ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 12th October 2017, 12:17 PM   #1521
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It would be kind of messed up if Mueller exonerated Trump but a democratic majority went for impeachment.
First of all, I assume you are talking about a hypothetical "democratic majority", since they are obviously in the minority in congress.

Secondly, it wouldn't exactly be "messed up", depending on what basis was used for impeachment. Mueller is investigating one main aspect... Trump and his Russian ties. However, there are other areas where impeachment might be possible, most notably the emolument's clause. This clause prevents a president from profiting from foreign governments, something that trump is accused of due to his current ownership of various properties (including Trump hotels that host foreign guests.) The emolument clause is a separate investigation and as far as I know, not being investigated by Mueller at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/emol...stitution.html

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:18 PM   #1522
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
John Kelly, apologizer in chief, lying his way through a press conference right now pretending Trump is a great POTUS.
Yes. Not noble warrior but lickspittle lapdog.

Anyone who claims that Kelly is doing this for the good of the country is IMO full of it and/or in denial.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:30 PM   #1523
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
First of all, I assume you are talking about a hypothetical "democratic majority", since they are obviously in the minority in congress.

Secondly, it wouldn't exactly be "messed up", depending on what basis was used for impeachment. Mueller is investigating one main aspect... Trump and his Russian ties. However, there are other areas where impeachment might be possible, most notably the emolument's clause. This clause prevents a president from profiting from foreign governments, something that trump is accused of due to his current ownership of various properties (including Trump hotels that host foreign guests.) The emolument clause is a separate investigation and as far as I know, not being investigated by Mueller at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/emol...stitution.html
His investigation has no real restriction on it and he can look to anything that comes up. I he stumbled upon bribery, he could look at that. He has looked at some financial information. If he exonerated Trump on that dimension, we would be talking about impeachment over gifts that did not influence government behavior. I don't know if they would want to do that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #1524
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Another day, another outrage.

“President Donald Trump raged at the media Wednesday, saying in the Oval Office, “It’s frankly disgusting the press is able to write whatever they want to write.” He added, “People should look into it.””
For any Spanish speakers, I found a part of a speech he could use to announce that he's doing something about it.

Originally Posted by Another president with media problems
¡Ipsofacto sale del aire! ¡De inmediato sale del aire y se le quita la concesión que tienen para estar transmitiendo! ¡Televisión o radio que viole la ley se le quitará la concesión! ¡Yo no estoy mamando gallo!
Unfortunately the original speaker is no longer with us, so The Donald can't ask him for advice.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:48 PM   #1525
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It would be kind of messed up if Mueller exonerated Trump but a democratic majority went for impeachment. I think they are going to stick to a "high crimes" rather than terrible at the job.
You can't impeach a President for being terrible at the job;there has to be deliberate wrongdoing of some kind or another.
That being said, Congress has a wide choice of things that consititute high crimes or misdemeanors;the humorous way of saying this is Congress could impeach the President for eating a cheese sanwhich if they wanted to.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th October 2017 at 12:51 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:50 PM   #1526
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Quote:
Mueller is investigating one main aspect... Trump and his Russian ties. However, there are other areas where impeachment might be possible, most notably the emolument's clause.
His investigation has no real restriction on it and he can look to anything that comes up. I he stumbled upon bribery, he could look at that. He has looked at some financial information.
Just because Mueller can expand his investigations, it doesn't necessarily mean he will expand them, or even would be expected to investigate everything. Mueller may be a great investigator, but he's not omnipotent.

So once again, even if Trump is not found criminally responsible for ties to Russia, it does not mean that there wouldn't be rational reasons for impeaching him over other issues not covered by Mueller.

That's the problem when you have a president as corrupt as Trump.... there are so many ways that he can fail.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:01 PM   #1527
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Just because Mueller can expand his investigations, it doesn't necessarily mean he will expand them, or even would be expected to investigate everything. Mueller may be a great investigator, but he's not omnipotent.

So once again, even if Trump is not found criminally responsible for ties to Russia, it does not mean that there wouldn't be rational reasons for impeaching him over other issues not covered by Mueller.

That's the problem when you have a president as corrupt as Trump.... there are so many ways that he can fail.
I included financial malfeasance in my exonerated example but I understand what you are saying.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:25 PM   #1528
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
And I can win Powerball on Saturday!
Your odds of finding the winning ticket on the ground are higher than Republicans finding their spine and removing the mentally unfit man from office.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:28 PM   #1529
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Very poor results from the 2018 election, or the conclusion of Mueller's investigation implicating Trump are the only things that might finish Trump.

We're stuck for at least a year
Have you seen the man's diet? Don't rule out a stroke or massive heart attack.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:38 PM   #1530
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can't impeach a President for being terrible at the job;there has to be deliberate wrongdoing of some kind or another.
There is no constitutional authority, I think, to police what you can or can't impeach a President over. You can impeach a President for whatever you make work politically, which might well include some veneer of wrongdoing. Unless you're saying that the Supreme Court could weigh in if a President was impeached and some lawsuit brought because the terms of the impeachment were improper?

Not sure where you got the standard of deliberateness. I think that word does not appear in the Constitution in the section on impeachment; is there a Supreme Court ruling somewhere that means deliberateness?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:41 PM   #1531
Bob001
Philosopher

That being said, Congress has a wide choice of things that consititute high crimes or misdemeanors;the humorous way of saying this is Congress could impeach the President for eating a cheese sanwhich if they wanted to.
Failure to faithfully execute his duties and defend the Constitution would certainly qualify. Conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin thinks we're getting there:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.6453a0a138ed
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:12 PM   #1532
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wouldn't that be the most beautiful chocolate cake.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:18 PM   #1533
Arcade22
Illuminator

I'll point out that it has been just three weeks since Puerto Rico has been, in Trumps own words, been "completely destroyed".

The fact that he brings up the specter of ceasing federal support at this point is not just extremely callus but by tying the federal response to the pre-existing debt problem just hammers the fact that he doesn't care about the people suffering there right now. It's as if they don't deserve help because their previously elected government had run up a debt problem.

This wouldn't have happened if it was Florida that was totally destroyed.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 12th October 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #1534
Arcade22
Illuminator

Really? As i recalled what was considered an "impeachable offence" was an entirely political question.

Gerald Ford certainly thought so:
Quote:
An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history; conviction results from whatever offense or offenses two-thirds of the other body considers to be sufficiently serious to require removal of the accused from office.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 12th October 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:23 PM   #1535
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The killer in the 25th Admendment is that it does not have be the Cabinent that removes the President.it can also be "of such other body as Congress may by law provide, ".
In other words, the Congress can pass a law, create a group. and remove the POTUS.
They could honour the flag by calling it the Star Chamber. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Chamber

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:38 PM   #1536
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

If something such happens, out-of-the-blue, to the fittest President ever it'll go some way towards restoring my faith in the deep state.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 12th October 2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:40 PM   #1537
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
If something such happens, out-of-the-blue, to the fittest President ever it'll go some way towards restoring my faith in the deep state.
Cardiovascular disease is not the deep state.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:45 PM   #1538
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'll point out that it has been just three weeks since Puerto Rico has been, in Trumps own words, been "completely destroyed".

The fact that he brings up the specter of ceasing federal support at this point is not just extremely callus but by tying the federal response to the pre-existing debt problem just hammers the fact that he doesn't care about the people suffering there right now. It's as if they don't deserve help because their previously elected government had run up a debt problem.

This wouldn't have happened if it was Florida that was totally destroyed.
I am one of the people not in favor of rebuilding New Orleans. Obviously Trump is not an Avatar for any idea. There are reasons not to rebuild.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:00 PM   #1539
Stacko
Philosopher

Why isn't Trump celebrating this terrorist plot being foiled?

Quote:
A man planted a Mason jar filled with explosive chemicals and nails at a western North Carolina airport last week and vowed to "fight a war on U.S. soil," according to court documents released Tuesday.

The criminal complaint written by an FBI agent said investigators found the improvised explosive device Friday morning at the Asheville airport near a terminal entrance. Asheville police bomb technicians then rendered it safe.

The complaint accuses Michael Christopher Estes of attempted malicious use of explosive materials and unlawful possession of explosives at an airport.

Estes was arrested Saturday, and the complaint says he admitted leaving the explosive device at the airport. The complaint states that Estes "claimed he was getting ready to 'fight a war on U.S. soil,'" but didn't elaborate on this alleged motive.
They stopped a man that wanted to fight a war on US soil. Isn't that what he promised to stop?
Old 12th October 2017, 03:12 PM   #1540
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Why isn't Trump celebrating this terrorist plot being foiled?

They stopped a man that wanted to fight a war on US soil. Isn't that what he promised to stop?
Wrong Carolina. You starts wars against the US in South Carolina. Preferably Charlestion.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:40 PM   #1541
The_Animus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I would add a serious international crisis being massively mishandled by Trump, risking or even costing US lives by blundering.
Maybe, though if the handling of Puerto Rico wasn't enough I'm not sure what would. Maybe a million South Koreans dying from Trump provoking North Korea would do it.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:41 PM   #1542
The_Animus
Master Poster

Good point. I forgot about that possibility.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:41 PM   #1543
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Cardiovascular disease is not the deep state.
What appears to be cardiovascular disease could be the deep state, though.

Old 12th October 2017, 03:58 PM   #1544
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Seems as though we now have a sort of link between the Groper In Chief and Hollywood's most infamous Groper, and the link is named Steve Bannon:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...vey-weinstein/

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:59 PM   #1545
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well thank goodness that neither of those states have any debt

I know, right?

Check out this madness: Trump seems ready to pull aid from Puerto Rico. He took a different tone with Texas and Florida.
"TEXAS: We are with you today, we are with you tomorrow, and we will be with you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to restore, recover, and REBUILD," he wrote.
To Florida:
"Just like TX, WE are w/you today, we are w/you tomorrow, & we will be w/you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to RESTORE, RECOVER, & REBUILD," he wrote.
Either Trump 1) doesn't realize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens, 2) doesn't care because they can't vote for or against him, or 3) figures the bulk of his supporters don't know or don't care, so he uses the situation to make himself look tough.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 12th October 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 04:09 PM   #1546
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I know, right?

Check out this madness: Trump seems ready to pull aid from Puerto Rico. He took a different tone with Texas and Florida.
"TEXAS: We are with you today, we are with you tomorrow, and we will be with you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to restore, recover, and REBUILD," he wrote.
To Florida:
"Just like TX, WE are w/you today, we are w/you tomorrow, & we will be w/you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to RESTORE, RECOVER, & REBUILD," he wrote.
Either Trump 1) doesn't realize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens, 2) doesn't care because they can't vote for or against him, or 3) figures the bulk of his supporters don't know or don't care, so he uses the situation to make himself look tough.
Google tells me:
Texas debt: 59.4 million
Florida: 23.6 million
PR: 70 billion

So yeah, billion is much more bigly than million, so it is justified.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:11 PM   #1547
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I know, right?

To Florida:
FLASHBACK. Trump on October 6: "We will not rest until that job is done... We will be there all the time to help Puerto Rico recover."
It's probably a combination of 2 & 3. There's also no easy win in Puerto Rico and it's only going to get him bad press so he wants to bail thinking that will stop the press.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:33 PM   #1548
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Google tells me:
Texas debt: 59.4 million
Florida: 23.6 million
PR: 70 billion

So yeah, billion is much more bigly than million, so it is justified.
The Puerto Rican debt is something special. Perhaps they should just go bankrupt : Trump could hardly criticise them for that.

Which is not to say he wouldn't, of course.

Old 12th October 2017, 04:37 PM   #1549
Stacko
Philosopher

The Puerto Rican debt is something special. Perhaps they should just go bankrupt : Trump could hardly criticise them for that.

Which is not to say he wouldn't, of course.
States and territories are not allowed to declare bankruptcy.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:43 PM   #1550
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mr. Super Patriot shows proper respect for the flag:

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/tru...for-you-or-me/

The mind boggles at the hypocrisy.

If you are within sight or earshot of the retreat ceremony and are in the military, you stop and salute and are silent, period. The POTUS should set an example.God, what a turd.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th October 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:16 PM   #1551
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Mr. Super Patriot shows proper respect for the flag:

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/tru...for-you-or-me/

The mind boggles at the hypocrisy.

If you are within sight or earshot of the retreat ceremony and are in the military, you stop and salute and are silent, period. The POTUS should set an example.God, what a turd.
“President Donald Trump clearly had no clue” Now there is a line that will be popping up for writers in auto suggest .
Old 12th October 2017, 05:33 PM   #1552
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Donnie would not have lasted one week in the real military.

And I might be way too generous in the time I allotted him....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:41 PM   #1553
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Donnie would not have lasted one week in the real military.

And I might be way too generous in the time I allotted him....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgAbgEjMG0
"This is the Army, Mr Jones".

Old 12th October 2017, 05:46 PM   #1554
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

States and territories are not allowed to declare bankruptcy.
An executive order should get around that.

Old 12th October 2017, 06:38 PM   #1555
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgAbgEjMG0
"This is the Army, Mr Jones".
That song was written in 1942 but it still perfectly describes basic training the US Army nowdays,..and probably every other Army on earth.

"This is the Army Me Green, we like our barracks nice and clean".....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #1556
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argumemnon
You just don't understand. The tax cuts ARE America taking care of its own... its own rich people.

It’s a fairly limited constituency but large fan base the GOP has.
"Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."

Last edited by quadraginta; 12th October 2017 at 07:29 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:51 PM   #1557
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Trump's ignorance about the economy:

Trump just claimed stock market gains actually offset national debt.
Quote:
In a Wednesday evening interview, President Donald Trump suggested that recent stock market gains were helping to reduce the national debt
The two measures — private sector valuations and public debt — have no obvious correlation, and both actually grew markedly during the Obama administration
Then there is the absolute lie the GOP is telling that businesses which save money on taxes will pass the savings on to employees.

We need to get these idiots out of office before the country implodes.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:00 PM   #1558
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good evening. It only gets worse....
Breaking News - Story Developing
White House says it cannot lawfully pay subsidies to health insurance companies under President Obama's health care law
Oct 12, 2017
https://www.apnews.com

Blatant move to destroy the ACA.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 12th October 2017 at 08:02 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:31 PM   #1559
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They speak Spanish and are therefore rapists and murderers. And some, I assume, are good people.
But their legs ... like melons.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 08:42 PM   #1560
SezMe
post-pre-born

That's where the smart money is.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics