ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th September 2017, 11:44 PM   #121
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Unless somebody needs a computer, of course.

Dave
When you start to think about it it becomes even more ridiculous. With the lottery how much someone wins depends on the number of people participating that week (ignoring any "roll overs") . What he is claiming is that the spirit world manipulated literally millions of people for at least an entire week to provide him with the right amount of prize money he needed! His actual claim shows that the spirit world does not run to the rules he claims it does.
Old 29th September 2017, 11:46 PM   #122
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Define "define".
It is word used to ask people to provide the meaning of a word. The word you used "god" has many, many definitions so to be able to answer your question it is necessary for us to know which meaning you are using, without that your question is meaningless.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:16 AM   #123
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The medium that told me I had a brother that died in the war gave me his name, and the circumstances of his death.
I believe the spirit world wanted me to have a computer so I could do what I am doing, which is to express my views on various forums since 9/11 and do things like criticize the Quran. Mainly to try and show Muslims they are following a false prophet.
The universe does not need me to spread its message but it may think some good will come of me spreading what I have learned.

I think it is in the interests of the spirit world to free Muslims from a false doctrine of a fearful cruel God that was all made up by Muhammad to scare people, and I am someone with enough knowledge to know that after reading the Quran.
I think all that comes under the category that the spirit world is not allowed to directly interfere with human evolution. They are allowed to try to inspire people and give some comfort through spiritual teachings. But not to meddle directly in human affairs.
What a mass of contradictions.
You say the spirit world gave you details of your brother's death, but it cannot do the same for a victim of an unsolved murder. So they are limited to knowledge that is comforting, but not that could actually do anything useful. because your god wants comfort not justice. It is also worth noting that comfort actually does interfere with human evolution. More positive, active people, less depression, fewer suicides, less need for anti-depressants, better relationships, the list of things that are changed by a more positive mental state is pretty much endless.
You then go on to say that the spirit world wants you to proselityse Muslims, as if a shift in the beliefs of over a billion people would not in any way affect the evolution of human society.
It did this, as has been pointed out, by manipulating the results of a lottery in your favour, thus depriving someone else of that win, or creating one when there would not have been one otherwise- again, a direct intervention in human evolution. You've heard of the butterfly effect, right?
All this is based on a list of rules that you cannot state clearly, that you claim you got from a god that you "probably" believe in. If your belief on this god is only probable, then your certainty in the validity of these rules should also only be probable.
Old 30th September 2017, 06:06 AM   #124
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
When you start to think about it it becomes even more ridiculous. With the lottery how much someone wins depends on the number of people participating that week (ignoring any "roll overs") . What he is claiming is that the spirit world manipulated literally millions of people for at least an entire week to provide him with the right amount of prize money he needed! His actual claim shows that the spirit world does not run to the rules he claims it does.
No ! I am saying that in a particular week some spirit guide looked into the future and saw the lottery numbers. That spirit then gave me five winning numbers in advance of the draw by impressing the winning numbers on my mind telepathically. Then an hour before the draw a voice said. "You won" to confirm to me that they had helped me win.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 06:22 AM   #125
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
You say the spirit world gave you details of your brother's death, but it cannot do the same for a victim of an unsolved murder. So they are limited to knowledge that is comforting, but not that could actually do anything useful. because your god wants comfort not justice. It is also worth noting that comfort actually does interfere with human evolution. More positive, active people, less depression, fewer suicides, less need for anti-depressants, better relationships, the list of things that are changed by a more positive mental state is pretty much endless.
You then go on to say that the spirit world wants you to proselityse Muslims, as if a shift in the beliefs of over a billion people would not in any way affect the evolution of human society.
It did this, as has been pointed out, by manipulating the results of a lottery in your favour, thus depriving someone else of that win, or creating one when there would not have been one otherwise- again, a direct intervention in human evolution. You've heard of the butterfly effect, right?
All this is based on a list of rules that you cannot state clearly, that you claim you got from a god that you "probably" believe in. If your belief on this god is only probable, then your certainty in the validity of these rules should also only be probable.
In the course of attending spiritualist meetings I did hear a medium give a message of comfort to a woman who had a relative murdered. I can't remember all the details but I think it was the woman's daughter.
The medium told her the girl was safe in the spirit world and she did not remember much about her murder, as it was over quickly.

So mediums do give this kind of message to people that bother to attend spiritualist churches looking for comfort.

As for the spirits giving me a five number win on the lottery, it was some kind of special dispensation with a limited amount of money that does not involve much in the way of karmic consequences. That was 1998 and although I do the lottery every week they have not helped me since. Nor have I heard any voice telling me I would win. Only when I did win did I hear this voice, and it was a female voice.

I think the spirit world wants me to keep on criticizing Islam as it is terrible lies about God that enslave many peoples minds with fear of hellfire. I did convince one Muslim years ago on another forum and he gave up Islam. If he is the only one I have convinced then it will still be worth it.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 07:15 AM   #126
Autolite
Graduate Poster

I think Scorpion is starting to convince me. Several years ago I needed serious financial help. I wished that something, anything, would happen to relieve some of the burden. 4 months later I found 55 cents under the rear car seat.

That's just too uncanny to be a coincidence...
Old 30th September 2017, 08:07 AM   #127
barehl
Master Poster

Psychic Fail pt 1
Psychic Fail pt 2
Randi's Psychic Fails

Last edited by barehl; 30th September 2017 at 08:08 AM.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 08:26 AM   #128
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

...........I did convince one Muslim years ago on another forum and he gave up Islam. If he is the only one I have convinced then it will still be worth it.
Well I've done better than you. I have convinced two (South African) christians that there is no god, and they are now atheists. I have also managed to drag a bigfoot believer into scepticism, and a couple of youngsters who were into ghosts and spirits and other nonsense are now critical thinkers. That's 5 people rescued from woo into the real world. (None of the aforementioned are ISF forumites, BTW).
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 08:36 AM   #129
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

As for the spirits giving me a five number win on the lottery, it was some kind of special dispensation with a limited amount of money that does not involve much in the way of karmic consequences. That was 1998 and although I do the lottery every week they have not helped me since.
Try this:

Estimate how much you've spent on lottery tickets in your life. If you buy a single ticket a week that's £52 a year, or about a thousand pounds since 1998. I'm assuming you started before 1998 so it's more than that, and more again if you ever buy more than one ticket a week. Include scratch cards too, if you ever buy those.

Now subtract from that sum all the prizes you've won, including the much vaunted 5 number win. Is the figure you're left with positive or negative?

I'd be prepared to wager a small sum of my own that it's positive, i.e. that you would be better off if you'd never bought a ticket in your life, despite that lucky win.

When the lottery swindle started I chose my six numbers (it was the numbers of all the houses I'd lived in) and for the first few years I checked the winning numbers every week to see if I'd have won something if I'd bought a ticket. I kept a running tally of money saved by not buying a losing ticket against (much more rarely) money lost by not buying a winning one. When the amount I'd saved by not playing the lottery went over £100 I treated myself to a luxury item for that amount. I'd done that a couple of times before I got bored with it and stopped checking the numbers.

Last edited by Pixel42; 30th September 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 08:53 AM   #130
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Try this:

Estimate how much you've spent on lottery tickets in your life. If you buy a single ticket a week that's £52 a year, or about a thousand pounds since 1998. I'm assuming you started before 1998 so it's more than that, and more again if you ever buy more than one ticket a week. Include scratch cards too, if you ever buy those.

Now subtract from that sum all the prizes you've won, including the much vaunted 5 number win. Is the figure you're left with positive or negative?

I'd be prepared to wager a small sum of my own that it's positive, i.e. that you would be better off if you'd never bought a ticket in your life, despite that lucky win.

When the lottery swindle started I chose my six numbers (it was the numbers of all the houses I'd lived in) and for the first few years I checked the winning numbers every week to see if I'd have won something if I'd bought a ticket. I kept a running tally of money saved by not buying a losing ticket against (much more rarely) money lost by not buying a winning one. When the amount I'd saved by not playing the lottery went over £100 I treated myself to a luxury item for that amount. I'd done that a couple of times before I got bored with it and stopped checking the numbers.
There is no doubt I have paid back the £1182 that I won in 1998 several times over since then, as I do the lottery every draw. Including the euromillions.

The point is that at the time I won five numbers I was totally broke and could not see how I could afford a computer that could go online. I had maxed out my credit card and could not borrow any more money and I sat thinking to myself, I cannot even afford Christmas presents, let alone a computer.

It was as I was thinking this a female voice in my head said "help is coming from an unexpected source" That was a couple of days before I picked the five winning numbers. When I was picking the numbers I felt guided to certain numbers by a kind of telepathic prompting.

The same female voice then said to me one hour before the draw "you won"

I had never heard that voice before and I have never heard it since.

It is about 55000 to 1 against that you would get a five number win, and the odds against hearing a voice tell you, you won on the only occasion in over ten years that you did have a substantial win must be astronomical.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 30th September 2017, 09:05 AM   #131
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Perhaps if you hadn't been wasting your money on lottery tickets and other scams you wouldn't have been broke in the first place. Just a thought.

BTW my guess would be that the voice and being 'guided' to the numbers are after-the-fact embellishments (unconscious ones, I'm not accusing you of lying. Memory is notoriously unreliable about such things). You may well have had a premonition of good luck, but such premonitions are common and are only remembered (and sometimes embellished) on the rare occasions they come true.
Old 30th September 2017, 09:19 AM   #132
Scorpion
Muse

Perhaps if you hadn't been wasting your money on lottery tickets and other scams you wouldn't have been broke in the first place. Just a thought.

BTW my guess would be that the voice and being 'guided' to the numbers are after-the-fact embellishments (unconscious ones, I'm not accusing you of lying. Memory is notoriously unreliable about such things). You may well have had a premonition of good luck, but such premonitions are common and are only remembered (and sometimes embellished) on the rare occasions they come true.
I do not gamble in any other way than the lottery, and my circumstance of 1998 were difficult. I inherited some money a few years later and I can now afford to waste some on the outside chance of winning big on the lottery.
At the time it was my only hope.

I remember picking the numbers quite clearly and I floated the pen over the numbers on the lottery card, and when I passed it over certain numbers I felt a prompting sensation. I still try and do that but get no sense of any presence nor any prompting. Nor do I expect to, as it would be karmic to get a really big win by psychic means. It would mean you had cheated someone else out of the money by occult means, and that would have consequences.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 30th September 2017, 09:29 AM   #133
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

What you remember clearly and what actually happened may be two very different things. Again: I'm not accusing you of lying. Every time we retrieve a memory we may alter it before re-storing it, so to speak, so the more often a memory has been recalled the less likely it is to be accurate, ironically. This memory is obviously important to you, and has been retrieved and re-stored many times, so its accuracy is highly suspect.

Many people report having highly detailed important memories which they eventually discover (by comparing with other people present, say, or checking newspaper reports years later) bear hardly any resemblance to what actually happened. I've got a couple like that myself, things which I still remember clearly but know did not happen as I remember. So you can't just assume that your memory of this (or the 'accurate' mediums you've visited) is exactly what happened.
Old 30th September 2017, 09:36 AM   #134
Scorpion
Muse

What you remember clearly and what actually happened may be two very different things. Again: I'm not accusing you of lying. Every time we retrieve a memory we may alter it before re-storing it, so to speak, so the more often a memory has been recalled the less likely it is to be accurate, ironically. This memory is obviously important to you, and has been retrieved and re-stored many times, so its accuracy is highly suspect.

Many people report having highly detailed important memories which they eventually discover (by comparing with other people present, say, or checking newspaper reports years later) bear hardly any resemblance to what actually happened. I've got a couple like that myself, things which I still remember clearly but know did not happen as I remember. So you can't just assume that your memory of this (or the 'accurate' mediums you've visited) is exactly what happened.
You keep saying stuff like that about the memory, but I am quite clear that the basics of what I remember remain the same. I still remember exactly what the voice said to me, as can be proved by looking back at times I have posted it before in years gone by.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 30th September 2017, 09:56 AM   #135
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You keep saying stuff like that about the memory, but I am quite clear that the basics of what I remember remain the same.
I'm sure you are. But you might not be right.

Quote:
I still remember exactly what the voice said to me, as can be proved by looking back at times I have posted it before in years gone by.
Unless you recorded the details immediately, i.e. before the lottery win that supposedly confirmed the premonition, that's not much use I'm afraid. It's impossible to know how the memory had already morphed by the time you first set it down. Once set down it probably didn't change much (though if you check back you might be surprised).

A while back a poster here did an analysis of one of the television 'psychics' (John Edward, I think it was) and noticed that he had a trick he was particularly fond of. When the subjects of the reading were asked at the end how accurate it was they would marvel that Edward had known a key detail, like, for example, that their dead child's favourite toy was a Cabbage Patch doll. When the poster rewatched the show he found that the actual exchange had invariably gone like this:

Edward: Did your daughter have a favourite toy?
Parent: Yes, she had a Cabbage Patch doll she took with her everywhere
Edward: Because I can see a little girl here, and she's holding a Cabbage Patch doll

He would use this same trick almost every episode, and every time the subject would remember the important detail as having been provided by Edward when it had actually been provided by them. And this was just an hour or so after the reading had taken place.

This is just one of many ways that people can be fooled into thinking a reading was more accurate than was actually the case, and can unconsciously amend their memories to match what they'd like to be true.
Old 1st October 2017, 08:35 AM   #136
Autolite
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I don't really care what people choose to believe, who am I to tell them what to think? As long as they're not causing anyone any real harm then why bother? Some people like listening to Morrissey, who I think is a deplorable twat. Live and let live, innit.
Well believing in B.S. can be quite harmful. We should try to discourage belief in all brands of nonsense. Is it okay for someone to think that they've been cured of a fatal disease by visiting a faith healer or a 'psychic' surgeon?

One of the jobs in the military is finding and disposing (demolition) of UXO (Unexploded Ordnance). This means locating munitions and bombs and such that didn't 'go-off' or had only a partial explosion where there is still unexpended explosive remaining. For safety reasons, this stuff needs to be found, collected and properly disposed of.

I've actually seen a U.S. Army training manual that gave instructions on how to use dowsing rods to locate explosives. This kinda shocked me and I found it unsettling that the Army, at one time anyway, felt that this was a trusted method of finding hidden bombs.

Dowsing for explosives is still in some places today consider an acceptable practice...

http://www.ministryoftruth.me.uk/200...ves-detectors/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...or_explosives/

Last edited by Autolite; 1st October 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 03:21 PM   #137
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Scorpion's lottery story reminds me of prophets making vague predictions, which are only linked to specific events after those events occurred.

I'm also thinking about deja-vu, where you think you have experienced something before, but in fact you haven't.
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:02 AM   #138
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
In the course of attending spiritualist meetings I did hear a medium give a message of comfort to a woman who had a relative murdered. I can't remember all the details but I think it was the woman's daughter.
The medium told her the girl was safe in the spirit world and she did not remember much about her murder, as it was over quickly.

So mediums do give this kind of message to people that bother to attend spiritualist churches looking for comfort.

As for the spirits giving me a five number win on the lottery, it was some kind of special dispensation with a limited amount of money that does not involve much in the way of karmic consequences. That was 1998 and although I do the lottery every week they have not helped me since. Nor have I heard any voice telling me I would win. Only when I did win did I hear this voice, and it was a female voice.

I think the spirit world wants me to keep on criticizing Islam as it is terrible lies about God that enslave many peoples minds with fear of hellfire. I did convince one Muslim years ago on another forum and he gave up Islam. If he is the only one I have convinced then it will still be worth it.
Much of what you say here does little to answer my points, I'm afraid. What you do say raises more quesitons than it answers.
Why are there rules, if you can get "special dispensation"?
Is it only you that gets this dispensation?
How were you able to assess the "karmic consequences" of getting a computer?
You claim to have converted one Muslim away from his faith. How is that not interfering in human evolution? Why is it OK for the spirits to help you with this, and not other things? Is it just because you believe Islam is "terrible lies", and of more concern to you personally than solving murders of people you've never met?
With regard to the supposed contact with the murder victim: the message was so bland that it could have been about anyone. Why do you think this repsresents genuine communication from the spirit world?
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:30 AM   #139
Scorpion
Muse

Much of what you say here does little to answer my points, I'm afraid. What you do say raises more quesitons than it answers.
Why are there rules, if you can get "special dispensation"?
Is it only you that gets this dispensation?
How were you able to assess the "karmic consequences" of getting a computer?
You claim to have converted one Muslim away from his faith. How is that not interfering in human evolution? Why is it OK for the spirits to help you with this, and not other things? Is it just because you believe Islam is "terrible lies", and of more concern to you personally than solving murders of people you've never met?
With regard to the supposed contact with the murder victim: the message was so bland that it could have been about anyone. Why do you think this repsresents genuine communication from the spirit world?
Well some beings in the spirit world can see into the future, and I suspect it has to be a highly evolved soul, not just one of my departed relatives. So some evolved spirit made the decision to give me a small lottery win by telepathy, and it is their judgement that this was allowed, not mine.
In any case I have paid back that money several times over in the following years by loosing money on the lottery every week. If they had given me six numbers that would have been serious karma.

I think they want me to write about the flaws in the Quran because unlike Muslims I can see and understand what is wrong with it. I have learned much about spiritual matters from my years of attending trance lectures, and I am in a position to pass that information on. I am not psychic enough to get clear messages about murder victims and who was responsible for them. If I was I would probably give that information to the police. But the spirit world rarely say anything to me, and they are not trying to use me in that way.

The message to the lady about her murdered relative was specific enough to her and she seemed to agree with it. But I cannot really say much more than what I heard the medium say to her.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:18 AM   #140
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

No ! I am saying that in a particular week some spirit guide looked into the future and saw the lottery numbers. That spirit then gave me five winning numbers in advance of the draw by impressing the winning numbers on my mind telepathically. Then an hour before the draw a voice said. "You won" to confirm to me that they had helped me win.
These spirits sure are performing miracles for you, a random bloke who has claimed to suffer from mental illness, and yet they seem unconcerned about the rest of the world.

They send you winning lottery numbers, tell you to buy computers so that you can fight the good fight against people who believe in inferior God's, give you information about dead relatives... but the rest of the world is largely ignored by this all-seeing, all-knowing spirit.

Odd how these spirits always attach themselves to people who suffer mental issues, a bit like how those aliens always manage to abduct crazy rednecks from the backwoods.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:20 AM   #141
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:21 AM   #142
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Well I've done better than you. I have convinced two (South African) christians that there is no god, and they are now atheists. I have also managed to drag a bigfoot believer into scepticism, and a couple of youngsters who were into ghosts and spirits and other nonsense are now critical thinkers. That's 5 people rescued from woo into the real world. (None of the aforementioned are ISF forumites, BTW).
Now all you need to do is convince Scorpion to get back on the meds, then your karmic reward will surely be thrilling.

Old 2nd October 2017, 10:24 AM   #143
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I think they want me to write about the flaws in the Quran because unlike Muslims I can see and understand what is wrong with it. I have learned much about spiritual matters from my years of attending trance lectures, and I am in a position to pass that information on.
Ironically, you can't see or understand what's wrong with this entire line of thinking, and your years of attending trance lectures have not taught you much about how utterly tragic this line of thinking truly is, nor are you able to pass on much information that would be beneficial to anyone, save for a money-grabbing psychic who could no doubt convince you to write them a cheque.

Old 2nd October 2017, 10:30 AM   #144
Scorpion
Muse

These spirits sure are performing miracles for you, a random bloke who has claimed to suffer from mental illness, and yet they seem unconcerned about the rest of the world.

They send you winning lottery numbers, tell you to buy computers so that you can fight the good fight against people who believe in inferior God's, give you information about dead relatives... but the rest of the world is largely ignored by this all-seeing, all-knowing spirit.

Odd how these spirits always attach themselves to people who suffer mental issues, a bit like how those aliens always manage to abduct crazy rednecks from the backwoods.
Mentally ill people are most likely to be more sensitive to psychic energy than normal people who are closed to such things by a healthy aura, and balanced chakras. In my case I could feel energy flowing through my chakras and it felt like fire. I searched for answers to this for years and finally a medium told me the cause was that my etheric body was loose.
I had a lot of spiritual healing and eventually the disturbing feelings stopped, but in the process I had become aware of the realty of psychic energy.

The spirits are concerned about the world, and they do much work behind the scenes, and they inspire many people who may never realize they were inspired by spiritual influences.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:37 AM   #145
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Mentally ill people are most likely to be more sensitive to psychic energy than normal people who are closed to such things by a healthy aura, and balanced chakras. In my case I could feel energy flowing through my chakras and it felt like fire. I searched for answers to this for years and finally a medium told me the cause was that my etheric body was loose.
I had a lot of spiritual healing and eventually the disturbing feelings stopped, but in the process I had become aware of the realty of psychic energy.

The spirits are concerned about the world, and they do much work behind the scenes, and they inspire many people who may never realize they were inspired by spiritual influences.
That's a coincidence, seeing as mentally-ill people are also more likely to be sensitive to afflictions of mental-illness, such as hearing voices, receiving messages, and so on.

I'm not sure how you distinguish between indigestion, heartburn, and a fire flowing through your chakras, but I happen to know that milk is pretty good for the relief of a "Bombay" belly.

The spirits should be concerned about the world, it's a concerning place to live, and yet these apparently concerned spirits seem to stand back, and instead of communicating with the people of the world who're capable of making a difference, they apparently choose to seek out people with mental illnesses instead. Go figure.

Old 2nd October 2017, 11:03 AM   #146
Scorpion
Muse

That's a coincidence, seeing as mentally-ill people are also more likely to be sensitive to afflictions of mental-illness, such as hearing voices, receiving messages, and so on.

I'm not sure how you distinguish between indigestion, heartburn, and a fire flowing through your chakras, but I happen to know that milk is pretty good for the relief of a "Bombay" belly.

The spirits should be concerned about the world, it's a concerning place to live, and yet these apparently concerned spirits seem to stand back, and instead of communicating with the people of the world who're capable of making a difference, they apparently choose to seek out people with mental illnesses instead. Go figure.
There are seven main chakras and fourteen minor chakras. I felt fire flowing through my heart and my forehead and through other places. In about 1971 I got a book called alternative London, and it had a diagram of the seven main chakras. I immediately recognized them as the places where I felt the fire flowing, and that is what started me on a study of the occult.

In any case I found I could feel psychic atmosphere and I could feel the negative energy in the streets of London. But when I went into an old church I felt a kind of psychic warmth envelope me. I used to go into old churches for respite from the negative psychic chaos of London during my lunch breaks.
It worked in old churches, but not in new church buildings, because they had not built up the power of the prayers of centuries that has impregnated the walls of medieval churches.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:08 AM   #147
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

There are seven main chakras and fourteen minor chakras. I felt fire flowing through my heart and my forehead and through other places. In about 1971 I got a book called alternative London, and it had a diagram of the seven main chakras. I immediately recognized them as the places where I felt the fire flowing, and that is what started me on a study of the occult.

In any case I found I could feel psychic atmosphere and I could feel the negative energy in the streets of London. But when I went into an old church I felt a kind of psychic warmth envelope me. I used to go into old churches for respite from the negative psychic chaos of London during my lunch breaks.
It worked in old churches, but not in new church buildings, because they had not built up the power of the prayers of centuries that has impregnated the walls of medieval churches.
What happens if you go into a church with a storied history which includes negative events? It seems there's this idea that churches are all sacred places, when some of them have had as much negative experience as other buildings have.

Old 2nd October 2017, 11:15 AM   #148
Scorpion
Muse

What happens if you go into a church with a storied history which includes negative events? It seems there's this idea that churches are all sacred places, when some of them have had as much negative experience as other buildings have.
I think the centuries of sincere prayers impregnate the walls of old buildings and it was strong enough for me to be able to feel it. I was not sensitive enough to differentiate between subtle levels of energy, or pick up on specific events.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:22 AM   #149
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

There are seven main chakras and fourteen minor chakras.........
Who fed you this nonsense?

There are no chakras at all. They are the figment of someone's imagination, and you have fallen for it.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:25 AM   #150
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Who fed you this nonsense?

There are no chakras at all. They are the figment of someone's imagination, and you have fallen for it.
You left off the rest of my quote which explains I could feel them.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:26 AM   #151
mgidm86
Illuminator

My second week at a new job (last week) I saw a guy taking pictures of a clear blue sky, well it was clear except for the big contrail and the plane it came from.

Oh excuse me - chemtrail.

Great. Ya that bothers me. I decided that after a brief conversation about it that I shall never talk to anyone I work with about any of this crap. Which sucks because I want to, but it is clear that even most of the ones that say they aren't sure what to believe already do. There's no point.

It does bother me though - not only to work with these people, but that this particular person makes some important decisions in an industry that is susceptible to woo and BS. I have no reason to suspect the two overlap, but I'm quietly looking for it.

Some people truly are on the fence or have been recently introduced to some type of woo and those are the only ones worth talking to about it.

Critical thinking needs to be taught from elementary school. I've been attempting to practice it for 15 years and am still struggling along.

How many people in your life think as critically as even some of the lower skilled (in your own mind, maybe I'm one of them) posters here? It's f'n scary.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:29 AM   #152
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I think the centuries of sincere prayers impregnate the walls of old buildings and it was strong enough for me to be able to feel it. I was not sensitive enough to differentiate between subtle levels of energy, or pick up on specific events.
How can you conclude that such prayers have not been uttered in the minds of millions of people living in the same street across centuries?

Seems awfully convenient that churches would be such a place of tranquility, being that they're portrayed that way in literature.

Why does this spirit stuff tend to reflect a lot of fictional literature?

Old 2nd October 2017, 11:30 AM   #153
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Scorpion's lottery story reminds me of prophets making vague predictions, which are only linked to specific events after those events occurred.

I'm also thinking about deja-vu, where you think you have experienced something before, but in fact you haven't.
Please stop being so offensive about peoples dearly held belief.
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:39 AM   #154
Scorpion
Muse

How can you conclude that such prayers have not been uttered in the minds of millions of people living in the same street across centuries?

Seems awfully convenient that churches would be such a place of tranquility, being that they're portrayed that way in literature.

Why does this spirit stuff tend to reflect a lot of fictional literature?
Like I said, I am not sensitive enough to pick up on particularly subtle energies, but I could feel the concentrated power of prayer in medieval churches. The most powerful place I have ever been in was a Franciscan monastery in Italy. I was practically knocked off my feet when I walked in the door.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:52 AM   #155
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Like I said, I am not sensitive enough to pick up on particularly subtle energies, but I could feel the concentrated power of prayer in medieval churches. The most powerful place I have ever been in was a Franciscan monastery in Italy. I was practically knocked off my feet when I walked in the door.
What about old hospitals, and even school halls? They're surely places in which a lot of prayers have no doubt been uttered, both mentally and physically.

How do you separate your own feelings and expectations from the general "feel" of old buildings? Meaning, how can you tell whether you're feeling something that is truly there, or merely feeling something that you expected to feel, and then felt?

Old 2nd October 2017, 12:02 PM   #156
Scorpion
Muse

What about old hospitals, and even school halls? They're surely places in which a lot of prayers have no doubt been uttered, both mentally and physically.

How do you separate your own feelings and expectations from the general "feel" of old buildings? Meaning, how can you tell whether you're feeling something that is truly there, or merely feeling something that you expected to feel, and then felt?
Feeling psychic warmth in old churches is just something I noticed over the years. It is not something I was expecting. When I discovered this, I used to go into old church buildings in my lunch breaks in London to get respite, because the streets of London are psychically disturbing. There is so much negative energy, and someone like me that is open to psychic energy can feel it. The spirits say that the world is surrounded by a dark cloud of negative psychic energy, because of all the wars and suffering and selfishness.
In spiritualist churches they always pray before attempting to communicate with the spirits. That is to raise the vibrations and get positive energies.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:15 PM   #157
kali1137
Critical Thinker

Some people will always believe what they want regardless of the amount of rational thought thrown at them. Prime example:
http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/ima...urgeons_photo/

Even after the photo being explained and an ADMITTED HOAX - the nonsense over the loch ness monster continues.

It bothers me that people can ignore plain truth in favor of nonsense. Like the plain explanations and rationale for how psychics fraud people, you still have people defending them. People who can't plainly see that calling one religion wrong and only they see the truth is utter rubbish.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:21 PM   #158
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Some people will always believe what they want regardless of the amount of rational thought thrown at them. Prime example:
http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/ima...urgeons_photo/

Even after the photo being explained and an ADMITTED HOAX - the nonsense over the loch ness monster continues.

It bothers me that people can ignore plain truth in favor of nonsense. Like the plain explanations and rationale for how psychics fraud people, you still have people defending them. People who can't plainly see that calling one religion wrong and only they see the truth is utter rubbish.
Tbf, though, the Loch Ness legend had gone on before that hoax, and went on afterward.

Not that I'm saying it exists, it doesn't, but with many of the believers of Nessie, they don't tend to hinge their beliefs on that photo anymore.

Old 2nd October 2017, 12:24 PM   #159
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
People who can't plainly see that calling one religion wrong and only they see the truth is utter rubbish.
Never the less I think you will agree that the Quran is not the words of God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:25 PM   #160
kali1137
Critical Thinker

Fair enough. But how do they discount all the technology available today that can't find it? Perhaps I am jealous that I don't feel the need to believe in anything that hard?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal