ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , Oscar Pistorius , South Africa cases

Old 1st October 2017, 03:24 AM   #761
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
She must have been afraid he'd mistake her for a home invader before shooting her multiple times at close range.
The article is nonsense.
Oscar Pistorius had opportunity but negative motive, and the phone conversations after her shooting were enduringly consistent with a tragic accident.
Release the poor devil and stop all this diatribe masquerading as trite humour.
And that includes you dear Atheist.

I wish everyone would grow up and understand that Pistorius is a victim of a fear mongering republic. So is Reeva.

Last edited by Samson; 1st October 2017 at 03:28 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 11:23 AM   #762
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
The article is nonsense.
Oscar Pistorius had opportunity but negative motive, and the phone conversations after her shooting were enduringly consistent with a tragic accident.
Release the poor devil and stop all this diatribe masquerading as trite humour.
And that includes you dear Atheist.

I wish everyone would grow up and understand that Pistorius is a victim of a fear mongering republic. So is Reeva.
He deliberately set out to shoot a human being. Whether Reeve or an intruder, that doesn't matter; he shot and shot to kill. That's what puts him behind bars. This has been explained to you a couple of dozen times already in this thread, and you choose to ignore it every time. It really must get tiring to the regulars in this thread.

(and personally, I think he damned well knew Reeva was in the bathroom stall, and that the whole intruder thing is a poor ruse from him, but that's neither here nor there)

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:30 PM   #763
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The article is nonsense.
Your comment is nonsense. The article is a sensible and relevent background piece on the murderer's pathological jealousy and insecurity.

Quote:
Oscar Pistorius had opportunity but negative motive,
Pistorius was bristling with motive.

Quote:
and the phone conversations after her shooting were enduringly consistent with a tragic accident.
The phone conversations were entirely consistent with a crime of passion murderer attempting to squirm out of trouble once his anger faded enough for him to realize the consequences he'd be facing. There was no accident. There was a brutal murder.

Quote:
Release the poor devil
The poor devil here is Steenkamp, who had the life ripped from her by an entitled douche, while her murderer's fanboys cheer him on.

Quote:
and stop all this diatribe masquerading as trite humour.
Sarcasm is an appropriate response in the face of such pathetic celebrity worship.

Quote:
I wish everyone would grow up and understand that Pistorius is a victim of a fear mongering republic.
Pistorius is the beneficiary of a culture of hero worship perpetrated by an infantile society living their sad lives through famous people.

Quote:
So is Reeva.
Nonsense. Steenkamp is the victim of an indulgent rageaholic and his fawning fanclub.

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 2nd October 2017 at 07:41 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 10:03 PM   #764
Scordatura
Critical Thinker

Uh, looks like brother Carl and the rest of the Pistorius family is pissed about the movie and claim they're gonna sue. I'm not sure if Oscar and/or the Pistorius family actually have legal standing to sue.

Quote:
Oscar Pistorius’ brother Carl said earlier this week the Pistorius family will "take legal action" against the film in which Oscar Pistorius is portrayed by actor Andreas Damn with Toni Garrn playing Reeva Steenkamp who was tragically gunned down.

Oscar Pistorius: Blade Runner Killer will debut on 11 November on Lifetime in the United States, with no date available yet for Lifetime (DStv 131) in South Africa and Africa on MultiChoice's DStv satellite pay-TV platform.
Reeva's family did not endorse the movie.

Quote:
Steenkamp’s parents said on Monday they had been “horrified and upset” to read a report in US media that the film would be told from the perspective of Steenkamp and her mother.

“Any impression that is created that … the movie is endorsed by the Steenkamp family is untrue and incorrect,” they said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eeva-steenkamp

I'm not all that interested in the Lifetime movie after following the trial and appeal in real time so I doubt I'll even bother to watch. I'm more interested to see what becomes of the next appeal on November 3.
Scordatura is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:20 AM   #765
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scordatura View Post
Uh, looks like brother Carl and the rest of the Pistorius family is pissed about the movie and claim they're gonna sue. I'm not sure if Oscar and/or the Pistorius family actually have legal standing to sue.

Reeva's family did not endorse the movie.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eeva-steenkamp

I'm not all that interested in the Lifetime movie after following the trial and appeal in real time so I doubt I'll even bother to watch. I'm more interested to see what becomes of the next appeal on November 3.
All scurrilous tabloid rubbish. The trial judge understood the facts, yes Pistorious killed, but everyone should understand that endemic fear leads to accidents.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:21 AM   #766
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

Originally Posted by Scordatura View Post
I'm not sure if Oscar and/or the Pistorius family actually have legal standing to sue.
I agree, they dont have a leg to stand on, but I'm not sure if the movie will win any oscars.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:50 AM   #767
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

All scurrilous tabloid rubbish. The trial judge understood the facts, yes Pistorious killed, but everyone should understand that endemic fear leads to accidents.
Oh that's all right then. You can kill who you want so long as you are somewhere suffering from endemic fear. Glad we've established that.

Either that, or you could abide by the law of the land. Tough choice.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 08:57 AM   #768
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Oh that's all right then. You can kill who you want so long as you are somewhere suffering from endemic fear. Glad we've established that.

Either that, or you could abide by the law of the land. Tough choice.

Or you could move the USA and become a policeman, thus accomplishing both goals.

(I should probably go into hiding after this completely uncalled for comment on my part.)

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #769
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

You expressed what I was thinking too, in the light of a certain thread elsewhere on the forum. Or indeed multiple threads.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:15 PM   #770
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
You expressed what I was thinking too, in the light of a certain thread elsewhere on the forum. Or indeed multiple threads.
Yes, it seems ironic that brave law enforcement officers get a leave pass to blaze away but a cripple trying to "protect" his gal is thrown to the wolves. This assuming that it was genuine mistaken identity as trial judge Masipa declared.

Last edited by Samson; 11th October 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:39 PM   #771
Rolfe

Please don't co-opt my unrelated comment to support your starstruck hero-worship fantasies.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:07 PM   #772
Samson
Philosopher

He's a gun nut and the world reaps accordingly. But Masipa got it right in my opinion, I thought that from day one.

Last edited by Samson; 11th October 2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:15 AM   #773
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes, it seems ironic that brave law enforcement officers get a leave pass to blaze away but a cripple trying to "protect" his gal is thrown to the wolves. This assuming that it was genuine mistaken identity as trial judge Masipa declared.
It is fascinating that calling someone like Pistorius a cripple is acceptable when trying to elicit sympathy and/or portray him as harmlessly feeble.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:15 AM   #774
Rolfe

Masipa is another star-struck hero-worshipping idiot.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:52 AM   #775
Samson
Philosopher

No Rolfe.
I see you as a best quality contributor, but you were captured in the case early by a false analyst.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:22 AM   #776
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No Rolfe.
I see you as a best quality contributor, but you were captured in the case early by a false analyst.
And you are blinded by Oscar's fame and media managed persona. He is a murderer. A lying, cowardly piece of scum.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:28 AM   #777
3point14
Pi

Please don't co-opt my unrelated comment to support your starstruck hero-worship fantasies.
Indeed - Mine too.

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:38 AM   #778
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

He's a gun nut and the world reaps accordingly. But Masipa got it right in my opinion, I thought that from day one.
No she didn't. She allowed her objectivity to be compromised, leading to errors in law which had to be rectified by the Supreme Court. Even then she let Pistorius off with a very short sentence for murder.

What compromised her objectivity? She too was a cripple, from childhood polio.

She should have recused herself.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:52 AM   #779
Samson
Philosopher

Go back to your Knox friend Thoughtful. Damn fine mathematician and criminoligist. She analysed the postal police in Knox and the phone calls in Pistorius, and got the right answer both times. Brilliant.
Just wrong on culpability on one of the cases.

Last edited by Samson; 12th October 2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:10 PM   #780
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
No she didn't. She allowed her objectivity to be compromised, leading to errors in law which had to be rectified by the Supreme Court. Even then she let Pistorius off with a very short sentence for murder.

What compromised her objectivity? She too was a cripple, from childhood polio.

She should have recused herself.
We don’t refer to people as cripples in the 21st century.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:11 PM   #781
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

... but a cripple trying to "protect" his gal ...
Old 12th October 2017, 04:21 PM   #782
Rolfe

No Rolfe.

A retired professor of law who lives in South Africa for half the year is a "false analyst"? Who knew.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:44 PM   #783
Samson
Philosopher

A retired professor of law who lives in South Africa for half the year is a "false analyst"? Who knew.
I know a retired now dead law professor who visited Arthur Allan Thomas in jail and pronounced him guilty.
Except Len Demmler killed his daughter when she discovered he forged her mother's will.

If this retired professor of law knows something we don't I would be pleased to hear it. I have no dog in the fight, but I agreed with judge Masipa Icerat Thoughtful and MikeG among others.
Far greater damage is done with wrongful convictions than wrongful acquittals in New Zealand, and while Pistorius is hardly a classic miscarriage even if he is telling the truth, Reeva's family deserves the truth whatever it may be.

Last edited by Samson; 12th October 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #784
trustbutverify
Philosopher

You're approaching Delete Your Account territory. Also; I wouldn't call six years for executing his significant other being "thrown to the wolves".

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:10 PM   #785
trustbutverify
Philosopher

If this retired professor of law knows something we don't I would be pleased to hear it. I have no dog in the fight, but I agreed with judge Masipa Icerat Thoughtful and MikeG among others.
That's a joke, right?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th October 2017, 10:57 PM   #786
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I know a retired now dead law professor who visited Arthur Allan Thomas in jail and pronounced him guilty.
Except Len Demmler killed his daughter when she discovered he forged her mother's will.

Far greater damage is done with wrongful convictions than wrongful acquittals in New Zealand, and while Pistorius is hardly a classic miscarriage even if he is telling the truth, Reeva's family deserves the truth whatever it may be.
No, I'm pretty sure you didn't. I accept Pistorius' story, but that story still describes a murder.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 12:10 AM   #787
Samson
Philosopher

That's a joke, right?
Jesus wept, to quote the long lost Charlie Wilkes.
I am accused on different message boards of being all sorts, but I apply only rational thought to arrive at conclusions.
Oscar Pistorius had means and opportunity but no motive. Reeva was bearer of a valentine card that evening, I LOVE YOU.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:16 AM   #788
Samson
Philosopher

You're approaching Delete Your Account territory. Also; I wouldn't call six years for executing his significant other being "thrown to the wolves".
I don't understand your reference to delete your account.
ISF exists for these debates.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:18 AM   #789
Samson
Philosopher

No, I'm pretty sure you didn't. I accept Pistorius' story, but that story still describes a murder.
I suspect murder has a more specific definition. Pistorius killed with just one bullet to the head.
She damn nearly lived.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:25 AM   #790
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I am accused on different message boards of being all sorts, but I apply only rational thought to arrive at conclusions.
I assume that's a joke as well, correct?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 13th October 2017, 12:46 AM   #791
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I suspect murder has a more specific definition. .....
A deliberate decision to kill. That's all. It doesn't require you have knowledge of who your victim is.

Quote:
Under the Common Law, or law made by courts, murder was the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. The term malice aforethought did not necessarily mean that the killer planned or premeditated on the killing, or that he or she felt malice toward the victim. Generally, malice aforethought referred to a level of intent or reck-lessness that separated murder from other killings.......
From Legal Dictionary
Old 13th October 2017, 02:54 AM   #792
Rolfe

I accept Pistorius' story, but that story still describes a murder.

A deliberate decision to kill. That's all. It doesn't require you have knowledge of who your victim is.

From Legal Dictionary

And that is exactly what the retired professor of law living in South Africa says about it.

Actually, he's not so sure that he accepts Pistorius's story on a personal level, but he believes that the story can't be disproved to the level of legal certainty that would be required to convict him of intentionally killing Reeva. He is absolutely clear that on the known facts of the case Pistorius is guilty of murder, since he deliberately shot through that door at somebody he intended to kill.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:07 AM   #793
Samson
Philosopher

And that is exactly what the retired professor of law living in South Africa says about it.

Actually, he's not so sure that he accepts Pistorius's story on a personal level, but he believes that the story can't be disproved to the level of legal certainty that would be required to convict him of intentionally killing Reeva. He is absolutely clear that on the known facts of the case Pistorius is guilty of murder, since he deliberately shot through that door at somebody he intended to kill.
Which is why the debate should be initially constrained to deciding who Pistorius believed was behind the door.
There is spurious discussion about a loud argument that morphs into a possibility of Pistorius screaming in anguish when he finds Reeva absent and thus certainly behind the door.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:13 AM   #794
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Which is why the debate should be initially constrained to deciding who Pistorius believed was behind the door........
This one sentence sums up your entire post history in this thread. The stubborn refusal to concede that it is utterly irrelevant who was behind the door is mind-boggling after so long. It doesn't matter if he thought Reeva was behind the door, or if he thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacrer was behind the door. Shooting through the door to kill was the crime, not shooting to kill Reeva. She is a red herring.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:15 AM   #795
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Exactly.
Old 13th October 2017, 04:06 AM   #796
3point14
Pi

Which is why the debate should be initially constrained to deciding who Pistorius believed was behind the door.

The bit you seem so spectacularly to fail to understand is that it doesn't actually matter who he believed was behind the door when assessing if Oscar is guilty of murder or not.

Last edited by 3point14; 13th October 2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 13th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #797
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't understand your reference to delete your account.
ISF exists for these debates.
It is a suggestion that should you realize the absurdity of that argument you might be inclined to abandon your account in embarrassment. So, carry on I guess.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:11 AM   #798
Rolfe

There is spurious discussion about a loud argument that morphs into a possibility of Pistorius screaming in anguish when he finds Reeva absent and thus certainly behind the door.

As others have said, this is irrelevant nonsense. Even if one accepts that Pistorius thought it was an intruder behind the door, or at least accepts that his assertion to that effect can't be disproved, he is still guilty of murder because he knowingly shot at a person with the intent to kill them, and did in fact kill them.

That's what he was convicted of. He wasn't convicted of knowingly murdering Reeva Steenkamp in the course of an acrimonious domestic dispute because that cannot be proved to be what happened. He was convicted of intentionally murdering whoever it was behind the door. That it happened to be Reeva Steenkamp is not the point, nor is it relevant whether or not he knew it was her or believed it was someone else.

You have been told this so often by so many posters in this thread I am beginning to wonder about your reading comprehension skills.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:29 PM   #799
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread; I've read the whole thing, but it's been a while. IANAL, but the reason that Pistorius is guilty of murder even if he's telling the truth about what he believed, is that he had no legal right to kill the person behind the door when he did, even if that person was an intruder. He wasn't being directly threatened; he could have retreated and kept his gun pointed down the hall toward the bathroom while telling Reeva to call for help.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:53 PM   #800
Rolfe

That is certainly how I understand it. He wasn't being directly threatened. That he came out with a story that he believed something that clearly was not what was happening doesn't confer him the right to kill.

In the threads about the US cops the law seems to be that the cop only has to say "but I was in mortal terror for my life because I believed that person had a gun and was going to shoot me" and it's an automatic free pass. And it doesn't matter if it's proved that the person didn't have a gun and didn't make the slightest threatening move, so long as the cop says he was mortally terrified then it's OK that he killed the person.

This however was in South Africa where apparently it isn't enough just to assert that you were in mortal terror and shot because you believed the other person had a gun and was going to shoot you. There has to be some rational basis for that opinion. However, in this case it was actually Reeva behind the door and she didn't have a gun and it's essentially impossible to see where the rational basis for the opinion that he was in mortal danger came from.

Add to that the fact that he had a perfectly clear line of escape but chose to advance on the closed door rather than making his escape, and he's toast.

Personally I incline to the view that he had had a steaming row with Reeva, she ran away from him and shut herself in the toilet, and he chased after her and shot at her in a red mist of fury which he regretted about three seconds later. But I recognise there are arguments as to why this may not be an unassailable scenario.

He shot through a door, intending to kill the person who was behind the door. That person hadn't made any threatening moves towards him, and if he was apprehensive he had every opportunity to get the hell out. That makes him guilty of murder under SA law.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors