ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 28th August 2017, 01:28 PM   #41
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Each digit will be 0-9
Good thinking.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 01:29 PM   #42
Yeggster
Master Poster

... I could cite a criminal justice text book, wherein investigators are taught not to stare at the suspects back, least they be "made."

If memory serves me, there is a line in the UK special forces' manual that talks about silent hand-to-hand takedowns, and how you shouldn't focus on the back of their head because they will likely sense it.
Even if these things were actually printed in books that is no indication that Telepathy exists ... that would only indicate someone who wrote a book thinks Telepathy exists.

It's exactly the same as you typing it here ... just because it's typed in an old book is no proof at all.

Uri Geller wrote several books, that in no way makes anything he typed to be factual or true.
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 01:41 PM   #43
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

If telepathy were real, it would be monetized, militarized and mundane.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 02:28 PM   #44
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

I am going to write down, in a seal envelope an 8 digit number..."NOT RANDOMLY GENERATED"...

This is a series of numbers I will create/choose, I hope semi-randomly, but I am certain no one can truly do that.

Each digit will be 0-9, and may appear more than once.
Okay so... I'm not sure what he means by "NOT RANDOMLY GENERATED" and the "I hope semi-randomly". I guess he's going to just pick some numbers off the top of his head. Sure.

I actually feel like random is way better, because it's at least easy to calculate the odds of someone guessing correctly. 10% chance per number, and he says they need to be in the right place so that's good. If it's not as random as possible it adds in a wild card that shouldn't be there.

Accuracy will be judged on how many numbers each participant gets to appear in the right place.
Yeah, this is important to clearly define ahead of time. The odds of getting all of them right would be sufficiently low, and the odds of getting at least one right would be pretty good, so it's all about how many they get.

We can have multiple tests, one over a day, one, a week, one a year...?
I'd say if it's really a psychic power it should be repeatable, so you should run the experiment some number of times with the same participants. If one of the participants got more than expected correct one time but flubbed it the other five (or however many) then you could chalk that up to a fluke.

Maybe fewer digits? What if we tried binary!? Just 1's & 0's?
I mean, you have to keep crunching the numbers to ensure you're doing something that's statistically significant here. If you go down in how many possible digits you have to go up in how many you expect them to get right.

The main thing would be that you have to avoid doing what so many do, where they say "Oh! But he said four and even though there's not a four in that spot the numbers on either side are twos so in the center he pictured them coming together to make a four!" That may sound silly, but self-deluding mind games are extremely common with these kinds of tests.

Oh wait, he put me on ignore. Well, I'm posting anyway.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 02:32 PM   #45
mgardner
Thinker

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you?
Yes, quite often, and I've been wrong much more frequently then I've been right. You have also been wrong on this point many times, but you have forgotten those times that did not match the pattern you were looking for. It's called confirmation bias.

Quote:
If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you. Animals and humans who could identify the direction of an incoming predator were and are more likely to escape.
Such claims have consistently failed rigorous scientific testing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychi...te-titchener-1
mgardner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 02:36 PM   #46
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you? Prey animals who can sense being watched, OFTEN look in direction of their stalker. If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you. Animals and humans who could identify the direction of an incoming predator were and are more likely to escape.

Fish and birds 'might' be using a single conscious rather than local physical inputs to alter direction.

When we see...light bounces off an object, is received by our retinas, flip-turned-right side up, and a picture is formed. But is that picture in our heads, or is it projected outward, outside of us, and by simply observing it, can we alter or change it, without touching it...?

After a few youtube searches I found some rather astounding test results.

Anyone here want to run a test, employing skeptics as the subjects??
View some videos of bowhunters nailing oblivious pigs from close range. Without cues of sight, sound and most importantly scent there is no awareness.
Old 28th August 2017, 02:46 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
If telepathy were real, it would be monetized, militarized and mundane.
Nicely put. I'm going to use that from now on. Much pithier than my version.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 03:48 PM   #48
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nicely put. I'm going to use that from now on. Much pithier than my version.
I immediately went looking for that xkcd chart of which industries would use which "gifts"... if they were real.
Unfortunately, despite having eight or so various claimed paranormal abilities... telepathy isn't one of them.

The point still stands.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #49
Cat Not Included
Scholar

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I immediately went looking for that xkcd chart of which industries would use which "gifts"... if they were real.
Unfortunately, despite having eight or so various claimed paranormal abilities... telepathy isn't one of them.

The point still stands.
Cat Not Included is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 06:42 PM   #50
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

There we go. Thank you.

I like that the military would use "curses and hexes".
You're damn right they would.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 01:16 AM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

theprestige and I have disagreed on a lot of things in the past, but in this case I think he's spot-on. If telepathy is real, why aren't you a billionaire by now?

I predict the "oh, I could be, but..." response.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:47 AM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
theprestige and I have disagreed on a lot of things in the past, but in this case I think he's spot-on. If telepathy is real, why aren't you a billionaire by now?

I predict the "oh, I could be, but..." response.
Likely followed by the ethics/moral argument/excuse.
Old 29th August 2017, 03:09 AM   #53
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Btw, Instead of spending time and energy in this and that, yes and no, can't we check each and every possible interaction scientifically? What a person can transmit to other, scientifically?
Old 29th August 2017, 03:17 AM   #54
fagin
Illuminator

Go on then Kumar, play scientist.

Others have, telepathy isn't real.

Staring at goats doesn't help neither.
Old 29th August 2017, 03:41 AM   #55
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Go on then Kumar, play scientist.

Others have, telepathy isn't real.

Have we scientifically checked each and every interaction between two people? Like as we speak other can listen at a distance. If we see other we interact.
Old 29th August 2017, 03:42 AM   #56
StackOverflow
Scholar

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Btw, Instead of spending time and energy in this and that, yes and no, can't we check each and every possible interaction scientifically? What a person can transmit to other, scientifically?
I have been sending you "Go to a crowded location and drop your pants" for the last few hours. Did you receive it and more importantly, did you do it?
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 03:46 AM   #57
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Have we scientifically checked each and every interaction between two people?
No. Nor do we continually drop hammers just to check that gravity is still working.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 03:47 AM   #58
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Yes, because that's never been done before... by people far more experienced at testing protocols than you or I.

Well... not for this purpose at least. I enjoy it though.

--- Half kidding, my adult niece had a couple dozen pygmys... they're very intense.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 29th August 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 29th August 2017, 04:05 AM   #59
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

What a person can transmit to other, scientifically?
Herpes.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 04:20 AM   #60
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

My offer originally made in another telepathy thread still stands: I am concentrating on a telephone number and a word. Phone the number, say the word and I will give you a thousand pounds. (I ought to offer more, but it feels improper to bet money I don't have.)
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 04:59 AM   #61
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
I have been sending you "Go to a crowded location and drop your pants" for the last few hours. Did you receive it and more importantly, did you do it?
There are no telepathic relations yet developed between you and me.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:04 AM   #62
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

One down, 6.999 billion to go.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:05 AM   #63
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
No. Nor do we continually drop hammers just to check that gravity is still working.

Dave
Heve we checked all possible electromagnetic interactions between two people? Sonething like fax tone matching may first be necessary. Somewhat Specific corresponding energy term is faintly in my mind.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:12 AM   #64
fagin
Illuminator

People are not fax machines, Kumar, however they can communicate in the same way. It's called a telephone.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:18 AM   #65
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Yes, because that's never been done before... by people far more experienced at testing protocols than you or I.
They should have definitely tested but there can always be some scope for miss or weakness in testing.

Which can be the possible interactions between two people? Let us try at basic level i.e on Fundamental forces level:

Gravitation: yes
Weak : No
Strong: No
Electromagnetic: Yes

Then on senses/physical level:

Touch: Yes
Smell: No
Look: yes
Hearing: Yes
Taste: No

Then on Psychological Level

Thought: Yes
Memory: yes.

I gave you seeds, Now you can grow plants.Good luck.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:21 AM   #66
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

People are not fax machines, Kumar, however they can communicate in the same way. It's called a telephone.
That was an example for better understanding. Not sure, but somewhat fax tone matching between people may first be needed for transmission of energy/information
Old 29th August 2017, 05:34 AM   #67
fagin
Illuminator

They should have definitely tested but there can always be some scope for miss or weakness in testing.

Which can be the possible interactions between two people? Let us try at basic level i.e on Fundamental forces level:

Gravitation: yesNo, unless they are massively, hugely fat, like a small planet fat.
Weak : No
Strong: No
Electromagnetic: YesWhat part of you is magnetic?

Smell: NoI smell stinky people regularly. Yuck.
Taste: NoSome people taste yummy.

Thought: YesNot unless you vocalise them.
Memory: yes.Bored now.

Cabbages maybe. Do try harder.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:35 AM   #68
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Have you considered coloured hats? Perhaps a psychic link can only be revealed when the two people are wearing hats of precisely the right colours. 'They' should have tested for that.

If that research doesn't lead anywhere I also have a theory about socks.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:38 AM   #69
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you? Prey animals who can sense being watched, OFTEN look in direction of their stalker. If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you. Animals and humans who could identify the direction of an incoming predator were and are more likely to escape.

Fish and birds 'might' be using a single conscious rather than local physical inputs to alter direction.

When we see...light bounces off an object, is received by our retinas, flip-turned-right side up, and a picture is formed. But is that picture in our heads, or is it projected outward, outside of us, and by simply observing it, can we alter or change it, without touching it...?

After a few youtube searches I found some rather astounding test results.

Anyone here want to run a test, employing skeptics as the subjects??
If you are so sure that telepathy is actually real, then do not bother with Forum posts and/or skeptics.

Instead, simply go to Vegas, play blackjack, and make oodles of money using your telepathic powers.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:55 AM   #70
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Corrections in red within the quote...

Gravitation: yes
Weak : No If you stayed in a nuclear reactor for long enough, when you came out, you would interact with with those near you via the weak force.
Strong: No Jump in a particle accelerator, have a friend at the on/off switch.
Electromagnetic: Yes

Smell: No Ever smell a tramp? Ever heard of pheromones?
Taste: No Ever kiss a smoker?

You left out the other senses for some reason. There are more, you know.

Thought: Yes NO. Your thoughts remain trapped inside your head. It is possible that at some far distant point in the future, technology might succeed at this, but that is a long time away from now.
Memory: yes. No. Again, technology may provide this at some point in the future. but it remains a long way off.

Try again.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:56 AM   #71
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

Right. I did research.

Go do your own.
For each piece of evidence you have found compelling, I have seen thorough debunkings. Hell, the fraudsters who created the evidence you looked at have all admitted they faked it.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:59 AM   #72
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Have you considered coloured hats? Perhaps a psychic link can only be revealed when the two people are wearing hats of precisely the right colours. 'They' should have tested for that.

If that research doesn't lead anywhere I also have a theory about socks.
Corresponding energy?
Old 29th August 2017, 06:01 AM   #73
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

As I point out to believers all the time in my Quora answers.... Are you aware that for years, all across the country, there existed university-level "parapsychology" departments who's sole purpose was the scientific study of such phenomena.
Even the university I work for had one.... For a while (Randi pranked it...)

Try to find one of these now. All dried up and blown away for lack of results.

In fact, one of the very few remaining programs recently announced that they were no longer looking for evidence of paranormal phenomena, as none had been found. Rather, they were now looking at the psychological reasons why people believe such things.

Further, are you aware that both the Soviet and the US intelligence agencies spent billions researching the possibility of using telepathy/remote viewing for intelligence-gathering purposes... And that both abandoned these projects after some years of no results.

You can read about this in "The Men Who Stare At Goats".

And as the others note, Randi's Million Dollar Prize went unclaimed for many years.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 06:03 AM   #74
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I have telepathically heard from my sources that the OP will never agree on a protocol, let alone run an actual test.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 06:16 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Have we scientifically checked each and every interaction between two people? Like as we speak other can listen at a distance. If we see other we interact.
Yes our physics models are accurate enough that we know there can no undetected energy that could form the basis of telepathic communication.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:18 AM   #76
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Heve we checked all possible electromagnetic interactions between two people? Sonething like fax tone matching may first be necessary. Somewhat Specific corresponding energy term is faintly in my mind.
Yes.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:22 AM   #77
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I have telepathically heard from my sources that the OP will never agree on a protocol, let alone run an actual test.
Faker. You're just using your precognition to make it appear like you're telepathic.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 06:38 AM   #78
Wolrab
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
What a person can transmit to other, scientifically?
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Herpes.

Winner!
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:37 AM   #79
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes.
Ok then I leave, here. Thanks and best regards.
Old 29th August 2017, 07:48 AM   #80
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That was an example for better understanding.

It didn't work.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal