ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 3rd October 2017, 05:50 PM   #201
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
When someone has a heart transplant does that transplant the chakra?
Coincidences are transplanted according to "The Heart's Code" by Paul Pearsall.

Like the recipient who never craved french fries or motorcycle rides until she unknowingly received the heart of a biker who died riding his harley with his favorite snack, french fries in his pocket. She told her doctor, who knew the story.

The book reports several such amusing coincidences and outright lies..

After surgery, the patient's husband told surgeon patient was a new wild woman in bed. Doctor knew donor was a hooker.

Married couple were fond of telling each other "Everything's copesthetic". Husband dies while away. Heartbroken widow somehow meets boy enjoying her dead husband's heart. First thing boy says is...yeah you knew...'everything's copesthetic.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:53 PM   #202
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,001
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Coincidences are transplanted according to "The Heart's Code" by Paul Pearsall.

Like the recipient who never craved french fries or motorcycle rides until she unknowingly received the heart of a biker who died riding his harley with his favorite snack, french fries in his pocket. She told her doctor, who knew the story.

The book reports several such amusing coincidences and outright lies..

After surgery, the patient's husband told surgeon patient was a new wild woman in bed. Doctor knew donor was a hooker.

Married couple were fond of telling each other "Everything's copesthetic". Husband dies while away. Heartbroken widow somehow meets boy enjoying her dead husband's heart. First thing boy says is...yeah you knew...'everything's copesthetic.
What a load. Transplants are not gender specific. And anecdotes are not data.

So who is this Paul Pearsall person? Well, he claims to have been nominated as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century by Oxford University Biographical Society. That's odd given that no such organisation exists. He claims to have received the Scripp's Trailblazer award for Integrative Medicine, 2002, which is odd since that was awarded to one Earl Bakken. He claims to have received the Rush Gold Medal Award from the International Psychiatric Association neither of which appear to be real things. How about "Fully licensed and board certified clinical neuropsychologist, License Number 000773"? Nope. Doesn't exist either. Oh and he's ten years dead.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:14 PM   #203
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What a load. Transplants are not gender specific. And anecdotes are not data.

So who is this Paul Pearsall person? Well, he claims to have been nominated as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century by Oxford University Biographical Society. That's odd given that no such organisation exists. He claims to have received the Scripp's Trailblazer award for Integrative Medicine, 2002, which is odd since that was awarded to one Earl Bakken. He claims to have received the Rush Gold Medal Award from the International Psychiatric Association neither of which appear to be real things. How about "Fully licensed and board certified clinical neuropsychologist, License Number 000773"? Nope. Doesn't exist either. Oh and he's ten years dead.

Did Pearsal say gender mattered?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:34 PM   #204
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,870
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, there ain't.
A mass spectrometer is one trivial example. One had been shown to be sensitive to mass in the yoctomoles. An electron capture detector is another.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave

Last edited by John Jones; 3rd October 2017 at 09:44 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:37 PM   #205
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,870
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I bet you think the heart is just a pump. But even as a young child I could feel psychic energy flowing through mine. I used to imagine I opened a door in my heart and let in Gods love, and I could feel it as a force.
I know now that I was inadvertently opening my heart chakra, but at the time I just imagined it was a door that I opened with my will.
But you have your experiences, and I have mine.
You have told us you were/are schizophrenic. So much for your testimonies.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:11 PM   #206
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I've been an Atheist and a skeptic for most of my adult life. From time to time, I get this kinda surreal 'Twilight Zone' creepy feeling knowing that we are surrounded by so many people who just refuse or who are unable to acknowledge reality.

Does anyone else here ever feel like that?

It bothers me somewhat when I get that feeling although I know that there isn't anything that I can do about it. Knowing that there is nothing I can do to change that is just how I deal with it although I find that it's still unsettling...
I tend to think of them like NPC's (non player characters), some of them quite unfortunately overpowered.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 3rd October 2017 at 10:13 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 12:35 AM   #207
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Did Pearsal say gender mattered?
Why did you pick out that particular sentence of abaddon's post to respond to and ignore the rest?

I think I understand why abaddon pointed that out, regardless of what Pearsal says, but even if you did not it seems an odd point to focus on given what else he has uncovered about the person whose book you are quoting, apparently in the belief that it is a reliable source of such information.

How would you now rate the reliability of Pearsal, in the light of what abaddon has discovered about him? Do you now think it might have been a good idea to check the guy's bona fides yourself before quoting him on a sceptical forum? Or even before buying and reading his book, assuming that is how you discovered what it says?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 4th October 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 09:59 AM   #208
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
You have told us you were/are schizophrenic. So much for your testimonies.
Yea, and I have been regarded as insane by experts. What a good job I can think for myself, as I did not let them write me off. When they told me there was no cure and I would have to stay on drugs, I studied the occult and began to be able to control my experiences. Then I got off all the medication and was able to study and become an electronics repair engineer.

If I had listened to people like you, I would have had no hope.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:04 AM   #209
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is untrue. A 5 number win will vary wildly depending on the jackpot and number of people entering that week. Your claim relies on the spiritworld controlling millions of people in a given week to give you a computer.
No it doesn't, you are talking rubbish. If the spirit world can see into the future they would have known how much money I would win, so the only person they had to manipulate was me. They had to impress the winning numbers on my mind using telepathy. Since I know they did this I know I am right.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:07 AM   #210
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I could knock up a quite a simple programme quickly to churn out such doggerel time and time again.
I had to look up the word doggerel and I thought it was mean of you. I think my poem is heartfelt and reasonably good.

I would like to see you write a program that could equal it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:12 AM   #211
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
When someone has a heart transplant does that transplant the chakra?
I do not believe the chakra would be much affected by transplant as it is part of the etheric body, and above the effects of surgery.
Its a given that an amputee would have all their limbs intact in the spirit body when they die. The spirit body would not loose limbs.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:18 AM   #212
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,272
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I had to look up the word doggerel and I thought it was mean of you. I think my poem is heartfelt and reasonably good.

I would like to see you write a program that could equal it.
I'd have to agree.

You could easily make a program that would convert prose to poetry, or a program that generates more... abstract... poetry, but yours was of a type that would be very hard to have a computer generate from scratch.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:19 AM   #213
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
A mass spectrometer is one trivial example. One had been shown to be sensitive to mass in the yoctomoles. An electron capture detector is another.
Since no instrument has ever been invented that could detect psychic energy,
I maintain that only the human nervous system is sensitive to such forces.

I say I have felt psychic energy in many instances, and it was not imaginary.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:32 AM   #214
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Why do you tend to ignore things that don't fit this warped view that you have?

You were talking about the seeds of truth being held in the bible yesterday, but opted to ignore the fact that the bible has been largely changed and rewritten over the years to make it more appealing and less grim. So why do you ignore the fact that the bible is an ever-changing book of fables written for the purpose of moral guidance?

Why did you also opt to avoid discussing the fact that Christianity has poached many things from many archaic religions that went before it, even down to their festive holidays?

This is the one thing that gets me about so-called religious-types, they pick and choose the little snippets of religion that they want to believe in, and ignore all the rest of the messy stuff because it's too hard to make excuses for.

I'm not sure if it's your "Chakras" that you should be worried about.
I do not follow the bible for my understanding, and I do not feel the need to justify it. As far as I can see Judaism and Christianity are doing no harm, and can be left to their own devices.
But Islam needs criticism because it is following a destructive path of false teachings.

I get my beliefs from the things I have heard spiritualist mediums say while they were purportedly in a trance and had a spirit guide speak through them.

In the teachings of Silver Birch, the spirit guide says there is no devil and no hellfire, so contradicting the bible. I tend to think the spiritualist teachings are true not the bible.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #215
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,870
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Since no instrument has ever been invented that could detect psychic energy,
I maintain that only the human nervous system is sensitive to such forces.

I say I have felt psychic energy in many instances, and it was not imaginary.
Translation: Psychic energy has never been shown to exist by objective, reproducible, peer-reviewed evidence.

I rest my case.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:35 AM   #216
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yea, and I have been regarded as insane by experts. What a good job I can think for myself, as I did not let them write me off. When they told me there was no cure and I would have to stay on drugs, I studied the occult and began to be able to control my experiences. Then I got off all the medication and was able to study and become an electronics repair engineer.

If I had listened to people like you, I would have had no hope.

Lots of people have medical conditions which need to be controlled by taking a drug for the rest of their lives. I do myself. It's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact that illnesses like schizophrenia can be controlled with the right medication is a matter for celebration, not regret. It's certainly not a reason to dive headfirst into superstition.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:41 AM   #217
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 79,189
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No it doesn't, you are talking rubbish. If the spirit world can see into the future they would have known how much money I would win,
That allows only two explanations, there is no free will and/or they manipulated millions. Otherwise how would they know what the future would be?

And how come it was just the right amount that week? Did they manipulate your computer so it would need replacing just at the right time when there was going to be a pay out that would be just about the right amount?
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
so the only person they had to manipulate was me. They had to impress the winning numbers on my mind using telepathy. Since I know they did this I know I am right.
See above you do not seem to have considered the ramifications of your claim being correct.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:42 AM   #218
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
And what about all the people who feel just as strongly as you do that they are special and you are wrong? How are they all wrong but you are just right? Can you really not see the problem with this?

We all have our own senses of what is right and what is wrong. Who is so special that they get to be absolutely right while everyone else is wrong? A good example of that happened in this thread already about who is the moral superior. No one really wins because no one is perfect.

What are your thoughts on "mediums" like Sylvia Browne? She was not only staggeringly wrong but she took advantage of people's grief and in several cases caused more/unnecessary additional pain and suffering. People still buy her books. Her son still lives quite well and still takes advantage of people. I would say that while she is the worst example, all the tv "mediums" do this. If they have this great, special gift - why do they all want to make money from it? Why not help on the side and then engage in a proper profession?
Unlike religious people who follow old books I have got my understanding of what is true from listening to spirit guides and I have what might be the truth from the horses mouth in my own lifetime, not from ancient books.

I have never heard of Sylvia Browne as most of my studying of spiritualism was in the 1970's. But most mediums who serve at spiritualist church services do it part time without real payment. They just get travelling expenses like petrol money from the collection plate. Most churches are run by volunteers who get no pay, and usually the collection plate hardly covers the costs of running the church.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:48 AM   #219
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That allows only two explanations, there is no free will and/or they manipulated millions. Otherwise how would they know what the future would be?

And how come it was just the right amount that week? Did they manipulate your computer so it would need replacing just at the right time when there was going to be a pay out that would be just about the right amount?


See above you do not seem to have considered the ramifications of your claim being correct.
I don't see the problem. If some of the higher spirits can see into the future then they know what is going to happen. They know how much money I would get.
I think there are constraints on what they are allowed to do, because they could in theory give me a big win on the lottery like the massive euro millions draw. But this would be a radical event that would have all kind of ramifications and create great karmic consequences, which is why I am sure they will not do it even though they could.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:50 AM   #220
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 79,189
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I had to look up the word doggerel and I thought it was mean of you. I think my poem is heartfelt and reasonably good.
And I think it was doggerel.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I would like to see you write a program that could equal it.
Considering how appalling it was it shouldn't be too difficult. But to be fair I should stand by my words but I'm not going to waste my time. There are a few auto generators about see: https://www.poem-generator.org.uk/ for an example.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 10:50 AM   #221
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Lots of people have medical conditions which need to be controlled by taking a drug for the rest of their lives. I do myself. It's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact that illnesses like schizophrenia can be controlled with the right medication is a matter for celebration, not regret. It's certainly not a reason to dive headfirst into superstition.
The drugs in the 1970's were knockout drops that turned me into a zombie. I had every reason in the world to stop taking them.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:00 AM   #222
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The drugs in the 1970's were knockout drops that turned me into a zombie. I had every reason in the world to stop taking them.
They've improved a lot since then.

Look, I'm glad that you're functioning reasonably well without medication. But your superstitious beliefs remain unjustified. No amount of anecdotes or personal conviction can justify them, only objective evidence.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:09 AM   #223
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
They've improved a lot since then.

Look, I'm glad that you're functioning reasonably well without medication. But your superstitious beliefs remain unjustified. No amount of anecdotes or personal conviction can justify them, only objective evidence.
To tell you the absolute truth I did start taking a small dose of abilify a few years ago. I did it because I was damaging my health with alcohol as I needed relief from nervous stress and the drink was taking over.
I have been off drink for over five years now .

I accept the new drugs target the brain chemistry and I recommend them to other schizophrenics. But they also stop you feeling much emotion and cut you off from psychic feelings.

I maintain that my experiences of psychic energy were real not delusional.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:17 AM   #224
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,870
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
To tell you the absolute truth I did start taking a small dose of abilify a few years ago. I did it because I was damaging my health with alcohol as I needed relief from nervous stress and the drink was taking over.
I have been off drink for over five years now .

I accept the new drugs target the brain chemistry and I recommend them to other schizophrenics. But they also stop you feeling much emotion and cut you off from psychic feelings.

I maintain that my experiences of psychic energy were real not delusional.
Appeal to repeated assertion.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #225
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I maintain that my experiences of psychic energy were real not delusional.
There's a third possibility: that you were simply mistaken.

People are honestly mistaken all the time. It's surprisingly easy for the mentally healthy to fool themselves into believing something that isn't true, let alone those who are struggling with malfunctioning brain chemistry.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:33 AM   #226
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Appeal to repeated assertion.
I worked under pressure as an electronics engineer for twenty years without medication. You have to be capable of understanding logic to fix microprocessor controlled systems. But you have to be capable of understanding how to control your psychic system to survive schizophrenia without medication. I practiced the channeling of energy through the minor chakras in the palms of my hands and it worked.
The only reason I went on the new drugs was to wean myself from alcohol.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:39 AM   #227
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
There's a third possibility: that you were simply mistaken.

People are honestly mistaken all the time. It's surprisingly easy for the mentally healthy to fool themselves into believing something that isn't true, let alone those who are struggling with malfunctioning brain chemistry.
One of the things that guided me through the experiences I have had was that I realized whatever happens in my brain chemistry,

I AM THE THINKER, NOT MY BRAIN.

Chemicals cannot make you a slave.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:57 AM   #228
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
One of the things that guided me through the experiences I have had was that I realized whatever happens in my brain chemistry,

I AM THE THINKER, NOT MY BRAIN.
It's your brain that's doing the thinking.

Quote:
Chemicals cannot make you a slave.
Chemical imbalances can make you make mistakes. Cognitive biases can make healthy and correctly functioning brains make mistakes.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:59 AM   #229
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,272
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And I think it was doggerel. [...] Considering how appalling it was
You're being nasty in a way that brings absolutely nothing to this conversation.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I AM THE THINKER, NOT MY BRAIN.
"You" are an emergent property of your brain, chemistry and all. Change the brain chemistry and you can change your personality, opinions, etc.

You are not defined entirely by your brain chemistry, since there's also a lot of other stuff going on - your memories, for example - but the thing that you think of as 'you' is a result of your brain functioning.

This is easy to test - just look at people with brain damage, people on various drugs, etc. They even have done experiments where they temporarily disable parts of people's brains. It causes somewhat predictable changes in decision making, which is pretty cool but confirms that we are, in essence, our brains.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 12:13 PM   #230
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

"You" are an emergent property of your brain, chemistry and all. Change the brain chemistry and you can change your personality, opinions, etc.

You are not defined entirely by your brain chemistry, since there's also a lot of other stuff going on - your memories, for example - but the thing that you think of as 'you' is a result of your brain functioning.

This is easy to test - just look at people with brain damage, people on various drugs, etc. They even have done experiments where they temporarily disable parts of people's brains. It causes somewhat predictable changes in decision making, which is pretty cool but confirms that we are, in essence, our brains.
I have been through the ringer with brain chemistry, and it cannot make my decisions for me. I experienced my thinking powers as being capable of overriding all kinds of mental chaos.

My experience led me to believe that consciousness is channeled down from the spirit body, through the etheric body and into the physical body and brain.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 12:43 PM   #231
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,272
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have been through the ringer with brain chemistry, and it cannot make my decisions for me. I experienced my thinking powers as being capable of overriding all kinds of mental chaos.
Well our "selves" are a sort of committee - there are lots of parts of our brain that work (mostly) together, and if some parts are out of whack we have the ability to notice that and try to compensate (sometimes). Which is super cool, but doesn't imply that there's something outside of the brain doing it.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
My experience led me to believe that consciousness is channeled down from the spirit body, through the etheric body and into the physical body and brain.
We have observable, physical evidence that changes to the brain impacts personality, thought processes, decision making, memory storage and recall, etc. We don't have any physical evidence of souls or similar constructs.

But let's assume you're right.

Since I know that all that stuff I just mentioned can be altered by tampering with my brain, what purpose does this other non-physical mind serve? Do all animals have one? Can I survive without one? If I can survive without one, why do I have one at all? If I can't survive without one, what is the brain even doing? If I forget something, is that my physical brain or my spirit brain that's forgetting? Or both? If damage to my head or alteration of my brain chemistry causes me to change personality, does it change the personality of my spirit brain?
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 01:09 PM   #232
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

But let's assume you're right.

Since I know that all that stuff I just mentioned can be altered by tampering with my brain, what purpose does this other non-physical mind serve? Do all animals have one? Can I survive without one? If I can survive without one, why do I have one at all? If I can't survive without one, what is the brain even doing? If I forget something, is that my physical brain or my spirit brain that's forgetting? Or both? If damage to my head or alteration of my brain chemistry causes me to change personality, does it change the personality of my spirit brain?
I believe all creatures have an immortal spirit. The theory is we are immortal spirits that incarnate for experience sake. Because in the spirit world there is no pressure on us and we cannot evolve. I do not think any lifeform exists without a soul, but I daresay we could. The animal body and brain could probably function without a soul, but I don't think it does.
The brain stores information from birth but not the experiences of previous lives. All memories of past lives are stored in the soul in perfect detail. We may remember past lives after we die. If you forget its the brain that forgets not the spirit. The spirit is not changed by brain trauma, and the person would recover their true identity after death.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 02:34 PM   #233
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 79,189
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
To tell you the absolute truth I did start taking a small dose of abilify a few years ago. I did it because I was damaging my health with alcohol as I needed relief from nervous stress and the drink was taking over.
I have been off drink for over five years now .

I accept the new drugs target the brain chemistry and I recommend them to other schizophrenics. But they also stop you feeling much emotion and cut you off from psychic feelings.

I maintain that my experiences of psychic energy were real not delusional.
Not delusional but the drugs that are meant to help control delusions stops you feeling your psychic energy. You don't think the two might be linked?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 02:55 PM   #234
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 402
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not delusional but the drugs that are meant to help control delusions stops you feeling your psychic energy. You don't think the two might be linked?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Reminds me of a shirt I used to have that said I used to have superhuman powers but my therapist took them away.

From the responses, I have come to the conclusion that this is a one way conversation only. A desperate need for us to the see the light and agree with no real desire to hear the other side and even consider the possibility that they are wrong and it is merely a symptom.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 03:10 PM   #235
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not delusional but the drugs that are meant to help control delusions stops you feeling your psychic energy. You don't think the two might be linked?
The drugs generally reduce sensitivity. On medication I feel very little emotion, as well as not feeling much of a psychic nature.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 03:24 PM   #236
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,001
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No it doesn't, you are talking rubbish. If the spirit world can see into the future they would have known how much money I would win, so the only person they had to manipulate was me. They had to impress the winning numbers on my mind using telepathy. Since I know they did this I know I am right.
That is not only circular, it's a spiral.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 09:18 PM   #237
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
I tried to link to a site hosting one of my paintings, but it didn't work
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 4th October 2017 at 09:21 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 09:19 PM   #238
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,870
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/..._id=9986804820

Darrat, since you don't like my poetry here is a painting I consider I was inspired to paint by the spirit world. Is that too doggerel, or will you teach me another new word that applies to paintings.
nvm
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 06:22 AM   #239
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
From the responses, I have come to the conclusion that this is a one way conversation only. A desperate need for us to the see the light and agree with no real desire to hear the other side and even consider the possibility that they are wrong and it is merely a symptom.
You've underscored what it has taken me many, many years to realize. The true 'believer' will not be swayed by logic, facts or truth. A rational argument is useless against magical thinking.

I see discussions like these as pretty much for entertainment purposes only although I like to think that they might sway a lurker who is sitting on the fence toward acknowledging reality. That's likely the best case scenario...
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 07:00 AM   #240
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 402
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
You've underscored what it has taken me many, many years to realize. The true 'believer' will not be swayed by logic, facts or truth. A rational argument is useless against magical thinking.

I see discussions like these as pretty much for entertainment purposes only although I like to think that they might sway a lurker who is sitting on the fence toward acknowledging reality. That's likely the best case scenario...
There is always a little part of me that thinks they can see a little glimmer of truth. I usually allow people to have magical thinking if its a harmless belief. In this case, you have a person who is actively seeking out other religions and attacking them. That is when it angers me and I try to debate.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.