ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artificial intelligence , consciousness , Edward Witten , Max Tegmark

Old 3rd October 2017, 08:22 AM   #241
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Any intelligent responses w.r.t. to Bengio's paper?
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:22 AM   #242
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Following from (1) and (2), quite literally, babies are good biological examples which can perhaps inspire the construction of artificial general intelligence.
I still have no idea what that means. The fact that you quoted the part I quoted to clarify itself to me doesn't help.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:26 AM   #243
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I still have no idea what that means. The fact that you quoted the part I quoted to clarify itself to me doesn't help.
What words don't you get?
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:31 AM   #244
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I have it on good authority that you are a blathering silly human.

Put that in your sig and suck it.
Ok. Guess I have to defer to ye Gods.

*looks around for a convenient god*

All hail PGJ as our Higher Power! Blessed be His Synonyms.

Previously known as MostlyDead. Felling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:42 AM   #245
fagin
Illuminator

Recall my earlier quote:

Following from (1) and (2), quite literally, babies are good biological examples which can perhaps inspire the construction of artificial general intelligence.

In particular, babies are intelligent agents, and we can use babies' behaviours as a non-trivial basis (a complex working example) that we can use to inspire the construction of smarter and smarter algorithms, that start out somewhat blank (as babies essentially do) and learn over time.
Babies eat (drink?), poo, cry, gurgle, and sleep.

That sounds like a good place to start with your AI.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:43 AM   #246
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Bengio's paper is one thing. You have already inserted your 'paper' in with contrasts highlighted presumably as points of contention. Imma go out on a limb and say you want to talk about your paper and drive up hits. No, thanks.

Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:43 AM   #247
fagin
Illuminator

The problem is not the words, which are quite innocent, but the random forms you put them in, which could cause severe brain damage. That's criminal.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:46 AM   #248
fagin
Illuminator

Does your paper have a narrator? All papers should.

Minnesotabrant can give you some tips if you need them. He's also building a computer which sounds so powerful it'll probably go AI all on it's own. Terminator time.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:48 AM   #249
Thermal
Graduate Poster

The problem is not the words, which are quite innocent, but the random forms you put them in, which could cause severe brain damage. That's criminal.
Commandment the first: Question not PGJ, your God, lest He repost and requote Himself, patiently for those of little brain.

Old 3rd October 2017, 08:51 AM   #250
fagin
Illuminator

Oh noes, I'm all a flutter, amidst and betwixt myself.

My little brain is spinning in a very non trivial way.

Believe me.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:53 AM   #251
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Are we allowed to kitten this thread yet?
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:57 AM   #252
Argumemnon
World Maker

Do you have a memory problem? The issue isn't the words, but the word salad.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:09 AM   #253
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Do you have a memory problem? The issue isn't the words, but the word salad.
I aim to enhance myself.

What don't you get about the simple ordering of the words?
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:09 AM   #254
Argumemnon
World Maker

I aim to enhance myself.
When do you plan on starting?

Quote:
All of it. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 3rd October 2017, 09:15 AM   #255
fagin
Illuminator

Silly human with little brain ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Obviously.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:17 AM   #256
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

When do you plan on starting?
..when I get sensible feedback.

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan
All of it. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Unfortunately, I cannot currently reduce the topic beyond what I have done in prior replies or the OP.

Please consider:

(1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxCHonP6Ro (clear programming tutorials)

(2) https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning (good machine learning tutorial)

(3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pmNdyxEGo (very good youtube deep q learning tutorial)

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 3rd October 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:22 AM   #257
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Unfortunately, I cannot currently reduce the topic beyond what I have done in prior replies or the OP.

Please consider:

(2) https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning (good machine learning tutorial)

(3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pmNdyxEGo (very good youtube deep q learning tutorial)
YouTube tutorials on installing Python and making games? My Lord, we Little BrainsTM parse you not.

Ah, my Lord edited His post as the query was composing itself. Great is Thy hindsight, oh Marvelous Scientist.

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd October 2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:37 AM   #258
fagin
Illuminator

How about something novel.
Like actually just explaining what you are blathering on about, instead of loads of fonts and random links.

Explain, expand, espouse, etc.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:40 AM   #259
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
YouTube tutorials on installing Python and making games? My Lord, we Little BrainsTM parse you not.

Ah, my Lord edited His post as the query was composing itself. Great is Thy hindsight, oh Marvelous Scientist.
The python tutorials are primarily about learning to program in python.

I don't detect any lessons up to the 56'th lesson in "thenewboston's" python series, that directly concerns game making.

Footnote:

Don't be quick to underestimate games though, as games are quite important in the realm of machine learning.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:45 AM   #260
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

How about something novel.
Like actually just explaining what you are blathering on about, instead of loads of fonts and random links.

Explain, expand, espouse, etc.
The OP was designed to explain stuff clearly.

I will have to do some more processing to compute whether a simpler explanation is feasible.

Unfortunately, the best I can do for now is point you to a prior quote:

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan

Please consider:

Old 3rd October 2017, 09:48 AM   #261
Argumemnon
World Maker

Well, there you have it. You've constructed an inassailable ivory tower: you won't improve until you get sensible feedback, but you don't accept feedback because you think you know best.

Old 3rd October 2017, 09:48 AM   #262
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning I have merged the Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence with the thread regarding Bengio's paper and also the earlier Thought Curvature thread, as they are all essentially on the same subject. Please stay on topic and refrain from personalising your posts.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:50 AM   #263
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What's the difference between "supermathematics" and regular mathematics? PGJ uses the term in his title, but he doesn't define or discuss it anywhere.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:53 AM   #264
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Mod Warning I have merged the Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence with the thread regarding Bengio's paper and also the earlier Thought Curvature thread, as they are all essentially on the same subject. Please stay on topic and refrain from personalising your posts.
Posted By:Agatha
Some crucial links in old OP are dead.

Please edit the old OP to include these new links where "Thought curvature" appears.

New replacement link:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ive_hypothesis
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:59 AM   #265
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's the difference between "supermathematics" and regular mathematics? PGJ uses the term in his title, but he doesn't define or discuss it anywhere.
In reply 107, a standard WikiPedia link is clearly provided for the term supermathematics.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:02 AM   #266
halleyscomet
Philosopher

What's wrong with the words in reply 9?
You make a valid point. Human babies, or indeed any living creature capable of learning from experience, are a viable source of inspiration for developing an AI that is itself capable of learning. Indeed, this is the central thesis of a thought provoking video that argues All Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies Are In The Same Terminator Universe

If that is the entirety of your point, then I think the thread has progressed as far as it can. If you have a point beyond that, what is it?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:04 AM   #267
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I am unable to parse your statement.

Could you express it another way?
He is making fun of your ideas by referencing a physical reaction to particularity bad poetry described in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:07 AM   #268
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
You make a valid point. Human babies, or indeed any living creature capable of learning from experience, are a viable source of inspiration for developing an AI that is itself capable of learning. Indeed, this is the central thesis of a thought provoking video that argues All Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies Are In The Same Terminator Universe

If that is the entirety of your point, then I think the thread has progressed as far as it can. If you have a point beyond that, what is it?
The thread was merged, so you may have missed the new thread.

Here is the data from the new thread: https://jordanmicahbennett.github.io...-Intelligence/

In summary, the new thread deals with:

Footnote:

Take all the time you need to understand the above...

And also, babies and physics and machine learning, are regular considerations in not just fiction, but machine learning:

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 3rd October 2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:07 AM   #269
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Some crucial links in old OP are dead.

Please edit the old OP to include these new links where "Thought curvature" appears.

New replacement link:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ive_hypothesis
Oh Great and Wondrous PGJ, parse thusly:

Nononononono. Not once has repeatedly reposting yourself benefited anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Just get on with it without the robot-speak and endless repetition and a discussion just might spring forth, as a lily in the desert.

Old 3rd October 2017, 10:14 AM   #270
halleyscomet
Philosopher

The thread was merged, so you may have missed the new thread.

Here is the data from the new thread: https://jordanmicahbennett.github.io...-Intelligence/

In summary, the new thread deals with:

Take all the time you need to understand...
Why are you bringing this to a skeptic's forum and not one focused on mathematics? I don't post descriptions of my adventures in homebrewing here, nor do I discuss the best ways to culture koji for home sake production. I certainly don't start a discussion on the best .NET methods to use for connecting to SFTP and FTPS servers and the security merits of the two protocols.

Why have you come HERE with this topic?

Have you tried discussing this on forums dedicated to mathematics?
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:21 AM   #271
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Why are you bringing this to a skeptic's forum and not one focused on mathematics? I don't post descriptions of my adventures in homebrewing here, nor do I discuss the best ways to culture koji for home sake production. I certainly don't start a discussion on the best .NET methods to use for connecting to SFTP and FTPS servers and the security merits of the two protocols.

Your question may be rephrased as "Why post scientific matters in a 'Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology' forum?"

I will leave you to imagine the answer to the query above.

Originally Posted by halleyscomet
Yes.

Discussions elsewhere, on Math forums too, have actually lead to some of the descriptions contained in the papers.

Also, discussions on forums that don't specialize in Math, have also helped to make the papers clearer and clearer. (A recent example on this very thread)
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:25 AM   #272
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Perhaps He wants His musings reviewed with a skeptical eye. He is certainly getting that. In spades.

Old 3rd October 2017, 10:31 AM   #273
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Perhaps He wants His musings reviewed with a skeptical eye. He is certainly getting that. In spades.
Hardly any sensible feedback though...
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:36 AM   #274
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Please, elaborate. Give examples.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:39 AM   #275
Thermal
Graduate Poster

There ya go! Coherent wording, no repetition or linking the same things over and over. Keep up the good work and you'll engage serious discussion in no time!

Old 3rd October 2017, 10:40 AM   #276
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Please, elaborate. Give examples.
Don't encourage Him. We're making headway.

Old 3rd October 2017, 10:43 AM   #277
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Your question may be rephrased as "Why post scientific matters in a 'Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology' forum?"

I will leave you to imagine the answer to the query above.
That was a legalistic dodge, not an answer. It does however tell me far more about your intentions here than I think you intended to reveal. Thank you for tipping your hand so blatantly and obviously.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:52 AM   #278
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It is beyond belief that this continues.

How anyone can think that a spamfest of copypasta convinces anyone of anything is incomprehensible.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:56 AM   #279
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned

That was a legalistic dodge, not an answer. It does however tell me far more about your intentions here than I think you intended to reveal. Thank you for tipping your hand so blatantly and obviously.
I don't know what you are on about, but my intentions are not hidden; and I've gone "as far" as to include a "What is the goal?" section in a github url in the new OP.

Intention pretty clear there.
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:10 AM   #280
barehl
Master Poster

My take on it is that he's saying that you can create estimates of probability using Bayesian statistics for separate abstract elements. Then you can combine the estimates to form a stronger prediction about the environment for a given intelligent agent. In Bayesian statistics a diffuse prior only provides vague predictions and therefore isn't very useful. His suggestion is that you can combine diffuse priors to make a much stronger prediction.

He seems to be trying to solve the problem of an intelligent agent acting within an environment without sufficient information about the environment. This is an ongoing problem with AI and machine learning. He seems to see this as a pattern matching problem which is why he refers to recurrent neural networks.

None of that is so bad, but after that it pretty much falls apart. He suggests that this mechanism would be useful for awareness and consciousness. He shows misunderstanding of focus and seems to believe the language of thought theory. For example, if you did try to use his structure for awareness you would fall into the Frame problem. Maybe he isn't aware of it. His notion about focus is ludicrous since it could give you a random, divergent, or convergent process. This is a common problem with bottom up approaches. To date there has been no supporting evidence for a language of thought other than that it goes along with computational theory.

That's my opinion about it. In other words, he might well be able to make a contribution to Bayesian statistics but I don't see this as advancing AI in the least.

Last edited by barehl; 3rd October 2017 at 11:13 AM.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology