic regulation (by eating most of those calories as fat or protein) these people still lose weight because they do not store those extra calories. They can be gluttons but still lose weight. Conversely a person can gain weight even when eating fewer calories than a skinny person depending on their genetics, the nature of those calories, the time of day they eat, and their physical efforts, etc.
This is nonsense.

Atkins works in same way as any high protein/low carb diet. Protein makes you feel full so you eat less calories.

There is no "tricking of metabolism" going on, beyond a slight increase in calories burned by the body having to convert protein into glucose for respiration.

What do you think actually happens?

Do you think someone on Atkins poops out a whole load of fat and protein?

Otherwise what happens to the calories?

How is it possible, given the first law of thermodynamics, that someone can eat fewer calories than they burn, yet still put on weight?
Old 11th October 2017, 02:05 AM   #63
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

in practice it's impossible for most people to actually measure either side with any accuracy.
You don't need that much accuracy though. A smart phone and app suffice to easily record an estimate for most things (provided you eating out the whole time), and you can adjust your estimates by being more or less conservative or generous depending on the tale of the scale.
Old 11th October 2017, 04:24 AM   #64
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
You don't need that much accuracy though. A smart phone and app suffice to easily record an estimate for most things (provided you eating out the whole time), and you can adjust your estimates by being more or less conservative or generous depending on the tale of the scale.
I would have to agree with this one. I lost 50 lbs using a pen, a piece of paper, and nutritiondata.com. Wasn't that had to get a decent estimate of my calorie intake and adjust accordingly.

At the time I weighed 230. I got down to 180. I could not break the 180 mark. I was down to 1400 calories a day and I still could not lose anymore. And it gets a lot more challenging to get adequate nutrition ad 1400 calories a day LOL.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:33 AM   #65
Rolfe

That's where intermittent fasting can help. Of course, these numbers don't mean a lot without your height. I'm 5' 7" and I was doing 250 calories 3 days a week then 1300 calories on the other 4 days. Got my BMI right down to 20. Feel so much better it's unreal.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:29 AM   #66
rustypouch
Philosopher

Obesity has all sorts of costs, societal and person. There's nothing good about being fat.

People get defensive when it's brought up, know matter how gently.

How are we supposed to deal with people whose lifestyle and choices have such adverse affects? We don't have a problem shaming smokers, excessive drinkers, drug users, or people who have risky hobbies, but pointing out that consistently overeating results in unpleasantness is taboo.

Regarding BMI: it's not perfect. It's great for populations, and a first pass tool for individuals. Its main issue is that it tends to underestimate obesity when compared to body fat percentage.

"BMI characterized 26% of the subjects as obese, while DXA indicated that 64% of them were obese. 39% of the subjects were classified as non-obese by BMI, but were found to be obese by DXA. BMI misclassified 25% men and 48% women. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22485140
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:53 AM   #67
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

It's not only fat, but KFC is pumped full of hormones.

So don't be surprised if you start sprouting man boobs (moobs).
Bullcrap. Learn a few things before spouting stupid nonsense.

There are NO hormones approved for use in chicken or pork, of any kind, in the U.S. If KFC has hormones then you can have them shut down and sued into next century. I get so tired of hearing this ignorant crap. The "hormone-free" labels on chicken are about as useful and informative as "asbestos-free" labeling on breakfast cereal.

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary.../ucm055436.htm

FDA approves some growth hormones for beef cattle and sheep.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-ad...lations-2016-3

Describes that poultry and pork are not allowed to have ANY hormones.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...8Ay-NlYw!!/#15
Quote:
NO HORMONES (pork or poultry):
Hormones are not allowed in raising hogs or poultry. Therefore, the claim "no hormones added" cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

Last edited by Hellbound; 11th October 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:56 AM   #68
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
The "hormone-free" labels on chicken are about as useful and informative as "asbestos-free" labeling on breakfast cereal.
You can buy asbestos-free cereal? I'm totally buying that next time! No more asbestos for me!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 09:43 AM   #69
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

You can buy asbestos-free cereal? I'm totally buying that next time! No more asbestos for me!
Heh. I was, of course, referencing an xckd comic.

And sorry to all for the mini-rant up there, it's just one of my pet peeves that companies can do this type of thing. Like "gluten-free" labels on bottled water, giving the false impression that other bottled water has gluten. Tyson is the big one now with hormone-free chicken...their commercials leave one with the impression that other chicken producers use them, which is false.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:44 PM   #70
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

As long as we're being honest with each other, there's one group that costs a lot more than the obese: the elderly. Anybody got any tough love advice on how to shape that lot up?
Old 11th October 2017, 05:09 PM   #71
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
As long as we're being honest with each other, there's one group that costs a lot more than the obese: the elderly. Anybody got any tough love advice on how to shape that lot up?
Actually, yes.
https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Presc...dp/0982522770/
Old 11th October 2017, 09:20 PM   #72
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Yes, it's an absurd analogy. The fact that someone is obese is almost always a result of their behavior. The fact that someone has cancer or is an amputee almost never is.

Sure, you can unpack the reasons people behave the way they do, and we could start talking about contra-causal free will and so on, or we could question whether it was their fault they were born that way or exposed to an environment that caused them to behave in such a way, and so on. But why does this come up so often when speaking of the reasons for obesity?

Because most people are fat, therefore almost everyone is biased in that way.

I'd say scare tactics worked for me with cigarettes. Or maybe I should call it education. We learned a lot about the heart in 5th grade, dissected cows hearts. It was a cool and unusual school. There was a lot of anti-smoking stuff back then too. My Dad smoked and I gave him a hard time until he quit.

I smoked a bit in high school, realized how stupid it was and stopped.

ETA:
I have been concentrating more on my health and diet these past several years, partly because I'm 50 in a few weeks. I see people around me in bad health and it motivates me.

Last edited by mgidm86; 11th October 2017 at 09:23 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 09:29 PM   #73
mgidm86
Illuminator

I absolutely think that we should not "normalize" obesity, although shaming - well it depends on what you mean by shaming.

Remember the "Hey White People" commercial? Nobody seemed concerned about shaming then. Why not put a little pressure on fatness ("Fitness, Not Fatness!", I'm trademarking that).

We actually shame other people who complain about having to sit next to fat people. Screw that.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 10:09 PM   #74
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I absolutely think that we should not "normalize" obesity, although shaming - well it depends on what you mean by shaming.
It depends on which end of the telescope you're looking from. Some people would consider any mention of being overweight and any inference that there may be negative health implications as being fat-shaming and will immediately counter with examples of 350lb athletes who are in great shape (though what shape their knees will be in when they're 60 is another matter and if it's a contact sport, their brain too), a relative/friend/acquaintance who is heavy but who does runs marathons and whatnot and various studies that show that being somewhat overweight is no worse for long term health than being ideal weight.

There was programme on the BBC about a year ago which focused on the US' "fattest city". People were losing legs to the effects of type-2 diabetes but were still unwilling to change their lifestyles and indeed were complaining about the fat shaming behaviour of those who were suggesting that they change their lifestyle.

It's an incredibly difficult subject to broach, particularly if the person in question is currently in good (or what they think is good) health. About 20 years ago I was close to 60lbs heavier than I am now. I'd have said I was in good shape because I could run 10k in under an hour, went to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours and played squash regularly. I was wrong. 20 years on and nearly 60lbs lighter the the day to day aches and pains are gone, the digestive issues are resolved and I don't wheeze going up stairs. If someone other than Mrs Don had suggested that I needed to lose weight AND if she wasn't already pushing at an open door (in my heart of hearts I knew it was true) then I'd likely be even heavier today.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:28 PM   #75
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Being most definitely one of that group I recommend keeping moving, in particular, tap dancing. I have shrunk at least 2.5 inches - pause to grumble under my breath, since at one time I was 5'7.5" - but have proportionately kept the weight down.
As Vixen said up thread somewhere, in ye olden dayes, parents cooked and taught us how to do the same. That wouldn't really work in the same way nowadays, but the principle remains, I think.

Slight tangent: Keeping muscles strong can avoid having a hip replacement. I have had a worn-out hip, for a long time but keeping fit means it can remain in situ.

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 11th October 2017 at 10:39 PM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:15 AM   #76
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Those limp-jowled, waddling, double-chinned, unemployed 5:00pm buffet grazers need Jawzrsize!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 12th October 2017, 05:40 AM   #77
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I meant suggestions on how to stop them from being old, which is the root cause of their problems.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:51 AM   #78
rustypouch
Philosopher

I meant suggestions on how to stop them from being old, which is the root cause of their problems.
You're smart enough to know that the difference between oldies and fatties.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:51 AM   #79
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Remember the "Hey White People" commercial? Nobody seemed concerned about shaming then. Why not put a little pressure on fatness ("Fitness, Not Fatness!", I'm trademarking that).

We actually shame other people who complain about having to sit next to fat people. Screw that.
Let's not forget that it is perfectly acceptable to shame skinny people - "Eat a burger!" Runway models can be discussed constantly and told how they are not normal and they look unhealthy, but if you say it about a fat person, you are evil.

As a male, I have heard it my whole life, even though I am not skinny at 5'10" 175. My daughter is 5'5" 105, eats healthy and a lot, but gets told she's anorexic. Shall I call the news and complain about a school teacher saying that to her?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:05 AM   #80
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
...I eat poorly because of time and convenience.
I never understood this. Not picking on you, but it's a quote I've heard a lot.

I bring a couple pieces of fruit, a yogurt, some leftovers from dinner, a bottle of water to work. If I'm hungry, I grab something from my stash and eat it. I take my "lunch" break and walk two miles.

Co-workers who don't bring a lunch take a half hour to walk out, find a place to eat, wait in line, either sit down at a restaurant or bring the food back to the office. Unless they order in. Then they have to pay and (*gasp) TIP!! Too rich for my blood.

I'm not seeing the time or convenience here. Takes me a couple minutes in the morning to put a few items in my lunch before I leave.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events