ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 02:28 PM   #241
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Continuing predictions that Trump will quit.

But when Trump throws in the towel, it will be a terrific towel! Best towel ever! We will make some 50 000 copies to sell, but not through Amazon because Trump hates Amazon.
And then he'll go into a target-rich real estate and building environment. Say, Texas.
Old 30th August 2017, 03:41 PM   #242
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
To be fair, the wall has been flying seriously low under the radar, albeit with the occasional blip over who's going to pay for it. I wouldn't be surprised if your average, reasonably informed American thought that too had stalled somewhere in Congress.
If there are going to complain about something there should get their facts straight. Then again facts have never stood in the way of a good argument from the right.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #243
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I see the Donald make a big impression on the Finns this week.

First he mistook one Finnish reporter for another and told her she had already asked a question.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/f40b8ff...takes-one.html

Then he says that the Finns are buying large amounts of Boeing fighter jets. The Finns are looking to buy fighters but they have just started the process. I'm sure the Finns will remember this weak-ass 'negotiation' and other aircraft manufacturers are quite happy with Trump's ham-handedness. (Mini-hams though they may be.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-comments.html
I'm not sure that the assumed close has been an historically effective sales method in major arms deals between nation states
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:47 PM   #244
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Agreed that's what he said he'd do. Not agreed that that's actually something he will do....
... or even wants to do. While he mutters "American First" he, in fact, does nothing to really improve job numbers. Certainly economic policy is WAY over his head. I'm not convinced jobs is something he even cares about.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:55 PM   #245
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Will Trump stop being such a big pussy and fire this guy [Mattis] who's openly contradicting him? Trump as President should have the last word on government policy.
Or when will Mattis and/or Tillerison get so fed up with the Orange Turd that they jump ship. I think that is more likely than Trump doing his "YOU'RE FIRED" routine.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:10 AM   #246
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Or when will Mattis and/or Tillerison get so fed up with the Orange Turd that they jump ship. I think that is more likely than Trump doing his "YOU'RE FIRED" routine.
I'm not sure they will jump ship.

They are party loyalists who are wedded to a right-wing America-first agenda. As has been pointed out by various people in this thread, Twitter rants and Mexican wall aside, President Trump is adhering to a pretty conventional right wing agenda. They are probably at the peak of their political careers - they are unlikely to get a more senior post - and are unlikely to throw that away IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:35 AM   #247
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not sure they will jump ship.

They are party loyalists who are wedded to a right-wing America-first agenda. As has been pointed out by various people in this thread, Twitter rants and Mexican wall aside, President Trump is adhering to a pretty conventional right wing agenda. They are probably at the peak of their political careers - they are unlikely to get a more senior post - and are unlikely to throw that away IMO.
In my opinion it depends greatly on what their relationship with Trump is. He gives the apperance of wanting only yes-men in his service. If his relationsihp to those guys is different or they're fine being mere yes-men or if the apperance is wrong they will stay, if not they'll go.

I know this isn't a relevation, but my point is that we have to little information to say either way with any great certainty.

McHrozni
Old 31st August 2017, 02:07 AM   #248
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
In my opinion it depends greatly on what their relationship with Trump is. He gives the apperance of wanting only yes-men in his service. If his relationsihp to those guys is different or they're fine being mere yes-men or if the apperance is wrong they will stay, if not they'll go.

I know this isn't a relevation, but my point is that we have to little information to say either way with any great certainty.

McHrozni
They're senior members of a GOP administration. Given the lack of opposition to President Trump in general, and the despicably mild response to his support for neo-Nazis, white supremacists and racists in particular - I think it's a good first order approximation to say that anyone senior in the GOP is a yes-person.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 03:16 AM   #249
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...na-orig-bw.cnn

Trump fires event planner. And so it begins.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 03:25 AM   #250
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

They're senior members of a GOP administration. Given the lack of opposition to President Trump in general, and the despicably mild response to his support for neo-Nazis, white supremacists and racists in particular - I think it's a good first order approximation to say that anyone senior in the GOP is a yes-person.
It's the most plausible, but not the only possible scenario.

McHrozni
Old 31st August 2017, 03:36 AM   #251
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...na-orig-bw.cnn

Trump fires event planner. And so it begins.
More interesting is that he's obviously fired him, NOT for constantly booking Michael The Black Man, a noted conspiradroid, religious whacktard and, well, complete idiot. But he's fired because Donnie Johnny saw empty seats and had no crowds outside to brag about.

"Your act is wearing thin" doesn't occur to him. It has to be someone else's fault.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:23 AM   #252
Spindrift

... or even wants to do. While he mutters "American First" he, in fact, does nothing to really improve job numbers. Certainly economic policy is WAY over his head. I'm not convinced jobs is something he even cares about.
You misunderstand him. What he says is "This American First". That is the way he has always operated.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 08:30 AM   #253
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I have seen little evidence that he actually cares about anything beyond his own personal aggrandizement and the adulation of the public.

He'll say and do whatever he thinks he needs to at any given moment in pursuit of those two goals.

No need to look for anything deeper. It isn't there.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:32 AM   #254
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is very reminiscent of "prosperity gospel" preachers. They say "God wants you to be rich", but what they mean is "God wants ME to be rich." No wonder they support him.
Old 31st August 2017, 11:05 AM   #255
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I think he cares about them indirectly - they are a promise that got him elected, so he has to at least *appear* to produce. To this end, 'jobs' is something he can't safely ignore.

What's not clear is whether the route to being able to claim he has succeeded will be through a combination of:
  • crushing workers further, and blatantly lying about how much better workers are off
  • crushing workers further, and blaming the Democrats
  • actually helping workers, in spite of employers' pressure to do otherwise

My money is on the first two.

Last edited by blutoski; 31st August 2017 at 11:06 AM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:38 PM   #256
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
More interesting is that he's obviously fired him, NOT for constantly booking Michael The Black Man, a noted conspiradroid, religious whacktard and, well, complete idiot. But he's fired because Donnie Johnny saw empty seats and had no crowds outside to brag about.

"Your act is wearing thin" doesn't occur to him. It has to be someone else's fault.
The rallies are the last thing he enjoys about the job. When the crowds stop coming is when he starts looking in earnest for the exit.
Old 31st August 2017, 05:39 PM   #257
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I think he cares about them indirectly - they are a promise that got him elected, so he has to at least *appear* to produce. To this end, 'jobs' is something he can't safely ignore.

What's not clear is whether the route to being able to claim he has succeeded will be through a combination of:
  • crushing workers further, and blatantly lying about how much better workers are off
  • crushing workers further, and blaming the Democrats
  • actually helping workers, in spite of employers' pressure to do otherwise

My money is on the first two.
The thing he's ignoring is wage stagnation. Jobs we've got.
Old 31st August 2017, 05:42 PM   #258
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Well, now that Clarke is out up in Milwaukee, how long until we see him lurking around DC?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:45 PM   #259
Stacko
Philosopher

This whole personal device being used for government work thing seems familiar.

Quote:
But Trump sometimes defies — and even resents — the new structure. He has been especially sensitive to the way Kelly’s rigid structure is portrayed in the media and strives to disabuse people of the notion that he is being managed. The president continues to call business friends and outside advisers, including former chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon, from his personal phone when Kelly is not around, said people with knowledge of the calls.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:05 PM   #260
SezMe
post-pre-born

<snip>They are probably at the peak of their political careers - they are unlikely to get a more senior post - and are unlikely to throw that away IMO.
But they are not politicians in the usual sense of the word. Sure, to be good at their jobs they had to be politically savvy but that's different from having politics as your job. I seriously doubt either man has any political ambitions at all, especially after a stint with tRump. I would be surprised if Tillerson is Secretary of State on Januay 1, 2018 - gone by his own volition.
Old 31st August 2017, 07:10 PM   #261
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Hands up... who thinks the PotUS will followthrough on his $1 million pledge to Harvey relief?
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:13 PM   #262
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Hands up... who thinks the PotUS will followthrough on his $1 million pledge to Harvey relief?
He'll have one of his portraits evaluated at $1 million, then donate it to the local boat rescue team.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:26 PM   #263
Civet
Graduate Poster

It would be nice. If he actually does it I will not be hesitant with my praise. My guess is that it will be explained at some point that the POTUS has actually promised to raise $1 million in donations and that Sanders was mistaken when she referred to him using his own money.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:56 PM   #264
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
It would be nice. If he actually does it I will not be hesitant with my praise. My guess is that it will be explained at some point that the POTUS has actually promised to raise $1 million in donations and that Sanders was mistaken when she referred to him using his own money.
The man claims to have ten thousand million. 1/10,000th of his worth? He should just thank her and write the check. But I agree that he'll probably do some more fund-raising and then write a personal or foundation check from the donations he gets. Most of his charitable contributions have turned out to be of that nature.

Old 31st August 2017, 08:04 PM   #265
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
He'll have one of his portraits evaluated at $1 million, then donate it to the local boat rescue teamTrump Golf Course.
FTFY
Old 31st August 2017, 11:39 PM   #266
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Old 1st September 2017, 01:12 AM   #267
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Now you've made that salient point, Trump doesn't seem so bad. Thanks for bringing a note of sanity into this debate.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:12 AM   #268
Arcade22
Illuminator

Wouldn't surprise me if he gave it from the Trump Foundation (into which he hasn't put any money of his own for many years meaning it's actually other peoples money).
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st September 2017 at 02:14 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:22 AM   #269
Arcade22
Illuminator

It's good to see the "healthiest president ever" putting on those work gloves , a hard hat and getting to work clearing debris from flooded areas.

Seriously speaking, the White House administration doesn't hesitate for a second to push its newspeak by suggesting that Trump really got "first hand experience" of damage caused by the hurricane by speaking to local and state officials. He even looked at a TV showing radar imagery of the storm. Can't get any more "first hand experience" than that!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:53 AM   #270
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Ahahaha! It would be so funny if that's what was happening! A ha ha ha ha!

Ahhh... but since it's not...

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 03:48 AM   #271
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Work on the wall is continuing:

Quote:
Four companies have been chosen to build prototypes for Donald Trump's planned border wall, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said.

The four concrete prototypes will be 30ft (9m) long and up to 30ft tall, and will be built in the coming months.
The testing will be rigorous:

Quote:
"Testing will look at things like the aesthetics of it, how penetrable they are, how resistant they are to tampering, and scaling or anti-climb features."

But he said the officials would stick to small hand tools rather than testing "ballistic kind of things".
They do realise that Mexico has progressed beyond the stone age and criminal gangs may have access to heavy plant and machinery ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41118992
Old 1st September 2017, 04:32 AM   #272
Spindrift

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Well, now that Clarke is out up in Milwaukee, how long until we see him lurking around DC?
Does he need a pardon too?
Old 1st September 2017, 04:37 AM   #273
Spindrift

Work on the wall is continuing:

The testing will be rigorous:

They do realise that Mexico has progressed beyond the stone age and criminal gangs may have access to heavy plant and machinery ?

Ah, taking tips from the old Bradley fighting vehicle testing. Let's not test it with the actual things it is likely to face in the field, only the things we know aren't effective against it.
Old 1st September 2017, 05:36 AM   #274
Arcade22
Illuminator

America is too poor to afford the kind of border fortifications that the Soviet Union or Eastern Germany could.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:55 AM   #275
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

America is too poor to afford the kind of border fortifications that the Soviet Union or Eastern Germany could.

Check out the concept rendering in the NYT article on the proposals.

It includes a 150 ft. "electronically monitored Enforcement zone" on the U.S, side of the wall and a wall with a two lane highway on top. According to the article the wall proposals are around 30 ft. high.

I thought this part was a nice finishing touch:
Quote:
Homeland Security officials have also asked that a wall be at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing, at least from the American side, according to contracting documents.
Maybe they could paint it pink with blue teddy bears.

Last edited by quadraginta; 1st September 2017 at 07:56 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 08:39 AM   #276
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

It includes a 150 ft. "electronically monitored Enforcement zone" on the U.S, side of the wall and a wall with a two lane highway on top. According to the article the wall proposals are around 30 ft. high.

I picture the southern side as looking like the western side of the Berlin wall.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:46 AM   #277
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's good to see the "healthiest president ever" putting on those work gloves , a hard hat and getting to work clearing debris from flooded areas....
Photo ops probably aren't much of a step above doing nothing. Looks like Pence moved one armful of branches and two heavier pieces across one yard. Do you suppose he did more than that?

Though Trump's focused interest on the crowd that came to see him was decidedly more disgusting.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 09:05 AM   #278
Spindrift

That's massive and will cost a whole lot more than $10 billion.

Have the consulted the Mexicans on how much they are willing to spend on the wall?
Old 1st September 2017, 09:31 AM   #279
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Photo ops probably aren't much of a step above doing nothing. Looks like Pence moved one armful of branches and two heavier pieces across one yard. Do you suppose he did more than that?

Though Trump's focused interest on the crowd that came to see him was decidedly more disgusting.
Shrubya did more photo op visible work, [clearing brush] in his yard.
Old 1st September 2017, 12:52 PM   #280
Aber
Graduate Poster

Perhaps the Houston based company has more pressing issues at the moment...
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics