ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 24th September 2017, 03:13 PM   #81
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's a distraction. Every second the MSM spends talking about it is a second they aren't talking about the R's third failure to pass take away health care.
Yeah but unlike the health care debate, this one seems to have the risk of actually harming Trump.

Think about it... the majority of Americans favor keeping Obamacare. Were Trump to actually get health care reform changed, he and the Republicans would actually loose support. By focusing on sports, people are reminded just how out of touch Trump is.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 03:49 PM   #82
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
One more reason for me to like Mike Tomlin. Good call.
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So is there any evidence of an actual boycott or was just another ineffectual Trump Tantrum?
The latter?

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How the heck did we determine it is about respect for first responders and the military? I thought a national anthem was there for all of us?
Well, it's supposed to be ... that's the theory, anyway.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:13 PM   #83
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Trump certainly knows how to unite America.... against him!

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/912...601600/video/1

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:15 PM   #84
chrispy
Critical Thinker

yeah, yeah. I know, it's the Huffpost, but still a good breakdown of all protests (and not) by NFL teams so far today...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:15 PM   #85
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I have arbitrarily decided that anyone that doesn't stand up at 10:37 AM and say "bleeg blort" is disrespecting our nations kindergarten teachers. They put in lot of work for our kids and I find it infuriating that so many people don't show them respect by engaging in a weird ceremony I just made up.
There's a difference between your arbitrary decision and a convention enshrined in a national code.

Don't get me wrong. I think that taking a knee is a respectful protest. I'm just saying that your reductio doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:25 PM   #86
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
There's a difference between your arbitrary decision and a convention enshrined in a national code.

Don't get me wrong. I think that taking a knee is a respectful protest. I'm just saying that your reductio doesn't work.

No, there isn't.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:31 PM   #87
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good evening. I wonder what this distraction was designed to distract from? Air Force One communications transcripts? Kushner's (and other white house personnels) use of personal email accounts ? Mueller's tightening noose on the President? So hard to tell anymore.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:50 PM   #88
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good evening. I wonder what this distraction was designed to distract from? Air Force One communications transcripts? Kushner's (and other white house personnels) use of personal email accounts ? Mueller's tightening noose on the President? So hard to tell anymore.
I think it's displacement behaviour by Trump. A retreat from all the real stuff which is overwhelming him.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 04:53 PM   #89
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
One more reason for me to like Mike Tomlin. Good call. The latter?
Good move considering the game was at Soldier Field in Chicago, an actual war memorial
Old 24th September 2017, 05:02 PM   #90
p0lka
Muse

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-speech-243065

I'm wondering why anyone should be obligated to "show respect" towards the military and "first responders" during a sports game of all events. I mean surely they can have other events, parades or public holidays explicitly set aside for showing public support for the military and others.

Why not go all in and make it a criminal offense to not stand and sing to the national anthem at cinemas, theaters and other venues? All students at public (and private) schools should be obligated to make the pledge of allegiance in front of the American flag and a portrait of the current President when the school day begins, during lunch and when it ends.
well, if its good enough for north korea
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 05:12 PM   #91
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I think it's displacement behaviour by Trump. A retreat from all the real stuff which is overwhelming him.
In one short interview, he said that he wasn't watching a game today, "believe me" - which means he was watching football instead of attending to the urgent problems of the nation that need solving.
Old 24th September 2017, 05:30 PM   #92
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Sadly, the Pittsburgh Penguins seems to be bucking the trend...

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...at-white-house
The Pittsburgh Penguins announced in a statement Sunday morning that the team would visit the White House following its 2016-17 Stanley Cup title:

"The Pittsburgh Penguins respect the institution of the Office of the President, and the long tradition of championship teams visiting the White House. We attended White House ceremonies after previous championships—touring the historic building and visiting briefly with Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama—and have accepted an invitation to attend again this year. Any agreement or disagreement with a president's politics, policies or agenda can be expressed in other ways. However, we very much respect the rights of other individuals and groups to express themselves as they see fit."

I think this may be the first time I've been embarrassed to be a hockey fan. Then I remember, its the Penguins, a team I've hated for decades, due to their hypocritical whining.
Honestly, let them go. I'd rather they not, but I can understand going to see as much of the White House as possible. Kneeling is *supposed* to be about police Brutality, not about Toupee Fiasco. I guess if you just want to show him you're strong, you stand and link arms or something. And thanks to Stevie Wonder for dropping to both knees, if you're going to be talking about God and Peace.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 06:03 PM   #93
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Sadly, the Pittsburgh Penguins seems to be bucking the trend...

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...at-white-house
The Pittsburgh Penguins announced in a statement Sunday morning that the team would visit the White House following its 2016-17 Stanley Cup title:

"The Pittsburgh Penguins respect the institution of the Office of the President, and the long tradition of championship teams visiting the White House. We attended White House ceremonies after previous championships—touring the historic building and visiting briefly with Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama—and have accepted an invitation to attend again this year. Any agreement or disagreement with a president's politics, policies or agenda can be expressed in other ways. However, we very much respect the rights of other individuals and groups to express themselves as they see fit."

I think this may be the first time I've been embarrassed to be a hockey fan. Then I remember, its the Penguins, a team I've hated for decades, due to their hypocritical whining.
Do the Penguins have any US players?

Regardless, it's a nice divisive picture for Trump. See, now here's some good clean white boys who understand! Yeah, they happen to be from The Ukraine, Russia, Finland, Sweden Canada and the Czech Republic but you can see good Aryan stock gets our message!

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 06:06 PM   #94
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

How the heck did we determine it is about respect for first responders and the military? I thought a national anthem was there for all of us?
That was determined by the right wing spinorama. They can't say, "And now, a moment of silence before the game for the trigger happy cops around the country". That sounds kinda heartless. So it becomes a generic "show support and respect for first responders" because it demonizes the protesters as being against that nice EMS gal who saved Uncle Orville when he got his junk caught in the vacuum cleaner.

Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 06:26 PM   #95
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Good move considering the game was at Soldier Field in Chicago, an actual war memorial
And the Chicago PD has a serious history of civil rights abuses.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 06:27 PM   #96
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Do the Penguins have any US players?
17 of 43, according to this post. But it would be evil for any of those furriners not to respect the US anthem, of course.
Old 24th September 2017, 06:49 PM   #97
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Kneeling is *supposed* to be about police Brutality, not about Toupee Fiasco.
Here's the thing... Trump seems to be in support of police brutality. For example:
- His pardoning of Arpiao, who was convicted of racial profiling
- His support of "stop and frisk" laws, which generally target minorities
- Trump's comments about police officers 'roughing up' suspects (e.g. don't be "nice" when putting suspects in the police car.)

So yeah, even though the issue of police brutality may predate Putin's U.S. election win, the issue of police brutality and toupee fiasco are currently linked.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:12 PM   #98
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
"Total disrespect of our heritage, a total disrespect of everything that we stand for. Everything that we stand for."

But it isn't a disrespect everything we stand for. It is everything we stand for. SAD!
But they are not standing
Old 24th September 2017, 07:21 PM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
This festering pile of dog **** isn't going to rest until he gets a war of some kind. Nuclear, race, civil war, something.
All of which have been brewing for decades. Let's get at least one of them over already.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:30 PM   #100
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Who here thinks the player protests will
1) increase NFL ratings
2) decrease NFL ratings
3) have no effect on NFL ratings

I predict #2. That's what happened last time, I don't see any reason the dynamic will change this time.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:30 PM   #101
Fidelio
Muse

Been not exactly boycotting, but not watching because it bores the **** outa me.

Boy howdy! Do we have one classy president or what?

Edit to add:

Gold plated does not equal class.

Last edited by Fidelio; 24th September 2017 at 07:33 PM.
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:39 PM   #102
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Who here thinks the player protests will
1) increase NFL ratings
2) decrease NFL ratings
3) have no effect on NFL ratings

I predict #2. That's what happened last time, I don't see any reason the dynamic will change this time.
Sort of the point. The right thing is seldom popular.
Old 24th September 2017, 07:41 PM   #103
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Sort of the point. The right thing is seldom popular.
Often times, the wrong thing is also unpopular. You can't point to unpopularity as an indicator of which it is.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:52 PM   #104
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Often times, the wrong thing is also unpopular. You can't point to unpopularity as an indicator of which it is.
So it seems like no one involved thinks they are going to be good for ratings.
Old 24th September 2017, 08:13 PM   #105
Segnosaur
Philosopher

I think it may be good for a week or 2, as people tune in to see "What will the players/league be doing this week. After that, the curiosity will die down and ratings will probably stabilize and return to what they would have been if the Racist Orangutan-in-charge had never said anything about the NFL.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 24th September 2017, 08:23 PM   #106
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I have no idea and I don't care.

NFL ratings bounce up and down; they were on a downtrend. I suspect that the number of people tuning in just to see the political shenanigans won't be offset by the downward trending ratings due to lack of competitive games. I think I read that the average (AVERAGE!) victory margin in the first two weeks is almost two converted TDs.

Week 1 was down, also. Because of protests? I doubt it. It wasn't front page Trump News and there weren't that many athletes protesting. The idea that a Ravens fan would tune out or walk out because one of the (how many? 70?) players on the side lines took a knee in protest is rather absurd.

Old 24th September 2017, 08:45 PM   #107
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

Find me where in the code it says that taking a knee during the anthem means that it disrespects veterans.
Old 24th September 2017, 09:03 PM   #108
Mumbles
Illuminator

Here's the thing... Trump seems to be in support of police brutality. For example:
- His pardoning of Arpiao, who was convicted of racial profiling
- His support of "stop and frisk" laws, which generally target minorities
- Trump's comments about police officers 'roughing up' suspects (e.g. don't be "nice" when putting suspects in the police car.)

So yeah, even though the issue of police brutality may predate Putin's U.S. election win, the issue of police brutality and toupee fiasco are currently linked.
I know that, and violent policing is one reason I consider him a white supremacist (along with appointing Jeff Sessions as Attorney General - back to the war on some people who use drugs). But the issue's been around for decades, and thanks to random police being given military surplus for so long, Ferguson managed to become the worst policing disaster in a long time - and I lived through the Charles Stuart case back in 1989 in Boston. The cops then were completely out of control, but at least they weren't teargassing entire residential neighborhoods.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 09:44 PM   #109
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Now I'm confused

http://i.imgur.com/eUnS2r2.jpg
Old 24th September 2017, 09:57 PM   #110
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

More silly Trump stuff.

Make USA football safer. I played it as a teenager. I got my bell rung a couple of times and was carried off the field. We may have gotten penalized for delay of game, but I can't recall much about those games.
Old 24th September 2017, 11:22 PM   #111
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
Really? You have sports stadiums named WAR memorial???????

Wiki's current list.

War Memorial Stadium is the official name of several stadiums in the United States:
  • War Memorial Stadium (Arkansas), in Little Rock, Arkansas
  • War Memorial Stadium (Buffalo), in Buffalo, New York, now demolished
  • War Memorial Stadium (Hampton), in Hampton, Virginia
  • War Memorial Stadium (Hawaii), in Wailuku, Hawaii
  • War Memorial Stadium (Wyoming), in Laramie, Wyoming
War Memorial Stadium is also the popular name of other currently existing facilities:
It bears noting that this does not reflect any stadiums which had previously been named War Memorial and had the name shortened simply to Memorial, another common name.

We have plenty of Memorial Stadiums;

• Memorial Stadium (Bakersfield), Bakersfield, California
  • California Memorial Stadium, University of California, Berkeley, California
  • Memorial Stadium (Storrs), University of Connecticut (Storrs, Connecticut)
  • Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium, Sanford, Florida
  • A. J. McClung Memorial Stadium, Columbus, Georgia
  • Memorial Stadium (Savannah), Savannah, Georgia
  • Memorial Stadium (Boise), Boise, Idaho
  • Memorial Stadium (Champaign), University of Illinois (Champaign, Illinois)
  • Memorial Stadium (Indiana University old), Indiana University (1925–1959)
  • Memorial Stadium (Indiana), Indiana University (Bloomington, Indiana)
  • Memorial Stadium (Fort Wayne), Fort Wayne, Indiana
  • Memorial Stadium (Terre Haute), Indiana State University (Terre Haute, Indiana)
  • Memorial Stadium (University of Kansas), Lawrence, Kansas
  • Memorial Stadium (Kansas State), Manhattan, Kansas
  • Memorial Stadium (Maine), Portland, Maine
  • Memorial Stadium (Baltimore), Baltimore, Maryland
  • Memorial Stadium (University of Minnesota), Minneapolis, Minnesota (1924–1981)
  • Memorial Stadium (Columbia), University of Missouri (Columbia, Missouri)
  • Memorial Stadium (Lincoln), University of Nebraska, Nebraska
  • Memorial Stadium (Wayne State), Wayne State College (Wayne, Nebraska)
  • Memorial Stadium (Asheville), a multi-use stadium located in Asheville, North Carolina.
  • American Legion Memorial Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina
  • Memorial Stadium (University of North Dakota), Grand Forks, North Dakota
  • Memorial Stadium (Kent State), Kent State University (Kent, Ohio)
    • Dix Stadium, Kent State University, known as Memorial Stadium from 1969–71, Kent, Ohio
  • Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, University of Oklahoma (Norman, Oklahoma)
  • Christy Mathewson–Memorial Stadium, Bucknell University (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania)
  • Memorial Stadium (Clemson), Clemson University (Clemson, South Carolina)
  • Memorial Stadium (Johnson City, Tennessee), listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in Washington County, Tennessee
  • Memorial Stadium (Alice, Texas), Alice, Texas
  • Darrell K. Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium, University of Texas at Austin (Austin, Texas)
  • Memorial Stadium (Texas A&M–Commerce), Commerce, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Mesquite, Texas), Mesquite, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Tarleton State), Stephenville, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Wichita Falls), Wichita Falls, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Seattle), Seattle, Washington
  • Memorial Stadium (Spokane), the original name of Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane, Washington
Of course, not all of those were named in memory of one or more wars, but most of them were.

The list is not comprehensive, though. For example the Durham County Stadium is technically named the "Durham County Memorial Stadium".

And I don't think it includes all of the stadiums which were renamed, often by means of the naming rights being sold to raise cash for the municipality that owns it.

And then there are also the facilities not labeled as a "stadium".

Memorial Coliseum (disambiguation)
Memorial Field (disambiguation)
Memorial Gymnasium (disambiguation)
Veterans Memorial Stadium (disambiguation)
Old 25th September 2017, 12:54 AM   #112
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith questioned why President Trump was condemning NFL players more strongly than he did white supremacists last month.

Smith called Trump’s criticism of NFL players who kneel during the anthem “alarming” because he was “targeting the NFL, targeting the quality and character of guys in this league for that very protest," according to the Kansas City Star.

“It’s the same guy who couldn’t condemn violent neo-Nazis. And he’s condemning guys taking a knee during the anthem,” Smith said.

“There are bigger issues out there that he probably should be worried about. But for some reason the NFL is on his mind.”

Smith said it was “uncomfortable” for him to talk politics but that “it struck a chord a little bit to see guys get attacked for a peaceful protest.”
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...s-more-harshly

Good point. Maybe if the neo-nazis were black Trump wouldn't hesitate for a second to bash them harshly.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 25th September 2017 at 12:57 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 01:04 AM   #113
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Coming very late to this particular party

Here in the UK there are lots of "Memorial" venues, though often smaller village halls and the like. My take on the naming is not "Hoorah ! Go military" but rather the effect on the local community of so many young men dying, the need to commemorate them and a desire that such a thing should never happen again.

Regarding the whole spat - what a bizarre thing for the leader of the free world to get so exercised about. As others in this thread have pointed out, maybe it's to deflect and distract from other events, then again it could be another example of President Trump's ability to get distracted easily. A couple of things have interested me.

President Trump has used the word "heritage" prominently again in a tweet. Is this a nod and a wink to the racists and neo-Confederates or have I become hypersensitive ?

I also not that President Trump has decided that standing and linking arms is OK whereas taking a knee is not. Is this because white players have been primarily doing the former and black players the latter ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 01:29 AM   #114
angrysoba
Philosophile

Unbelievable! Some guys fought and died for American freedom and what do some Americans do? They do whatever they damn well please! It's an outrage!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 02:13 AM   #115
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

The BBC is now showing footage of this, in my view it is the most civil and respectful protest I have seen. IMHO, those kneeling are, by risking their careers (at least) to try and help make their country a better place showing themselves to be far greater patriots than those who favour a piece of cloth over their own countrymen.

One might almost feel that religions have it right about the dangers of idolatry.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 02:40 AM   #116
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Wiki's current list.

War Memorial Stadium is the official name of several stadiums in the United States:
  • War Memorial Stadium (Arkansas), in Little Rock, Arkansas
  • War Memorial Stadium (Buffalo), in Buffalo, New York, now demolished
  • War Memorial Stadium (Hampton), in Hampton, Virginia
  • War Memorial Stadium (Hawaii), in Wailuku, Hawaii
  • War Memorial Stadium (Wyoming), in Laramie, Wyoming
War Memorial Stadium is also the popular name of other currently existing facilities:
It bears noting that this does not reflect any stadiums which had previously been named War Memorial and had the name shortened simply to Memorial, another common name.

We have plenty of Memorial Stadiums;

• Memorial Stadium (Bakersfield), Bakersfield, California
  • California Memorial Stadium, University of California, Berkeley, California
  • Memorial Stadium (Storrs), University of Connecticut (Storrs, Connecticut)
  • Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium, Sanford, Florida
  • A. J. McClung Memorial Stadium, Columbus, Georgia
  • Memorial Stadium (Savannah), Savannah, Georgia
  • Memorial Stadium (Boise), Boise, Idaho
  • Memorial Stadium (Champaign), University of Illinois (Champaign, Illinois)
  • Memorial Stadium (Indiana University old), Indiana University (1925–1959)
  • Memorial Stadium (Indiana), Indiana University (Bloomington, Indiana)
  • Memorial Stadium (Fort Wayne), Fort Wayne, Indiana
  • Memorial Stadium (Terre Haute), Indiana State University (Terre Haute, Indiana)
  • Memorial Stadium (University of Kansas), Lawrence, Kansas
  • Memorial Stadium (Kansas State), Manhattan, Kansas
  • Memorial Stadium (Maine), Portland, Maine
  • Memorial Stadium (Baltimore), Baltimore, Maryland
  • Memorial Stadium (University of Minnesota), Minneapolis, Minnesota (1924–1981)
  • Memorial Stadium (Columbia), University of Missouri (Columbia, Missouri)
  • Memorial Stadium (Lincoln), University of Nebraska, Nebraska
  • Memorial Stadium (Wayne State), Wayne State College (Wayne, Nebraska)
  • Memorial Stadium (Asheville), a multi-use stadium located in Asheville, North Carolina.
  • American Legion Memorial Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina
  • Memorial Stadium (University of North Dakota), Grand Forks, North Dakota
  • Memorial Stadium (Kent State), Kent State University (Kent, Ohio)
    • Dix Stadium, Kent State University, known as Memorial Stadium from 1969–71, Kent, Ohio
  • Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, University of Oklahoma (Norman, Oklahoma)
  • Christy Mathewson–Memorial Stadium, Bucknell University (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania)
  • Memorial Stadium (Clemson), Clemson University (Clemson, South Carolina)
  • Memorial Stadium (Johnson City, Tennessee), listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in Washington County, Tennessee
  • Memorial Stadium (Alice, Texas), Alice, Texas
  • Darrell K. Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium, University of Texas at Austin (Austin, Texas)
  • Memorial Stadium (Texas A&M–Commerce), Commerce, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Mesquite, Texas), Mesquite, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Tarleton State), Stephenville, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Wichita Falls), Wichita Falls, Texas
  • Memorial Stadium (Seattle), Seattle, Washington
  • Memorial Stadium (Spokane), the original name of Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane, Washington
Of course, not all of those were named in memory of one or more wars, but most of them were.

The list is not comprehensive, though. For example the Durham County Stadium is technically named the "Durham County Memorial Stadium".

And I don't think it includes all of the stadiums which were renamed, often by means of the naming rights being sold to raise cash for the municipality that owns it.

And then there are also the facilities not labeled as a "stadium".

Memorial Coliseum (disambiguation)
Memorial Field (disambiguation)
Memorial Gymnasium (disambiguation)
Veterans Memorial Stadium (disambiguation)

Honestly that shocks me...sadly it shouldn't
Old 25th September 2017, 02:47 AM   #117
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
We used to have presidents that presidented, instead of getting involved in entertainment industry spats.
Seem to have gotten a family of dumb grifters.
Old 25th September 2017, 03:32 AM   #118
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Seem to have gotten a family of dumb grifters.
As opposed to the previous, supposed intelligent, family of gritters?
Old 25th September 2017, 03:39 AM   #119
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
All of which have been brewing for decades. Let's get at least one of them over already.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
I would have thought you would have had enough of war by now.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:01 AM   #120
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Did I miss something here?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics