ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 25th September 2017, 11:40 AM   #241
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
the garbage article linked in the op appears to presume that white women are basically indistinguishable from white men.

white people, amirite?
No, it doesn't. It narrows the focus to a specific set of analogous experiences. It is speaking to straight black men, and it is speaking about black women and black LBGTQ people.

It starts from the premise of how the plight of black people is often disregarded by white people. This is something that almost all straight black men will understand, and have experienced. It then uses that shared experience to extend the concept to a new area: the way that black men disregard the plight of black women and black LGBTQ people.

White women have nothing to do with it. I feel a resonance with the article as a women, even though I'm not black. I have some vicarious understanding of the specific issues that black women face relative to black men, because a large portion of my family is black, and I've witness the dynamic.

As a white woman, I have no objection to not being included as in this article, nor do I take umbrage at being included in the entirety of 'white people'. I am white - and I *do* experience a fair bit of privilege because of it. I am female, and I *do* experience a lack of privilege because of it.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:42 AM   #242
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Does anyone have an actual example of a black person being rejected for a position, with that position being given to a white person?

What were the resume's of both of these people? Did the experience and ability for one surpass that of the other?

How did you reach the conclusion that it was race that prevented the suitability of the candidate?

Or are we not dealing with facts, but rather silly hypothetical's?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:42 AM   #243
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
"Black men engage in same behaviour they accuse white people of" would've made the same point but without the obvious racism.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:43 AM   #244
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I've done no such thing. An explanation is not a justification.
A firmly adhered to explanation with no science to back it absolutely is a justification when it is offered as a counter to actual research on the topic. Which you've done in other threads. Repeatedly.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:43 AM   #245
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Does anyone have an actual example of a black person being rejected for a position, with that position being given to a white person?
Oh, I'm sure it happens quite a lot. The question is: is it the norm, and is it supported by society as a whole? No to both, I think.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:44 AM   #246
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I am white - and I *do* experience a fair bit of privilege because of it. I am female, and I *do* experience a lack of privilege because of it.
Maybe you can help me, then, Emily. Can you list 5 examples of this privilege?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:45 AM   #247
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Again, I have not said that. I said that the concept of privilege is, in the modern western world, a fiction. I didn't say that sexism doesn't exist. I didn't say that everything is equal. I didn't say that the sky is red.
What do you think privilege is?

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Assuming we're still talking about advantages, you can't get rid of them. Human interaction is complex and informed by forces you can't control. What you can do is try to see if some of them are, for lack of a better term, problematic, and try to address them. Not all of them are 'bad' per se.
No, you can't get rid of all of them.

Tell me - how do you address problematic advantages if you refuse to even consider, let alone acknowledge, that they exist?
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:46 AM   #248
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
A firmly adhered to explanation with no science to back it absolutely is a justification when it is offered as a counter to actual research on the topic. Which you've done in other threads. Repeatedly.
Absolute nonsense. You're adding adjectives ("firmly") to bolster your claim but it makes no difference: using the fact of biological differences to explain different outcomes is NOT a justification for codifying these outcomes in law or social mores.

First of all, I've not offered any "justification" as you claim, and second, I have not in any way supported treating people in the workplace differently -- quite the opposite. You are either misremembering or lying.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:48 AM   #249
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, I'm sure it happens quite a lot. The question is: is it the norm, and is it supported by society as a whole? No to both, I think.
That's the thing, and it seems to be lacking in any valid data.

Personally, I can walk into any shop or store in town and see people from most ethnicity's being represented. In my job, I work with men and women from all over the world: South Africa, Iran, Afghanistan, India, China, Croatia, Germany, Poland, Latvia... and on and on.

The very fact that we even live in a multi-cultured society kind of implies that this notion that only white people are given a proper chance is a rather odd one.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:48 AM   #250
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
What do you think privilege is?
I've already answered that question TWICE in the last hour. Kindly read my posts before you pretend to know what I'm saying.

Quote:
Tell me - how do you address problematic advantages if you refuse to even consider, let alone acknowledge, that they exist?
You're making yet another logical mistake. You think my conclusion is an assumption. How do you know that I've not considered it? Again you show that you believe I cannot reach a different conclusion from yours honestly (yes, yes, I'm sure you'll see irony in that comment).
__________________
<Roar!>


Last edited by Argumemnon; 25th September 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:48 AM   #251
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39,517
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Thing is, you've just invented this scenario, but does it actually happen? I've never seen one man being rejected based on race. It likely has happened, but is it the norm? I doubt that it is. There will always be someone who is picked over someone else, that's life. It's about finding the person best suited to the job and their experience in previous work. I know white and black people who have been in prison, and neither of those groups found it easy to get work. The idea that white felons are hoisted above their black counterparts is just silly.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/ny...xconvicts.html

https://qz.com/357445/black-harvard-...college-grads/

And so on.

The thing is that in none of those cases does there even need to be someone who says "I want to hire X because he is white" or "don't call Y back because he is black". It can be all vague gut feelings. The white guy seemed more impressive than the black guy, but you would never attribute it to race.


Quote:
There are plenty of white men and women right now who don't have a pot to piss in. This idea of "privilege" does not seem to apply to them. Why is it this hard for anyone to actually properly define these so-called privileges? That, to me, implies what I already know, that this whole privilege talk is nothing but tripe.
Yes it does. On the scale of things maybe less but it still does.

Privilege is like running a marathon on a flat level course with good shoes. And the people you are running against say some are running hurdles, some in work boots, some on a hilly course, some on one full of pot holes, and some have multiple of those. It doesn't mean running the marathon is easy for anyone but not having pot holes and hurdles to deal with makes it easier.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:49 AM   #252
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Thing is, you've just invented this scenario, but does it actually happen?
Yes, it happens.

There have been numerous studies done on the issue. There've been studies that send out the exact same resume to large numbers of job postings, the only difference being the name on the header. In one case, the resume is given a traditionally white name (Jonathan, Michael, Robert), and the other is given a traditionally black name (Jamaal, Tyler, Leroy). The content of the resumes is identical... and there's a statistically significant difference in the rate at which those resumes are contacted for an interview, with the white names having a higher likelihood of making it to an interview stage. The same sorts of studies have been done with respect to gender.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:49 AM   #253
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The very fact that we even live in a multi-cultured society kind of implies that this notion that only white people are given a proper chance is a rather odd one.
I'm surrounded by people of all sorts of ethnicities at my job. In fact, my employer seems to be going out of their way to employ minorities and people from abroad. They all seem competent, from where I stand. Doesn't seem particularily disadvantaged to me.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:51 AM   #254
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
No, that's what I said. They're not just advantages.

Example: I didn't just happen by my driver's license. It was given to me as a privilege by the state.
I don't understand what driver's licenses have to do with either privileges or advantages. I think you might be using a different connotation of the terms than what is intended.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:53 AM   #255
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I don't understand what driver's licenses have to do with either privileges or advantages.
Without a driver's license you cannot drive on public roads. That license is a privilege given by the state that allows you to drive. That's the difference between a right and a privilege; the former is presumed present at all times absent some exceptions, while the latter is not.

So when we speak of privileges, they have to be bestowed somehow.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:54 AM   #256
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39,517
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm surrounded by people of all sorts of ethnicities at my job. In fact, my employer seems to be going out of their way to employ minorities and people from abroad. They all seem competent, from where I stand. Doesn't seem particularily disadvantaged to me.
And would not notice the low level of harassment they deal with, and the difficulties they faced that you didn't because of their race?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:54 AM   #257
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/ny...xconvicts.html

https://qz.com/357445/black-harvard-...college-grads/

And so on.

The thing is that in none of those cases does there even need to be someone who says "I want to hire X because he is white" or "don't call Y back because he is black". It can be all vague gut feelings. The white guy seemed more impressive than the black guy, but you would never attribute it to race.
Then I guess the vast majority of companies in the UK, certainly in my city, didn't get the memo, because I can walk for 10 minutes and find a supermarket with black or Asian people working there. I can go into any office in town and notice that white is not the predominant colour of an employee. I only have to go into work this week and say "allo" to my mate "Jinny" from Afghanistan, who has worked with the company for the past 4 years and keeps that job by doing it properly, having the required licensing and turning up.




Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yes it does. On the scale of things maybe less but it still does.

Privilege is like running a marathon on a flat level course with good shoes. And the people you are running against say some are running hurdles, some in work boots, some on a hilly course, some on one full of pot holes, and some have multiple of those. It doesn't mean running the marathon is easy for anyone but not having pot holes and hurdles to deal with makes it easier.
I'm yet to see actual evidence that some groups routinely find their footpath to be a tad more hilly than other groups.

I know white people who haven't found a job in months, yet there are black and Asian people finding jobs all the time. What does it all mean? Nothing. It's just life; to quote Mr. Pink "some fellas are lucky, some ain't."
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:55 AM   #258
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,390
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
No, it doesn't. It narrows the focus to a specific set of analogous experiences. It is speaking to straight black men, and it is speaking about black women and black LBGTQ people.

It starts from the premise of how the plight of black people is often disregarded by white people. This is something that almost all straight black men will understand, and have experienced. It then uses that shared experience to extend the concept to a new area: the way that black men disregard the plight of black women and black LGBTQ people.

White women have nothing to do with it. I feel a resonance with the article as a women, even though I'm not black. I have some vicarious understanding of the specific issues that black women face relative to black men, because a large portion of my family is black, and I've witness the dynamic.

As a white woman, I have no objection to not being included as in this article, nor do I take umbrage at being included in the entirety of 'white people'. I am white - and I *do* experience a fair bit of privilege because of it. I am female, and I *do* experience a lack of privilege because of it.
White women have nothing to do with it. Hey that was my point too!

This miserable article used a terrible vehicle to discuss black men's misogyny and in so doing completely overlooked the fact that white people include white women.

The way that black men disregard the plight of black women and black LGBTQ people.

Oh wait, that includes the white women and white LGBTQ and we have established that this article is most certainly none of their concern.
__________________
rent this space
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:56 AM   #259
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,186
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I am white - and I *do* experience a fair bit of privilege because of it. I am female, and I *do* experience a lack of privilege because of it.
I doubt it. It's more likely that you're delusional, or lying. You think you're experiencing these things because you already believe they exist. People "see" UFOs, ghosts and demons for the same reason.
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 25th September 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:57 AM   #260
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And would not notice the low level of harassment they deal with, and the difficulties they faced that you didn't because of their race?
Speaking of not noticing, why are you assuming that they have to deal with any of that? You're accusing me of being blind to their struggles without ever knowing if those struggles exist.

This is the danger of your ideology: you are assuming that minorities are ALWAYS oppressed, almost by definition. That's self-defeating, since you made the problem impossible to solve.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:59 AM   #261
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I am white - and I *do* experience a fair bit of privilege because of it. I am female, and I *do* experience a lack of privilege because of it.
How would you know?
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:00 PM   #262
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm surrounded by people of all sorts of ethnicities at my job. In fact, my employer seems to be going out of their way to employ minorities and people from abroad. They all seem competent, from where I stand. Doesn't seem particularily disadvantaged to me.
I also work with many many people from all walks and colours of life.

There are many black people within the security industry, and there are many Middle-Eastern people, too. I've worked in offices and hospitals where many black/Asian people also work, and I have friends who work for video-gaming industries, all of whom employ people from nearly every country on the globe.

It seems that if a person who is actually genuinely capable and qualified has truly been rejected on their skin-colour, they'd have a very valid case against the employers.

It's hard to distinguish "unqualified" from "not white" in this vague issue.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:03 PM   #263
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yes, it happens.

There have been numerous studies done on the issue. There've been studies that send out the exact same resume to large numbers of job postings, the only difference being the name on the header. In one case, the resume is given a traditionally white name (Jonathan, Michael, Robert), and the other is given a traditionally black name (Jamaal, Tyler, Leroy). The content of the resumes is identical... and there's a statistically significant difference in the rate at which those resumes are contacted for an interview, with the white names having a higher likelihood of making it to an interview stage. The same sorts of studies have been done with respect to gender.
My issue is that what we see in our own day-to-day lives does not seem to reflect this notion that white people are given preferential treatment above people of colour.

I can't put much stock into the idea that people with British/white-sounding names are hoisted above everyone else, because that does not reflect my experience in the workplace, or in life in general. It's very rare that you go into a shop and see only white people.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:05 PM   #264
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And would not notice the low level of harassment they deal with, and the difficulties they faced that you didn't because of their race?
I've never seen any person of colour being harassed or given a hard time in their quest for employment, though.

I've seen far worse treatment of people with dyslexia and learning difficulties, whether black or white, than I have of people of colour being mistreated or talked about in a rude manner.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:08 PM   #265
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,186
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
It's very rare that you go into a shop and see only white people.
Ha! When I visited the UK, it was the first time I had seen mostly white people working at fast food places. That was an oddity.
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:08 PM   #266
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
I'm still waiting for 5 examples of this privilege that is apparently coursing through my veins.

Surely, as a white, privileged, straight male, I deserve to see these examples... Or said privilege counts for naught.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:10 PM   #267
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I've never seen any person of colour being harassed or given a hard time in their quest for employment, though.

I've seen far worse treatment of people with dyslexia and learning difficulties, whether black or white, than I have of people of colour being mistreated or talked about in a rude manner.
It's really odd, you know. At first we're told that minorities can't get jobs. When we show that, at least in our countries, they can, we're then told that they must have a terrible time at it. Makes you wonder why all those racist and sexist employers hire all those people if they're just going to treat them like crap all the time.

ETA: Well, not odd, when you consider that the outrage is the desired end result.
__________________
<Roar!>


Last edited by Argumemnon; 25th September 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:12 PM   #268
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Ha! When I visited the UK, it was the first time I had seen mostly white people working at fast food places. That was an oddity.
You'd be hard-pressed to visit a shop in my city where the employees are predominantly white.

When we get new recruits for training in our company, lots of them come to us via their Job Center, and they vary greatly in background and culture. I see so many Middle-Eastern people these days, and if they can complete the training, pass the criminal-background check, and prove that they can do the job, they're hired.

There's no magical preferential treatment in our company for unqualified white blokes, no matter how white their surname sounds. If you show me a man from any country who can meet the requirements and do the work, he'll get the job before any unqualified white bloke.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:14 PM   #269
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,186
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
You'd be hard-pressed to visit a shop in my city where the employees are predominantly white.

When we get new recruits for training in our company, lots of them come to us via their Job Center, and they vary greatly in background and culture. I see so many Middle-Eastern people these days, and if they can complete the training, pass the criminal-background check, and prove that they can do the job, they're hired.

There's no magical preferential treatment in our company for unqualified white blokes, no matter how white their surname sounds. If you show me a man from any country who can meet the requirements and do the work, he'll get the job before any unqualified white bloke.
I'm not trying to disagree with you. Just sharing an observation I had over there. 😊
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:17 PM   #270
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's really odd, you know. At first we're told that minorities can't get jobs. When we show that, at least in our countries, they can, we're then told that they must have a terrible time at it. Makes you wonder why all those racist and sexist employers hire all those people if they're just going to treat them like crap all the time.
This is what I don't get. The goalposts are shifted to allow that people of colour can get work, but it's just that the process is much harder compared to that of white people... and yet I see no evidence for that claim, either.

Lots of people attend interviews and are rejected, each and every day. If white people have such an easy time, then why do we not see that reflected in the employment figures? Why is the Job Center still full of people of all colours who are finding it hard to get work?

My dad was a painter and decorator by trade, and he was eventually made redundant. My mother was a carer, and then a receptionist, and her job was also made redundant.

Neither of my parents found it easy to find work after that, and they're whiter than milk.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:18 PM   #271
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I'm not trying to disagree with you. Just sharing an observation I had over there. ��
Oh, no worries, I didn't think you were disagreeing.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:19 PM   #272
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39,517
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Speaking of not noticing, why are you assuming that they have to deal with any of that? You're accusing me of being blind to their struggles without ever knowing if those struggles exist.

This is the danger of your ideology: you are assuming that minorities are ALWAYS oppressed, almost by definition. That's self-defeating, since you made the problem impossible to solve.
Well it does seem pretty clear that you are exactly the kind of person that the article is referring to as a white person. It is really easy to ignore things that don't impact you and pretend they never happen.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:24 PM   #273
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well it does seem pretty clear that you are exactly the kind of person that the article is referring to as a white person. It is really easy to ignore things that don't impact you and pretend they never happen.
But why is it that every time I ask for a list of examples for this privilege, that I get nothing but tumbleweeds in response?

People keep talking about these privileges and how they impact us, but I'm yet to see one rational, valid example.

The "white people find it easier to get work" example has been thoroughly bashed upside the noggin, because if you look around, you'll find people of every colour working in bars, markets, restaurants, offices, hospitals, dentists, hairdressers, and everywhere in between. The postman in my previous job's building was a black fella, and he'd done the same job for a number of years, moving from one post-office to another. Are we to assume he was made to complete an obstacle course in order to get that job, or merely be qualified, willing and able?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:27 PM   #274
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Maybe you can help me, then, Emily. Can you list 5 examples of this privilege?
When I walk into a store, nobody looks at me with suspicion. Everyone assumes I'm a well-meaning person until I do something wrong. I have observed the opposite reaction when my father or sister, or my aunts and uncles, nephews and nieces enter a store.

When I go into a police station and ask the clerk a question, they don't assume I'm a criminal. They assume my friend was a criminal there for a trial.

When I apply for a loan or mortgage, I'm assumed to be financially responsible prior to the loan officer finding out my credit score. They never react with surprise when they find out how good my score is now; when I was younger and had bad credit, they did act surprised to find out that it was so low - then they offered suggestions on how to improve it and what they could do for me as a work-around. I have observed the opposite reaction when it was my sister applying.

If I or my spouse are pulled over by the cops, we're likely to get off with a warning. Even if I get a ticket, the chances of my car being searched are pretty much negligible. My husband gets off scott free all the time for no good reason at all. My brother in law gets tickets for massively smaller infractions.

When I get to the counter at a store and realize I forgot my wallet, nobody assumes I'm trying to get away with something.

ETA: It's incredibly easy to find a doll or action figure that looks 'like me'.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:28 PM   #275
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,308
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well it does seem pretty clear that you are exactly the kind of person that the article is referring to as a white person. It is really easy to ignore things that don't impact you and pretend they never happen.
Again, you assume that these individuals have problems of this sort, without any evidence to back it up.

And why are you ignoring my own struggles? Did you just assume I didn't have any? How racist of you!
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:31 PM   #276
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Absolute nonsense. You're adding adjectives ("firmly") to bolster your claim but it makes no difference: using the fact of biological differences to explain different outcomes is NOT a justification for codifying these outcomes in law or social mores.

First of all, I've not offered any "justification" as you claim, and second, I have not in any way supported treating people in the workplace differently -- quite the opposite. You are either misremembering or lying.
You made the argument that the reason there are so few women in leadership position is that they aren't as interested in them - women are more interested in having families and babies because of biology than in being leaders.

You made the argument that the reason that there is a higher proportion of men in higher paying jobs is because women make different choices, not because there is any preference in hiring for those jobs.

You persisted in making that argument as the explanation, despite having been provided with several research studies that showed a bias against women in STEM jobs and academics, and despite research showing that the exact same resume was seen in an unflattering light if the name on the top was a female rather than a male.

You might think I'm misremembering... but I'm quite confident I am not.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:33 PM   #277
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I've already answered that question TWICE in the last hour. Kindly read my posts before you pretend to know what I'm saying.
I'm sorry, but I'm not following. I see that you've made several comments regarding privilege, but I can't find a clear response from you outlining what you believe privilege to be. Can you please provide your view of it for me?
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:36 PM   #278
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Without a driver's license you cannot drive on public roads. That license is a privilege given by the state that allows you to drive. That's the difference between a right and a privilege; the former is presumed present at all times absent some exceptions, while the latter is not.

So when we speak of privileges, they have to be bestowed somehow.
That's a somewhat narrow definition of privilege. It's appropriate in context, but it's not the only sort of privilege out there.


ETA: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/privilege
Quote:
noun
1.
a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most:
the privileges of the very rich.
2.
a special right, immunity, or exemption granted to persons in authority or office to free them from certain obligations or liabilities:
the privilege of a senator to speak in Congress without danger of a libel suit.
3.
a grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions.
You're talking about definition #3. I'm talking about definition #1.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 25th September 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:36 PM   #279
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39,517
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
But why is it that every time I ask for a list of examples for this privilege, that I get nothing but tumbleweeds in response?
Because you ignore the examples given. I gave you links to sources showing that whites have an easier time getting jobs, and you hand waved it away. So why should I expect you to treat any further evidence seriously?

It is clear, your gut says that racism does not disadvantage people, and no amount of evidence will dissuade you. Why should I waste my time trying then?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:39 PM   #280
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,186
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
When I walk into a store, nobody looks at me with suspicion. Everyone assumes I'm a well-meaning person until I do something wrong. I have observed the opposite reaction when my father or sister, or my aunts and uncles, nephews and nieces enter a store.

When I go into a police station and ask the clerk a question, they don't assume I'm a criminal. They assume my friend was a criminal there for a trial.

When I apply for a loan or mortgage, I'm assumed to be financially responsible prior to the loan officer finding out my credit score. They never react with surprise when they find out how good my score is now; when I was younger and had bad credit, they did act surprised to find out that it was so low - then they offered suggestions on how to improve it and what they could do for me as a work-around. I have observed the opposite reaction when it was my sister applying.

If I or my spouse are pulled over by the cops, we're likely to get off with a warning. Even if I get a ticket, the chances of my car being searched are pretty much negligible. My husband gets off scott free all the time for no good reason at all. My brother in law gets tickets for massively smaller infractions.

When I get to the counter at a store and realize I forgot my wallet, nobody assumes I'm trying to get away with something.

ETA: It's incredibly easy to find a doll or action figure that looks 'like me'.
None of those are privileges and none have to do with race.
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.