ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , James Alex Fields , protest incidents , racism incidents , terrorism incidents

Old 12th October 2017, 11:14 AM   #481
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I literally did tell you.
Right, you masqueraded your opinion as fact. That's very, very "skeptical" of you.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 11:17 AM   #482
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Right, you masqueraded your opinion as fact. That's very, very "skeptical" of you.
I masquerade nothing. Adults do not write, "my opinion is..." It is poor writing. If you are stating an opinion, it is obvious it is your opinion.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:31 PM   #483
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I masquerade nothing. Adults do not write, "my opinion is..." It is poor writing. If you are stating an opinion, it is obvious it is your opinion.
Adults....right. Is the air thinner up there on your 50 foot tall, high horse of semantics? Do "adults" try and score internet points on semantic, ******** topics? I'm asking for a friend.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 04:55 PM   #484
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Adults....right. Is the air thinner up there on your 50 foot tall, high horse of semantics? Do "adults" try and score internet points on semantic, ******** topics? I'm asking for a friend.
Show us on the doll...

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:02 PM   #485
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

*shrug* I'd even admit to that being the case to me. I have no issues embracing my bias though. That's always been funny to me, as "skeptics" we aren't supposed to condone or forgive violence against people who want other people dead for nothing more than the color of their skin because...skeptic.

**** Nazi's. All of them. I don't have to accept them because Freedom of Speech exists, but I do believe if you do the crime then you should be held accountable for it. Either way though, never feel bad for punching a nazi in the mouth.
Or running them off a bridge in a park......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:10 PM   #486
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Show us on the doll...

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Seems like a valid question to me. I don't get how swearing = mad. I swear all of the time, and I'm almost never mad.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Or running them off a bridge in a park......
Seems a bit much.

Old 12th October 2017, 06:14 PM   #487
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Seems a bit much.
Blues Brothers reference.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:23 PM   #488
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

*shrug* I'd even admit to that being the case to me. I have no issues embracing my bias though. That's always been funny to me, as "skeptics" we aren't supposed to condone or forgive violence against people who want other people dead for nothing more than the color of their skin because...skeptic.

**** Nazi's. All of them. I don't have to accept them because Freedom of Speech exists, but I do believe if you do the crime then you should be held accountable for it. Either way though, never feel bad for punching a nazi in the mouth.
Your personal ethics is one thing.

But this debate among skeptics is not a philosophical one about how laws and ethics should be. Instead, we were figuring out what the objective facts are about the Charlottesville events: 1. What did, in fact, happen (who punched whom, who started what, did anybody cry...)? 2. Were any of the actions in fact illegal, criminal according to applicable law? You cannot very well deny that before the law, nazis enjoy the same protections as anybody else. You cannot, in fact, legally punch a nazi in the face just so, even if you personally find this moral.

I am sure you know and understand all of this somewhere on a rational level - where skepticism shines.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #489
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

But this debate among skeptics is not a philosophical one about how laws and ethics should be. Instead, we were figuring out what the objective facts are about the Charlottesville events: 1. What did, in fact, happen (who punched whom, who started what, did anybody cry...)? 2. Were any of the actions in fact illegal, criminal according to applicable law? You cannot very well deny that before the law, nazis enjoy the same protections as anybody else. You cannot, in fact, legally punch a nazi in the face just so, even if you personally find this moral.

I am sure you know and understand all of this somewhere on a rational level - where skepticism shines.
This conversation, and the questions you're stating now, were answered at the latest on the last page. I'd say when Mead posted that no one could tell if Harris hit the Nazi, it was done...over done. Then it devolved into arguing with racists. Perhaps, in all our shining skepticism, you couldn't recognize a dead thread? By all means, don't let me interfere in this skeptical debate.

Old 12th October 2017, 07:40 PM   #490
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Black man beaten in Charlottesville far-right rally charged

Originally Posted by BBC
A black man who was beaten at a far-right rally in Virginia has turned himself in to be formally charged in connection with the incident.

DeAndre Harris, who is accused of unlawful wounding at the 12 August Charlottesville protest, was released on an unsecured bond. [...]
Old 12th October 2017, 07:55 PM   #491
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

Exactly. And while it may not be critical or anything, I am really finding it interesting to see what sort of details can be found in multiple videos.

For example, yesterday I questioned the source of the staff held by the man in the pink shirt. He would eventually swing it at Harold Crews. It was in fact a flagpole. I had seen several copies of clips showing the burning of a confederate battle flag during the protests. Who is holding it? The man in the pink shirt. And what is used to ignite the flag? Corey Long's flamesprayer. The staff is in fact the remnants of that flag, which was presumably some sort of spoils of war captured from the alt-right.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 11:17 AM   #492
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Corey Long has now been charged. He was charged with disorderly conduct in the flamesprayer incident, and with assault and battery in what the article I read called "a separate incident". In the videos I saw of the parking garage skirmish, I didn't see anything Long did other than try to steal a confederate flag, so I don't know if the charges sprang from that incident or some other incident that day.
Old 16th October 2017, 04:07 PM   #493
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Interesting lack of discussion involving the car crash...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 07:43 AM   #494
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Interesting lack of discussion involving the car crash...
Do you find that somehow surprising? Pretty much every even semi-political thread on the board has gone the same way.
Old 17th October 2017, 06:16 PM   #495
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'll take future Charlottesville related issues to the other Charlottesville thread, but this little bit of news just in is indeed related to the car crash.

Heather Heyer died of blunt force trauma to the chest.

http://www.newsweek.com/charlottesvi...-report-686471

Sorry all you jerks out in internet land that thought she just was a bit out of shape. It turns out she died from being hit by a car.

ETA: The source doesn't necessarily say she was hit by a car. Just blunt force trauma to the chest. It's possible she was hit by something, or someone, who was hit by a car. I suppose there are even other scenarios that are slightly different, but, one way or another, it was the neo-Nazi dude that killed her. Not a heart attack. Not chain smoking.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 17th October 2017 at 06:20 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics