ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 25th September 2017, 04:04 AM   #121
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
As opposed to the previous, supposed intelligent, family of gritters?
Yes, there is somewhat of a contrast between the previous administration and that of today.
Old 25th September 2017, 04:04 AM   #122
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I never understood that criticism. All candidates are supposed to go out and shake hands, meet people, display a certain amount of the common touch. So he plays Saxaphone on a late night show. So what? Lots of people like to play music on the side.
I'm 43. I'm old enough (or was young enough) to remember Reagan (and every President since.)

Both Bushes weren't "people." They were cold visages of what they thought a President should be.

Reagan, you could see his personality shine through at times.
Same with Clinton and Obama. You could tell when they let their Presidential guard down for a few minutes and became a person - and it was nice to see.

Trump. I don't know if he ever was Presidential.

Back to the topic at hand.

I wonder what is going to happen when the NBA's season starts in a little more than a month.
Old 25th September 2017, 04:37 AM   #123
Parsman
Critical Thinker

As opposed to the previous, supposed intelligent, family of gritters?
Aside from Michelle's role as First lady, who in Obama's family or immediate circle were employed at the White House? If there was grift, it was incredibly minor. Now, with Don Donald in charge, how many of his family and made men are we seeing in positions of power? That is the kind of obvious difference.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:39 AM   #124
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Find me where in the code it says that taking a knee during the anthem means that it disrespects veterans.
Of course, it doesn't say anything about what it means. But there is an explicit code about how one ought to behave regarding the flag and explicitly it says that one ought to stand for the anthem and face the flag.

This is a long-held tradition. Like other forms of etiquette, there is some arbitrariness to it, but it wasn't pulled out of thin air last Tuesday.

(Again, I'm not saying that the protestors aren't behaving reasonably. I'm merely saying that those who argue the protestors should stand aren't being bizarre or arbitrary.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:45 AM   #125
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Wow! Your president is an absolute twat!
You just noticed?

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
US Flag Code
Seems it's seldom applied.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:47 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
For the first - how do you separate "politics" from the giant flag being held over the field (in violation of the Flag Code) and the National Anthem? That's inherently political. As I recall, that's not done in other countries at all, and kneeling is a compromise - he sat at first, but after speaking with a vet, they worked out that he should kneel instead, to show respect for the unarmed and innocent people brutalized by police.

For the second...well, exactly. Of course, Toupee Fiasco barged his way into it to make it about himself, but I expect to see quite a few more people taking a knee. I know it's spread to the WNBA and sometimes children's games. The MLB player kinda surprised me, though - he hasn't slapped any baseball player (yet).
Hmm think he will order the military to stop advertising so heavily on football? What would cutting out that stream of cash do to the league?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:50 AM   #127
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's amazing how neither he nor his sycophants seem to suffering from whiplash with the shift in gears from "down with PC culture" to "people should be fired for their political views!"
Stifling speech is only ever ok when your group does it.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:51 AM   #128
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Reagan, you could see his personality shine through at times.
Same with Clinton and Obama. You could tell when they let their Presidential guard down for a few minutes and became a person - and it was nice to see.

Trump. I don't know if he ever was Presidential.
But he is letting us see his personality.
Old 25th September 2017, 04:51 AM   #129
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Any guess on when these will stop being anti american protests and instead be the kind of truly american heroes that transcend race like Muhammad Ali?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 05:01 AM   #130
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
He's an addict.
"Hello, my name is Donald."
"Hello, Donald!"
"...and I have a problem."

The only issue is that Trump could never participate in a 12-step program because it requires you to put your life and fate in the hands of a higher power, and there is no power higher than Trump in his mind.

Old 25th September 2017, 06:05 AM   #131
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The Donald certainly has set new standards. They'll be mighty tough for any subsequent President to crawl under.

Who would expected that we could look at President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho and think "He's not so bad after all."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 06:41 AM   #132
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Any guess on when these will stop being anti american protests and instead be the kind of truly american heroes that transcend race like Muhammad Ali?

I'm going to go with "yesterday". There were enough players contributing to the protest that if they were to fire all these "sons of bitches", the league would essentially cease to function. That seems like a tipping point to me.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Who would expected that we could look at President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho and think "He's not so bad after all."

Hey, I never thought President Camacho was bad. Sure, he was stupid, but so was everyone else. And he at least had an honest desire to try to improve things, and took significant actions to do just that after seeking out the advice of the smartest person in the world.

We should be so lucky as to have someone like him as POTUS.
Old 25th September 2017, 06:44 AM   #133
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
President Donald Trump continued his tirade Monday morning against the NFL and its players who refuse to stand for the national anthem, demanding that the league “respect” the anthem and praising NASCAR for its “loud and clear” position on the issue.

“Many people booed the players who kneeled yesterday (which was a small percentage of total). These are fans who demand respect for our Flag!” Trump wrote online Monday. “The issue of kneeling has nothing to do with race. It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL must respect this!”

He started his tweets with praise for NASCAR, writing: “So proud of NASCAR and its supporters and fans. They won't put up with disrespecting our Country or our Flag - they said it loud and clear!”

Multiple team owners from NASCAR, the stock car racing league that is especially popular in the South and in more rural parts of the U.S., took a tougher stance than those from the NFL, warning that they would fire crew members or drivers who protested during the anthem. The Associated Press reported that Sunday’s race in New Hampshire appeared to be protest-free during the anthem.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-nascar-243091

The question is: would anyone who races in NASCAR actually want to protest against racial injustice rather than for it?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 06:57 AM   #134
Argumemnon
World Maker

Why do they even play national anthems at sports games, anyway?

Old 25th September 2017, 07:00 AM   #135
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I think that goes back further than the more modern paid patriotism that the military pays professional sports.

Apparently that dates to WWI

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9d1d3dc8feb2
Old 25th September 2017, 07:17 AM   #136
newyorkguy
Philosopher

That's pretty cool that Kansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith took a stand the way he did. I've never been much of an Alex Smith fan but I am now!

Quote:
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith questioned why President Trump was condemning NFL players more strongly than he did white supremacists last month...Smith said it was “uncomfortable” for him to talk politics but that “it struck a chord a little bit to see guys get attacked for a peaceful protest.”
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 07:22 AM   #137
angrysoba
Philosophile

You just noticed?
No, I haven't just noticed, but it really is remarkable how he hasn't slid into a low-level background twattishness, but somehow always outdoes himself.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 07:27 AM   #138
Argumemnon
World Maker

Well, you gotta hand it to him, if anything, he's entertaining.

Old 25th September 2017, 07:48 AM   #139
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, you gotta hand it to him, if anything, he's entertaining.
He knows how to get viewer ratings.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 07:51 AM   #140
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

At an international match I can get it, but hate it.

The worst of the worst happens in major track events such as The Olympics. If a winning athlete didn't run to the crowd and get their national flag to hang round their shoulders their "disrespect" would be all over the front pages of the tabloid papers. No cosy sponsorship deals for them! Pretty often they even neglect congratulating their fellow-competitors in their hurry to grab a ******* flag.
Old 25th September 2017, 07:52 AM   #141
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

This isn't entertaining. Not in the slightest. It's horrifying.
Old 25th September 2017, 08:27 AM   #142
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It was a good while before Ali made that leap from the former to the latter, though. He was all but blacklisted for a long time for his refusal to fight for his country.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 08:29 AM   #143
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Isn't it a legal / constitutional issue when the President of the United States issues statements [= Government action] calling for suppression of Article 1 for specific individuals?
Old 25th September 2017, 08:46 AM   #144
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Isn't it a legal / constitutional issue when the President of the United States issues statements [= Government action] calling for suppression of Article 1 for specific individuals?
Yes, you would think so.

But today we're all about the outrage. We're about pissing and moaning about them protesting, and not really giving 2 ***** about why.
Old 25th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #145
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Yes, you would think so.

But today we're all about the outrage. We're about pissing and moaning about them protesting, and not really giving 2 ***** about why.
Admittedly no one liked agitators like King at the time they were protesting either.
Old 25th September 2017, 08:52 AM   #146
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

No.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 08:53 AM   #147
d4m10n
Master Poster

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nd-Anthem.html
President Donald Trump has ratcheted up the national controversy over black National Football League players who refuse to stand while the U.S. National Anthem is played before games.
Is there some way to explain to conservatives that standing up for the anthem is (1) an act of symbolic speech and (2) consummately politically correct? Then hopefully they will come to understand that what they are really asking the NFL to do is create safe spaces free from offensive political incorrectness.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:07 AM   #148
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Is there some way to explain to conservatives that standing up for the anthem is (1) an act of symbolic speech and (2) consummately politically correct? Then hopefully they will come to understand that what they are really asking the NFL to do is create safe spaces free from offensive political incorrectness.
While most of the Pittsburgh Steelers stayed in the locker room during the national anthem yesterday, one guy went out for it.

He is being praised today for having the courage to stand alone.

Colin Kaepernick, OTOH, was a punk when he was the only one not standing.
Old 25th September 2017, 09:08 AM   #149
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Not much of a con law scholar, are you?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:13 AM   #150
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

In the "There's a Tweet for that" category:

From 2013
Quote:
President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense
Now, he tells the NFL to fire anyone who protests during the National Anthem.

But it's not inconsistent, no. Ed Brayton sums it up nicely

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatc...rd-law-motion/
Quote:
He was on the side of racism then and he’s on the side of racism now.
Old 25th September 2017, 09:16 AM   #151
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Not much of a con law scholar, are you?
More than some, less than others.

The President calling for sanctions on USA businesses because of how they handle first amendment issues seems problematic to me.

I just wonder why it's not problematic to #MAGA folks. Wasn't the first amendment one of the things that #MAGB (Made America Great Before)?
Old 25th September 2017, 09:18 AM   #152
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The President calling for sanctions on USA businesses because of how they handle first amendment issues seems problematic to me.

I just wonder why it's not problematic to #MAGA folks. Wasn't the first amendment one of the things that #MAGB (Made America Great Before)?
It is only for white christians though.
Old 25th September 2017, 09:35 AM   #153
sunmaster14
Philosopher

You referred to the First Amendment as Article I. Article I of the constitution establishes the legislative branch of the federal government.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:35 AM   #154
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Brainster was showing off. You said Article 1, meaning Amendment 1 or "The First Amendment".

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:36 AM   #155
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Ninja'd!
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:43 AM   #156
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
You referred to the First Amendment as Article I. Article I of the constitution establishes the legislative branch of the federal government.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Brainster was showing off. You said Article 1, meaning Amendment 1 or "The First Amendment".
Oops.

I'll bet I could vamp a way for Article I to apply to this situation...
Old 25th September 2017, 09:44 AM   #157
Argumemnon
World Maker

Deleted.

Old 25th September 2017, 10:07 AM   #158
The_Animus
Master Poster

A well known figure, greatly admired by Trump, tweeted that the president has more important things to focus on than the NFL.

This tweet came from Trump himself years ago during the whole Washington Redskins issue.

Another one for Trump Criticizes Trump

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 10:08 AM   #159
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a hilarious "Truth-O-Meter" column on Trump and the NFL, where they come to the conclusion that Trump's claim that the NFL's ratings are way down is Mostly False.

If you want to know why these columns have lost all credibility, this is a good example. The writer acknowledges that ratings were down 8% last year and could be headed for a similar decline in 2017:

Quote:
According to ESPN, NFL game broadcasters saw an average year-on-year drop in television viewership last season of 8 percent. Fox saw the lowest ratings since 2008 and ESPN since 2005.

Advertising Age media reporter Anthony Crupi told us he estimated a decline of around 9 percent in ratings since last year, although the only window to face a significant decline was the 1 p.m. regional games.
He acknowledges that surveys indicate that the protests are a big part of the declining ratings:

Quote:
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung pointed to a Seton Hall Sports Poll that found that 56 percent of 841 respondents cited players not standing for the national anthem as a reason for last year’s ratings drop.
But get this:

Quote:
Various pundits criticized the survey results as negligible, pointing out that for every one person turned off by protests, 10 NFL fans tuned in.
If you lost 1 fan out of 11, how much of a decline is that? A little over 9%.

So how does he conclude that the NFL ratings are not way down? A big part of his argument is laughable:

Quote:
It’s still a modest decline, according to Paulsen, because the NFL’s ratings are usually so strong — the NFL is the most popular televised sports event in the United States.
See? Because the ratings are usually so strong, even though they're not as strong now, that's not really a decline, because they're still strong compared to other sports:

Quote:
NASCAR ratings are in the cellar right now. The NBA had some of its lowest rated games ever on network television last year … It’s an industry-wide phenomenon and the NFL isn’t immune to it anymore."
If you lose 8% of your audience one year, and the next year you lose a further 9%, that's a pretty serious and steep decline. Advertisers pay for eyeballs, and if you have 83.72% of the eyeballs you used to have you are going to receive 83.72% of the advertising revenue you used to get.

You can argue that there are other factors involved, sure, and I would not dismiss that entirely. But it seems silly to claim, as Politifact does, that Trump's claim that NFL ratings are way down is mostly false, when it is so transparently true.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how things go over the next few weeks; I suspect there will be more protests and lower ratings. And more media people pretending there is no link between the two.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 10:22 AM   #160
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
A well known figure, greatly admired by Trump, tweeted that the president has more important things to focus on than the NFL.

This tweet came from Trump himself years ago during the whole Washington Redskins issue.

Another one for Trump Criticizes Trump
For those not aware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics