ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artificial intelligence , consciousness , Edward Witten , Max Tegmark

Old 1st September 2017, 04:58 AM   #121
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
So, you are still yet to present any data, beyond non-evidenced blather.
You haven't presented data either. Why do you expect everyone to do your work for you?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:03 AM   #122
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

FOOTNOTE:
Curiously, how does Dunning/Kruger supposedly apply to a being (i.e. myself), who aims to acquire a lot more scientific data?
Very precisely, if you confuse the aim of acquiring data with a superior ability for doing so.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:03 AM   #123
halleyscomet
Philosopher

"Thought curvature", a possible path to Artificial General Intelligence?

Instead of blathering on absent evidence, it is pertinent that you perhaps demonstrate how I supposedly fail to present valid data.

Signature:

Still waving around those books you can't read, are you?

It is not a lack of data I criticize but your lack of comprehension and understanding. You post without understanding.

But since you mention "data," you've not provided any either. Your opinions are not data.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:07 AM   #124
halleyscomet
Philosopher

So, you are still yet to present any data, beyond non-evidenced blather.

I ponder why?

Signature:

I'm shy and not inclined to go first. I'll let someone else post data first. I'd never want to inject data into a nonsense thread!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:08 AM   #125
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I do have evidence for my claim: all of your posts.

You're basically posting your musings. What do you expect as a rebuttal?
So, you are yet to present anything beyond non-evidenced blather.
Quite the disappointment.

Signature:
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:10 AM   #126
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Very precisely, if you confuse the aim of acquiring data with a superior ability for doing so.

Dave
And where had I supposedly expressed of superior data acquisition ability, Dave?
You need to get into the state of mind, of presenting evidence for your claims. Please try to present evidence, for your next response.

Signature:
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:13 AM   #127
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

And where had I supposedly expressed of superior data acquisition ability, Dave?
In the implications of your clearly implied suggestion that Dunning-Kruger should not apply to you for the reason that you display the former trait. For evidence, I refer you to your own words.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:22 AM   #128
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

In the implications of your clearly implied suggestion that Dunning-Kruger should not apply to you for the reason that you display the former trait. For evidence, I refer you to your own words.

Dave

And once more, where had I supposedly expressed of superior data acquisition ability, Dave?

Where had I clearly implied of superior data acquisition ability, Dave?

As I expressed prior, you need to train yourself, to present evidence for your claims, instead of non-evidenced blather.

Signature:
Old 1st September 2017, 05:25 AM   #129
Dave Rogers

As I expressed prior, you need to train yourself, to present evidence for your claims, instead of non-evidenced blather.
The evidence is in your posts. You, on the other hand, need to train yourself to stop pretending that nobody is capable of understanding context or subtext.

Dave

Old 1st September 2017, 05:27 AM   #130
Argumemnon
World Maker

So, you are yet to present anything beyond non-evidenced blather.
I do have evidence for my claim: all of your posts.

You're basically posting your musings. What do you expect as a rebuttal?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:32 AM   #131
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

The evidence is in your posts. You, on the other hand, need to train yourself to stop pretending that nobody is capable of understanding context or subtext.

Dave
There is no such evidence, of any superior data acquisition ability, as you so fervently claimed (absent evidence)

Ironically, contrasting evidence to your claim was clearly expressed (see source):

To spell it out: For example, I had expressed that I lacked particular knowledge gained (i.e insufficient data acquisition) by rapid experimentation (afforded by expensive gpus) in the machine learning context.

Given the spell out above, how does Dunning/Kruger supposedly apply?

Signature:
Old 1st September 2017, 05:46 AM   #132
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

For those genuinely seeking information, see more details regarding the OP here.

A snippet/preview:

Signature:

Last edited by jsfisher; 3rd September 2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Image width adjusted
Old 1st September 2017, 05:49 AM   #133
fagin
Illuminator

Needs more colours.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:02 AM   #134
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

One might think a aprogramming god could manage to format the width of images so as not to constantly **** up the page margins.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:17 AM   #135
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
One might think a aprogramming god could manage to format the width of images so as not to constantly **** up the page margins.
He must be a back-end guy.

I'm tempted to post this every time he posts his wall-of-text image:

I might just use the small version. People will know what I mean:

Last edited by halleyscomet; 1st September 2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:46 AM   #136
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post

http://i.imgur.com/EJwE19t.png

http://i.imgur.com/EJwE19tb.png
Why are you cross posting irrelevant images?

Don't you realize that the image from the other thread is different/disparate from the image posted in reply 36 of this thread?

What is the moderator to do with you now?

signature

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 1st September 2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:54 AM   #137
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Why are cross posting irrelevant images?

Don't you realize that the image from the other thread is different/disparate from the image posted in reply 36 of this thread?
So what?

You are posting ignorant gibberish divorced from any scientific or philosophical framework. Creating a separate image highlighting the fact you're posting gibberish is hardly worth the trouble. Your gibberish doesn't deserve that much effort, minor though that effort may be.

One of the forum rules is to attack the argument, not the arguer. Violating that one can get you suspended or banned. The discussion of moderator rules was in part to highlight the fact that there are a few people here who are tempted to makes unflattering suggestions about your mental health and / or capabilities as part of the discussion, but cannot because of the forum rules. I think it's a good rule. I can call the ideas you've posted a rotting mass of fetid refuse without attacking you personally.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:00 AM   #138
halleyscomet
Philosopher

OK, OK, since it OBVIOUSLY means that much to you:

Is that better?
Old 1st September 2017, 08:01 AM   #139
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

So what?

You are posting ignorant gibberish divorced from any scientific or philosophical framework. Creating a separate image highlighting the fact you're posting gibberish is hardly worth the trouble. Your gibberish doesn't deserve that much effort, minor though that effort may be.

One of the forum rules is to attack the argument, not the arguer. Violating that one can get you suspended or banned. The discussion of moderator rules was in part to highlight the fact that there are a few people here who are tempted to makes unflattering suggestions about your mental health and / or capabilities as part of the discussion, but cannot because of the forum rules. I think it's a good rule. I can call the ideas you've posted a rotting mass of fetid refuse without attacking you personally.
I repeat, why were you cross posting irrelevant images, and in doing so, failing to address this thread's OP?

What shall the moderator to do with you now?

http://i.imgur.com/EJwE19tb.png

signature

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 1st September 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:02 AM   #140
fagin
Illuminator

signature
We're supposed to read that ******

Last edited by fagin; 1st September 2017 at 08:03 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 08:04 AM   #141
fagin
Illuminator

ps. I have no idea why there are six asterisks. It's a four letter word.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:05 AM   #142
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
We're supposed to read that ******
I would advise against reading it, if one's understanding of machine learning is ****** , aka non existent.

signature

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 1st September 2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:05 AM   #143
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
ps. I have no idea why there are six asterisks. It's a four letter word.
Anyone know what the "signature" of the single word "signature" underlined and bolded is supposed to signify?
Old 1st September 2017, 08:08 AM   #144
Argumemnon
World Maker

I would advise against reading it, if one's understanding of machine learning is ****** , aka non existent.
Are you only planning to post non-evidenced blather?

Old 1st September 2017, 08:15 AM   #145
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Do you garner that beings absent any training at all in the machine learning field, can perform well in that same field?

What is supposedly non-evidenced about the prior statement?

signature
Old 1st September 2017, 08:33 AM   #146
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Do you garner that beings absent any training at all in the machine learning field, can perform well in that same field?

What is supposedly non-evidenced about the prior statement?
The answer would be "yes," she or he WILL be posting more non-evidenced blather. I'm reminded of this image:

Last edited by halleyscomet; 1st September 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 12:25 PM   #147
RussDill
Philosopher

There are particular limits, that I currently aim to resolve:

(1) I don't have access to google-level gpus for the purpose of rapid experimentation.
Good News Everyone! Cloud computing is a thing. You can rent GPU resources from either Amazon or Google for just pennies. You can stop wasting your time posting here and start running your experiments.

Quote:
(2) I don't have the depth of knowledge that a phd pioneer like Yoshua Bengio would possess, especially, given the nature of my university's sub-optimal AI course.
Good News Everyone! Knowledge and education is available to all! You can learn from MIT courses, for free!

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-...alintelligence

There's also this awesome 3 month course from google:

https://research.googleblog.com/2016...ning-with.html

And of course a ton of other free resources out there. Stop wasting your time posting here and start learning!

Quote:
(i) Despite (2), it is not inconceivable that I can detect regimes, that phd aligned machine learning people may miss.
The ol', every now and then a blind squirrel can find a nut? Given that our ideas come from an admitted viewpoint of ignorance, there is no reason to believe your ideas hold anything of value.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 12:30 PM   #148
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
The ol', every now and then a blind squirrel can find a nut? Given that our ideas come from an admitted viewpoint of ignorance, there is no reason to believe your ideas hold anything of value.
Hey now, sometimes it takes a real outsider, a hard-core maverick to overturn things. For example:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=315572
Old 1st September 2017, 12:35 PM   #149
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know what the "signature" of the single word "signature" underlined and bolded is supposed to signify?
Last time I saw that it was in a poorly coded bot.
Old 1st September 2017, 12:40 PM   #150
RussDill
Philosopher

Hey now, sometimes it takes a real outsider, a hard-core maverick to overturn things. For example:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=315572
heh, any day now. Speaking seriously, I think it'd be interesting to make a collection of blind nuts. My favorite honest to goodness blind nut is this one:

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/04/19/the-flame-audion/
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:23 PM   #151
sackett
Philosopher

Curved thought? Pish. Any basement tinkerer can do curves.

If you hope to make progress, try barrel rolls. Try toroidal thought, and move forever on the same surface.

But the real secret, as this thread demonstrates, is CORKSCREW thought! And a lot of it!

So don't give up, ProgrammingGod.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 03:45 PM   #152
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Good News Everyone! Cloud computing is a thing. You can rent GPU resources from either Amazon or Google for just pennies. You can stop wasting your time posting here and start running your experiments.
Unfortunately, until very recently, I had not any USD account, in order to make purchases on the cloud.

Originally Posted by RussDill
Good News Everyone! Knowledge and education is available to all! You can learn from MIT courses, for free!

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-...alintelligence

There's also this awesome 3 month course from google:

https://research.googleblog.com/2016...ning-with.html

And of course a ton of other free resources out there. Stop wasting your time posting here and start learning!
Yes, I have utilized many free resources.

The above doesn't remove that I don't have official training in machine learning, and my daily job did not concern machine learning.

I have also sought aid where possible, from some of the pioneers in the field:

Originally Posted by RussDill
Yes, there is no reason to believe in anything.
Science is true, whether or not we believe in it.

Anyway, for example, although deepmind typically considers neuroscience, deepmind's manifold work does not yet? account for supermanifolds. (Supermanifolds are observed to apply in cognitive science)

Thought curvature uniquely describes machine learning algebra, in the domain of Supermanifolds.

signature
Old 1st September 2017, 04:01 PM   #153
fagin
Illuminator

Unfortunately, until very recently, I had not any USD account, in order to make purchases on the cloud.

The usual etc.

I'm sure some non USA backwaters, like Europe and Asia manage to use clouds.
Old 1st September 2017, 04:19 PM   #154
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That's a rather odd claim for a self proclaimed programming god. Seven months to figure out basic image tags and unaware/innocent of online banking by your own claim.

In my personal life, my banking is online, my utilities are online, my car and home insurance are online, my shareholdings are online, I have no mortgage but those are handled online these days.

It seems you have dropped a century.

ETA: And in a corporate context (that word you do not understand) we have a company chequebook. We issue maybe 2 cheques per year. Everything happens in cyberspace. We have a general policy of laughing at people who require cheques.

In short, your ideas seem just a little short and behind of the reality. You have some catching up to do on the reality of modern business.

Last edited by abaddon; 1st September 2017 at 04:29 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 04:34 PM   #155
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That's a rather odd claim for a self proclaimed programming god. Seven months to figure out basic image tags and unaware/innocent of online banking by your own claim.

In my personal life, my banking is online, my utilities are online, my car and home insurance are online, my shareholdings are online, I have no mortgage but those are handled online these days.

It seems you have dropped a century.
I wasn't unaware of online banking.

I deeply got into machine learning just last year, and I didn't have a need for cloud compute services until last year.

The bank I had initially used (ncb Jamaica), had been expressing that an international USD account was to be integrated, as the USD account I had there could not be used to do online business.

I waited for several months, before getting a separate USD account from another bank, with the proper capabilities. (Apart from maintaining my website nonbeliefism.com along with some other business, that USD account has very little money there, insufficient for proper cloud experimentation)

I am currently working to remedy that scenario.

As for the qimg tag, I don't see any controls on the editor to generate that tag.

signature

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 1st September 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:00 PM   #156
RussDill
Philosopher

The above doesn't remove that I don't have official training in machine learning, and my daily job did not concern machine learning.

I have also sought aid where possible, from some of the pioneers in the field:
So you've bestowed the lofty title of "Programming God" upon yourself, made declarations that you have super knowledge that even Phds in the field don't have. You have the resources, you have access to the knowledge But you refuse to attempt what you claim is some optimum solution/answer and instead just, what, complain? on forums.

Yes, clearly you are going to transform everything. lol.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:03 PM   #157
RussDill
Philosopher

The bank I had initially used (ncb Jamaica), had been expressing that an international USD account was to be integrated, as the USD account I had there could not be used to do online business.
You don't need a USD account. Any VISA will do, which Jamaican banks have offered for quite some time.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:20 PM   #158
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

So you've bestowed the lofty title of "Programming God" upon yourself, made declarations that you have super knowledge that even Phds in the field don't have. You have the resources, you have access to the knowledge But you refuse to attempt what you claim is some optimum solution/answer and instead just, what, complain? on forums.

Yes, clearly you are going to transform everything. lol.
I am unable to parse your quote above.
What are you trying to say?

FOOTNOTE:
No where did I mention I had "super knowledge that even PhDs don't have".

What I mentioned instead, was that I evaluate components that PhDs in machine learning don't demonstrate in their latest works.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 1st September 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:42 PM   #159
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

You don't need a USD account. Any VISA will do, which Jamaican banks have offered for quite some time.
I often refer to the visa card in relation to a USD account, because typically, transactions occur in terms of us dollars.

Anyway, my prior statement holds:

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan
I wasn't unaware of online banking.

I deeply got into machine learning just last year, and I didn't have a need for cloud compute services until last year.

I waited for several months, before getting a separate USD account from another bank, with the proper capabilities. (Apart from maintaining my website nonbeliefism.com along with some other business, that USD account has very little money there, insufficient for proper cloud experimentation)

I am currently working to remedy that scenario.

As for the qimg tag, I don't see any controls on the editor to generate that tag.
Old 1st September 2017, 09:16 PM   #160
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I often refer to the visa card in relation to a USD account, because typically, transactions occur in terms of us dollars.

Anyway, my prior statement holds:

That's baloney. You don't need a USD account to buy stuff online. Claiming that you do is untrue.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology