ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:30 PM   #81
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
A God of Love? if such a being existed, it might be worth following. I find, however, that those who preach about a deity of love, talk down to others, act smug and condescending, and mock those who ask questions.

Doesn't seem like love to me. Examples in this thread abound about someone speaking of a god of love, and acting as if they follow a god of hate or intolerance.
It almost seems as if it's a basic definition of 'Christian' doesn't it?

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
St. Paul is speaking of Love, St Paul is not Love: God is love.
No, 'love' is love. More pathetic attempts at equivocating deity-gibberish with things that actually exist just makes the absurdity of believing in fantasy even more transparent.

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
"Love is not jealous"
"God is love."
"I am a jealous god! Rawr!"

And yes, indifference is the opposite of love. I have said that myself on these forums in the past. It is also the opposite of hate. It would interesting to see a religion based on an indifferent god, that would have some neat potential.
Crom! Crom does not care if you live or die! Crom cares not if you worship him either! He's the best god evar!

No, God is God.
Funny thing is you apparently think this gibberish is meaningful or insightful.

Oh dear.

Oh well, I tried.

Hey, super! This is not really the thread to do that, but that has not ever stopped an atheist from injecting it into just about every possible thread.
Amazing!

The thread topic has never stopped theists from regurgitating idiotic bible quotes into threads either so you know how we feel.

Wow.

No, I did not show them Christ's mercy and God's love.

And isn't that what this thread is all about?
What, that Christians forever fail to live up to the simple rules that Jesus set out and are utterly unbothered by that fact? That Christians preach and preach and preach yet rarely actually make the effort to achieve it or at least are humbled and regretful for not doing so?

Well, the theists in this thread are demonstrating that, in spades!

Edited by Agatha:  Edited derailing material sent to AAH

Last edited by Agatha; 21st April 2017 at 06:25 AM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:44 PM   #82
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
That's nice. Everyone else thinks I'm a ****.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are one, would it?

Old 19th April 2017, 10:49 PM   #83
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are one, would it?

Nah. I'm a victim of circumstance...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:26 PM   #84
Johanabrahams
Banned

What is tough love?
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:28 PM   #85
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
I don't "fall" for any of them.

SURE . . .I AM NO FOOL

A lot of them are from Greenpeace or PETA or a number of other nonprofit organizations. You know, organizations that spend money on charity, as opposed to churches who declare donations charity then upgrade their facilities.

It's not difficult to do a license search on an organization to see how they're organized, but as a rule, I pass by all of those young folks with clipboards. Your religious buddies have long since trained me on the obnoxiousness of haranguing people on the streets.
I LIKE TO TAKE THEM ON . . .MUCH MORE PLEASURE IN SEEING THEM STUMBLE.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:34 PM   #86
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Why do you think that preaching to us is anything other than an utter waste of your time?
SO . . .YOU WASTED YOUR TIME?

MEETING PEOPLE . . .SHARING . . .LEARNING AND EVERYTHING THERE IS BETWEEN PEOPLE CAN NEVER BE A WASTE OF TIME. . . .

It would help if your post was written properly. The grammar is appalling, rendering it virtually unreadable.
OK . . I WILL TRY. I AM SOUTH AFRICAN AND ENGLISH IS NOT MY FIRST LANGAUGE . . .BUT I AM GLAD YOU MADE SOMETHING TO SPEAK ABOUT . . .BECAUSE NOT HAVING ANSWERED IS EVEN WORSE.

Have you posted this elsewhere?
NOPE . . I AM SPEAKING TO YOU GUYS.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to fix quote tags

Last edited by Agatha; 21st April 2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:35 PM   #87
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Thankfully someone else has taken over trolling duty from our hit and run OP. It's what Jesus would have wanted. None of that cheek turning, just try to annoy them.

ETA: oh no, there you are... Why all caps? Are you mad?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:40 PM   #88
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
There doesn't appear to be any kind of God anywhere. So we'll have to do without and try to make something of our lives.
YEP . . THEY ARE ALL SPEAKING ABOUT ONE . . .BUT NOBODY IS SHOWING . . AND WHEN YOU SPEAK ABOUT ONE . . .THAT IS BETTER THAN US IT NOT WITTNESSING MUCH LOVE. BECAUSE SUCH A GOD HAS MISSED HIS CALLING.

I SHOULD THINK A TRUE GOD . . .OF LOVE . . .SHOULD HAVE SOME TO SHARE IT WITH . . .BUT WHEN YOU CREATE SOMETHING . . HUMANS. . .LOWER THAN YOURSELF YOU MISS IT BECAUSE I CAN LOVE A DOG . . .BUT I MISS IT BECAUSE IT IS NOT REALLY WORTH TO LOVE . . .BUT NOW . . .MY SON OR DAUGHTER IS . . AND IN THEM I CAN FIND THE TRUE PLEASURE OF LOVE . . .BEING THE SAME AS ME . . . .AND GROWING UP TO BE LIKE ME . . .BUT NOW A DOG . . .OF LESSER SPECIE AS ME . . .NOPE

SURE . . GOD MISSED TRUE LOVE.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:41 PM   #89
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
What is tough love?
It's like regular love, only with a safe word.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:47 PM   #90
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
You sound like you're trying to talk your prom date into something...
YEP . . .SURE DOES . . .BUT I HAVE TO DO BETTER. OK HANG ON . . .IT WILL GET BETTER
Old 19th April 2017, 11:51 PM   #91
Johanabrahams
Banned

If our OP is the same Johan Abrahams who has his own website about God and posts on religious forums, we are in for a lot of incoherent screaming. I'll get the popcorn. Or I could bake some cookies.
YOU HIT THE MARK . . BUT DO NOT RUN AWAY NOW . . .YOU ARE NOT A COWARD . . SO YOU HAVE TO SHOW AND PROOF THE "INCOHERENT SCREAMING" . . .BECAUSE TO SAY SOMETHING WITHOUT PROOF MAKES YOU FOR "INCOHERENT SCREAMING"

LOVE JOHAN
Old 19th April 2017, 11:51 PM   #92
David Mo
Graduate Poster

God loves you
What god is love? This one…
“At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well..” (Exodus 12; 29)
…or this other?:
“And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to heaven? No, you will descend to Hades! For if the miracles that were performed in you had happened in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.” (Matthew 11:23-24)

The god of the Old Testament is a destruction machine: jealous, hateful, violent... even with children and animals. The Jesus of the gospels is love... for those that believe in him. For the others the Judgement Day is coming... soon "and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:50)

What strange kinds of love... What of these call you "love"?

Last edited by David Mo; 20th April 2017 at 12:00 AM.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:57 PM   #93
Johanabrahams
Banned

Good questions and welcome to the site.

THANKS

There certainly is a God of Love, for as the saints wrote:
WELL NOW . . THAT IS ATTRIBUTES OF LOVE THAT ANYONE CAN FOLLOW AS PRINCIPLES OF HIS LIFE . . .AND IT PROVES NOT A GOD OF LOVE.

SO IT SEEMS YOU HAVE GIVEN ME VERY GOOD PRINCIPLES TO LIVE BY . . .BUT WHAT IS THE USE OF THEM . . AND WHAT IS THE GAIN?

LOVE JOHAN
Old 19th April 2017, 11:58 PM   #94
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

<snip>we are in for a lot of incoherent screaming.
Where's my million dollars?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 12:02 AM   #95
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Why don't you answer the question you ask?
THEN THERE IS NO QUESTION. IT IS GOOD IF THE STUDENTS CAN START THINKING FOR THEMSELVES.

If there's a god and that god loves us, what is that god doing for us?
VERY GOOD QUESTION . . .SO . . WHAT IS THE BEST HE CAN DO FOR US.

SO TELL US . . .WHAT IS THE BEST YOU CAN DIG UP . . .AND I BET I WILL BETTER ON IT.

Why should such a god be so obscure as to require us to venture somewhere to understand?

MAYBE BECAUSE HE DOES AND WE DO NOT. BEING ANOTHER BEING LIKE CATS AND DOGS VS HUMAN

Last edited by Agatha; 21st April 2017 at 03:37 AM.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:07 AM   #96
Johanabrahams
Banned

No cookies then?
NOW . . DO NOT BE IN A HURRY . . MAYBE.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:10 AM   #97
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

YOU HIT THE MARK . . BUT DO NOT RUN AWAY NOW . . .YOU ARE NOT A COWARD . . SO YOU HAVE TO SHOW AND PROOF THE "INCOHERENT SCREAMING" . . .BECAUSE TO SAY SOMETHING WITHOUT PROOF MAKES YOU FOR "INCOHERENT SCREAMING"

LOVE JOHAN

The incoherent screaming about what is or is not incoherent screaming is priceless.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:12 AM   #98
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Myth can be inspiring and instructive. Doesn't matter if the myth is of a people, a nation, or a God. When questioned, the first reaction is to think opponents cannot share the noble sentiments in play, and all moral lessons are lost upon them. Or that they hate a people or a nation (gods, perhaps). Wrong. It's just that they also know it's myth. This is the issue, not the nobility, morality, or goodness. The importance of knowing when myth is myth is that unlike truth, myth inspires no sword-swinging.
LOT OF BIG WORDS . . .AND I DO NOT SAY I UNDERSTAND ALL . . BUT THERE YOU WILL BE OF HELP.

BUT:

IF I GOT YOU CORRECTLY . . .THEN TRUTH WILL HAVE A "SWORD-SWINGING" WHICH PINPOINT IT AS THE TRUTH?
Old 20th April 2017, 12:15 AM   #99
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post
Cthulhu IS a god of Love!

He loves the way you taste the best of all!
SOUNDS LIKE A KILLER

OF HUMANS

TAKING US OUT OF THE MISERY OF THIS WORLD . . . MAYBE
Old 20th April 2017, 12:19 AM   #100
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No god, could not do anything
YEP . . AGREE WE SEE NOTHING . .

(nothing that has no existence can do anything!!!
NOT REALLY . . . MAYBE HE IS JUST ENJOYING OUR PREDICAMENT . . WHILE EATING HIS "POPCORN AND COOKIES"

I hope this helps!!!!
CAUSING JUST A LOT MORE MISERY FOR ME . . .AS THE EARTH . . .AND I AM DYING . .
You have an interesting sign off I see!!!
YEP . . YOU ARE WIDE AWAKE . . .SO WHAT IS SO "INTERESTING"?

Last edited by Agatha; 21st April 2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:21 AM   #101
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

SOUNDS LIKE A KILLER

OF HUMANS
Not to put too fine a point on it, but... didn't your God of love not only command the genocide of multiple peoples, but also kill all of humanity himself, except for about 8 people? And that's according to the stories that were supposed to make him look good...
Old 20th April 2017, 12:21 AM   #102
Johanabrahams
Banned

I've changed my mind, I'm baking brownies. Still no deities to be found anywhere though.
"NO DEITIES" WELL . . .MAYBE YOU HAVE JUST NOT MET ONE YET.

Last edited by Johanabrahams; 20th April 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:25 AM   #103
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Which of the thousands of gods did you have in mind?
OBVIOUSLY . . .THE TRUE ONE
Old 20th April 2017, 12:27 AM   #104
Johanabrahams
Banned

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3;16

Now that is love!
COME ON BROTHER . . .SENDING HIS SON TO DIE . . WHILE HE IS ENJOYING HIS "POPCORN AND COOKIES"
Old 20th April 2017, 12:36 AM   #105
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
He loves us so much that he arranged to have his beloved Son tortured to death, just to show us how much He loves us. And how He treats those He loves.

And also because we're dirty little sinners, and somebody had to pay for that. And now He can forgive us and not condemn us to eternal torture. Because He had His Son tortured to death so He wouldn't have to do that to us. Because He has to do what He has to do. Unless somebody gets tortured to death, which changes everything.

His mercy is exceeded only by His mighty reasoning. It all makes perfect sense once you understand how He thinks.
A father . . . sending his son while he is enjoying his "godly life" up there . . .does not seem like much of a father.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:39 AM   #106
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

A father . . . sending his son while he is enjoying his "godly life" up there . . .does not seem like much of a father.
We all assumed you were talking about the Christian god until now... But you appear to condemn him, so you might not be talking about YHWH and Jesus...

Who is this true god of yours?
Old 20th April 2017, 12:43 AM   #107
Johanabrahams
Banned

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

John 3:1
Ok . .. seems like something here . . .making us His children . . ..taking us out of our human existence to his godly one. That is something. So then making us gods too.

Sounds very good. I would like to be that . . .having Him as my Father . . .looking up at Him . . knowing as He is so am I. And when I am fully grown being the same now . . .can restore this dying earth . . or maybe make another one for everybody . . .seeing the universe is so big . . maybe even make one for every family . . .yep . . great.

So this must be the True God because all the others like to look down on us . . .being better and stronger etc. That doesn't sound like much love to me.

Ok . . so if He is our Father . . . how do we now get out of this human live and into His . . .I mean . . .if i was a dog how do I now get to be a human being.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:47 AM   #108
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I think we're of on the wrong track here. Surely the OP is referring to Eros?
Nope . . .the true one
Old 20th April 2017, 12:48 AM   #109
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I think we're of on the wrong track here. Surely the OP is referring to Eros?
Actually . . .the one that created those
Old 20th April 2017, 12:52 AM   #110
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Allah be praised.
yep . . .I heard about him . . .but for what should he be praised?
Old 20th April 2017, 12:53 AM   #111
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm more of a Muskrat Love kinda guy.
ok then . . but do you have any reason?
Old 20th April 2017, 01:01 AM   #112
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
I wonder why, whenever the "God is Love" premise is brought up, those that support it can only dredge up scriptural quotations as "evidence" for their position. Why not present real-life examples? Are modern-day instances of God being Love so scarce that moldy text cherry-picked from ancient tomes (tomes which, by the way, also portray God as a fickle, cruel and anxious beast) remains the best possible testimony?
This is now a good one.

"Big dog" said something that looks to me like a true God of love. One taking human beings out of their "low specie" life into his grand godly life. So . . .we should see some gods walking around . . .and then it will not be so difficult to belief for a skeptic that wants to see.

Love Johan
Old 20th April 2017, 01:03 AM   #113
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I took the name, "the god of love, a few days before you wrote." what is it you wish to ask? I guess you asked. I can't do that. I can't get you anything. But you will note, you are talking about this new god, and the hopelessness of it all, and asking yourself, what is real? Your answer is there. I am real. I suppose you doubt and and am leaning to thinking I am not.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 20th April 2017 at 01:09 AM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:11 AM   #114
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Wait, God loves me? I'm a guy? Is God gay? That might explain a few things, now that I think of it.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting with bated breath to see of the OP comes back. Or maybe baited breath, I get confused.
Wait, God loves me? I'm a guy? Is God gay? That might explain a few things, now that I think of it.

WELL 'BIG DOG' SAID SOMETHING OF HIM BEING A FATHER SO IT SHOULD BE FATHERLY LOVE MEANING GIVING US EVERYTHING THAT HE IS . . .MAKING US TRUE GODS OURSELVES.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting with bated breath to see of the OP comes back.

NOT COMING BACK WILL MAKE ME A COWARD . . .NOPE . . .RATHER YOU RUNNING OR FORUM BANNING ME . .. BUT AS FOR ME . . .LIKE A BULLDOG . .BITTING AND CLINGING.

Or maybe baited breath,

I get confused

I GOING TO HELP YOU WITH THIS "CONFUSION" . . .

A FATHER LOVES HIS SON
Old 20th April 2017, 01:16 AM   #115
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
What do you need from the god of love?
Well what do I not need. First of all i do not want to die. . . so I need everlasting life, second of all i do not want to get ill . . .do not want to be poor etc.

Just stay with "Big Dog" . . .I want to be god too.
Old 20th April 2017, 01:22 AM   #116
Johanabrahams
Banned

Wow, you sure put up an incredible number of conditions on it. Like a lot! Like so many that there is no way that anyone could satisfy it, in fact it is almost like you don't want to consider the proof.

Let's do it!

Who will be the judges? Can't be me, or you... Or any of the other kool aid drinkers, so that excludes everyone in this thread.... Except the op!

Op will you judge?

Fantastic!
nope . . .will call God in . . .only thus will everybody be happy
Old 20th April 2017, 01:24 AM   #117
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well what do I not need. First of all i do not want to die. . . so I need everlasting life, second of all i do not want to get ill . . .do not want to be poor etc.

Just stay with "Big Dog" . . .I want to be god too.
I am wondering what the TBD thinks about you being his co-religionist.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Old 20th April 2017, 01:28 AM   #118
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

WELL 'BIG DOG' SAID SOMETHING OF HIM BEING A FATHER SO IT SHOULD BE FATHERLY LOVE MEANING GIVING US EVERYTHING THAT HE IS . . .MAKING US TRUE GODS OURSELVES.

NOT COMING BACK WILL MAKE ME A COWARD . . .NOPE . . .RATHER YOU RUNNING OR FORUM BANNING ME . .. BUT AS FOR ME . . .LIKE A BULLDOG . .BITTING AND CLINGING.

I GOING TO HELP YOU WITH THIS "CONFUSION" . . .

A FATHER LOVES HIS SON
If you don't break the rules, you won't get banned. It's quite hard to be 'martyred' in this place...

Your responses are a bit... unclear.

Did you start your thread because you want to tell us about your God?
Did you start it because you're looking for a God?
If you want to tell us about your God, please do so. Your posts have been rather uninformative so far. We all assumed you were talking about the Christian God, but then you proceeded to tell us you don't think he's loving, and that a true God would make us Gods (perhaps Mormonism, though I doubt you're a Mormon).

So please help us with our confusion (And please don't post in all caps, it makes it look like you are screaming all the time. It's rude, and doesn't help with reading comprehension)

Who is your God? What do you want to tell us about him?
Old 20th April 2017, 01:30 AM   #119
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
What is love?, baby don't hurt me, No more.
Well i think "Big dog" said it. Love is to give you the best I can. And where God is concerned it has to be everything that He is. . . .seeing that He is so good and powerful and everything.
Old 20th April 2017, 01:32 AM   #120
Johanabrahams
Banned

Curious that people choose to bring their grudges from the most catastrophic thread in atheist history.

I love you guys.
yup . . .love all these bad guys . . .that is something! So how do you manage that?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy