ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 27th September 2017, 07:52 AM   #361
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Maybe my recollection is wrong, but prior to this year, the only time I really remember the NFL showing the national anthem is during playoffs and superbowl. Again, maybe my memory is wrong, but I swear in the past they jumped from pre-game coverage to boom, the ball is being kicked off after commercial break.
Once in a while they would show the last bar or two and say, "That was America Top Talent 4th place finisher in 2011, Alice Somethingorother. Great job, Alice. Now Phil, do you think the Giant offense is going to **** the bed again this week."
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 07:56 AM   #362
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Maybe my recollection is wrong, but prior to this year, the only time I really remember the NFL showing the national anthem is during playoffs and superbowl. Again, maybe my memory is wrong, but I swear in the past they jumped from pre-game coverage to boom, the ball is being kicked off after commercial break.
For sure. The NFL TV production is highly scripted to maximize commercial time. Why would they waste a minute showing the playing of the national anthem, which no one wants to see, when they could have beer commercials instead?

You are right. They go from "the studio" to the announcers in the booth, and immediately the kickoff happens. And it's not a coincidence. The players are all standing there waiting for the TV guy to tell them it's time to kick off.

Go to a game and you can see the TV guy on the field, telling the referees when they can play.
Old 27th September 2017, 07:56 AM   #363
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Once in a while they would show the last bar or two and say, "That was America Top Talent 4th place finisher in 2011, Alice Somethingorother. Great job, Alice. Now Phil, do you think the Giant offense is going to **** the bed again this week."
Is this part of what seems to me to be an increasing fetishism over both the military and certain symbols (such as the US, and for that matter Confederate, flag) ? Rather than consider the issues in a country, dismiss any protest as unpatriotic and jingle the keys of "respect for our brave soldiers/police/first responders".
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:08 AM   #364
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Is this part of what seems to me to be an increasing fetishism over both the military and certain symbols (such as the US, and for that matter Confederate, flag) ? Rather than consider the issues in a country, dismiss any protest as unpatriotic and jingle the keys of "respect for our brave soldiers/police/first responders".
Yes. Jingoism has been on the ascent since 9/11 and it's increased in the past few years.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:11 AM   #365
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

To echo what others have said, it really irritates me that any flag issue is conflated with a military issue. The United States is not its army.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:20 AM   #366
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Go to a game and you can see the TV guy on the field, telling the referees when they can play.
It's the guy with the bright orange sleeve-gloves. He sometimes gets caught on camera too.
Old 27th September 2017, 08:21 AM   #367
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I take issue with this as a fan of English Football. "The most beautiful game" and "rubberneckers" are not compatible concepts...
Okay, rubberneckers and instigators?

ETA: Does "rubberneckers and ruffians" work better? Anyway, just a light jab at soccer riots. I have nothing against soccer fans. Hockey is too exciting for some folk.

Last edited by phiwum; 27th September 2017 at 08:24 AM.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 09:51 AM   #368
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Okay, rubberneckers and instigators?

ETA: Does "rubberneckers and ruffians" work better? Anyway, just a light jab at soccer riots. I have nothing against soccer fans. Hockey is too exciting for some folk.
Well, the original context was fans of watching sports on TV I believe. But jab accepted.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:13 AM   #369
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I wonder if this kerfuffle could go away if the networks simply announced that they would not show players during the playing of the national anthem. Seriously. Why is there a need to show players during the anthem at all?

They could devote more of the camera time to showing all the people chatting with their neighbors or on their cell phones or eating or going and coming from the restrooms.

Quote:

(And, in my opinion, during the playing of the national anthem might be a great time for a commercial break, but if you did that I can picture much wailing and gnashing of teeth from pseudopatriots saying that the networks are disrespecting the flag. There's no way you can say that if they simply don't show the players.)

It gives the home viewers a last minute chance to get all their snacks brought in for the game.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:44 AM   #370
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They could devote more of the camera time to showing all the people chatting with their neighbors or on their cell phones or eating or going and coming from the restrooms.
There was a picture the other day of some guy standing for the anthem behind Kaepernick, I think. The best part is that he was wearing a shirt made up from a US flag (probably not an actual flag, but the blue field with stars and red and white stripes).

He sure showed Kaep something about patriotism and respecting the flag!
Old 27th September 2017, 12:00 PM   #371
Imhotep
Muse

I laughed.

But seriously, after the last out was recorded in the Cubs World Series, Joe Buck had the class to shut up for about ten minutes as the cameras panned around Wrigley Field and the streets outside. Best ten minutes of baseball I've ever seen! Next best thing to being in Chicago that night.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 12:19 PM   #372
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Donald Trump is Back to Being the Least Popular President Ever After NFL Tweets

Originally Posted by Newsweek
President Donald Trump's popularity among American voters is once again in decline, falling back to the historic lows that have marked the first eight months of his White House tenure.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 01:24 PM   #373
Minoosh
Philosopher

I think my Trump-loving nephew may be having an epiphany - he also loves the NFL but is going to take a break "for a short time." I wonder if he's really going to boycott it until not one player anywhere is taking a knee ...

How will NFL players know when to stop kneeling, anyway?

He was also going to stay sober his whole life, then he found out he likes alcohol.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 05:30 PM   #374
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Here's the way one NFL player sees it:
Quote:
Julius Thomas, a Miami Dolphins tight end who had previously stood for the anthem, knelt for it on Sunday with several players. To have the president trying to intimidate people I wanted to send a message that I dont condone that, Thomas said, echoing the opinion of most N.F.L. players. Im not O.K. with somebody trying to prevent someone from standing up for what they think is important. News link
Characterizing players who quietly knelt in protest of what they consider state-sanctioned acts of murder by law enforcement, for president Trump to refer to them as "sons of bitches," was disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful. Another example of the intolerance and confrontational style Trump seems to stand for. As a number of NFL players (and others) noted, when the American Nazi group and white supremacist groups marched in Charlottesville in a demonstration that turned violent, Trump was much more moderate in his criticism.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 05:53 PM   #375
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Does it make you want to watch football? Or do you just like it in the abstract?
I was already leaning towards watching, but yeah. Makes it more American.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 05:54 PM   #376
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Here all you need to hear, from a Vietnam Veteran

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 06:52 PM   #377
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Dale Hanson struck me as a blowhard when I first moved here. Over time I've grown to really like him. He is very good about being right when it would be easy for him not to be.
IIRC, didn't he also go viral over his response to Michael Sam coming out before the draft?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:36 PM   #378
Darth Rotor
Suspended

"Nattering nabobs of negativism". Those were the days. Trump hasn't got the vocabulary to come up with gems like that.
Whoa, flashback!
If Trump were a used car salesman he'd have me looking for a different dealership.
you are not alone.
In all seriousness, this Thursday night **** is driving me crazy. I hope their viewership does decline for that reason alone.
That's two of us.
President Trump will now claim that his intervention single-handedly rescued the NFL's ratings
What's funny is that I will bet the over on him making that claim within the week.
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -- George F. Will
Funny, from a devotee of baseball. (If you have not read his book "men at work" about baseball, I recommend it).
Not to mention NASCAR. Every clip of NASCAR that I have viewed over the last five years has included a wreck.
IT's why people watch. I can't watch, it just doesn't do it for me.
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The NFL TV production is highly scripted to maximize commercial time. You are right. They go from "the studio" to the announcers in the booth, and immediately the kickoff happens. And it's not a coincidence. The players are all standing there waiting for the TV guy to tell them it's time to kick off. Go to a game and you can see the TV guy on the field, telling the referees when they can play.
yeah, disconcerting the first time you go to a live game and see how often the players are standing around waiting to play. Not like Friday night high school football.
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
This is the *US* politics forum. The game is called soccer, "color" doesn't have a "u" in it, and "Jeff" is spelled in such a way as to reflect how it's pronounced rather than to describe the production of a hairball.
We thank you for the PSA.
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Here all you need to hear, from a Vietnam Veteran
Thanks for the Hansen piece. Had not seen it.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 09:09 PM   #379
Stacko
Philosopher

I think I've found the reason for the ratings not being affected by the boycott. I think you'll find Thursday Night Football has a zero share today.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 10:30 PM   #380
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Compliance with traditional mores that a conservative body uses to reinforce their position is not a politics neutral position.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 10:58 PM   #381
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I think I've found the reason for the ratings not being affected by the boycott. I think you'll find Thursday Night Football has a zero share today.
We should start a Go Fund Me page.... "Get Charlie Daniels A Calendar Watch".

Way down on that thread someone pointed out a lovely side effect. Who'd a ever thought that Trump/MAGA could start a movement that would make an NFL game into a safe space? No deplorables, no hard liner Republicans,... sounds like a nice Sunday outing. Now, if he'd only get the cheese-heads out of Green Bay. Maybe get The Church Lady to explain to them what "packer" actually means.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 07:25 AM   #382
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think the whole showing of the anthem and accompanying demonstrations will peter out within a week. That's almost four minutes of advertising time the networks are losing there.
Old 28th September 2017, 07:34 AM   #383
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

My frustration with all this is that they now have my attention but I don't know what they'd like me to do. The point of protesting is to bring about change but I'm unclear what that is or how I'm expected to help.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 07:39 AM   #384
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We should start a Go Fund Me page.... "Get Charlie Daniels A Calendar Watch".

Way down on that thread someone pointed out a lovely side effect. Who'd a ever thought that Trump/MAGA could start a movement that would make an NFL game into a safe space? No deplorables, no hard liner Republicans,... sounds like a nice Sunday outing. Now, if he'd only get the cheese-heads out of Green Bay. Maybe get The Church Lady to explain to them what "packer" actually means.
Them's fighting words!!!

But considering tonight is a conference game between two of the oldest NFL rivals, I think the ratings will be just fine.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:58 AM   #385
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

IIRC, didn't he also go viral over his response to Michael Sam coming out before the draft?
He has had several good takes on controversial issues. I think Sam was one of those. Also, he is pretty good at the long form interview. Finally, he doesn't mind people poking fun at him. That last one is the cherry on top. He is confident in who he is and what he believes.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:48 AM   #386
Stacko
Philosopher

This is the straw that broke the camels back with Ray Lewis and having a statue!?
Old 28th September 2017, 09:53 AM   #387
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

i did a double-take on that pic. It looks at first like he's bursting, Hulk-like, out of his jacket.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:01 AM   #388
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
i did a double-take on that pic. It looks at first like he's bursting, Hulk-like, out of his jacket.
Even the actual biceps of the people in the photo are quite impressive. One reason I recommend not pissing off NFL players. Trump must be betting on the Secret Service doing their job if he ever attends a game.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 07:40 PM   #389
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Internet lashes out at Sarah Sanders ‘Freudian slip’ claim that Trump’s anthem tantrum is ‘black and white’

Whoops.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:19 AM   #390
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I was already leaning towards watching, but yeah. Makes it more American.

Kind of like the calls to boycott Honey Maid after their "wholesome snacks for wholesome families" commercial, which included a same sex couple and their child among the various families. I went out and bought boxes of graham crackers just on principle. I hadn't eaten them in years before that.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:32 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile in school districts, free speech is being discouraged:

Quote:
A school district in Louisiana has vowed to punish players who refuse to stand for the US national anthem, as other schools weigh in on the debate.

In their decision, the Bossier Parish School Board cited "respect and reverence" for the military, a spokesperson told the BBC.
Because apparently US = military

It's not just a southern thing:

Quote:
In New York the Diocese of Rockville Centre said students will face "serious disciplinary action" if they protest.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41419906
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:36 AM   #392
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

If I were a kid there I would be up for a test case to challenge this on tinker v Des Moines.

I wanted that when I was in highschool, but the school was ridiculously tolerant of my weirdness. I was a lot like the characters from the SNL drama class sketches (I wasn't in drama, but was equally "edgey."
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 07:43 AM   #393
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt those school districts have the money for the legal battles. This is settled law and has been for decades.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 09:01 AM   #394
sadhatter
Philosopher

I have to ask.

This is a very important topic,I fully support what the players are doing.

That being said, wouldn't it be more effective if they refused to play? This kinda feels like the celebrity version of slacktivisim at this point.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 09:17 AM   #395
d4m10n
Master Poster

I think they want to keep getting paid, though.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 09:27 AM   #396
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I have to ask.

That being said, wouldn't it be more effective if they refused to play? This kinda feels like the celebrity version of slacktivisim at this point.
The players freely entered a contract to play, so they are pretty much obligated. According the the Supreme Court, they have the right to sit (or kneel) during the National Anthem.
Old 29th September 2017, 09:48 AM   #397
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I have to ask.

They're not protesting football or the military. They are making a comment about institutionalized racism in the country.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 10:03 AM   #398
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They're not protesting football or the military. They are making a comment about institutionalized racism in the country.
With particular reference, as I understand it, to the "justice" system.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 10:08 AM   #399
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They have a window here where the protestors could bring about change. They need to start using this attention for their cause or lose the momentum. Instead of talking about the act of protesting, they really need to capture the energy now and get back to the thing they are protesting about.
I agree and think they should decide what positive change they want to come from this. Not some generalized ideal about ending police violence, but constructive ways to fix the issue - training, education, whatever. I think they also need to be bigger voices in their own communities to help the disadvantaged. I'm not saying specific players don't, as I know many do, but I'm talking as a group. If you protest together, help be part of the solution together.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 10:13 AM   #400
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They have a window here where the protestors could bring about change. They need to start using this attention for their cause or lose the momentum. Instead of talking about the act of protesting, they really need to capture the energy now and get back to the thing they are protesting about.
That's the thing, though. These are cargo cult protests.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics