ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags interpol , Israel-Palestine conflict , Palestine incidents , US-Israel relations

Old 29th September 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

Terrorists to join interpol and receive information on terrorism

The fox is guarding the hen house:

"In a stinging diplomatic defeat for Israel, the world’s largest international police organization on Wednesday accepted the “State of Palestine” as a full member.

Israel fiercely objected to the Palestinians joining Interpol, arguing that Ramallah’s alleged support for terrorism could hinder rather than aid Interpol’s efforts. The US administration, too, objected to Ramallah’s membership bid and helped Israel lobby against it."

Source:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-blo...dfbad-54446357
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 05:38 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I figure there's gotta be enough Palsymps in Interpol's European member agencies that the institution's operational security was blown years ago.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.

Last edited by theprestige; 30th September 2017 at 06:18 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I figure there's gotta be end Palsymps in Interpol's European member agencies that the institution's operational security was blown years ago.
I don't fully understand that post, though I imagine "Palsymps" must be Palestinian sympathisers. Can you restate it in another form?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 06:19 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I don't fully understand that post, though I imagine "Palsymps" must be Palestinian sympathisers. Can you restate it in another form?
Damned autocorrect. It should read "enough Palsymps". I've edited the post to correct the mistake. I apologize for the confusion.

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 08:33 AM   #5
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I figure there's gotta be enough Palsymps in Interpol's European member agencies that the institution's operational security was blown years ago.

By the same reasoning, it would also be broken because Iran and Syria, allies of Hamas, are long-time members. That way, we could go on with whatever state is a member of the "axis of evil" du jour.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 09:02 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
By the same reasoning, it would also be broken because Iran and Syria, allies of Hamas, are long-time members. That way, we could go on with whatever state is a member of the "axis of evil" du jour.
Good point.

Giz, I get what you're saying, but it's pretty much a lost cause already.

Old 30th September 2017, 10:09 AM   #7
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Good point.

In fact, you're arguing that Israel's and the USA's objections to Palestine joining Interpol don't make sense.

I would never have imagined you opposing Israeli policies.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Giz
Philosopher

Good point.

It's worth protesting against a massive wave of hate, even when it isn't new.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Arcade22
Illuminator

If an apartheid state can be a member of Interpol i don't see why terrorists should be excluded.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 06:09 AM   #10
Giz
Philosopher

It's sad when anti-Semitism tropes are displayed so ignorantly. The silver lining is that this can be a chance for education:

https://www.adl.org/education/resour...partheid-state
Old 1st October 2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
It's sad when anti-Semitism tropes are displayed so ignorantly. The silver lining is that this can be a chance for education:

Or here
https://www.adalah.org/en/law/view/594
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:05 AM   #12
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Criticism of Israel, whether accurate or not, is not anti-semitism, just like criticism of Uganda is not racism.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 03:04 AM   #13
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Criticism of Israel, whether accurate or not, is not anti-semitism, just like criticism of Uganda is not racism.
Yes it is, according to right wing Zionists. They have no other argument, as may be seen in this thread. I challenge the OP to show us a single antisemitic statement. On the other hand the expression Palsymps looks to be anti Palestinian as well as anti terrorist.

But on reflection I think this thread may be an exercise in trolling, and without any substantive value. Nothing is likely to be learned from it.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:00 PM   #14
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
That depends on the criticism. If you go around spouting that Netenyahu's latest utterance is moving forward the goals of the Elder's of Zion to found a "greater Israel" from the Nile to the Euphrates, that's an anti-Semetic conspiracy theory.

It's also worth pointing out that while specific criticism may not itself be anti-Semetic, it certainly may be motivated by anti-Semitism.
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Yes it is, according to right wing Zionists. They have no other argument, as may be seen in this thread. I challenge the OP to show us a single antisemitic statement. On the other hand the expression Palsymps looks to be anti Palestinian as well as anti terrorist.

But on reflection I think this thread may be an exercise in trolling, and without any substantive value. Nothing is likely to be learned from it.
I seem to remember a whole lot of arguments you walked away from because you couldn't answer them.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:31 PM   #16
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I seem to remember a whole lot of arguments you walked away from because you couldn't answer them.
No you don't. Won't work. Put the troll back in its box.
Old 4th October 2017, 06:24 AM   #17
ddt
Mafia Penguin

That depends on the criticism. If you go around spouting that Netenyahu's latest utterance is moving forward the goals of the Elder's of Zion to found a "greater Israel" from the Nile to the Euphrates, that's an anti-Semetic conspiracy theory.
I read actually similar claims from an inside source - Netanyahu's son.

Old 8th October 2017, 01:32 PM   #18
nota
Critical Thinker

It's also worth pointing out that while specific criticism may not itself be anti-Semetic, it certainly may be motivated by anti-Semitism.
sorry but race has very little to do with a religious/political dispute
esp as arab's are far more Semitic then the euro-Jews who moved in recently
and god is not a real estate agent
that said ''a "greater Israel" from the Nile to the Euphrates,''
would likely be better run then the current mess

anti-Zionist is a far better term for opposition to Netenyahu's latest crime

Last edited by nota; 8th October 2017 at 01:34 PM.
nota is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2017, 04:54 PM   #19
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by nota View Post

1) Learn about Wilhelm Marr, and why "anti-Semitism" doesn't mean hatred of Semitic peoples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism#Etymology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Marr

2) Agreed, but then again nobody was claiming God was.

3) Can't disagree, but it's not an option.

4) Except many of Netenyahu's opponents are also Zionists, suggesting you don't know what the term means.
Old 8th October 2017, 06:39 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
If an apartheid state can be a member of Interpol i don't see why terrorists should be excluded.
What exactly do you imagine Interpol is for? Hint: It's not a reward for good behavior.

Leaving aside the canard itself, which also sinks your post.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:39 AM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I repeat the question I have for all "Anti Zionist":.What do you want to do with the five million Jews now living in Israel after the "Destruction of the Zionist Entity".

I don't like Bibi very much, and think the settlement policy is idiotic, but if you call for the de facto destruction of Israel count me not only out but on the other side.

The problem with "Anti Zionism" is that horse left the stable in 1948.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th October 2017 at 11:40 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 11:42 AM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What exactly do you imagine Interpol is for? Hint: It's not a reward for good behavior.

Leaving aside the canard itself, which also sinks your post.
Yeah, the "Israel is an Aparthied State" is a canard, but is echoed mindlessly by the Hard Left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 11:43 AM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And time for another bunch of protests that there is no such thing as "Left Wing Antisemitism".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post

Fact is, Anti Semetism is quite acceptable to many people wrapped in Marxist Rhetoric.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:35 AM   #25
nota
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Fact is, Anti Semetism is quite acceptable to many people wrapped in Marxist Rhetoric.
BS marx while a jew had nothing to do with zionist ideals

and many on the far right until the resent flip
saw jews as commies, hitler and the KKK sure did

rather then S A as a racist state in the past
a better comparison would be iran post shaw as a religious state
who persecutes any one not in the cult the rulers approve of
nota is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 10:18 AM   #26
Giz
Philosopher

and many on the far right until the recent flip

a better comparison would be iran post shah as a religious state
According to USCIRF 2017 report, Iran’s government engaged in systematic, ongoing and egregious violations of religious freedom, including prolonged detention, torture and executions based primarily or entirely upon the religion of the accused.

What do you think Israel does that is equivalent?
(hint: it doesn't)
Old 12th October 2017, 07:47 PM   #27
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Marxism doesn't believe in intersectionalism, so to take on a Marxist identity you need to put aside other identities, including Judaism.

and many on the far right until the resent flip
Yeah, Jews are hated for being commies until someone wants to hate them for being capitalists.

The reality being that Jews can be communist, capitalist, or neither. Just like non-Jewish people.

a better comparison would be iran post shaw as a religious state
That's Iran. In Israel people of different faiths have religious freedom, which is one reason the Bahá'í World Centre is located there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3...D_World_Centre

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics