ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 13th July 2015, 09:37 PM   #1
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Bigfoot: The Patterson Gimlin Film - Part 5

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Oh yeah, just like this one...
At one time I probably could have been convinced to bet serious money those two pictures are of the same ******* suit.

Mod InfoThis is a continuation thread from Bigfoot: The Patterson Gimmlin Film - Part 4
Posted By:kmortis

Last edited by kmortis; 14th July 2015 at 08:59 AM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:34 AM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
It could be the single best piece of evidence.
If your best piece of evidence is a guy in a suit, it's screw city for bigfootery.
Quote:
It's either that or the various patterns that can be seen across thousands of reports.
Yes, yes. What sort of evil genius could read a BFRO report and type something similar. It's almost impossible.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
That's a projection of your own personal suspicions about Patterson's character on the sentence I wrote. You wouldn't see it that way if you had the opposite opinion about Patterson.
"If you already believed as I do, you would see why you ought to believe as I do..."
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:47 AM   #4
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

The copy of frame 352 that I posted was obtained by MK Davis from Patricia Patterson's copy of the film. He paid to get high quality scans of several different frames of the film at a photo lab. Frame 352 was one of them.

Frame 61 is from Bill Munn's inventory of Cibachrome scans. There's a few more from that copy that I can post if you want.
QED
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Donn
Philosopher

They've been the foundation of my research ...
That's search, not research.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 07:58 AM   #6
ComfySlippers
Banned

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
That's search, not research.

I think CT Logic dictates that when you search something for the second time you have re-searched the subject.
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 09:40 AM   #7
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

OS,

Well, when you have spent a lifetime looking for the subject and have completely and totally come up empty (with the subsequent feelings of frustration and dejection)...

...come back here and we'll let you know the reason for the failure.
Old 14th July 2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HghrSymmetry View Post
OS,

Well, when you have spent a lifetime looking for the subject and have completely and totally come up empty (with the subsequent feelings of frustration and dejection)...

...come back here and we'll let you know the reason for the failure.
He feels that a discovery can happen within the next 3 years, but isn't willing to bet on it. Ironically, OS doesn't seem to have much more confidence in it being him or his "team" who make said discovery...despite having supposedly encountered Bigfoot on a couple of occasions.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 10:05 AM   #9
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

You're mistaking me for someone else. I've never had any encounters and I'm not on any kind of research team.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 10:19 AM   #10
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

You're mistaking me for someone else. I've never had any encounters and I'm not on any kind of research team.
I'm pretty sure you've rambled on before about going out into the woods with people, and that's all I essentially meant, as there are no valid "research" teams out there who're thick enough to go looking for a figment of Roger Patterson's imagination. Didn't you have a thermal sighting, or is that Northern Lights? I remember the first time I smoked some Northern Lights, didn't see a single Squatch.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

<posting so this thread ranks above Part 4>

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:22 PM   #12
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

OntarioSquatch,

How many female Bigfeet have been spotted by anyone who sees them?
All of the research I have done (meaning reading some of the same stuff you do)
barely mentions any Bigfeet with the mid torso breasts.

Have you done any research here at International Skeptics or when it was JREF?

Bill Munns came here and it ended in tears. (Bill Munns refused to share any of his
work.)

It was quite educational for me. It showed me quite clearly what someone will do or
say to keep the illusion going.

PS Did you answer my question about your experience with guns?
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 08:39 PM   #13
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
He feels that a discovery can happen within the next 3 years, but isn't willing to bet on it. Ironically, OS doesn't seem to have much more confidence in it being him or his "team" who make said discovery...despite having supposedly encountered Bigfoot on a couple of occasions.
Interesting.
Old 15th July 2015, 03:27 PM   #14
barehl
Master Poster

The Golden Age of the Bigfoot Fetish is over. It's downhill from here and everyone knows it. When everyone in the woods has a cellphone with camera the excuses for no pictures or video devolve from special pleading to kicking and screaming. Sure, you can walk around the woods with a thermal camera and pretend to be hunting as they do on Finding Bigfoot but eventually even the stupidest Footies will notice that they never find anything.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 03:29 PM   #15
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It used to be that cell phone cameras were crap. That was the reigning excuse. Practically every cell phone sold today does high res pictures and 720p video.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2015, 05:23 AM   #16
Donn
Philosopher

Bigfilter has conspired with bigcamera to digitally exclude bigfoot from all exposure. Look for the tell-tale shrubbery or suggestive logs that cover him.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2015, 07:10 AM   #17
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Bigfilter has conspired with bigcamera to digitally exclude bigfoot from all exposure. Look for the tell-tale shrubbery or suggestive logs that cover him.
Brilliant! Google is surely involved.

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch
I believe his claim of having photos and videos because of the details of his encounters and the investigation that occurred, not because he claims to have photos and videos.
Isn't this the same logical fallacy you criticized earlier? You are making a decision regarding the veracity of a video/film based on outside factors rather than on the video evidence itself. At least those who don't believe the PGF have at least seen it.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 11:34 AM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here the sole appears to be square at the heel. It is generally regarded as an illusion.

Here the sole appears to be ovoid. It is generally regarded as an illusion

Here the toes appear to be flexing upwards. It is generally regarded as not being an illusion. I think it needs to be further examined as being another illusion.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Ever noticed Patty doesn't have a buttcrack?
Old 24th July 2015, 11:59 AM   #21
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
Though it does have a backseam.

"Hey Patty, I like the way the little line goes up the back of the monkeysuit.
I've always liked those kind of wader hips too.
No, no, no, don't take it off; leave it on, leave it on.
Everybody wants some . . . I want some too!!"

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 01:06 PM   #22
BayWatcher
Scholar

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post

It got filled in with woodape putty.
BayWatcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 02:25 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

These two images are of the same frame from the PGF. There is a vertical stick or twig in front of the left calf. Note how the length and thickness of that stick is different in the two images. I did not scale the two images so that they would be the same size, but I believe that a point can be made here anyway.

I think I understand the phenomenon on film known as "bloom" whereby light-colored and/or overexposed objects become larger and/or change shape. You can see that happening with the stick. But I think that that can't really be the end of the story. It would seem that darker objects (such as Patty herself) would become smaller and/or change shape because of the "invasion" of the blooming of lighter objects in the background or foreground.

This suggests to me that there may be challenges to determining true size and/or shape of almost anything in the PGF stills. I cannot say if this phenomenon is entirely eliminated when examining the higher-quality still frames. Additionally, the bloom phenomenon is not going to be limited to the outline/silhouette of Patty. There are lighter and darker areas all over her body, head and face which would be subject to bloom and therefore changing size and/or shape.

This would seem to matter in any analysis in which there is discussion of size and shape of any feature.

Old 25th July 2015, 11:48 AM   #24
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
It used to be that cell phone cameras were crap. That was the reigning excuse. Practically every cell phone sold today does high res pictures and 720p video.
I would accept that excuse even now. I can barely take acceptable pictures of my own cat using my cell phone, which is a pity because she is a beautiful Siamese with white boots and mittens.
Old 25th July 2015, 01:16 PM   #25
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I would accept that excuse even now. I can barely take acceptable pictures of my own cat using my cell phone, which is a pity because she is a beautiful Siamese with white boots and mittens.
Certainly. This is the whole problem.

Bad pictures happen. Some people don't have the knack of taking pictures.

However, if 2 million tourists strolled through your place every year, some of them with thousands of dollars of camera kit, others with the proclaimed intention of taking pictures of your cat, then you can bet your sweet bippy that some amazing pictures of your cat would be out there.

If I can go on a whale watch and take this, why aren't there any pictures of Bigfoot this good?

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2015, 01:21 PM   #26
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by John Nowak View Post
If I can go on a whale watch and take this, why aren't there any pictures of Bigfoot this good?
Easy - you're not lying about seeing the orca.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2015, 05:59 PM   #27
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Certainly. This is the whole problem.

Bad pictures happen. Some people don't have the knack of taking pictures.

However, if 2 million tourists strolled through your place every year, some of them with thousands of dollars of camera kit, others with the proclaimed intention of taking pictures of your cat, then you can bet your sweet bippy that some amazing pictures of your cat would be out there.

https://bsccollateral.smugmug.com/By...20142548-L.jpg
Ummm...that's not 'Squatch...
Old 26th July 2015, 07:30 AM   #28
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Easy - you're not lying about seeing the orca.
Or, more generously, I actually did see the orca.

-historian
Old 26th July 2015, 07:33 AM   #29
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Ummm...that's not 'Squatch...
Of course not - orcas are real.

-historian
Old 26th July 2015, 08:31 AM   #30
Wolrab
Illuminator

The woods on the hills are out of focus. There are probably hundreds of bigfoot smiling right at us! Prove me wrong.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 26th July 2015 at 08:32 AM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2015, 09:11 AM   #31
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The woods on the hills are out of focus. There are probably hundreds of bigfoot smiling right at us! Prove me wrong.
Ummm...you're in denial, you're ugly, and your mama dresses you funny?

ETA: oh, wait, I mean "some patching".

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 26th July 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 26th July 2015, 10:39 AM   #32
Wolrab
Illuminator

Two out of three ain't bad.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2015, 12:23 PM   #33
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

I guess it must mean that orca are more common, and less intelligent than Bigfoot, and find it more difficult to hide.

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Darn. You've run rings around me, logically.

-historian
Old 29th July 2015, 05:15 PM   #34
Wolrab
Illuminator

I guess it must mean that orca are more common, and less intelligent than Bigfoot, and find it more difficult to hide.

Darn. You've run rings around me, logically.
They are everywhere! If there's a blur, it's a Bigfoot. If there's cover, Bigfoot is behind it. That is why they have spread from coast to coast without being seen on roads, bridges, or crossing rivers.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:51 AM   #35
Drewbot
Philosopher

Of course Orca doesn't run an hide from humans, humans haven't been killing them for hundreds of years... oh, wait.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2015, 05:43 PM   #36
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Of course Orca doesn't run an hide from humans, humans haven't been killing them for hundreds of years... oh, wait.
And where would an orca hide anyway? It's not like they can just dive underwater or something.

I'm pretty sure one of the footers on this very forum said that there were no good photographs of Bigfoot because they are only visible for "a second or so." Crimeny. That's more air time than a sea lion will give you.

-historian
Old 4th August 2015, 12:15 PM   #37
Drewbot
Philosopher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw54YeCkS3M

ROLL ONE, COMPLETE: Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film and Preliminary Scenery of Bluff Creek
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 12:16 PM   #38
Drewbot
Philosopher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amhCCTTlbU

Rene Dahinden's Blue Creek Mountain Bigfoot Trackway Footage.
Old 6th August 2015, 10:12 PM   #39
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

http://www.relativelyinteresting.com...ts-stabilized/
What PGF looks like stabilised.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 10:54 PM   #40
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amhCCTTlbU

Rene Dahinden's Blue Creek Mountain Bigfoot Trackway Footage.
Very serious investigators. A dog, a gun, and look what expert trackers. Don't those tracks look amateurish?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal