ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer

Closed Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 04:47 AM   #3001
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Do we get some evolved knowledge?

Since this is a thread about magic I’d say you should consult with Hermione Granger, assuming she can avoid punching you in frustration.

On second thought, you should talk to Luna Lovegood. She’ll get just as frustrated with you but is far less likely to resort to violence. Harry Potter might be helpful too, but he'd likely be gritting his teeth in frustration as he tries to break away so he can dart off on whatever secret mission to save the world you're distracting him from.

I'd avoid Granny Weatherwax if I were you. I'm not sure she could avoid the temptation to turn you into a toad.

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I expect them to have more coherence and purpose

The coherence of the magic reflects the nature of the mind composing it.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 12th October 2017 at 05:00 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 04:48 AM   #3002
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Question

It can also depend on your perception and dynamic understanding capability. It is very difficult to correct it.

Quote:
There are two types of perception; the way you see yourself and your world and the way others see you and their world. The only perception you have control over is your own. It is just not possible to control the perception of others.
For example, consider the temperature of a room. You perceive a room as being comfortable while someone else thinks it’s too cold. No amount of discussion or arguing will resolve the difference in perception.
http://www.presspublications.com/opi...u-in-many-ways

But not everything is a matter of perception. If you think that the temperature is 25 degrees, and someone else thinks it is 15 degrees, then we can determine who is correct by measuring the temperature. If you think homoeopathy works and someone else thinks it doesn't, you can find out who is correct by looking at the results of RCTs.

You are entitled to your own perceptions, but not to your own facts.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:21 AM   #3003
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Then, why yoú are interacting with nothing? Are you not free to interact here? Yes, if you will X with zero, you will get zero. Try to make it better 10 or atleast 1.
At least you responded to what I actually wrote. Progress of a sort.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:12 AM   #3004
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
But not everything is a matter of perception. If you think that the temperature is 25 degrees, and someone else thinks it is 15 degrees, then we can determine who is correct by measuring the temperature.
Irrelavants ignored.

Again mistake. That was not the matter of temperature but was the matter of how one feel it.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #3005
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Do we get some evolved knowledge?
Do we get some evolved gibberish?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:36 AM   #3006
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

It kept us existed since somewhat infinite time.
Quoted for gibberish
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:38 AM   #3007
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Irrelavants ignored.

Again mistake. That was not the matter of temperature but was the matter of how one feel it.
Not really, temperature is a measured event, perception of temperature is an internal event.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:49 AM   #3008
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Since this is a thread about magic I’d say you should consult with Hermione Granger, assuming she can avoid punching you in frustration.

On second thought, you should talk to Luna Lovegood. She’ll get just as frustrated with you but is far less likely to resort to violence. Harry Potter might be helpful too, but he'd likely be gritting his teeth in frustration as he tries to break away so he can dart off on whatever secret mission to save the world you're distracting him from.

I'd avoid Granny Weatherwax if I were you. I'm not sure she could avoid the temptation to turn you into a toad.

The coherence of the magic reflects the nature of the mind composing it.
Slight correction, Granny Weatherwax would probably make you think she's turned you into a toad!
Old 12th October 2017, 08:27 PM   #3009
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Not really, temperature is a measured event, perception of temperature is an internal event.
Yes but that quote was about perception at same temperature.

"You perceive a room as being comfortable while someone else thinks it’s too cold."
Old 12th October 2017, 08:59 PM   #3010
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

"You perceive a room as being comfortable while someone else thinks it’s too cold."
That irrelevant quote is about 2 people perceiving a room as having different temperatures.
The measured temperature of the room is a measured event, e.g. on a thermometer.
That these people perceive different temperatures makes perception of temperature an internal event. It is inside their heads, not a reading on a thermometer.

That homeopathy has no foundation in science is scientific fact, not your derail into sensory perception. The only relevance might be the "perception" of believers in what is close to witchcraft and its relationship to other unfounded beliefs such as ghosts or UFOs.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th October 2017 at 09:06 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 02:54 AM   #3011
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Do you realize you just conceded that homeopathy exists entirely in the minds of the people practicing it and that I has no objective scientific basis?

Was it your intention to admit that homeopathy operates entirely on the placebo effect?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:41 AM   #3012
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
.... I'd still like to know why you keep coming back though. You're obviously never going to get anyone here to accept your crackpot ideas, and you're obviously never going to pay any attention at all to their patient explanations as to why they won't accept them.

Just curious.
There might be a clinical term for the state of mind where the more firmly one's ideas get rejected the more "validated" and deserving of "advancement" they become. (Sorry for my own lack of preciseness; perhaps in discussions like those involving Kumar "precise" is a null term.)
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #3013
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

To quote MoJo

"But not everything is a matter of perception"
Old 13th October 2017, 12:24 PM   #3014
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Where routine means "well established facts supported by mountains of evidence" and dynamic means "crackpot ideas contradicted by mountains of evidence". Yes, we know.

I'd still like to know why you keep coming back though. You're obviously never going to get anyone here to accept your crackpot ideas, and you're obviously never going to pay any attention at all to their patient explanations as to why they won't accept them.

Just curious.

Vested interest.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 03:29 PM   #3015
fagin
Illuminator

I'll make it easy.

Honestly, taken as a precaution, overestimate or for convinience for some minor illnesses but It appears odd to me that I should attribute it to my life saving, as of yet. Others survived even without these in somewhat similar conditions. We and other species have still existed without these since long.

Later when my daughter acquired regular MD degree stopped me for taking these for many many times and still I got cured. Yes antibiotics is a great introduction and can be life saver so I don't recommed anyone not to opt these even with possible side affects under competent doctor care.
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Did she 'acquire' it on the internet?
No I mentioned regular MD degree(in homeopathy) in medical college. Don't be blind and disrespect her.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:32 PM   #3016
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

To quote MoJo

"But not everything is a matter of perception"
Yes should be but here is.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:33 PM   #3017
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

What is also amazing is someone who ignores what others say and just repeats themselves
Because that would had not ultimate.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:07 PM   #3018
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

TTTT ignored.......
I've asked you this before. What does this mean?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:07 PM   #3019
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I am bit confued. How still posting in this topic is going on?
Because you are posting in this thread and people are replying to you (as now :eek!).
Mainly because anyone in the forum is free to post in this thread.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 04:59 PM   #3020
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Do not comment on that. That is beyond your understanding.
It is entirely beyond my understanding why some people persist in believing utter balderdash and why some who do so persist in promoting it. However, I do caution you to be a little careful about how you express certain ideas, as the line between attacking ideas and attacking persons is a rather fine one, and that comment is pushing your luck.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:46 PM   #3021
Peregrinus
Muse

Kumar,

Nonsense repeated remains nonsense. It's that simple. Numerous attempts have been offered in numerous ways to tell you that repeated nonsense is still nonsense. And perhaps you've heard about the dead horse*; continual beating will not bring it to life.

* A figurative trope here representing your obsessively held false notions.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:43 PM   #3022
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It is entirely beyond my understanding why some people persist in believing utter balderdash and why some who do so persist in promoting it. However, I do caution you to be a little careful about how you express certain ideas, as the line between attacking ideas and attacking persons is a rather fine one, and that comment is pushing your luck.
That was for some other matter you taken otherwise.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:41 AM   #3023
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

In Anita Moorjani case as indicated on following link, few points are worth basing to understand possible mechanism behind getting SR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Moorjani

1. Advanced stage of Cancer
"after suffering cancer for almost four years"

2. Organs started shutting down
"Anita's organs started shutting down and she slipped into a deep coma."

3.Near to death:
"Near Death Experience (NDE)."

4. Quick Remission
"Upon returning from her NDE, her body healed from the end-stage lymphoma within a matter of days and within months was completely cancer free."

5. Lymphoma case. Both type treatments failed:
"Moorjani was diagnosed with lymphoma after finding a lump on her neck. Initially, Moorjani rejected conventional medicine"but to no avail. She subsequently underwent several conventional cancer treatments. However, by that point, despite these treatments, her doctors informed her and her family that it was "too late" to save her life."

Cancer Metastasis whole body
"The lymphoma had spread throughout her body and had metastasized"

Multiple Organs & system failure
Her body would no longer absorb nourishment, her lungs were perpetually filled with fluid that needed to be drained regularly, and she was connected to piped oxygen. On 2 February 2006, she fell into a deep coma. The doctors told her family that her body had gone into organ failure and she was in her final hours of life.[8]"

Illusions & death like experiance & hopelessness
"told her family that during her NDE, she had been greeted by her deceased father and deceased best friend, who had told her that it was not her time to die"Moorjani said she had a strong reluctance to return to her suffering and dying physical body"

Quick and complete Remission

"Subsequent to coming out of her coma, Moorjani experienced a spontaneous healing. Her tumors shrunk by about 70% within four days, and within five weeks, she was cancer-free and released from hospital, although she had to spend a few months in physiotherapy to regain her strength and the use of all her muscles and limbs."

The above are very important main points of this remission(probably may also be similar for other similar cases?). Hence while checking true reasoning to possible Spontaneous remission from cancer, the above points need to be carefully accounted.

Good luck.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:46 AM   #3024
fagin
Illuminator

Deja vu?

Again and again.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:48 AM   #3025
fagin
Illuminator

Save your breath Kumar
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...light=Moorjani
Old 16th October 2017, 02:15 AM   #3026
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

In Anita Moorjani case as indicated on following link, few points are worth basing to understand possible mechanism behind getting SR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Moorjani

1. Advanced stage of Cancer
"after suffering cancer for almost four years"

2. Organs started shutting down
"Anita's organs started shutting down and she slipped into a deep coma."

3.Near to death:
"Near Death Experience (NDE)."

4. Quick Remission
"Upon returning from her NDE, her body healed from the end-stage lymphoma within a matter of days and within months was completely cancer free."

5. Lymphoma case. Both type treatments failed:
"Moorjani was diagnosed with lymphoma after finding a lump on her neck. Initially, Moorjani rejected conventional medicine"but to no avail. She subsequently underwent several conventional cancer treatments. However, by that point, despite these treatments, her doctors informed her and her family that it was "too late" to save her life."

Cancer Metastasis whole body
"The lymphoma had spread throughout her body and had metastasized"

Multiple Organs & system failure
Her body would no longer absorb nourishment, her lungs were perpetually filled with fluid that needed to be drained regularly, and she was connected to piped oxygen. On 2 February 2006, she fell into a deep coma. The doctors told her family that her body had gone into organ failure and she was in her final hours of life.[8]"

Illusions & death like experiance & hopelessness
"told her family that during her NDE, she had been greeted by her deceased father and deceased best friend, who had told her that it was not her time to die"Moorjani said she had a strong reluctance to return to her suffering and dying physical body"

Quick and complete Remission

"Subsequent to coming out of her coma, Moorjani experienced a spontaneous healing. Her tumors shrunk by about 70% within four days, and within five weeks, she was cancer-free and released from hospital, although she had to spend a few months in physiotherapy to regain her strength and the use of all her muscles and limbs."

The above are very important main points of this remission(probably may also be similar for other similar cases?). Hence while checking true reasoning to possible Spontaneous remission from cancer, the above points need to be carefully accounted.

Good luck.

Apart from her own descriptions and those from various believer types, are there any medical reports? I don't see any in the Wiki source list.

In other words, did she actually suffer from terminal cancer?

While we look for that, assuming the story is real, what exactly are you arguing, Kumar?

That the body possesses a surprising ability to heal? We already know that.

That homeopathy works? I see no logical connection to that.

Hans
Old 16th October 2017, 02:16 AM   #3027
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Deja vu?

Again and again.
Haven't I seen you somewhere before?
Old 16th October 2017, 02:43 AM   #3028
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Apart from her own descriptions and those from various believer types, are there any medical reports? I don't see any in the Wiki source list.

In other words, did she actually suffer from terminal cancer?

While we look for that, assuming the story is real, what exactly are you arguing, Kumar?
That we can check. However SR for cancer is real.

Quote:
That the body possesses a surprising ability to heal? We already know that.
We need to know it, specific to this type of cases. It is not routine.

Quote:
That homeopathy works? I see no logical connection to that.

Hans
Yes, no relevance to it. I am getting clues about changed physiological regulstion by immune system on ultimate..
Old 16th October 2017, 02:57 AM   #3029
fagin
Illuminator

That we can check. ...
Off you go then and check.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #3030
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
AH, so you don't only demand to argue from your own facts, you also want to use your own language? Very dynamical, indeed.

Kumar, this is an international forum. Maybe your language is fine among your own people (although I do wonder how you manage without verbs), but for international communication, you need to use an international language.

And it is your duty to learn that language. It is not the duty of everybody else to learn yours. My native language is also fine at home, but it would only be understood by a few people here.

Hans
Btw, it it there that : regional English at different places is different & are many but international English is different and just is one?
Old 16th October 2017, 04:53 AM   #3031
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

3I have given changes happened in indicated SR case of Anita Moorjani. If it appears to be doubtful, I shall be thankful, if anyone can post such happening in any other trusted case.
I would also like to mention here general symptoms of cancer which may either be progression of immune response related or cancer related.
Quote:
What are some general signs and symptoms

*Unexplained weight loss

Most people with cancer will lose weight at some point. When you lose weight for no known reason, it’s called an unexplained weight loss.

*Fever

Fever is very common with cancer,

Fatigue

Fatigue is extreme tiredness that doesn’t get better...

Pain

Pain may be an early symptom with some cancers like bone cancers or .

Skin changes

Along with skin cancers, some other cancers can cause..

Darker looking skin (hyperpigmentation)
Yellowish skin and eyes (jaundice)
Reddened skin (erythema)
Itching (pruritis)
Excessive hair growth
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...of-cancer.html
Probably * marked are more relsted to Immune response related, other cancer related.?

Last edited by Kumar; 16th October 2017 at 05:24 AM.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:33 AM   #3032
fagin
Illuminator

3I have given changes happened in indicated SR case of Anita Moorjani. If it appears to be doubtful, I shall be thankful, if anyone can post such happening in any other trusted case.
I would also like to mention here general symptoms of cancer which may either be progression of immune response related or cancer related.

Probably * marked are more relsted to Immune response related, other cancer related.?
No Kumar.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:20 AM   #3033
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Good luck.

Needless fringe reset snipped.

Isn’t it interesting how so many of these “spontaneous” remissions include conventional therapies?
Old 16th October 2017, 08:26 PM   #3034
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post

Isn’t it interesting how so many of these “spontaneous” remissions include conventional therapies?
No but placebo i.e natural healing.
Old 16th October 2017, 11:34 PM   #3035
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post

They should and they will be but when suítable time, conditions ànd attitude will çome. Pray for it. No one know, who may be a tool to surpass all knowledges and all values.Since I have bit different feelings for these fellows, probably I may be that tool.
Old 17th October 2017, 08:48 AM   #3036
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod Warning
  1. This thread has been closed in order to create a continuation thread. As always, the split was arbitrary, and you may freely copy, quote, and refer to posts in this thread in the new thread.
  2. A long derail on what is, or is not, English (among other topics) has been removed. Please try to stay to the topic.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm

Last edited by kmortis; 17th October 2017 at 08:52 AM.
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology