ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 10th October 2017, 12:18 PM   #481
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
The two people participating in the thread who believe telepathy exists are the two who absolutely refuse to engage in a fair test to show telepathy exists? Interesting in a non-surprising way.

If KotA is not now claiming that he is telepathic, what purpose could testing him serve? You'd be testing the truth of a proposition that nobody is proposing (anymore).

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 02:57 PM   #482
steenkh
Philosopher

But actually, KotA has not dropped his claim that he can do telepathy, he just thinks it is best to let it be unknown. In this way he can always claim, or at least hint, that he can do it, and he can always maintain that it has not been disproved.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #483
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

I'd be happy if KotA would just share with us the evidence he claims to watch on YouTube that demonstrates the existence of telepathy. How is it possible he has the time to watch the videos, and post here, but not cut and paste the addresses of the videos here?

I wonder if the citations in his graduate work is just, "I read some stuff that shows I'm right. Look for it yourself."
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:37 PM   #484
p0lka
Muse

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I 'believe in' telepathy, I just have no desire to confirm that I or anyone has such ability for certain.

Somethings are best left unknown.
I have the powers of superman and the scarlet witch, I decline every test to prove it though as I'm worried about the ensuing fame I would get, and i'm just not into being famous, so I understand where you are coming from.

Last edited by p0lka; 10th October 2017 at 04:40 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:46 PM   #485
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Can you blovved non-bleevers in Christ almighty pause for a moment while we cook some french fries?
I'm so tired of this Christ is Good stuff, I'm losing my mind!

Last edited by John Jones; 10th October 2017 at 05:10 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:58 PM   #486
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
There's such a pong of narcissism in the air after you post. Whatever could it be?
Hand lotion.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:00 AM   #487
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
*The potential consequences of positive results...
What were the results for the people who published the well-researched data, and who uploaded the astounding test results onto YouTube?
Old 11th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #488
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
If KotA is not now claiming that he is telepathic, what purpose could testing him serve? You'd be testing the truth of a proposition that nobody is proposing (anymore).
Not claiming that.

I simply believe some people might have this ability.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 11th October 2017 at 02:51 PM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:47 PM   #489
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
But actually, KotA has not dropped his claim that he can do telepathy, he just thinks it is best to let it be unknown. In this way he can always claim, or at least hint, that he can do it, and he can always maintain that it has not been disproved.
I believe I might be capable of such things, I just have no desire to quantify this potential ability.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:48 PM   #490
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I have the powers of superman and the scarlet witch, I decline every test to prove it though as I'm worried about the ensuing fame I would get, and i'm just not into being famous, so I understand where you are coming from.
Not exactly.
Old 11th October 2017, 02:50 PM   #491
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Fortunately, neither side exists.

Dave
I'm okay with that too.
Old 11th October 2017, 02:51 PM   #492
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What were the results for the people who published the well-researched data, and who uploaded the astounding test results onto YouTube?
Look into it...I don't have time.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:04 PM   #493
fagin
Illuminator

Because it doesn't exist.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:39 PM   #494
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Because it doesn't exist.
If the placebo effect is real, could a false positive test create telepathy?
Old 11th October 2017, 05:48 PM   #495
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

I did. The videos explicitly say you are wrong. How do you explain that?
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:54 PM   #496
Loss Leader

If the placebo effect is real, could a false positive test create telepathy?

Um, what?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:56 PM   #497
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Not claiming that.

I simply believe some people might have this ability.
I am 100% certain that some people claim this ability with no decent supporting evidence.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:02 PM   #498
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I believe I might be capable of such things, I just have no desire to quantify this potential ability.
Can you think of any reason why that unsupported statement of belief should be taken seriously?

Last edited by John Jones; 11th October 2017 at 06:04 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 07:01 PM   #499
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Um, what?
If you witnessed a test, that 'seemed' to indicate telepathy was real (even though it was fakery or a false positive), could belief in the test results produce telepathy?
Old 11th October 2017, 07:06 PM   #500
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Can you think of any reason why that unsupported statement of belief should be taken seriously?
Well, I was serious when I wrote it...
Old 11th October 2017, 08:21 PM   #501
Startz
Critical Thinker

If you witnessed a test, that 'seemed' to indicate telepathy was real (even though it was fakery or a false positive), could belief in the test results produce telepathy?
No.
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:36 PM   #502
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Startz View Post
No.
This. In fact, we even have a data point for that I can reference.
(Note: Thou not for telepathy)
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 11th October 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:47 PM   #503
Loss Leader

I have no idea what that means.

Could someone become telepathic just by believing it? No.

L. Leader
Old 11th October 2017, 09:58 PM   #504
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I imagine most sceptics are aware of the testing that has been done, from Rhine to Ganzfeld, and are profoundly unimpressed because it is profoundly unimpressive. Ganzfeld is the only study that has any scientific credibility whatsover, even that is questionable, and the tiny positive results are barely distinguishable from chance - they certainly would not justify the anecdotal claims made. This is why we are asking what you have seen that you find so compelling, because we have done the research and we are not seeing it.

To even ask such a question indicates a profound lack of understanding of how the world works.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:03 AM   #505
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

And yet you would have had time for this:

Not enough time to focus...

I propose 5 minutes on each card, ten minute break, another card. We'll can do 5 cards per day? Maybe just three, from the 52 card shuffled deck, that should be random enough.

Try to 'send' *giggle* the cards identification to a male in Denton Texas.

I'm central time, so I'll check in here, at this thread before 8. Shall we do this via a separate thread?
Strange how you have all day to do a test that would prove you have magic powers, but when it comes to actually doing it, or backing up your claims, suddenly you're too busy for it.

I would be quite happy to find out what happened to the authors and testers- if you would post them here. Curiously, even though you seem to have plenty of time to reply to several posts on this thread, you again claim you haven't got time to post this research up.
I wonder why this is?
Old 12th October 2017, 04:30 AM   #506
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Startz View Post
No.
Hmmmm, are you sure? If so, how?
Old 12th October 2017, 04:31 AM   #507
King of the Americas
Philosopher

And yet you would have had time for this:

Strange how you have all day to do a test that would prove you have magic powers, but when it comes to actually doing it, or backing up your claims, suddenly you're too busy for it.

I would be quite happy to find out what happened to the authors and testers- if you would post them here. Curiously, even though you seem to have plenty of time to reply to several posts on this thread, you again claim you haven't got time to post this research up.
I wonder why this is?
Time is precious, never waste it.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:41 AM   #508
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

KotA has special powers. He's the only one here who can see his royal clothes.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:07 AM   #509
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
KotA has special powers. He's the only one here who can see his royal clothes.
You've mistaken me for President Trump.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:39 AM   #510
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

To be fair, the username doesn't help.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:51 AM   #511
StackOverflow
Scholar

I wonder why this is?
Because he is 100% trolling?
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:53 AM   #512
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
With replies like this, it would be easy to think so.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:58 AM   #513
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Too bad telepathy doesn't exist, otherwise we could have read his mind.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:32 AM   #514
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
To be fair, the username doesn't help.

Dave
My avatar was bestowed not taken...I think it spawned from the TSHMB.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:14 AM   #515
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Too bad telepathy doesn't exist, otherwise we could have read his mind.
If we could read each other's minds, this board would go awfully quiet.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:29 AM   #516
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Then why are you wasting yours on palpable nonsense like telepathy and Atlantis?
Old 12th October 2017, 07:39 AM   #517
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

And what did you think would happen on a skeptic board. We'd all go 'whooooaaa!' You are psychic? Wow you are cool and special and unique!
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:32 AM   #518
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
I think you have it right. Everything about his posts on this thread scream "troll". He claims to have sources that support his views on telepathy, but refuses to share any of them. He claims there is openly available evidence of people with telepathy, but won't be tested because he doesn't want to know what would happen if there was ever any evidence of telepathy. He has all the time in the world, until he is asked to do anything.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:34 PM   #519
jt512
Graduate Poster

The fact that that's even possible should concern you.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:48 PM   #520
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmmm, are you sure? If so, how?
You misunderstand. We're not here to convince you. You're here to convince us.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal