ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 11th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #761
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
They carry a reality impact regardless of legality.

Lynchings were not a power of the office, but they were carried out by law enforcement officials.
Carried about by someone who has a job and using power of that job are not the same.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:33 PM   #762
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Carried about by someone who has a job and using power of that job are not the same.
If you want to see the difference in having the weight of the office behind you and not, then consider this. How effective would Trump have been if this was 2013?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:35 PM   #763
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If you want to see the difference in having the weight of the office behind you and not, then consider this. How effective would Trump have been if this was 2013?
Weight is not a power of the office. The ability to veto legislation is a power.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:36 PM   #764
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's having the celebrity status of the job behind him, the "bully pulpit". There's no actual Executive Branch authority in play here.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:41 PM   #765
Darth Rotor
Suspended

I've gotten this email now for about the sixth time. What is interesting is that I've discovered the following: the NBA actually has a rule about standing for the anthem, but the NFL does not (in terms of a thing covered in the CBA between the league and the NFLPA. And now the email that never stops hitting my box.
Quote:
In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling for each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his blackout to avoid glare and made him take it off.

In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders....

In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.

In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing "Find the Cure" eye black for breast cancer awareness.

In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem...)

In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.

In 2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.
Saw in the news yesterday that Roger the Commissioner is going to have a meeting with the owners to discuss all this.

Heard on the radio the following, not sure of its truth: NFL and the networks didn't start showing the players standing for the anthem until about the 2009 season, unless it was a play off game. (Anything to fill the dead air time before the actual game, eh?)

I was told by my scout master that the last two words of the national anthem are not "Play Ball!" (Baseball reference from the 1970's).

What, I wonder, is it that the Comish thinks he's going to solve? The owners do not seem to be of one mind about all of this.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #766
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's having the celebrity status of the job behind him, the "bully pulpit". There's no actual Executive Branch authority in play here.
Weight is not a power of the office. The ability to veto legislation is a power.
Yeah, because any Joe Bloggs with a "Bully Pulpit" and Celebrity can threaten to change the Tax Code to negatively effect those that oppose them.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:28 PM   #767
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Yeah, because any Joe Bloggs with a "Bully Pulpit" and Celebrity can threaten to change the Tax Code to negatively effect those that oppose them.
Yes. You can absolutely threaten it.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:29 PM   #768
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. You can absolutely threaten it.
and it has as much power an empty water pistol. But when the President does it, that has the power of his office behind it, he can make it happen.

My Apollo Page.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:32 PM   #769
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

and it has as much power an empty water pistol. But when the President does it, that has the power of his office behind it, he can make it happen.
And attempting to make it happen is power. Saying it is not.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:35 PM   #770
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

President's words could start a war.

that is power.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:36 PM   #771
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
President's words could start a war.

that is power.
No, it isn't. This is about " a power" not "power."
Old 11th October 2017, 05:39 PM   #772
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Weight is a power. When the president says things, there is a power behind what he says. When Trump rants about a particular industry watch what the power of his words does to that industry's stock price.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:40 PM   #773
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Weight is a power. When the president says things, there is a power behind what he says. When Trump rants about a particular industry watch what the power of his words does to that industry's stock price.
None of that makes it a power. The powers of the office have been enumerated.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:43 PM   #774
Spindrift

None of that makes it a power. The powers of the office have been enumerated.
Just because they aren't amongst the enumerate powers doesn't make the powers any less real.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:47 PM   #775
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Just because they aren't amongst the enumerate powers doesn't make the powers any less real.
That is exactly what it means. Any other power is a work of fiction.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:47 PM   #776
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Heck, look what happens when a President casually mentions Broccoli!

My Apollo Page.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:48 PM   #777
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It's so cute that you believe that....

My Apollo Page.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:58 PM   #778
Spindrift

What a unique use of the English language.

It's fictional that Trump has caused an issue with NFL?
Old 11th October 2017, 05:59 PM   #779
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, because any Joe Bloggs with a "Bully Pulpit" and Celebrity can threaten to change the Tax Code to negatively effect those that oppose them. : rolleyes :
The President has no more power to change the tax code than Rachel Maddow does.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 06:02 PM   #780
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I mean he can veto, but as for getting his ideas passed they have about as much power.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:07 PM   #781
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean he can veto, but as for getting his ideas passed they have about as much power.
The most he can do is block a change.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:03 PM   #782
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

really....

My Apollo Page.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:16 PM   #783
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, really. Did you actually read the link? Do you not understand the separation of powers?

The tax code is law. The president can propose any changes to the law he wants, just like Rachel Maddow can. And just like Rachel Maddow, he has no power to enact any of this proposals.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:24 PM   #784
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, really. Did you actually read the link? Do you not understand the separation of powers?

The tax code is law. The president can propose any changes to the law he wants, just like Rachel Maddow can. And just like Rachel Maddow, he has no power to enact any of this proposals.
When Rachel Maddow sends a proposal to the Senate and it's treated with the same authority as one sent to them by the President, you might have a point, until then you just keep on spinning your semantics.

No one is saying that he can click his fingers and write it into law all by himself, they are saying that with the weight of the office he has the power to tell the people that write the laws to do things, and then expect them to be done, especially when like now the same party holds both houses and the Executive.

It's funny how you and others on the Right blamed Obama for Legislation you didn't like during his term, but now it's all "Trump doesn't have the power to do anything." I guess since Obama didn't have any power over Healthcare then the ACA isn't his, not the Environmental regulations and laws, and so forth.

My Apollo Page.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:33 PM   #785
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

When Rachel Maddow sends a proposal to the Senate and it's treated with the same authority as one sent to them by the President, you might have a point, until then you just keep on spinning your semantics.
Both of us are in a semantics argument. We are both arguing over meaning.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:24 AM   #786
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

That would imply that any Presidential candidate campaigning on a tax reform platform is a freaking liar and ought to be laughed out of town?

That is an obviously ridiculous idea.

As if Reagan never lowered taxes.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:53 AM   #787
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Why can't the gladiators NFL players just entertain me! I'm not here to hear the plight of the slaves athletes that are forced to compete in a nation that regards them as unworthy of equal rights. I'm not going to admit that Rome America isn't the bastion of egalitarian delights I want to imagine it to be so I can justify not caring about the lepers victims of police brutality. How can they even complain when the gladiators that survive players get all that money, endorsements and sex?

Get out there and fight play!
Old 12th October 2017, 05:19 AM   #788
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Just scrap the anthem at non-political events altogether. Or go whole hog, and mandate the pledge of allegiance, including its theocratic clause, "under God." The latter is best done while face-recognition software scans the crowd for dirtbag liberal holdouts for later imprisonment, with a direct feed to the NRA, Fox News, and GOP party headquarters, the Good Lord's only remaining TruPatriots not tainted by factual reasoning. Good news is, since these are not enemy combatants, just enemies, maybe they qualify for some nice down time away from the rule of law on Guantanamo. Torture of liberals for sport! Now that's something to sing for.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:21 AM   #789
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 12th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #790
Lurch
Thinker

Travis's and Hlafordlaes's posts (787 and 788, just above), being inspired to satire by the antics of Conservatives, are why such dystopic fiction as The Handmaid's Tale and much else resonates. It's just to easy to look forward in time and imagine the potential for frightful policy such fervent people could implement if the opportunity arose for them.

While they moan on about the Gubmint coming to take their guns which are ostensibly required to rise up against a tyrannical gubmint, that same lot could mindlessly permit a Fascistic power structure to set itself up. They're already eminently satisfied with a kleptocracy.

Last edited by Lurch; 12th October 2017 at 05:51 AM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:07 AM   #791
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Edited by Agatha:  Edited for breach of rule 12

Last edited by Agatha; 14th October 2017 at 07:37 AM.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:32 AM   #792
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

No, it isn't. This is about " a power" not "power."
As the one who introduced the term into the conversation, I regret to inform you that you're wrong.

Last edited by johnny karate; 12th October 2017 at 06:35 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:35 AM   #793
johnny karate

Yes, nuance and semantics are important to examine in President Trump's latest assault on free speech.

Meanwhile, kneeling football players are ruining the world:
Think about it a little more, and you might not find it funny at all. They aren't doing enough to make the world a better place, and they're doing too much to make the world a worse place. The mix of criticism rightly expresses this sad situation.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:39 AM   #794
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
As the one who introduced the term into the conversation, I regret to inform you that you're wrong.
Just because you wrote it, doesn't mean you know what you are talking about (death of the author).
Old 12th October 2017, 06:50 AM   #795
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Just because you wrote it, doesn't mean you know what you are talking about (death of the author).
And just because you contradict him, doesn't make you right either.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:52 AM   #796
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
And just because you contradict him, doesn't make you right either.
I would not be that presumptuous to think that is true.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:55 AM   #797
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Apropos to nothing, I saw a webcomic this morning.

A man is out walking with his daughter.
"Your shoelace is untied Daddy."
"Oops." The man kneels to tie his shoelace.
A man dressed entirely in clothes that look like the American flag bursts into the scene. "Stop disrespecting our flag!!!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:57 AM   #798
Spindrift

Old 12th October 2017, 07:01 AM   #799
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Well duh.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:07 AM   #800
johnny karate

But I certainly know whether or not I was referring to "a power".

I wasn't.

You're wrong.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics