ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 28th August 2017, 06:20 AM   #1
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Telepathy

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you? Prey animals who can sense being watched, OFTEN look in direction of their stalker. If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you. Animals and humans who could identify the direction of an incoming predator were and are more likely to escape.

Fish and birds 'might' be using a single conscious rather than local physical inputs to alter direction.

When we see...light bounces off an object, is received by our retinas, flip-turned-right side up, and a picture is formed. But is that picture in our heads, or is it projected outward, outside of us, and by simply observing it, can we alter or change it, without touching it...?

After a few youtube searches I found some rather astounding test results.

Anyone here want to run a test, employing skeptics as the subjects??
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 06:28 AM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

What are you testing for and what would you have us do?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 06:48 AM   #3
King of the Americas
Philosopher

"telepathy"

Well, first we'll need to develop a test... I have some ideas, a concept or two, but I'd like input from the 'skeptic' community?

Is there a test that has been ran, with results you'd like to see replicated, or shall we develop a new, fun, more interactive something?

Last edited by King of the Americas; 28th August 2017 at 06:49 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Yeggster
Master Poster

King ... think about this logical ... if telepathy existed, someone would have collected the million dollar prize by demonstrating it, sometime prior to 2015
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post

Well, first we'll need to develop a test... I have some ideas, a concept or two, but I'd like input from the 'skeptic' community?
It is difficult to offer input on ideas and concepts that have not yet been presented.

You go first.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If your case is as solid as your cases for Atlantis, the Atlantean origin of the menorah, and Ancient Astronauts visiting us during last week's eclipse, I'm not holding my breath.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Dumb All Over

May I propose we use the exact same rules Mr. Randi used for the Million Dollar Challenge? Everyone OK with that?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 07:38 AM   #8
Yeggster
Master Poster

So King . pick something... there's a host of Telepathy protocols in the "Million Dollar Challenge" section.

Or make up a protocol (that would eliminate the possibility of cheating) where you line up 20 people and stare at the back of one of their heads ... see who turns around.

OR BETTER? test yourself first .... surely you know 5 people that are willing to stand still with their backs towards you?
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:16 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
King ... think about this logical ... if telepathy existed, someone would have collected the million dollar prize by demonstrating it, sometime prior to 2015
Even more than that... if telepathy were a predictable, repeatable method for achieving a useful result... it would be a multimillion-dollar industry and a significant feature of modern warfare (probably ancient warfare, too).

Kind of like the jet engine, or the radio, or the malaria pill. Humans are fantastic at taking things that exist and turning them into things that do useful work.

The fact that we don't complain about "big telepathy" the way we complain about "big pharma" or "big oil" should tell you everything you need to know about telepathy: Even if the effect exists, it's obviously useless. It ranks right up there with ghosts and astrology for actually getting things done.

King of the Americas, if you're so certain that telepathy is real, don't waste time "testing" it with us. Go out there and make some real money with it. That's what serious people do, with things that are real.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you? Prey animals who can sense being watched, OFTEN look in direction of their stalker. If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you. Animals and humans who could identify the direction of an incoming predator were and are more likely to escape.

Fish and birds 'might' be using a single conscious rather than local physical inputs to alter direction.

When we see...light bounces off an object, is received by our retinas, flip-turned-right side up, and a picture is formed. But is that picture in our heads, or is it projected outward, outside of us, and by simply observing it, can we alter or change it, without touching it...?

Any chance of linking to the 'well-researched data' and 'astounding test results'?
Old 28th August 2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Cat Not Included
Scholar

Just for reference...

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/can_we..._staring_at_us

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/psychi..._randomization
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:38 AM   #12
King of the Americas
Philosopher

That contest isn't real. No disrespect intended. And I am not talking trash.

I am just saying if it were real, I'd have collected already.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 28th August 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
King of the Americas, if you're so certain that telepathy is real, don't waste time "testing" it with us. Go out there and make some real money with it. That's what serious people do, with things that are real.
And there lies the problem with the utilization of telepathy.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #14
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
It is difficult to offer input on ideas and concepts that have not yet been presented.

You go first.
I am going to write down, in a seal envelope an 8 digit number..."NOT RANDOMLY GENERATED"...

This is a series of numbers I will create/choose, I hope semi-randomly, but I am certain no one can truly do that.

Each digit will be 0-9, and may appear more than once.

Accuracy will be judged on how many numbers each participant gets to appear in the right place.

We can have multiple tests, one over a day, one, a week, one a year...?

Maybe fewer digits? What if we tried binary!? Just 1's & 0's?
Old 28th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

And I am not all trash.
Yet you believe that the inhabitants of Atlantis flew away on spaceships into the far reaches of the universe, only returning to earth to troll us mere mortals during solar eclipses.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:55 AM   #16
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
May I propose we use the exact same rules Mr. Randi used for the Million Dollar Challenge? Everyone OK with that?
Pfft...

Name your terms, any terms, Dumb All Over, I am sure you are authorized to employ Randi's money.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:56 AM   #17
Yeggster
Master Poster

I am going to write down, in a seal envelope an 8 digit number...
So it seems you do not have 5 friends that will let you look and the back of thier heads?

OK get ONE friend ....

... go buy a set of "ESP CARDS" at your local card or magic shop (or on Amazon $8)

Sit with a friend and honestly test YOURSELF ... the instructions for a blind test should be in with the cards.

Basically for your test it'd be, YOU look at the cards and "telepathy" the shape to your friend ... see how many you both match out of a 25 card deck.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:09 AM   #18
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Even more than that... if telepathy were a predictable, repeatable method for achieving a useful result... it would be a multimillion-dollar industry and a significant feature of modern warfare (probably ancient warfare, too).

This is where I would usually insert a criminal justice study, that showed when officers show up, and watch people, there is less crime...but that would be obvious.

I could cite a criminal justice text book, wherein investigators are taught not to stare at the suspects back, least they be "made."

If memory serves me, there is a line in the UK special forces' manual that talks about silent hand-to-hand takedowns, and how you shouldn't focus on the back of their head because they will likely sense it.

But...I'm busy.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:12 AM   #19
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Any chance of linking to the 'well-researched data' and 'astounding test results'?
Nope, look for yourself.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If memory serves me, there is a line in the UK special forces' manual that talks about silent hand-to-hand takedowns, and how you shouldn't focus on the back of their head because they will likely sense it.
This seems untrue.

But, entertaining it, anticipating an attack from behind wouldn't be down to telepathy, obviously.

Old 28th August 2017, 09:19 AM   #21
King of the Americas
Philosopher

So it seems you do not have 5 friends that will let you look and the back of thier heads?

OK get ONE friend ....

... go buy a set of "ESP CARDS" at your local card or magic shop (or on Amazon $8)

Sit with a friend and honestly test YOURSELF ... the instructions for a blind test should be in with the cards.

Basically for your test it'd be, YOU look at the cards and "telepathy" the shape to your friend ... see how many you both match out of a 25 card deck.

Let us know how it goes.
There's a video of a 3 year old getting 3 out of 5 right...
Old 28th August 2017, 09:22 AM   #22
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Nope, look for yourself.
Changed the highlighting a little so you can (maybe) see what the problem is with "look for yourself." If CY (or anyone else) could actually successfully do that, there'd be no need to test for telepathy, finding what you found astounding would demonstrate it (or at least be an indication).

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 09:27 AM   #23
Yeggster
Master Poster

That's what we call "Anecdotal Evidence" ... it is not conclusive in any way .. I could read 2000 cards off and get a string of a dozen correct and post that portion of the video for example.

Did you order a deck of the cards yet? .. Or if not, just use regular playing cards?

Test your ability and let us know ... the anecdotes and untitled text book quotes are interesting ... but are not any kind of proof whatsoever.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

In addition to calculating the statistical significance of this happening by chance for this one trial (in fact one trial is so meaningless in this regard that you cannot calculate statistical significance based on it) you should also think about how many times the 3 year old achieved results much less than or equal to chance, with those videos not uploaded to youtube...

Last edited by Giordano; 28th August 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 09:33 AM   #25
Dumb All Over

Pfft...

Name your terms, any terms, Dumb All Over, I am sure you are authorized to employ Randi's money.
I was talking about the rules; not the prize. I propose no money be involved at all. My terms are Randi's protocol from the MDC for testing extraordinary claims, minus the money. Is this acceptable to you?
Old 28th August 2017, 09:38 AM   #26
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
If your case is as solid as your cases for Atlantis, the Atlantean origin of the menorah, and Ancient Astronauts visiting us during last week's eclipse, I'm not holding my breath.
Oh dear, I missed that - ancient astronauts visited us during the eclipse, eh?!! I don't think I'll search for it though!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 09:49 AM   #27
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Changed the highlighting a little so you can (maybe) see what the problem is with "look for yourself." If CY (or anyone else) could actually successfully do that, there'd be no need to test for telepathy, finding what you found astounding would demonstrate it (or at least be an indication).
Right. I did research.

Go do your own.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:50 AM   #28
King of the Americas
Philosopher

That's what we call "Anecdotal Evidence" ... it is not conclusive in any way .. I could read 2000 cards off and get a string of a dozen correct and post that portion of the video for example.

Did you order a deck of the cards yet? .. Or if not, just use regular playing cards?

Test your ability and let us know ... the anecdotes and untitled text book quotes are interesting ... but are not any kind of proof whatsoever.
If the cards are 0-9, 3 correct digits in the right place is quite remarkable.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:58 AM   #29
Yeggster
Master Poster

No it's not ... there are several example, of "why not" in this thread ... and in my post you just quoted.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:14 AM   #30
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Right. I did research.

Go do your own.
Still not quite getting the point, eh? I guess it needs to be made simpler for you- since your claim is that there is "well researched data" and "astounding test results" that you found indicative, nobody but you can say what that data and test results are. The whole problem with the silly "do your own research" retort is that anybody else putting up their own research, which may not agree with yours, opens up a game where you just say "well, that's not what the research I found says." The request is for a basis of discussion, not an excuse to avoid it.

I did do some research, though- and what I see directly contradicts yours. I guess you'll have to do your own research to find that, though.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:15 AM   #31
Kumar

I think, Telepathy, if can affect a person, who do not know, it is transmitting to him and if measurable affects are there, then only its scientific affects can be thought. Knowingly, some other mechanism can be possible.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:28 AM   #32
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Nope, look for yourself.

Is your evidence so embarrassingly bad that you dare not link to it?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:29 AM   #33
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I think, Telepathy, if can affect a person, who do not know, it is transmitting to him and if measurable affects are there, then only its scientific affects can be thought. Knowingly, some other mechanism can be possible.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:36 AM   #34
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

I love the idea that telepathy is not only real but is so easily used and tested... and yet nobody has done it so far.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:37 AM   #35
Cat Not Included
Scholar

That contest isn't real. No disrespect intended. And I am not talking trash.

I am just saying if it were real, I'd have collected already.
The challenge ran for approximately 19 years and is well documented online. Are you saying that it never actually happened and all that info is faked? Or are you simply saying that the contest did not really evaluate fairly the participants fairly?

If you are sure you could have won the challenge, did you ever actually attempt to apply for it?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:50 AM   #36
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Is your evidence so embarrassingly bad that you dare not link to it?
Very probably.
Either that, or KotA is worried he hasn't read it properly, and I'll spot it, as happened with the Atlantis thread. (All the evidence in Plato's writings points to Atlantis being in Spain, just like it says in this link- except that the link said the ruins had been found in Morocco).

KotA: there is also the small matter of a thing called 'burden of proof', which you may have heard of.

All we can really say is that you are (probably) personally convinced that telepathy is real, but absent the evidence that convinced you, and absent any other evidence, that's just your personal opinion. It is an opinion you are perfectly entitled to have, to be sure, but not something I, for one, feel any obligation to take seriously.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #37
sadhatter
Philosopher

This is where I would usually insert a criminal justice study, that showed when officers show up, and watch people, there is less crime...but that would be obvious.

I could cite a criminal justice text book, wherein investigators are taught not to stare at the suspects back, least they be "made."

But...I'm busy.
Your interpretation of all of those is messed up. Also, from memory tell us how it suggested to sneak up on people, in specific where did it sassy to attack?

With the real instructions in any combat manual, it wouldn't make sense to begin with to be looking there, care to tell me why, since obviously you read a few.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 12:30 PM   #38
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If telepathy works, why bother posting on an Internet forum to say so?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 01:20 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it would be obvious that increased police presence reduces crime.

Quote:
People might notice you staring at them? That doesn't need telepathy.

Quote:
If memory serves? I thought you had found lots of convincing documentation. Now you're saying you can't even remember for sure.

Quote:
But...I'm busy.
You're not busy making money off a predictable physical phenomenon that produces useful results, though. If you actually had telepathy, you'd be the greatest advantage poker player in the world.

If telepathy were actually real, then every poker manual would include a chapter on mental shielding techniques, right before the chapter on avoiding physical tells.

ETA: Hell, if telepathy were real, football Safeties would be drafted based on their ability to read the Quarterback's play before he calls it. Baseball coaches would be hired based on their ability to divine the next pitch and tip off the batter before it's thrown. If telepathy were real, there would be a whole sports industry for games of skill based on the competitor's mind-reading and mind-shielding ability. Chess would be a different game. Tennis would be a different game.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th August 2017 at 01:25 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 01:21 PM   #40
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If telepathy works, why bother posting on an Internet forum to say so?

Dave
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I've reminded of the Stephen Wright joke: "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal