ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 12th October 2017, 07:10 AM   #801
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But I certainly know whether or not I was referring to "a power".

I wasn't.

You're wrong.

You said "the power of the office." However you intended doesn't matter. The power of the office is the enumerated powers. Effectiveness at communication is not power.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:14 AM   #802
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The President has no more power to change the tax code than Rachel Maddow does.
For certain definitions of "president" and "power"

Old 12th October 2017, 07:15 AM   #803
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You said "the power of the office." However you intended doesn't matter. The power of the office is the enumerated powers. Effectiveness at communication is not power.
No. The enumerated powers of the office are the enumerated powers of the office. The office has other powers that are real and are used. The president has the power to influence events and people.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:15 AM   #804
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

For certain definitions of "power"

Old 12th October 2017, 07:22 AM   #805
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
No. The enumerated powers of the office are the enumerated powers of the office. The office has other powers that are real and are used. The president has the power to influence events and people.
And I'm saying that is not power no matter how much others wish it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #806
Spindrift

And I'm saying that is not power no matter how much others wish it.
Enjoy being wrong.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:24 AM   #807
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
For certain definitions of "power"

Exactly. I don't see why the argument even hinges on it being defined as power. It doesn't need to be power for it to be a negative.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:57 AM   #808
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

You said "the power of the office."
Right, not "a power of the office".

Quote:
However you intended doesn't matter.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
The power of the office is the enumerated powers.
Had I meant that, I would have said "powers", plural. I didn't. I was referring to the power implicit in the office of the President.

If you want a real-world example, all you need to do is look at exactly what happened. President Donald Trump threatened the NFL, and the NFL capitulated. That wasn't because of any specific enumerated power of the presidency. It was because the office itself is powerful. Do you think the commissioner of the NFL would have capitulated so readily to a threat from private citizen Donald Trump? Of course not.

That the American presidency is a powerful office isn’t even remotely a controversial concept.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #809
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Exactly.
Hmm ... I wasn't agreeing with you.

Yes, it does.

Had I meant that, I would have said "powers", plural. I didn't. I was referring to the power implicit in the office of the President.

If you want a real-world example, all you need to do is look at exactly what happened. President Donald Trump threatened the NFL, and the NFL capitulated. That wasn't because of any specific enumerated power of the presidency. It was because the office itself is powerful. Do you think the commissioner of the NFL would have capitulated so readily to a threat from private citizen Donald Trump? Of course not.

That the American presidency is a powerful office isn’t even remotely a controversial concept.
Not yet anyway

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

The NFL has no plans to mandate players stand for the national anthem, a league spokesman told NFL.com Wednesday.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #810
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's the "bully pulpit" you're talking about. In Trump's case, for a more modern definition of "bully" than what TR meant.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:28 AM   #811
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

This latest news is sure to upset Trump:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/12/nf...hem-discussion
Quote:
"Commissioner Roger Goodell reached out to NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith today and both he and player leadership will attend the League meetings next week," the statement said. "There has been no change in the current policy regarding the anthem."

ETA: Ninja'd by TheL8Elvis!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:42 AM   #812
johnny karate

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Not yet anyway

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

The NFL has no plans to mandate players stand for the national anthem, a league spokesman told NFL.com Wednesday.
Good. Seems like the players union is pushing back.

Hopefully, the NFL will come to realize that true patriotism isn't mindlessly participating is some empty ritual, but rather defiance in the face of government oppression.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:54 AM   #813
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Yes, it does.

That the American presidency is a powerful office isnít even remotely a controversial concept.
I would not call being more persuasive"the powers."
Old 12th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #814
Spindrift

Yes, you've made it clear that you have your own definition of the word power.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:18 AM   #815
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Yes, you've made it clear that you have your own definition of the word power.
The nuance of a definition of power is vital here. If we are going to define abuse of power as a problem, the very nature of power and it's definition matters.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:23 AM   #816
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Well, it looks like some sports teams are willing to visit Trump in the White House...

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/10...-penguins-2017
The NHL champion Pittsburgh Penguins visited the White House on Tuesday...
“You are true, true champions — and incredible patriots,” Trump said....But describing the Penguins as “incredible patriots” really gives away the game here: Most of the Pittsburgh Penguins squad aren’t American patriots, because they aren’t American at all.

But that's ok... being white (even if you're not American) seems to be enough to be in Trump's good graces.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 10:32 AM   #817
Spindrift

The nuance of a definition of power is vital here. If we are going to define abuse of power as a problem, the very nature of power and it's definition matters.
It's not vital, we will survive without it.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:38 AM   #818
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Well, nice to read the NFL isn't going to fold so easily after all. Score one for democratic sanity. Trump, on the other hand, is fast losing it entirely on this and every other topic. I give him very little time before the talk of making 45 into 46 by 25 becomes a clamor. Problem is, that 46 is not much better than this 45.... oh, well, one at a time, I reckon.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:39 AM   #819
johnny karate

I wouldn't either.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:48 PM   #820
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump shows respect for the flag:

[url]https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/trump-talks-through-solemn-military-ceremony-are-they-playing-that-for-you-or-me/[url]

God, what total hypocrisy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #821
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/tru...-for-you-or-me

Minor problem with the url. Let's see if this fixes it...

eta: it did. Wotta Maroon.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 12th October 2017 at 05:09 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:24 PM   #822
Darth Rotor
Suspended

The NFL and Trump have a bit of a history. Mid 1980's. I well remember that court case. The odds that the NFL is going to play nice with Mr Trump are sort of small.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:26 PM   #823
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/tru...-for-you-or-me

Hypocrisy seems to be the permanent state of being for a GOP Politician lately.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 08:16 AM   #824
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Now that's not fair.

I think it can be proven that most GOP politicians alternate between being hypocritical to being self serving and deceitful.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #825
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Ftfy
Old 13th October 2017, 11:19 AM   #826
C_Felix
Master Poster

A statement from a professional athlete who refused to meet with the President (when his team won their sport's championship and was invited to the White House and declined/refused to attend.)

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

Who said this?
Boston Bruin's goalie Tim Thomas who didn't want to meet with Mr. Obama.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:22 AM   #827
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
A statement from a professional athlete who refused to meet with the President (when his team won their sport's championship and was invited to the White House and declined/refused to attend.)

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

Who said this?
I remember that. I lost some respect for him because it showed that his political views were ridiculous, but that didn't mean I liked his skills any the less or thought that his refusal was out of bounds.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 11:37 AM   #828
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Who said this?
Objectivist zombies, or their functional equivalent, have rights, too. And?
Old 13th October 2017, 11:52 AM   #829
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Who said this?
No surprise at all in the spoiler. Pretty much FMOTL language there.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:29 PM   #830
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

That's OK. I still have his bobblehead above my TV
Old 13th October 2017, 12:34 PM   #831
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Trump's?

Huh
Old 13th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #832
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Trump's?

Huh
Ha ha! Ha ha.

Very good. Unrelated to anyone mentioned in the immediate discussion, but absurdist humor is sometimes great.

Oh my, keep then coming!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by phiwum; 13th October 2017 at 12:39 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 12:40 PM   #833
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump's?

Huh
"The bobblest head ever. No head bobbles as much as mine. Many people are saying they've never seen such a great bobble."
Old 13th October 2017, 12:41 PM   #834
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Ha ha! Ha ha.

Very good. Unrelated to anyone mentioned in the immediate discussion, but absurdist humor is sometimes great.

Oh my, keep then coming!

You know you are in the thread entitled: Trump and the NFL Boycott, right?

Just checking...

yikes
Old 13th October 2017, 12:54 PM   #835
phiwum
Philosopher

You know you are in the thread entitled: Trump and the NFL Boycott, right?

Just checking...

yikes
You know the post was in response to the discussion about Thomas ditching the Obama White House.

Old 13th October 2017, 01:07 PM   #836
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You know the post was in response to the discussion about Thomas ditching the Obama White House.

I do? Well we have a magical quote a post feature that could have cleared that right up, now don't we.

Instead?

MAGA
Old 13th October 2017, 06:01 PM   #837
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Who said this?

Cool story, bro.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:17 AM   #838
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Declining football game television ratings will cut into Twenty-First Century Fox's earnings, according to one Wall Street firm.
Credit Suisse lowered its price target and earnings per share forecasts for the media company, citing Fox's poor Sunday NFL ratings.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:26 AM   #839
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Declining football game television ratings will cut into Twenty-First Century Fox's earnings, according to one Wall Street firm.
Credit Suisse lowered its price target and earnings per share forecasts for the media company, citing Fox's poor Sunday NFL ratings.
Yet more good news from where I sit. So far, the only bad news is that Trump appears to be winning the twitter war. NFL popularity decline, loss of television revenue, Fox having overpaid and losing money....? Hey, that's entertainment!

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 06:18 AM   #840
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/16/...isse-says.html

Credit Suisse cut its third-quarter EPS estimates on CBS by 5 percent, citing the company's softer Sunday NFL ratings.
The firm's new estimate is $1.08, below the Wall Street consensus estimate of $1.12.
Credit Suisse maintained its outperform rating on CBS shares

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics