ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , Oscar Pistorius , South Africa cases

Old 13th December 2015, 12:36 AM   #321
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
People's reaction to this case is a litmus test...........
Indeed. Everyone else in the recent part of the thread has dealt with the case logically and unemotionally, discussing the facts and the legality. You are the only one whose sole basis for their position is emotion.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 02:05 AM   #322
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
No, that's burglars. Home invasion is quite a different scenario, as the residents are home at the time. I bet it's rare to find a home invader stoping to use the loo, unless he's tied everyone up and it is an extended hostage situation, like the one in DC recently.
I was drawing an imperfect parallel. One man one woman in a house. The woman is killed by the man, and the bathroom becomes a main feature of the criminal case.

In the case of Reeva, all evidence points to a normal nocturnal visit, and her not being pursued there.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 06:17 AM   #323
whoanellie
Critical Thinker

I was drawing an imperfect parallel. One man one woman in a house. The woman is killed by the man, and the bathroom becomes a main feature of the criminal case.

In the case of Reeva, all evidence points to a normal nocturnal visit, and her not being pursued there.
What specific evidence points to a normal nocturnal visit?

Do you think it was part of her normal routine to lock the door?
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 07:11 AM   #324
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
What specific evidence points to a normal nocturnal visit?

Do you think it was part of her normal routine to lock the door?
Samson attaches great importance to her empty bladder. But for all we know she'd been to the toilet just before OP went berserk and she sought refuge back there and locked the door to keep him out.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 07:11 AM   #325
Desert Fox
Philosopher

In general with regards to self defense, there needs to be some legitimate reason why the defendant should actually be fearing for his life. Maybe the person in the bathroom is armed with a bazooka but that is not reasonable.

There are cases in the US where defendants are tried for murder when police officers suddenly barge through somebody's door. I am sympathetic to the defendant in such cases because of the suddenness and why I hate "No Knock" warrants.
Old 13th December 2015, 08:29 AM   #326
newyorkguy
Philosopher

It's not quite true that Steenkamp's empty bladder points to a normal nocturnal visit. It's actually quite inconclusive as it was possible she could have relieved herself up to an hour before being shot. That would indicate she had no reason to lock herself in the water closet other than to get away from Pistorius.
Quote:
Prof Gert Saayman, who performed the post mortem on Reeva Steenkamp, said to questioning from prosecutor Gerrie Nel that Steenkamp’s bladder would have been empty had she gone to the toilet between 30 minutes to an hour before her death. News link
But I get it. Samson has a gut feeling that it was an accidental shooting; facts are not going to sway him away from that. Other people have a gut feeling Pistorius meant to shoot her. The facts, such as they are, can be interpreted either way. I think the most logical explanation is they quarreled and Pistorius shot her in a fit of rage. It happens quite often, there's nothing "unusual" about it. But I'm not locked into that theory. Pistorius' surprising history with handguns suggests someone who might've been eager to finally get a chance to use a handgun against a 'bad guy.' Might've been so eager to finally get the chance to shoot some lowlife that the desire overwhelmed his common sense. That happens too.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 09:59 AM   #327
whoanellie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Samson attaches great importance to her empty bladder. But for all we know she'd been to the toilet just before OP went berserk and she sought refuge back there and locked the door to keep him out.
Agreed. 1 empty bladder does not constitute all of the evidence...
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 10:27 AM   #328
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

What evidence?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 11:04 AM   #329
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I think the most logical explanation is they quarreled and Pistorius shot her in a fit of rage. It happens quite often, there's nothing "unusual" about it. But I'm not locked into that theory. Pistorius' surprising history with handguns suggests someone who might've been eager to finally get a chance to use a handgun against a 'bad guy.' Might've been so eager to finally get the chance to shoot some lowlife that the desire overwhelmed his common sense. That happens too.
This is almost exactly what my thoughts are.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:18 PM   #330
3point14
Pi

His own narrative makes sense. That is what I see. I don't care what happens to him, but far more for the deluded masses that can't see the likely truth, and will never analyse a crime scene and aftermath according to logic.

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself, don't you?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 12:19 PM   #331
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Haven't you argued that OP can't have knowingly killed Reeva because he is rich?
Previously he has argued that there's no way OP killed Reva because it wouldn't be logical.

Ironic, really.

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 12:22 PM   #332
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Previously he has argued that there's no way OP killed Reva because it wouldn't be logical.

Ironic, really.
Well, he does have a point: it is impossible to murder someone who has an empty bladder...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 12:36 PM   #333
Samson
Philosopher

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself, don't you?
I have a high opinion of the judge who sat through the trial and saw through the idiotic suggestions of the prosecution.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 12:45 PM   #334
3point14
Pi

I have a high opinion of the judge who sat through the trial and saw through the idiotic suggestions of the prosecution.
And a high opinion of yourself, as opposed to

the deluded masses that can't see the likely truth, and will never analyse a crime scene and aftermath according to logic.
You clearly consider yourself superior to "the deluded masses".

Old 17th December 2015, 12:53 PM   #335
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

What "idiotic suggestions"? That even in the best case the story Pistorius himself told meant he was guilty of murder? The idiotic suggestion that there was an argument prior to the shooting? The idiotic suggestion that he fired 4 rounds through the only door into a 4 x 4 foot enclosure? The idiotic suggestion that a person hiding behind a locked door was not an immediate threat to an armed man with a clear line of retreat?

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 01:18 PM   #336
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
What "idiotic suggestions"? That even in the best case the story Pistorius himself told meant he was guilty of murder? The idiotic suggestion that there was an argument prior to the shooting? The idiotic suggestion that he fired 4 rounds through the only door into a 4 x 4 foot enclosure? The idiotic suggestion that a person hiding behind a locked door was not an immediate threat to an armed man with a clear line of retreat?
The idiotic suggestion OP would deliberately kill his girl friend.
Old 17th December 2015, 01:22 PM   #337
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I believe he did, but that wasn't the finding of the court. Your understanding of the case seems very poor.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 01:26 PM   #338
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

How is that idiotic? You are not suggesting, are you, that it is unheard of for men to deliberately hurt or kill their wives or girlfriends? Or that it is unheard of for wealthy or notable men to do so? Or for athletes to do so? Perhaps you are suggesting that it is uncommon for men and women to have arguments, and, even, to lose their tempers?

Old 17th December 2015, 01:57 PM   #339
Samson
Philosopher

How is that idiotic? You are not suggesting, are you, that it is unheard of for men to deliberately hurt or kill their wives or girlfriends? Or that it is unheard of for wealthy or notable men to do so? Or for athletes to do so? Perhaps you are suggesting that it is uncommon for men and women to have arguments, and, even, to lose their tempers?
I happen to agree with the judge and what she found, but I know I am in the minority, and my opinion is irrelevant anyway. It is probably true there is no proof either way, but if we had all the trial transcripts and original testimony a deduction could follow.
Old 17th December 2015, 02:14 PM   #340
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I happen to agree with the judge and what she found, but I know I am in the minority, and my opinion is irrelevant anyway. It is probably true there is no proof either way, but if we had all the trial transcripts and original testimony a deduction could follow.
I understand that you agree with the judge. What I am interested in is your characterization of the prosecutions assertions as "idiotic". How is it "idiotic" to suggest that he deliberately killed her?

Old 17th December 2015, 02:41 PM   #341
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Great importance was placed on the fact Steenkamp's bladder was empty at the time she was shot. The argument seemed to be, her bladder would not have been empty unless she had urinated within moments of being shot. That, however, is not what Prof Gert Saayman, who performed the post mortem on Reeva Steenkamp, testified to. At the trial Saayman testified "that Steenkamp’s bladder would have been empty had she gone to the toilet between 30 minutes to an hour before her death." We're left with a possible scenario where Steenkamp had used the water closet well before the shooting, strongly suggesting she had gone back and locked herself in to get away from Pistorius.

Now the argument is, the trial judge considered the prosecution's contention it was premeditated, deliberate murder to be idiotic. But the trial judge never said anything remotely like that.
Quote:
[Judge Thokozile Masipa ruled] there was a reasonable possibility that Pistorius really did think Steenkamp was an intruder when he fired four shots through a locked bathroom door the night he killed her.
A reasonable possibility doesn't mean the alternate theory is idiotic. In fact, accepting Pistorius' scenario as "a reasonable possibility" is the bare minimum. It is no ringing endorsement of Oscar Pistorius. Combined with the fact Masipa also characterized Pistorius as an unreliable witness, it seems pretty clear to me that the prosecution was one key piece of evidence away from convincing Masipa that this was a deliberate murder.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 03:04 PM   #342
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Great importance was placed on the fact Steenkamp's bladder was empty at the time she was shot.
Only by one person.
Old 17th December 2015, 03:14 PM   #343
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

You clearly consider yourself superior to "the deluded masses".
Yes, but don't we all?!
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 03:43 PM   #344
Samson
Philosopher

Great importance was placed on the fact Steenkamp's bladder was empty at the time she was shot. The argument seemed to be, her bladder would not have been empty unless she had urinated within moments of being shot. That, however, is not what Prof Gert Saayman, who performed the post mortem on Reeva Steenkamp, testified to. At the trial Saayman testified "that Steenkamp’s bladder would have been empty had she gone to the toilet between 30 minutes to an hour before her death." We're left with a possible scenario where Steenkamp had used the water closet well before the shooting, strongly suggesting she had gone back and locked herself in to get away from Pistorius.

Now the argument is, the trial judge considered the prosecution's contention it was premeditated, deliberate murder to be idiotic. But the trial judge never said anything remotely like that.

A reasonable possibility doesn't mean the alternate theory is idiotic. In fact, accepting Pistorius' scenario as "a reasonable possibility" is the bare minimum. It is no ringing endorsement of Oscar Pistorius. Combined with the fact Masipa also characterized Pistorius as an unreliable witness, it seems pretty clear to me that the prosecution was one key piece of evidence away from convincing Masipa that this was a deliberate murder.
I appreciate your attention to detail.
I have a question as a corollary. Why did Masipa, as a fierce defender of women's rights to be unmolested, deliver a sentence designed to allow very early release, if she thought there was more than a remote chance of intent to kill Reeva? If she had little belief in his story, she was entitled to put him away for a long time, to be on the safe side.
Old 17th December 2015, 04:13 PM   #345
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I appreciate your attention to detail.
I have a question as a corollary. Why did Masipa, as a fierce defender of women's rights to be unmolested, deliver a sentence designed to allow very early release, if she thought there was more than a remote chance of intent to kill Reeva? If she had little belief in his story, she was entitled to put him away for a long time, to be on the safe side.
Error in judgement? It happens, you know.

Old 17th December 2015, 05:43 PM   #346
Samson
Philosopher

Error in judgement? It happens, you know.
Maybe, but her history suggests she was pretty sure of her thinking when giving him an effective year sentence. After all, if he was known to have deliberately killed her no one would argue any mitigation.
Old 17th December 2015, 05:51 PM   #347
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Maybe, but her history suggests she was pretty sure of her thinking when giving him an effective year sentence. After all, if he was known to have deliberately killed her no one would argue any mitigation.
No maybe about it. It was by definition an error in judgement.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th December 2015, 06:19 PM   #348
newyorkguy
Philosopher

First of all, the maximum sentence Pistorius could have recieved upon being convicted of culpable homicide was fifteen years. That was the maximum sentence Judge Masipa could have imposed. To her credit, Masipa wasn't judging the case as a woman's rights advocate but as a criminal court judge. That's what you seem to misunderstand. She found there was a reasonable possibility -- under the rules of evidence (not whatever her own private feeling is) -- that Pistorius did fire believing it to be an intruder in his water closet. Why the light sentence? This is how USA Today reported it at the time:
Quote:
JOHANNESBURG — South African Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to prison for five years Tuesday for the 2013 killing of his girlfriend, less than half the time he could have received following his manslaughter conviction last month. Judge Thokozile Masipa said a long sentence would show a lack of mercy toward Pistorius, known as the "Blade Runner" for racing on prosthetic legs. She suspended a separate three-year sentence for an unrelated firearms charge. Link to news article

However there was another reason for the lenient sentence, the trial judge ruled Pistoruis had showed no intent to kill. That was where, however, the South African Supreme Court ruled she erred. In its appeal the state asked the Supreme Court to rule on the following:
Quote:
[G]iven he knew someone was behind the door, and he fired four bullets into a tiny room, should he have foreseen that his actions would have killed whoever was in there? They decided unanimously. Yes, he did. And that is murder. News article
Old 17th December 2015, 06:19 PM   #349
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No maybe about it. It was by definition an error in judgement.
Well no, by the sentence she clearly agreed with the defence, not the prosecution. There is no middle ground between the two, only one could be correct. I accept you think he deliberately killed Reeva, but I don't agree, and I don't think the judge did either, notwithstanding New York Guy's analysis.
Old 17th December 2015, 06:42 PM   #350
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I accept you think he deliberately killed Reeva, but I don't agree, and I don't think the judge did either...
Again, your contention was that Judge Masipa considered the prosecution's theory to be "idiotic." By saying it "was reasonably possible" he didn't kill Steenkamp deliberately, doesn't she seem to be indicating she believed the possibility existed that he did?
Old 17th December 2015, 06:51 PM   #351
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

You have yet to indicate in what way the prosecution's suggestions were idiotic. You have only pointed out that the judge in this case made an error in judgement...

Old 17th December 2015, 08:19 PM   #352
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Well no, by the sentence she clearly agreed with the defence, not the prosecution. There is no middle ground between the two, only one could be correct. I accept you think he deliberately killed Reeva, but I don't agree, and I don't think the judge did either, notwithstanding New York Guy's analysis.
Judges making terrible decisions is, in no way, a rare event. The prosecutions case didn't seem "idiotic" in any way to me. Unless "idiotic" is a word you use for any assertion you don't approve of.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2016, 12:14 AM   #353
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

In the last few days it's been confirmed that OP has filed papers with the Constitutional Court, claiming that the SCA erred in applying an objective rationality criterion to him.

“The legal requirements for putative private defence were not a question of law referred to the SCA under section 319 of the CPA (Criminal Procedure Act). Therefore, with respect, the SCA had no statutory authority to interfere with either the trial court’s legal or factual finding of putative private defence.”

eta link for reading: http://mg.co.za/article/2016-01-12-o...ed-against-him

Last edited by TofuFighter; 13th January 2016 at 12:25 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2016, 05:01 AM   #354
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
In the last few days it's been confirmed that OP has filed papers with the Constitutional Court, claiming that the SCA erred in applying an objective rationality criterion to him.

“The legal requirements for putative private defence were not a question of law referred to the SCA under section 319 of the CPA (Criminal Procedure Act). Therefore, with respect, the SCA had no statutory authority to interfere with either the trial court’s legal or factual finding of putative private defence.”

eta link for reading: http://mg.co.za/article/2016-01-12-o...ed-against-him
It is pleasing to see he will persevere. Pistorius should fight to his last breath to show he never intended to kill Reeva Steenkamp. In his position I would.
Old 13th January 2016, 07:38 AM   #355
trustbutverify
Philosopher

It is pleasing to see he will persevere. Pistorius should fight to his last breath to show he never intended to kill Reeva Steenkamp. In his position I would.
He should claim he was just trying to wound her.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2016, 02:26 PM   #356
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This desperate last attempt will fair and will only enrich lawyers. He murdered Reeva and will do serious time, thankfully.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th January 2016, 02:32 PM   #357
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Missing the point, as ever. He intended to risk the life of *someone*, whether it was RS is incidental.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2016, 02:52 PM   #358
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Missing the point, as ever. He intended to risk the life of *someone*, whether it was RS is incidental.
Exactly.

The logic of Sampson's approach is that Reeva Steenkamp's life is worth more than that of someone , anyone, else. If you kill Steenkamp deliberately you are a murderer, but if you kill someone else deliberately you are only guilty of the equivalent of manslaughter.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2016, 06:22 PM   #359
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I'm not sure how the law works in South Africa but I was very surprised to read the grounds upon which Pistorius' lawyers are appealing the latest ruling (finding him guilty of murder). Specifically the lawyers are arguing that the "reasonable man" (or in this case "the rational person") standard does not and should not apply to Pistorius. From the link:
Quote:
Pistorius’s lawyers argue that the SCA erred by introducing an objective rationality criterion, of the “rational person”. In doing so, the SCA ignored Pistorius’s subjective state of the mind, in particular his anxiety disorder, his serious physical disability and his feelings of vulnerability.
The court erred by using objective reasoning? That's a new one.

I do agree that, essentially, Pistorius has already been judged not to have deliberately killed Reeva Steenkamp. The finding is that in firing four shots into the water closet Pistorius should have known (as would any reasonable or rational person) that the action would be quite likely to kill whoever was in the closet. I think most nations would consider that manslaughter (or the local equivalent). If a defendant takes an action of which a foreseeable result is someone getting killed, and someone does in fact die, pleading, "I didn't mean to kill them," is not a legally viable defense.

Except Pistorius is claiming that in his case it should be an adequate defense due to his anxiety disorder. That's ironic because aren't his lawyers basically conceding: The court got it right for rational people but not for Oscar.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:49 PM   #360
Desert Fox
Philosopher

If we are arguing with issues of wrongful convictions, self defense cases should be ones to be avoided. They are just so messy and hard to tell. There should need to be something obvious which argues for innocence if we argue for them. Otherwise, just leave them alone.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors