ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 28th August 2017, 08:29 AM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Agree.

The partisans and ideologues will continue to nitpick and find fault no matter what he does.

I still think it weakens their case, and they should keep their powder dry for the numerous real outrages that come along on a daily basis.
"Shhh, don't tell Trump." FEMA is one accomplishment of Obama (whose appointment repaired all of the Heck-of-a-job Brownie damage) that Trump had not yet reversed.

Now Trump will claim a victory. Maybe there will be one, maybe not. We'll see. There is still time for Trump to mess something up. He's likely to act his usual baby self when the news media shifts to focus on Trump's reversal of flood protection requirements of infrastructure building.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th August 2017 at 08:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 11:09 AM   #162
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To me the scariest thing about Trump is his obsession with being seen as tough and macho. He is willing to support just about anything a law enforcement official does because it makes him look "tough". And I am convinced Trump's tough guy obsession will lead us into a new war.What is just as bad, I think he he thinks that showing compassion and mercy ...except for one of his supporters...makes him look "weak". A true fascist mentality.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 12:58 PM   #163
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
"Shhh, don't tell Trump." FEMA is one accomplishment of Obama (whose appointment repaired all of the Heck-of-a-job Brownie damage) that Trump had not yet reversed.

Now Trump will claim a victory. Maybe there will be one, maybe not. We'll see. There is still time for Trump to mess something up. He's likely to act his usual baby self when the news media shifts to focus on Trump's reversal of flood protection requirements of infrastructure building.
It bothers me that it felt like a relief that all the reporting on the catastrophe that is Hurricane Harvey pushed The PDJT off the news for almost 24 full hours.
Old 28th August 2017, 01:49 PM   #164
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I'll drop it here... Trump is rolling back Obama Administration restrictions on the militarization (gear-wise) of local police. Because...I actually don't know. I am sure the Fox pundits will all say that since Chicago is a ''war zone'' that gear built for is needed. But is it? Me thinks we shall see Ferguson and the overreaction of the camo-clad officers replayed a zillion more times.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/politi...ted/index.html
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 02:48 PM   #165
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump on why he pardoned Arpaio Friday night during #Harvey "I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they were normally."
What a disgusting excuse for a human being.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 02:57 PM   #166
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The tweet does not seem to give a source.
Old 28th August 2017, 03:42 PM   #167
Stacko
Philosopher

The tweet does not seem to give a source.
Here's the video.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 03:42 PM   #168
The_Animus
Master Poster

A parody song about Trump

Confounds the Science - (Parody of) Sound of Silence

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 03:43 PM   #169
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

It's a topsy-turvy world. Lord knows I can no longer tell a Poe.
Old 28th August 2017, 03:46 PM   #170
Stacko
Philosopher

It's a topsy-turvy world. Lord knows I can no longer tell a Poe.
Just accept he's entered the Tyson Zone.
Old 28th August 2017, 04:25 PM   #171
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
A parody song about Trump

Confounds the Science - (Parody of) Sound of Silence

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
So good. And sad.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 11:02 PM   #172
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
To the average European reader, the idea that the head of FEMA would be a political post that is appointed by every president anew is ludicrous; the idea that the head of the (federal) police, the FBI, would be a political post likewise. AFAIK, all over Europe and in other democratic countries, the same applies as in the UK: only a few dozen ministers are appointed by a new government, and the rest, the civil servants, are simply career professionals who remain at their post and outlast governments.
That's interesting. But isn't the other side of the stability coin indolence and/or apathy? How is that dealt with in Europe?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 11:04 PM   #173
SezMe
post-pre-born

I still think it weakens their case, and they should keep their powder dry for the numerous real outrages that come along on a daily basis.
Ya lost me. What case?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 11:08 PM   #174
SezMe
post-pre-born

Not diminishing the "historic" flooding in Texas at all. But for "historic" to have any meaning requires some sense of history.
I guess a 500-year event is not "historic" in your book. While the death toll might not exceed previous events, the damage loss and time to recover (because of the extreme size of the area affected) will certainly be "historic".
Old 28th August 2017, 11:11 PM   #175
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I'll drop it here... Trump is rolling back Obama Administration restrictions on the militarization (gear-wise) of local police. Because...I actually don't know. I am sure the Fox pundits will all say that since Chicago is a ''war zone'' that gear built for is needed. But is it? Me thinks we shall see Ferguson and the overreaction of the camo-clad officers replayed a zillion more times.

I think it is clearly explained in the post immediately before yours.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:44 PM   #176
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

It's as if President Trump wants to erase President Obama from the record.

The GOP's response to a rise in neo-Nazi, Racist and white supremacist activity is to return to turning the police (who have often at best demonstrated a lack of empathy with those opposing neo-Nazis, Racists and white supremacists and at worst seem to side with the neo-Nazis, Racists and white supremacists) into a paramilitary force.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 12:02 AM   #177
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It would be in line with his other efforts, like getting out of TPP and the Paris Agreement, repealing Affordable Care Act ('Obamacare') and the transgender ban. TPP and the Paris Agreement might have marginal ideological support and repealing Obamacare has been a Republican talking point for a long time, but there is no such reason at all for the transgender ban in the military.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 29th August 2017 at 12:03 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 12:14 AM   #178
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To me the scariest thing about Trump is his obsession with being seen as tough and macho. He is willing to support just about anything a law enforcement official does because it makes him look "tough". And I am convinced Trump's tough guy obsession will lead us into a new war.What is just as bad, I think he he thinks that showing compassion and mercy ...except for one of his supporters...makes him look "weak". A true fascist mentality.
True. There is one more point, by going to war somewhere he could rally support behind himself in order to give him a shot at remaining the President for four more years.

Alarmingly, there is a war which could be justified and perhaps wouldn't even need Congressional authorization: North Korea. There was never a peace treaty signed, just an armistice, which North Korea repudiated back in 2013.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/11/wo...ice/index.html

A preemprive strike at North Korean sites could legally be interpreted as a continuation of the conflict and UN intervention from 1950. He could even take the moral high ground.

McHrozni
Old 29th August 2017, 02:35 AM   #179
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
<snip>

A preemprive strike at North Korean sites could legally be interpreted as a continuation of the conflict and UN intervention from 1950. He could even take the moral high ground.

McHrozni

He'd need high ground to stay above all the bodies piled up in Seoul.
Old 29th August 2017, 03:13 AM   #180
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The GOP's response to a rise in neo-Nazi, Racist and white supremacist activity is to return to turning the police (who have often at best demonstrated a lack of empathy with those opposing neo-Nazis, Racists and white supremacists and at worst seem to side with the neo-Nazis, Racists and white supremacists) into a paramilitary force.
Of course, to the GOP the nazi's are the good guys.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 03:15 AM   #181
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course, to the GOP the nazi's are the good guys.
If you'd said this a couple of years ago I'd have accused you of hyperbole - now not so much
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 03:38 AM   #182
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

If you'd said this a couple of years ago I'd have accused you of hyperbole - now not so much
It is what they get for choosing a leader who when called a nazi you never know if it was intended as an insult or compliment. They have gotten so much less subtle.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 04:19 AM   #183
Stacko
Philosopher

Remember when this was considered a Presidential scandal three years ago. Seems so quaint now.
Old 29th August 2017, 04:48 AM   #184
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Ya lost me. What case?
The "case" can be...

Trump is a bad president...

...or, Trump is a bad person...

...or, Trump says a lot of stupid things...

...or, Trump does a lot of stupid or harmful things.

Or any combination of the above.

We certainly have seen that case/those cases made repeatedly on this forum.

One hopes for at least some level of objectivity on a skeptic's forum.

My point was that legitimate criticisms, of which there are many, are watered down when every single action or inaction or statement is criticized out of the box. I thought it was inappropriate when the right did it to Obama, and I think it's inappropriate now.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:01 AM   #185
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Remember when this was considered a Presidential scandal three years ago. Seems so quaint now.
At least trump will never wear a suit that fits him that well.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:51 AM   #186
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
At least trump will never wear a suit that fits him that well.
or a proper-length tie.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:33 AM   #187
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I doubt the bodies will have been Trump supporters so why should he be concerned about them?
Old 29th August 2017, 06:37 AM   #188
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I doubt the bodies will have been Trump supporters so why should he be concerned about them?

If they are piled too high around him it will block him from camera view.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:48 AM   #189
Stacko
Philosopher

If they are piled too high around him it will block him from camera view.
If it's not on Fox, would President Goldfish even know it happened?
Old 29th August 2017, 07:21 AM   #190
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

His supporters see that as a plus. Why should he watch all the fake news on the other networks?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:34 AM   #191
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

The "case" can be...

Trump is a bad president...
...or, Trump is a bad person...
...or, Trump says a lot of stupid things...
...or, Trump does a lot of stupid or harmful things.
Or any combination of the above.

We certainly have seen that case/those cases made repeatedly on this forum.
One hopes for at least some level of objectivity on a skeptic's forum.

My point was that legitimate criticisms, of which there are many, are watered down when every single action or inaction or statement is criticized out of the box. I thought it was inappropriate when the right did it to Obama, and I think it's inappropriate now.
I don't necessarily disagree, but where do you draw a line about what's legitimate and what isn't. Wherever you do, people will disagree.

What might seem like the most innocuous of Trump comments to one person might, from another point of view, be yet another piece chipped away from the cornerstone of the US' democracy. If Trump continues making what he considers 'harmless' embellishments, which a lot of people would call lies, should those just be accepted and not discussed? He makes so many of them that I can understand that the continual moaning about it will become monotonous, but does that mean they're not legitimate complaints?

You make a comparison with the Republicans and Obama, but can you honestly say that Obama behaved in any way even remotely resembling what we're seeing in this administration?

Yes, there have been some ridiculous criticisms of Trump. The steak/ketchup thing. Or criticisms about his suit/tie. Most of the other issues raised about him, imo, not irrelevant.

Is it possible that you're just finding the deluge of criticism against him irritating? Of all the complaints about him on this board, roughly what percentage do you feel are not valid?
Old 29th August 2017, 08:37 AM   #192
Segnosaur
Philosopher

The partisans and ideologues will continue to nitpick and find fault no matter what he does.

Well, given the fact that the right wing seemed to complain about Obama and Clinton constantly (even stuff they didn't do), and they managed to get their racist into the whitehouse, perhaps constant complaining isn't as unproductive as you might think.

And keep in mind that there have been times when criticism of Trump was muted. For example, his first speech to congress was generally seen as well done, even by his foes, with suggestions that it was a "turning point" and trump would finally be acting presidential.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 09:10 AM   #193
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I think that's an accurate assumption of part of his agenda. To be fair to Trump, that's an agenda shared by a good hunk of the GOP.

He won't need much high ground. I doubt his voting base will care about a few million South Korean deaths. I know people who think South Korea and North Korea share a government and refuse to believe otherwise. I'm sure they'll cheer about south Korean deaths, thinking we're killing Communists.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 11:59 AM   #194
Stacko
Philosopher

“What a crowd, what a turnout,” Trump said from atop this firetruck, addressing hurricane victims.
Uggh. Does he have to step on his dick at every opportunity?
Old 29th August 2017, 12:05 PM   #195
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think his secret deal with Putin is to see which one of the two can be the biggest asshat.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 12:13 PM   #196
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Did he ask to pretend to drive the fire truck?
Old 29th August 2017, 12:38 PM   #197
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How else is he supposed to steal the spotlight from the victims and make it all about him? That was seriously presidential, for at least republican values of presidential.
Old 29th August 2017, 12:55 PM   #198
Spindrift

I'll bet his staff is relieved it's a big crowd.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...120835370.html

Quote:
Donald Trump has sacked one of his long-term aides because of the small crowd numbers at a rally in Phoenix, Arizona.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 12:59 PM   #199
Spindrift

With the ratings that the flood is getting I wonder who Trump will pardon next? Bernie Madoff?
Old 29th August 2017, 01:02 PM   #200
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
With the ratings that the flood is getting I wonder who Trump will pardon next? Bernie Madoff?
Michael Flynn so he can get back into the administration.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics