ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Affordable Care Act , AHCA , donald trump , health care issues , health insurance issues , obamacare , Trumpcare

Old 5th October 2017, 07:26 PM   #841
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump personally ordered his administration to reject a state's request to stabilize its insurance market.

Quote:
For months, officials in Republican-controlled Iowa had sought federal permission to revitalize their ailing health-insurance marketplace. Then President Trump read about the request in a newspaper story and called the federal director weighing the application.

Trump's message in late August was clear, according to individuals who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations: Tell Iowa no.

Supporters of the Affordable Care Act see the president's opposition even to changes sought by conservative states as part of a broader campaign by his administration to undermine the 2010 health-care law. In addition to trying to cut funding for the ACA, the Trump administration also is hampering state efforts to control premiums. In the case of Iowa, that involved a highly unusual intervention by the president himself.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 05:11 AM   #842
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Is that the same as COBRA? If you were to leave your job your employer would be obligated to extend your current coverage for 18 months as long as you pay the premiums. That would at least give you time to find another employer or other coverage.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-job-loss.html

As I recall from when I used it a couple decades ago, COBRA usually costs a small fortune. When I was laid off from New York State in 2010, they maintained my health insurance for up to 18 months with payments that were the same as what had previously been deducted from my paycheck every month.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 06:40 AM   #843
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
As I recall from when I used it a couple decades ago, COBRA usually costs a small fortune.
COBRA simply continues the same plan at the same price. The only difference is that you pay for all of it instead of your employer paying a portion.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 06:50 AM   #844
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
COBRA simply continues the same plan at the same price. The only difference is that you pay for all of it instead of your employer paying a portion.
That's when you get a good idea of how much your employer provided health insurance REALLY costs.

So for all the people that complain about having to pay way more taxes for a single payer universal health insurance, they aren't considering the savings of their employer not having to foot a large amount of the health insurance bill anymore.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:22 AM   #845
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Like I said, it's been a long time since I used it, and the last time I lost my job my former employer continued to cover their portion of the insurance.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 11:36 AM   #846
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Like I said, it's been a long time since I used it, and the last time I lost my job my former employer continued to cover their portion of the insurance.
That's great for an employer to do that. I have to pay all of my insurance for COBRA, which runs out at the end of the year. The individual marketplace will cost me MORE money for a comparable plan if you can even find it.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:13 PM   #847
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That's great for an employer to do that. I have to pay all of my insurance for COBRA, which runs out at the end of the year. The individual marketplace will cost me MORE money for a comparable plan if you can even find it.

I was in one of those evil, Communist unions that have destroyed America, and the requirement to maintain insurance in the event of layoffs was in our contract. The layoff of 900 state employees happened so the Governor could intimidate the union before the next contract negotiation... I mean... it was done to help balance the state budget.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:21 PM   #848
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Iowa's request was to let them pretty substantially rewrite the rules of ACA for that state alone.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:26 PM   #849
Emily's Cat

As I recall from when I used it a couple decades ago, COBRA usually costs a small fortune. When I was laid off from New York State in 2010, they maintained my health insurance for up to 18 months with payments that were the same as what had previously been deducted from my paycheck every month.
COBRA and Group Conversion are similar, but aren't the same things. COBRA allows you to continue the exact same plan you had with your employer, paying the full fare that your employer pays, with a time limit of 18 months. Group Conversion allows you to continue into a specific plan, on a guaranteed issue, guaranteed renewable basis. You transition your group plan into another plan that you pay for independently. The benefits won't be exactly the same, but it is generally comprehensive coverage. Group Conversion pre-dates ACA, and was intended to provide an option for continued coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.

Both COBRA and Group Conversion tend to be quite expensive. COBRA is expensive because most employer benefits are expensive (employees usually see only a small portion of the cost). Group Conversion is expensive because it's generally adopted only by people with considerable medical need who wouldn't pass underwriting in the Individual market. Group Conversion only still exists because it hasn't been done away with. I may be missing some nuances (it's not a coverage I work with on a regular basis), but it would seem to be unnecessary given ACA's removal of pre-existing condition limitations.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #850
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Iowa's request was to let them pretty substantially rewrite the rules of ACA for that state alone.

Yeah? And ...?

If there are special circumstances which can be addressed beneficially by such a request is it a bad thing to ask?

Doesn't the process have to start somewhere?

We have been told that the ACA is not perfect. Are there no provisions to make accommodations for unusual conditions?

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th October 2017 at 02:48 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 04:24 PM   #851
Garrison
Illuminator

And he may have failed at 'Repeal and Replace' so far but Trump is determined to do his damnedest to inflict needless misery:

Trump rolls back access to free birth control

Because magic sky fairy beliefs should absolutely supersede the health and welfare of millions of women.
Old 6th October 2017, 04:36 PM   #852
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah? And ...?

If there are special circumstances which can be addressed beneficially by such a request is it a bad thing to ask?

Doesn't the process have to start somewhere?

We have been told that the ACA is not perfect. Are there no provisions to make accommodations for unusual conditions?
ACA isn't perfect. It just seems a bit misleading to imply that Trump is busy being a horrible irrational person because he declined to let one state make substantial changes to the rules of ACA for them alone. Many other states have faced large swaths of areas that would have no individual coverage, and have managed to come up with other solutions that don't involve re-inventing a federal law that is supposed to apply to everyone the same.

Seriously, there are plenty, many, a plethora of reasons to imply (or outright say) that Trump is busy being a horrible irrational person. This is just not really one of those reasons
Old 6th October 2017, 04:38 PM   #853
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And he may have failed at 'Repeal and Replace' so far but Trump is determined to do his damnedest to inflict needless misery:

Trump rolls back access to free birth control

Because magic sky fairy beliefs should absolutely supersede the health and welfare of millions of women.
Obama made that concession for employers several years ago. What's different than what Obama already allowed, as for Hobby Lobby?
Old 6th October 2017, 04:54 PM   #854
Garrison
Illuminator

Obama made that concession for employers several years ago. What's different than what Obama already allowed, as for Hobby Lobby?
And like clockwork you leap to Trump's defence, I do hope your on a retainer. Maybe this one time you could own up to this being a bad decision by Trump carried out for the pettiest of reasons?

Last edited by Garrison; 6th October 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 12:06 PM   #855
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And like clockwork you leap to Trump's defence, I do hope your on a retainer. Maybe this one time you could own up to this being a bad decision by Trump carried out for the pettiest of reasons?
I'll happily acknowledge Trump's bad decision, if someone would kindly explain what decision he made?
Old 9th October 2017, 12:19 PM   #856
Dread Pirate Roberts
New Blood

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/o...raception.html

Quote:
In 2014, the Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 that closely held for-profit companies could also deny contraceptive coverage to employees on religious grounds, in a case brought by Hobby Lobby, the arts and crafts retailer.

The new Trump rules go much further than the Hobby Lobby ruling by effectively allowing any business, university or other organization to opt out, without having to notify the government that it is doing so. That puts hundreds of thousands of women at risk of losing benefits. Under the system created by the Obama administration, when an employer chose not to pay for birth control, employees were provided coverage directly by insurance companies at no cost to the beneficiary. That system will now become optional for employers.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 01:15 PM   #857
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Thank you.

It's a sucky decision. Most oral contraceptives are quite inexpensive, I don't think this is necessarily a huge barrer... but when you combine it with the rather systematic destruction of planned parenthood by the religious right over the past several years, it's becoming a bit idiotic. At some point, we women might have to go all Lysistrata on this country. No nookie until you knock off trying to own our reproduction.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 9th October 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 02:18 PM   #858
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Thank you.

It's a sucky decision. Most oral contraceptives are quite inexpensive, I don't think this is necessarily a huge barrer... but when you combine it with the rather systematic destruction of planned parenthood by the religious right over the past several years, it's becoming a bit idiotic. At some point, we women might have to go all Lysistrata on this country. No nookie until you knock off trying to own our reproduction.
Don't you know your bodily autonomy ends where white male opinions start?
Old 9th October 2017, 03:09 PM   #859
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Don't you know your bodily autonomy ends where white male opinions start?
You'd think by my age I would've caught on... but somehow I just keep thinking that my body belongs to me. Must be because I'm a girl, and thinking is hard *tee-hee*
Old 9th October 2017, 03:19 PM   #860
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

You'd think by my age I would've caught on... but somehow I just keep thinking that my body belongs to me. Must be because I'm a girl, and thinking is hard *tee-hee*
Also thinking too much will give you wrinkles. Best to leave that to the men while you make up sandwiches.
Old 9th October 2017, 03:42 PM   #861
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Also thinking too much will give you wrinkles. Best to leave that to the men while you make up sandwiches.
Oh tnoes! Wrinkles are the worstest! My man won't find me attractive if I have wrinkles, then I'll be all alone! Oh whatever shall I do! I suppose I'll just have to find a man to do all my thinking for me!
Old 12th October 2017, 11:33 AM   #862
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Executive order this morning, since he can't get anything through congress.

Quote:
The order is aimed at encouraging the rise of a raft of cheap, loosely regulated health insurance plans that don't have to comply with certain Obamacare consumer protections and benefit rules. They'd attract younger and healthier people — leaving older and sicker ones in the Obamacare markets facing higher and higher costs.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:57 AM   #863
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Remember when Executive Orders bypassing Congress were a dictatorial overstepping of authority?
Five will get you ten that the GOP won't remember.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #864
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Remember when Executive Orders bypassing Congress were a dictatorial overstepping of authority?.
Or when it was wrong to bring about health care changes without extensive consultations (and even after hours of meetings in congress, still complain that 'its not enough')

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:25 PM   #865
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
That's when you get a good idea of how much your employer provided health insurance REALLY costs.

So for all the people that complain about having to pay way more taxes for a single payer universal health insurance, they aren't considering the savings of their employer not having to foot a large amount of the health insurance bill anymore.
Especially when you look at the data in my signature.

The UK spends a smaller proportion of its GDP on public healthcare than the US and manages to provide universal coverage.

You are *already* paying more in taxes for your healthcare than me
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 04:16 PM   #866
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Especially when you look at the data in my signature.

The UK spends a smaller proportion of its GDP on public healthcare than the US and manages to provide universal coverage.

You are *already* paying more in taxes for your healthcare than me

Things that work just fine in the rest of the civilized world won't work in the US because of some vague handwaved reason that usually includes the word "population" somewhere.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #867
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Things that work just fine in the rest of the civilized world won't work in the US because of some vague handwaved reason that usually includes the word "population freedom" somewhere.
FTFY. And yes, Trump used that word in his announcement today.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:35 PM   #868
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Things that work just fine in the rest of the civilized world won't work in the US because of some vague handwaved reason that usually includes the word "population" somewhere.
Also "heritage", and in attack mode "socialism".

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:45 PM   #869
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And now potentially even bigger news than the executive order:

Trump will scrap critical Obamacare subsidy

Quote:
President Donald Trump will cut off subsidy payments to insurers selling Obamacare coverage in its most aggressive move yet to undermine the health law, the White House announced Thursday night.

“Based on guidance from the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services has concluded that there is no appropriation for cost-sharing reduction payments to insurance companies under Obamacare,” Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement emailed at 10:47 p.m. Thursday.
So it's now official I take it.

Quote:
The subsidies, worth an estimated $7 billion this year and paid out in monthly installments, may stop almost immediately. POLITICO reported the development earlier Thursday, citing several sources.

The announcement – coming hours after Trump signed an executive order calling for new regulations to encourage cheap, loosely regulated health plans – delivered a double whammy to Obamacare after months of failed GOP efforts to repeal the law. With open enrollment for the 2018 plan year set to launch in two weeks, the moves seem aimed at dismantling the law through executive actions.

“Trump said Obamacare would implode. He did not say he would light the match,” said state Rep. Garnet Coleman, a Houston Democrat.
So it is now officially Trumpcare from here forward as of these executive decisions. Ending the subsidy for insurance companies is huge.

Is he still going to try to claim that this is just Obamacare imploding on its own?
Old 12th October 2017, 09:00 PM   #870
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

So it is now officially Trumpcare from here forward as of these executive decisions. Ending the subsidy for insurance companies is huge.

Is he still going to try to claim that this is just Obamacare imploding on its own?
If it is illegal payments then it is Obamacare imploding on its own. You can't expect new management to carry on an illegal scheme.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 10:27 PM   #871
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If it is illegal payments then it is Obamacare imploding on its own. You can't expect new management to carry on an illegal scheme.
What is illegal about it?
Old 12th October 2017, 10:44 PM   #872
Cain
Straussian

Good. Now let's hope the Children's Health Insurance Program doesn't get renewed. Then cut Medicaid and Medicare.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 12:53 AM   #873
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This assumes that the Trump Administration isn't lying or overreaching when it declares that the scheme is illegal. Remember that President Trump in particular has been shown to lie when he believes that it is in his interest to do so.

You may claim that it's OK. If The President and his administration are lying or overreaching then this will be resolved, in due course, through the courts. The trouble is that irreparable damage may already have been done by this stage.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 12:55 AM   #874
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Good. Now let's hope the Children's Health Insurance Program doesn't get renewed. Then cut Medicaid and Medicare.
Gotta pay for those tax cuts for billionaires somehow.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 01:10 AM   #875
KDLarsen
Illuminator

House republicans filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration, arguring that congress needed to approve payment of subsidies in a separate bill, before they could be paid out.

I guess Trump gave the nod to the Justice department that they should stop defending the case (it's been stayed since last year, presumably since the republicans were banking on a quick repeal of ACA).
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 03:17 AM   #876
Stacko
Philosopher

Ending the subsidy is a really dumb move. Premiums increase for people that don't qualify for subsidies (middle class) and the deficit will increase.

https://www.cbpp.org/blog/cbo-severe...aring-payments

This has to be motivated by pure spite and indifference.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #877
Tero
Graduate Poster

It’s kind of stupid poker he is playing, thinking Democrats will play along and come up with Trumpcare. Every Trump or Republican plan will have tax deduction in place of subsidies. The American way!

But the game is up. Dems will not play, as they know Trump is a one term president.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...43743?lo=ap_a1
Old 13th October 2017, 05:18 AM   #878
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The judge already ruled it was illegal.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:02 AM   #879
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And isn't that what they want?
Old 13th October 2017, 06:14 AM   #880
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The judge already ruled it was illegal.
A judge has ruled but AFAIK there are still appeals outstanding.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics