ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , Las Vegas incidents , shooting incidents

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:10 AM   #121
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Question

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
According to the BBC private gun sales aren't regulated.
You can't legally do a transfer of a machine gun without lots of ATF paperwork.

This was not necessarily an actual machine gun though. You can just buy a bump fire stock that mimics machine gun fire.

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So did they catch him or kill him?
The cops killed him.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:11 AM   #122
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The term "assault weapon" is an invented term used in the gun control fight to describe a semi-auto rifle.
The inventor of the term was Adolf Hitler.
... once Hitler saw the MP 44 being demonstrated, he was impressed and gave it the title Sturmgewehr. Seeing the possibility of a propaganda gain, the rifle was again renamed as the Sturmgewehr 44 (StG 44WP), to highlight the new class of weapon it represented. The designation translates to "Storm (Assault) rifle, model 1944", thereby introducing the term "assault rifle".
That was the first of these types of weapons to see extensive wartime service. The defining features are, I believe, selective (not necessarily always fully automatic) fire, and an intermediate power cartridge.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:11 AM   #123
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So did they catch him or kill him?
They killed him in the hotel room.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:11 AM   #124
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
According to the BBC private gun sales aren't regulated.
Sure but those are not for NFA guns like any full auto guns. Those are registered unlike general guns and so transferring them is very difficult.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:12 AM   #125
Argumemnon
World Maker

They killed him in the hotel room.
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure, and from here there's a bunch of sites I can't view.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:13 AM   #126
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
... once Hitler saw the MP 44 being demonstrated, he was impressed and gave it the title Sturmgewehr. Seeing the possibility of a propaganda gain, the rifle was again renamed as the Sturmgewehr 44 (StG 44WP), to highlight the new class of weapon it represented. The designation translates to "Storm (Assault) rifle, model 1944", thereby introducing the term "assault rifle".
That was the first of these types of weapons to see extensive wartime service. The defining features are, I believe, selective (not necessarily always fully automatic) fire, and an intermediate power cartridge.
You are making the common confusion between "assault rifle", an actual correct term, and "assault weapon", a recently invented term with no clear definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:14 AM   #127
TheSupermeerkat
Scholar

Has the president came out with something crass yet?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:15 AM   #128
Nessie
Philosopher

The freedom and right to have guns with the capacity to kill and injure on a huge scale.

The freedom and right to be able to live in the knowledge that you are safe from guns with the capacity to kill and injure on a huge scale.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:16 AM   #129
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Has the president came out with something crass yet?
"My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...10093874671617

I guess not terrible considering who we are talking about.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:17 AM   #130
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The freedom and right to have guns with the capacity to kill and injure on a huge scale.

The freedom and right to be able to live in the knowledge that you are safe from guns with the capacity to kill and injure on a huge scale.
I would guess that we have been legally "free" of this gun for a long time? That is, it has been strictly banned for a long time.

If this is an unconverted actual original machine gun, I believe it would be the first criminal use in a very long time.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:19 AM   #131
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I would guess that we have been legally "free" of this gun for a long time? That is, it has been strictly banned for a long time.

If this is an unconverted actual original machine gun, I believe it would be the first criminal use in a very long time.

It could just be an AR-15 with a bump stock. Super easy to get if you're not a felon.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:21 AM   #132
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Yes, re: the last sentence. Thus a badly used term by the idiot general public (a one shot at a time rifle that LOOKS like one is NOT an assault weapon!!!)!!!!
An assault rifle has single at a time, short burst, and full auto. If not, it is not an assault rifle.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:22 AM   #133
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Yes, re: the last sentence. Thus a badly used term by the idiot general public (a one shot at a time rifle that LOOKS like one is NOT an assault weapon!!!)!!!!
An assault rifle has single at a time, short burst, and full auto. If not, it is not an assault rifle.
Exactly we don't even issue them to the army anymore, it would be wrong to call the M4 an assault carbine. It is just a carbine and there is no designation that matters to separate it from single shot muzzle loading versions.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:23 AM   #134
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If it was a "bump fire" stock or device, those will be banned.

These devices use the gun's natural recoil to cause your finger to hit the trigger in rapid succession, mimicking full auto fire.

They are very difficult to control as far as hitting what you want to hit, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AolqBfdILg

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:24 AM   #135
Tony Stark
Philosopher

If it was a "bump fire" stock or device, those will be banned.

These devices use the gun's natural recoil to cause your finger to hit the trigger in rapid succession, mimicking full auto fire.

They are very difficult to control as far as hitting what you want to hit, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AolqBfdILg
Nah, Republicans are in charge. They won't do ****.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:25 AM   #136
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It could just be an AR-15 with a bump stock. Super easy to get if you're not a felon.
But nearly impossible to have aimed fire with...

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:27 AM   #137
Kestrel
Philosopher

Felons in Nevada can avoid the background check. All they need to do is find a private seller at a gun show or online using Armslist.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:27 AM   #138
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How aimed was the fire?
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:27 AM   #139
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, Republicans are in charge. They won't do ****.
They've had one foot in the ban grave for a while now, though.

If one was finally used in a crime, it will probably be the push.

I would be surprised if this was a bump fire device, though.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:27 AM   #140
Tony Stark
Philosopher

If you're aiming at one target, sure. But a big crowd...
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:28 AM   #141
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Felons in Nevada can avoid the background check. All they need to do is find a private seller at a gun show or online using Armslist.
True. Of course if this guy was a felon and bought the gun at a gun show, Republicans will do absolutely nothing to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:29 AM   #142
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How aimed was the fire?
He hit 150+ people fairly far away from him in a smallish area, I think.

If so, I'd say it was probably accurately aimed fire.

Most people who are inexperienced with a machine gun could easily miss a person 15 yards away from them.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:30 AM   #143
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Condolences Americans what a tragedy.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:30 AM   #144
Argumemnon
World Maker

Most people who are inexperienced with a machine gun could easily miss a person 15 yards away from them.
From the picture of the area it seems pretty far away. I'm surprised he managed to hit so many from that distance. But then I don't know much about firearms.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:30 AM   #145
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Doesn't look like a smallish area to me.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:31 AM   #146
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Which would still be very illegal in Nevada...or anywhere in the USA.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:31 AM   #147
Nessie
Philosopher

Multiple firing weapons were made illegal after Hungerford. Since 1988 no weapon can be legally possessed that can fire more than 3 shots without having to pause and reload.

The pause helps people to escape.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:31 AM   #148
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I don't imagine it's terribly hard to hit a lot of people if you're aiming at a crowd of 40,000.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:32 AM   #149
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Las Vegas undersheriff Kevin McMahill says at least eight guns were found in the hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel where Stephen Paddock launched his deadly attack.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:33 AM   #150
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Of course it is illegal for a felon to buy a gun. A private seller can still sell a gun to a felon without the seller even committing a crime though, as long as he doesn't know the buyer is a felon.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:33 AM   #151
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Las Vegas undersheriff Kevin McMahill says at least eight guns were found in the hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel where Stephen Paddock launched his deadly attack.
So he was possibly not reloading, but picking up another gun?

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:34 AM   #152
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

According to police spokesman via CNN they don't know if police killed the shooter or he shot himself.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:34 AM   #153
Nessie
Philosopher

That issue of legality/illegality is moot since there are so many guns and it is clearly so easy for anyone to get a firearm.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:34 AM   #154
Matthew Best
Philosopher

So he was possibly not reloading, but picking up another gun?
Maybe both?
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:35 AM   #155
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

https://twitter.com/THEPADS/following

Possibly the shooter's Twitter page. He hasn't made any tweets since setting up the account seven years ago, and I don't recognise any of the people he's following, but they most appear to be sportspeople and journalists. Nothing indicating a political viewpoint.

One guy he follows is a certain Ryan Williams, who tweeted on Saturday about "Fun night at Twisted Crypt, recording audio for an upcoming Rock Vegas Podcast…", linking to this instagram pic showing some guys in horror clown costumes. Name of his podcast/brand: dreem2reality...
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:36 AM   #156
Nessie
Philosopher

So the hotel knew a guest had checked in with tons of guns and ammo and that is obviously normal.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:36 AM   #157
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning. Listening to how fast and consistent the rate of fire was, I'd suspect it wasn't a bump fire. I could be wrong of course. I have very limited, like practically no experience with hearing, in person, a full auto weapon other than an old SKS. It wasn't one of them. This was very fast in comparison. I would suspect someone on here with military experience could make a reasonable guestimation of what was being used.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:39 AM   #158
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I predict there will be only "thoughts and prayer" and statements of consolation. No other action is going to happen other than maybe Las Vegas stopping out door events in range of window shooter.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05:40 AM   #159
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. Listening to how fast and consistent the rate of fire was, I'd suspect it wasn't a bump fire. I could be wrong of course. I have very limited, like practically no experience with hearing, in person, a full auto weapon other than an old SKS. It wasn't one of them. This was very fast in comparison. I would suspect someone on here with military experience could make a reasonable guestimation of what was being used.
SKS is not full auto as far as I know, and it has a 10 round clip-fed magazine. So it would be slow to fire and slow to reload.

I'm guessing the main weapon is an altered civilian AK.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:42 AM   #160
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
I predict there will be only "thoughts and prayer" and statements of consolation. No other action is going to happen other than maybe Las Vegas stopping out door events in range of window shooter.
Most likely everything he did has already been illegal in Nevada and under federal law, for a long time.

It's still early, though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events