ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , Las Vegas incidents , shooting incidents

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:21 AM   #201
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Yes, I have also noticed that nobody thinks it's a big deal.

Nobody with any power will think it is a big enough deal to actually do anything.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:22 AM   #202
Matthew Best
Philosopher

This is madness:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesth...-the-las-vegas
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:23 AM   #203
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
No, I have been saying they were most likely illegal conversions.
Which the basis for can be picked up anonymously online perfectly legally. At least for the seller. Which was what you were taking issue with. So now you agree that these weapons most likely could have been bought at a gun show with no background check?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:23 AM   #204
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
If I read Google.maps correctly the crowd was about 300 meters from the shooter away. That is really not that far, considering the size of the target in this case.

The first shot I ever made was with an Uzi and was almost a hit at a distance of 100 meters on a torso target. (10 cm high)
Granted. I shot single shot. But it was an Uzi with a tiny barrel and first shot I ever made (that's what you get in one of these European countries), so that was without any practise whatsoever. Something i I expect an American to have a whole lot more of..
With a distance of three times a great, but a target much, much bigger. No. it is really not that hard to hit.
Look at some bump fire videos and see how much the gun moves around, particularly the barrel.

For bump fire, the whole gun moves backwards and forwards quite a bit. It slides back and forth.

Much different than an actual machine gun.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:23 AM   #205
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Bump fire devices are typically unreliable.

It's usually hard to get more than a few round burst with one.

Not impossible, mind you.

It's also fairly easy to make a bump fire device out of scrap wood.
https://youtu.be/CsHASQGDsBI
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:24 AM   #206
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Which the basis for can be picked up anonymously online perfectly legally. At least for the seller. Which was what you were taking issue with. So now you agree that these weapons most likely could have been bought at a gun show with no background check?
The parts to convert are NFA items as far as I know. The conversion is illegal everywhere as far as I know.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:25 AM   #207
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Yes, you can find such misleading advertisements.

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:27 AM   #208
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Yes, you can find such misleading advertisements.
So a video proving you wrong must be an ad. Gotcha.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:29 AM   #209
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The shooter was known to police.
Why do have a feeling this is do to a history of domestic violence.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:29 AM   #210
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I had the same thought, though I do wonder what pushes someone to shooting people like that.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:29 AM   #211
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The parts to convert are NFA items as far as I know. The conversion is illegal everywhere as far as I know.
We will have to wait and see what was required.

And then there are all those fun ways around it like the new short barreled shotgun which legally isn't because even though it fires 12 gauge shells from a short barrel it never had a full length barrel so it is not an NFA weapon, it is just a legal firearm.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 2nd October 2017 at 06:32 AM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:30 AM   #212
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Because a vast majority of such shooters do?
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:33 AM   #213
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

So a video proving you wrong must be an ad. Gotcha.
What are you talking about?

He's only a few feet away...

At 100 yards he would be lucky to hit the correct house with a few rounds, let alone at 300 yards.

Plus the 5.56 round is relatively light on recoil compared to an AK.

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:37 AM   #214
Tony Stark
Philosopher

What are you talking about?

He's only a few feet away...

At 100 yards he would be lucky to hit the correct house with a few rounds, let alone at 300 yards.
He was about as as accurate with the bump fire gun as with the NFA gun.

Quote:
Plus the 5.56 round is relatively light on recoil compared to an AK.
How do you know it was an AK and not a 5.56/.223?
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:38 AM   #215
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

We will have to wait and see what was required.

And then there are all those fun ways around it like the new short barreled shotgun which legally isn't because even though it fires 12 gauge shells from a short barrel it never had a full length barrel so it is not an NFA weapon, it is just a legal firearm.
Yes, there are short barreled rifles that are legal because they were made that way, such as a Mare's Leg. Put a shoulder stock on it and it's now illegal...

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:40 AM   #216
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm very accurate at 10 feet, too!

Small differences at 10 feet become huge differences at 300 feet, as I'm sure you know.

Sounded like an AK to me.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 2nd October 2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:41 AM   #217
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How do you know it was an AK and not a 5.56/.223?
He doesn't, he has no idea what action or caliber was used.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:43 AM   #218
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Look at some bump fire videos and see how much the gun moves around, particularly the barrel.

For bump fire, the whole gun moves backwards and forwards quite a bit. It slides back and forth.

Much different than an actual machine gun.
What is your point, if I may ask?
That he couldn't have hit that many people? Sorry to say, but he did.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:46 AM   #219
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I'm very accurate at 10 feet, too!

Small differences at 10 feet become huge differences at 300 feet, as I'm sure you know.
Nonsense. If there was a huge difference in accuracy it would show at short distance too.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 2nd October 2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:47 AM   #220
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It seems to be that because these weapons were already illegal we don't need any change in laws to address this shooting.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:49 AM   #221
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
We've seen examples of those fakes here.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:50 AM   #222
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

My point is that I don't think it was a bump fire stock.

That's all.

He apparently had 10 firearms in the room, but we don't know if he used one, some, or all of them.

I would guess that he shot himself with a pistol.

Just have to wait until solid info comes in, I guess.

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:51 AM   #223
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

This is a false flag operation that will give Trump cover to invade Puerto Rico

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:52 AM   #224
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The information on the weaponry used will come out, there's no doubt of that. If I remember my Army training -- M16 on auto and the M60 machine gun -- we were taught to spray not aim. Based on what I saw in Viet Nam, that's a very effective tactic.

But having watched the linked video, this was really sickening. To go to a music festival and have your wife, son or daughter wind up shot dead in front of your eyes is gut wrenching, to say the least. But what the hey, let the jokes begin!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:53 AM   #225
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to be that because these weapons were already illegal we don't need any change in laws to address this shooting.
That is most likely the case. The first part, anyway.

It's possible that he has owned the weapons for a long time and none of them were illegal in Nevada or under federal law.

I actually hate bump fire devices and hope they are banned.

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:54 AM   #226
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The information on the weaponry used will come out, there's no doubt of that. If I remember my Army training -- M16 on auto and the M60 machine gun -- we were taught to spray not aim. Based on what I saw in Viet Nam, that's a very effective tactic.

But having watched the linked video, this was really sickening. To go to a music festival and have your wife, son or daughter wind up shot dead in front of your eyes is gut wrenching, to say the least. But what the hey, let the jokes begin!
I aimed with the M16, but found "walking" to work best with the M60.

Old 2nd October 2017, 06:55 AM   #227
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Bump fire devices seems to be the sort of thing that's invented by a lunatic for no apparent reason, or to get around laws.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:00 AM   #228
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Bump fire devices seems to be the sort of thing that's invented by a lunatic for no apparent reason, or to get around laws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlFZOBiWRko

The older bearded guy committed suicide later in life.

Old 2nd October 2017, 07:06 AM   #229
Nessie
Philosopher

According to a BBC correspondent;

"This has been a mass shooting which has shocked Las Vegas - it has stunned this city.

It is very clear it will be an event that will stun the USA too, a country in which, regrettably, such mass shootings - even if on a lesser scale - are not uncommon."

Wrong. The USA will not be stunned. It will be mildly perturbed. Stunned would result in action being taken to reduce the chances of this happening. Mildly perturbed results in no action, so we can look forward to the next record breaking mass shooting. With lots of little mass shootings in-between to keep us occupied.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:11 AM   #230
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

POTUS Donald J Trump sending 'warmest condolences' by tweet boobs again...?

'Warmest'? Really? Should it not be 'sincerest' or 'deepest'?

'Warmest' is best associated with 'congratulations'.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:14 AM   #231
angrysoba
Philosophile

A horrible and despicable act.

I notice that there have been some quotes from family relatives about how the perpetrator was just a normal guy, but I think family testimonies are likely to be pretty worthless unless they are negative or unwittingly revealing.

I expect when the fog of war clears we'll find out more about this guy, either the types of people he associated with, or some kind of drug dependence (either alcohol, illegal drugs or maybe anti-depressants or some combination of those).
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:15 AM   #232
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

Look with Trump you have to view any letter of condolence where he isn't talking about how great he is at seducing married women as a win for acting presidential.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:16 AM   #233
Nessie
Philosopher

He has accidentally revealed he is not that bothered by what has happened.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:16 AM   #234
angrysoba
Philosophile

Trump's a buffoon, and there are numerous things to take him to task with, but let's let this one go. It's a clumsy wording, right enough, but people do say clumsy things at times like this. Can we at least refuse to make him part of the story for once?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:17 AM   #235
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

The Donald isn't the bestest when it comes to the words, so I'd attribute it to his ignorance of such subtleties so it's not surprising.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:17 AM   #236
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
He has accidentally revealed he is not that bothered by what has happened.
Give him some slack! At least he wasn't talking about himself or his electoral victory this time.

One could say that he almost sounded presidential...

...but that someone wouldn't be me.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:18 AM   #237
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Trump's a buffoon, and there are numerous things to take him to task with, but let's let this one go. It's a clumsy wording, right enough, but people do say clumsy things at times like this. Can we at least refuse to make him part of the story for once?
Give it a few hours. Trump will make himself part of the story.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:18 AM   #238
phunk
Illuminator

He hit 150+ people fairly far away from him in a smallish area, I think.

If so, I'd say it was probably accurately aimed fire.

Most people who are inexperienced with a machine gun could easily miss a person 15 yards away from them.
150+ out of what, 30000? He had a huge target.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:20 AM   #239
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
So the hotel knew a guest had checked in with tons of guns and ammo and that is obviously normal.

How would the hotel know? Have you ever had your luggage searched at a hotel?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:23 AM   #240
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
A horrible and despicable act.

I notice that there have been some quotes from family relatives about how the perpetrator was just a normal guy, but I think family testimonies are likely to be pretty worthless unless they are negative or unwittingly revealing.

I expect when the fog of war clears we'll find out more about this guy, either the types of people he associated with, or some kind of drug dependence (either alcohol, illegal drugs or maybe anti-depressants or some combination of those).
Gambling addiction can cause catastrophic depression.

'Ooh Las Vegas..."

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events