ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 9th October 2017, 02:09 PM   #81
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,024
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Regarding that video of someone in crowd holding a rifle.

Probably it is an officer. However I dont know how it is possible to know it is an officer so soon after viewing it. Just sayin. I'm not claiming it is a shooter. I merely note what seem IMO to be quick premature conclusions where I think I see them, as a public service.


The person in the video is quite clearly wearing a high-visibility vest. How many people wear such vests to concerts? More importantly, how many people planning a false-flag attack on a concert would wear clothing that is specifically designed to make you stand out?

It makes perfect sense for a cop to wear something like this. We have unambiguous photos of some cops on the scene wearing just such vests. We have no reports (other than the video in question) of people wearing such vests shooting into the crowd.

There's nothing "premature" about concluding, based on all the evidence at hand, and literally no opposing evidence, that the person was likely a cop.

If you want to maintain the position that this was something other than a cop in the crowd, it's incumbent upon you to find evidence of that sufficient to overcome the evidence already on hand. You're allowed to keep believing that in the quiet of your own mind, but to maintain this pretense of being more reasonable than us here in public, you need to put up or shut up.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd

Last edited by Horatius; 9th October 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 08:25 PM   #82
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The person in the video is quite clearly wearing a high-visibility vest. How many people wear such vests to concerts? More importantly,

It makes perfect sense for a cop to wear something like this. We have unambiguous photos of some cops on the scene wearing just such vests. We have no reports (other than the video in question) of people wearing such vests shooting into the crowd.

There's nothing "premature" about concluding, based on all the evidence at hand, and literally no opposing evidence, that the person was likely a cop.

If you want to maintain the position that this was something other than a cop in the crowd, it's incumbent upon you to find evidence of that sufficient to overcome the evidence already on hand. You're allowed to keep believing that in the quiet of your own mind, but to maintain this pretense of being more reasonable than us here in public, you need to put up or shut up.

I never said that. Probably go better if you didn't try to put words in my mouth. I only thought it was premature to conclude. There is footage of concert attendees affirming multiple shooters. Doesnt mean I believe they are correct, nor do I disbelieve them at this point. I'm watching both sides.

In other words I am waiting for more info before drawing conclusions.


Quote:
how many people planning a false-flag attack on a concert would wear clothingthat is specifically designed to make you stand out?
For argument's sake only... Sure I can see where some nut shooter might decide to impersonate a security guard or a cop. You cannot? Infiltration strategy. I am pretty sure bad guys already do that now and then.

Last edited by Bubba; 9th October 2017 at 08:58 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 11:50 PM   #83
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Here's Mike Adams with his forensic acoustic analysis, asserting more than one shooter.

I dont know, dont ask me if its valid. He is offering it to FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmEFeKy8aI
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 12:38 AM   #84
Axxman300
Graduate Poster
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 1,995
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Here's Mike Adams with his forensic acoustic analysis, asserting more than one shooter.

I dont know, dont ask me if its valid. He is offering it to FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmEFeKy8aI
Who cares?

Seriously, you need to get a grip. The FBI and ATF are there backing up a quality police force. They have thousands of smart-phone videos, closed circuit cameras, and still photos to pour through. Plus ballistics. Mike Adams can take a walk.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 02:40 AM   #85
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,781
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Here's Mike Adams with his forensic acoustic analysis, asserting more than one shooter.

I dont know, dont ask me if its valid. He is offering it to FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmEFeKy8aI
What are Adams' qualifications in this field, and what makes them better than anyone's at the FBI?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 02:52 AM   #86
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,491
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What are Adams' qualifications in this field, and what makes them better than anyone's at the FBI?
But he uses different coloured pens!

DIFFERENT COLOURS!!

See how much more authoritative that is?
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 02:53 AM   #87
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,770
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What are Adams' qualifications in this field, and what makes them better than anyone's at the FBI?
that is the wrong question.

Since he is not part of the Deep State machinery, even his amateur conclusions are much more reliable than anything so-called "experts" and official investigators might ever come up with.
__________________
"eventually we will get something done."
- Donald J. Trump
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:08 AM   #88
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Who cares?

Seriously, you need to get a grip. The FBI and ATF are there backing up a quality police force. They have thousands of smart-phone videos, closed circuit cameras, and still photos to pour through. Plus ballistics. Mike Adams can take a walk.

If you're trusting the 'rank and file' officers and agents I'd agree. Thank goodness (literally) the majority of them are clean. So I'd tend to trust them. Re the higher ups, not so much. History suggests remaining skeptical. Especially where major constitution revising matters are involved.

Blind trust can sometimes be well, ...you know. (not sayin that you would blindly trust authority). Mike Adams is essentially questioning authority. A healthy practice. Sometimes it appears to be a firm no-no to a strict statist.

This is a practical umbrella policy of skeptical caution, not specific to this tragedy. I have not yet drawn a conclusion about this tragedy.

Quote:
Cosmic Yak said;

What are Adams' qualifications in this field, and what makes them better than anyone's at the FBI?
My reply to Axxman in this post applies to your question as well.

Last edited by Bubba; 10th October 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:18 AM   #89
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Is it possible for a statist to also be a true skeptic ?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:19 AM   #90
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
But he uses different coloured pens!

DIFFERENT COLOURS!!

See how much more authoritative that is?


Is it possible for a statist to also be a true skeptic ?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 03:10 PM   #91
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,024
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Is it possible for a statist to also be a true skeptic ?

Is it possible for you to define "statist" in some manner that meaningfully distinguishes it from "People who won't agree with my pet conspiracy theories"?
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #92
Axxman300
Graduate Poster
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 1,995
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Is it possible for a statist to also be a true skeptic ?
There's a difference between a skeptic ans a cynic.

Skeptics want evidence, not innuendo. Cynics think they know it all, are jaded, and embrace any concept - not matter how crazy - to justify their world view.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:10 PM   #93
Axxman300
Graduate Poster
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 1,995
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
If you're trusting the 'rank and file' officers and agents I'd agree. Thank goodness (literally) the majority of them are clean. So I'd tend to trust them. Re the higher ups, not so much. History suggests remaining skeptical. Especially where major constitution revising matters are involved.

Blind trust can sometimes be well, ...you know. (not sayin that you would blindly trust authority). Mike Adams is essentially questioning authority. A healthy practice. Sometimes it appears to be a firm no-no to a strict statist.

This is a practical umbrella policy of skeptical caution, not specific to this tragedy. I have not yet drawn a conclusion about this tragedy.
Your problem is you have drawn conclusions on an investigation that has JUST STARTED, and will take almost a year to complete. Nobody knows what they will find, so there's nothing to be cynical about.

It's not like Trump is banging the drums on gun control, so what's the end-game of a conspiracy behind this event?
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 11:12 PM   #94
Parsman
Critical Thinker
 
Parsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
This is a practical umbrella policy of skeptical caution, not specific to this tragedy. I have not yet drawn a conclusion about this tragedy.
My umbrella policy when reading your posts Bubba is that I don't believe you are skeptical of the claims you make. You have already decided there is some sort of vast conspiracy going on in this world and you look for any scraps of comfort (not evidence) for this view. You promote any kind of fallacy or lunacy or weirdness then hold your hands up and say "Hey, just asking questions!" It really is transparent to readers of this forum. You are not an honest actor, evaluating evidence and coming to a conclusion. You have a belief system about how the world is and rather like a young Earth creationist you will keep pushing that belief no matter what the evidence against it is. If I am wrong, admit there is an ongoing investigation, wait till all the evidence that collects and evaluates is in and THEN come back here and explain why you feel it is wrong. Then we may have grounds for discussion. At the moment you are just a pot stirrer for the lunatic fringe of conspiracy theorists.
__________________
I was not; I have been; I am not; I am content - Epicurus

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:08 AM   #95
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
[quote]
Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
My umbrella policy when reading your posts Bubba is that
Quote:
I don't believe you are skeptical of the claims you make. You have already decided there is some sort of vast conspiracy going on in this world

Hogwash.

A vastly wild allegation you're flailing about with there. So wrong. Such a revealing statement. Thank you for sharing this part of your process.

Quote:
and you look for any scraps of comfort (not evidence) for this view. You promote any kind of fallacy or lunacy or weirdness then hold your hands up and say "Hey, just asking questions!" It really is transparent to readers of this forum. You are not an honest actor, evaluating evidence and coming to a conclusion. You have a belief system about how the world is and rather like a young Earth creationist you will keep pushing that belief no matter what the evidence against it is.

Find a new writer.


Quote:
If I am wrong, admit there is an ongoing investigation, wait till all the evidence that collects and evaluates is in and THEN come back here and explain why you feel it is wrong. Then we may have grounds for discussion.

Worse than wrong....unless you missed where I said I have not drawn a conclusion. I still haven't. But you've revealed a tellingly common compulsion to attempt to put such words in my mouth. Why? Look now at what a mess you've gotten yourself in. I acknowledged the good police and good feds doing the investigation. Hence, you are wrong. Perhaps you slept through that.


Are you OK with the part about not questioning authority, and my pointing to how power is known to corrupt sometimes? How about the scourge of deception in high offices?

Methinks the one with the problematic belief system is not I.

Last edited by Bubba; 11th October 2017 at 01:11 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:33 AM   #96
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,781
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
If you're trusting the 'rank and file' officers and agents I'd agree. Thank goodness (literally) the majority of them are clean. So I'd tend to trust them. Re the higher ups, not so much. History suggests remaining skeptical. Especially where major constitution revising matters are involved.

Blind trust can sometimes be well, ...you know. (not sayin that you would blindly trust authority). Mike Adams is essentially questioning authority. A healthy practice. Sometimes it appears to be a firm no-no to a strict statist.

This is a practical umbrella policy of skeptical caution, not specific to this tragedy. I have not yet drawn a conclusion about this tragedy.



My reply to Axxman in this post applies to your question as well.
So you accept the value of an unqualified amateur "questioning authority" by offering his laughable lack of expertise and well-known track record of lies and ******** to the FBI? This isn't questioning authority, this is attempting to purloin some of that authority for himself, like a TV psychic claiming to be working with the police on murder investigations. He isn't questioning the authority of the FBI to conduct this investigation, nor the legitimacy of the FBI as a whole. He's trying to pretend he's as good as they are, or even better.
If he is purely motivated by ideas of freedom and resistance to oppression, why has he waited so long to do it? There are any number of unsolved murders every year, in every country. Why is he hitching himself to this tragedy, if not to steal some glory from conspiracy theorists? (And I hope you realise how desperate and ridiculous that sounds. Seeking credibility from the chronically credibility-challenged). Only in the minds of the confused and cynical is there any doubt who committed these murders. He is jumping on this particular bandwagon, when he could have been useful, if he is as good as he claims, years ago, in more puzzling crimes.
No, Bubba, Mike Adams is no freedom fighter. He is motivated largely by financial concerns (have you seen the pictures of his house?), and preys on the gullible and desperate to enrich himself. Choose another hero, Bubba.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:34 AM   #97
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,781
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Is it possible for you to define "statist" in some manner that meaningfully distinguishes it from "People who won't agree with my pet conspiracy theories"?
Seconded.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:21 AM   #98
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Your problem is you have drawn conclusions on an investigation that has JUST STARTED, and will take almost a year to complete.

Nobody knows what they will find, so there's nothing to be cynical about.
Seriously? I said I'm watching both sides, not drawing conclusions. Nor being cynical. Even skeptics will do that sometimes...Right? Were you also napping like Parsman when I said that a few times?

Lone nutters can snap without help. I havent drawn a conclusion. Anyone here drawn a conclusion ?

However I must now conclude there is a clear pattern here of attempting to put words where there are none. Fascinating. Whats up with that?


Quote:
It's not like Trump is banging the drums on gun control,

Wow. You're pulling my leg, right? .....as if it would be Trump. It would never be Trump. He'd be toast. His fan club would tar and feather him. Even if he wanted to bang gun control drums, he would never need to. The drums are already being pounded. In the usual places. Not by Trump.

To answer, the end-game of a conspiracy behind this event would be the decades old anti 2nd amendment agenda. Still doesnt mean I have concluded anything. Why is it so important to pretend and convince yourselves I already concluded deception is afoot ? I find that fascinatin.

I pay attention to 2nd amendment issues. Its important. This one is big. Asking 'who benefits' is a healthy practice. In all matters. For skeptics and others alike.

Quote:
so what's the end-game of a conspiracy behind this event?
The 2nd amendment. That is why it deserves monitoring. By all sides on the gun rights issue.

I think that is also why Mike Adams made that audio forensics video. You think he believes the FBI cannot do the forensics? No. He knows they are more expert than he would ever be. I think the reason he did that, was his way of exposing or pre-empting, ie to make sure that the audio is publicly put on the table. So he offered his findings to FBI. For all to see. His strategy. So if it were not addressed by FBI, anyone would see a red flag, Anyway, surely they were already on it before he did that.
.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:26 AM   #99
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
So you accept the value of an unqualified amateur "questioning authority" by offering his laughable lack of expertise and well-known track record of lies and ******** to the FBI? This isn't questioning authority, this is attempting to purloin some of that authority for himself, like a TV psychic claiming to be working with the police on murder investigations. He isn't questioning the authority of the FBI to conduct this investigation, nor the legitimacy of the FBI as a whole. He's trying to pretend he's as good as they are, or even better.
If he is purely motivated by ideas of freedom and resistance to oppression, why has he waited so long to do it? There are any number of unsolved murders every year, in every country. Why is he hitching himself to this tragedy, if not to steal some glory from conspiracy theorists? (And I hope you realise how desperate and ridiculous that sounds. Seeking credibility from the chronically credibility-challenged). Only in the minds of the confused and cynical is there any doubt who committed these murders. He is jumping on this particular bandwagon, when he could have been useful, if he is as good as he claims, years ago, in more puzzling crimes.
No, Bubba, Mike Adams is no freedom fighter. He is motivated largely by financial concerns (have you seen the pictures of his house?), and preys on the gullible and desperate to enrich himself. Choose another hero, Bubba.


Perhaps remarks in post 98 will shed light on my view about Mike Adams in this instance.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:30 AM   #100
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Quote:
Posted by Horatius View Post
Is it possible for you to define "statist" in some manner that meaningfully distinguishes it from "People who won't agree with my pet conspiracy theories"?

Quote:
by C Y;
Seconded.
I'd look it up and paste it here but you already know the definition.

I doubt questioning authority is part of it.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:45 AM   #101
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,770
Supposedly that the Las Vegas shooting was a False Flag operation to bring down the 2nd amendment.

How exactly would that change anything?

Does anyone on the CT side want to argue that current laws would have made the attack impossible? That the shooter couldn't possibly have gotten the weapons and ammunition without shadowy government support?
And what about the hundreds of other mass shootings that have happened this year already? All False Flags?

In short: total waste for both for conspirators and conspiracy theorists: if you want to show Americans the price of under-regulated weapons you don't have to stage an attack - you just have to wait less than a week.
__________________
"eventually we will get something done."
- Donald J. Trump
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 04:42 AM   #102
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,024
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I'd look it up and paste it here but you already know the definition.

I doubt questioning authority is part of it.


So that would be a "no" then.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:35 AM   #103
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,491
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I'd look it up and paste it here but you already know the definition.

I doubt questioning authority is part of it.
Questioning those who claim authority also includes those who don't actually have it.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:24 PM   #104
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,249
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Here's Mike Adams with his forensic acoustic analysis, asserting more than one shooter.

I dont know, dont ask me if its valid. He is offering it to FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmEFeKy8aI
Just some thoughts on his claims. I know nothing about guns.

His calculations are made assuming the sounds are being recorded at the point of impact, if the recording was taken from a position in between the shooter and the point of impact the report from the gun has a shorter distance to travel while the sound from the impact then has to travel back, the effect of both of those things would reduce the delay heard/recorded.

If the shooter had changed his target to something closer that would change the delay.

Could a change of gun/type of round make a difference?

There's no mention that there was overlapping gunfire recorded, if there were 2 shooters they'd have to be in contact or pre-arranged to take it in turns or something.
__________________
The secret NASA doesn't want you to know - God makes rockets work in space.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:34 PM   #105
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere between the central U.S. and Hades
Posts: 11,373
What delay was he measuring? The only thing I could thing of in that instance that could give any accuracy would be measuring the delay between seeing muzzle flash and hearing the report. Even that isn't going to be 100% accurate unless you can take into account the echo patterns from the buildings and other surfaces around. In short, you'd have to consider more than just the delay (or more accurately, the delay while accounting for varying distances the sound travelled depending on whether it's direct or echo).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #106
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,249
The delay between the sound of the impact of the bullet on the ground and the report from the gun firing.
__________________
The secret NASA doesn't want you to know - God makes rockets work in space.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:06 PM   #107
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere between the central U.S. and Hades
Posts: 11,373
Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
The delay between the sound of the impact of the bullet on the ground and the report from the gun firing.
Okay, then he's absolutely off his rocker.

The gun and ammunition used will definitely affect that, as will distance to the target, angle of impact, ricochets, etc. And the gun caliber, barrel length, rifling, bullet shape, bullet weight, and powder load will all make a difference, as those all affect trajectory, speed, or aerodynamics of the round. You'd have to know the exact speed of the round used to get anything even close to accurate. Just for a single caliber, muzzle velocities based on the type of ammunition alone can vary by 10% or more. When you add in varying barrel lengths that's another 10% to 20%. And all that assumes the same caliber of gun...once you add in the possibility of multiple guns in differing calibers, there's no way for him to make any accurate assessment form that...not unless he knows exactly what rounds and what guns were used for each shot he assesses.

Not only that, but you'd have to know either the exact location of the impact point or the exact location of the shooter to be able to determine the other...otherwise any variation you get is likely to be because the impact point has changed.

Not to mention, you'd have a pretty wide margin of error due to acoustic effects, variation between lots of ammunition (even of the same type), and so forth. So ignoring any other factors, unless the results were wildly different, I don't expect they'd be accurate enough to tell you there was a second shooter.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:32 PM   #108
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,348
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
What delay was he measuring? The only thing I could thing of in that instance that could give any accuracy would be measuring the delay between seeing muzzle flash and hearing the report. ....

Reminds me of a joke.

Sorry, off topic. Goes something like this.

Quote:
Q: What is the difference between speed of light and speed of sound?

A: When you think someone looks bright, until you hear them talking.

BTW I agree with your:

Quote:
The gun and ammunition used will definitely affect that, as will distance to the target, angle of impact, ricochets, etc. And the gun caliber, barrel length, rifling, bullet shape, bullet weight, and powder load will all make a difference, as those all affect trajectory, speed, or aerodynamics of the round.
I also thought that way, while watching Adams' video. Nonetheless I think his primary purpose (as I said above) was to publicly put FBI 'on notice'....Per his stand point being that he had decided there was more than one shooter. A shooter himself, maybe he knowingly skipped those details because he had another reason for making that video.

He probably figured the FBI had already done their audio analysis anyway, and he knew (he said) that his analysis was of course amateur, but to him that did not matter as his agenda was to publicize.

To me that makes more sense than simply asserting Adams is stupid, greedy, and thinks he is smarter than the FBI, etc. Adams said experts are better at it than he is. So why claim he thinks he is smarter than FBI? ( There's that pesky 'putting words where there are none' thing again. )


Quote:
So you accept the value of an unqualified amateur "questioning authority" by offering his laughable lack of expertise and well-known track record of lies and ******** to the FBI? This isn't questioning authority, this is attempting to purloin some of that authority for himself, like a TV psychic claiming to be working with the police on murder investigations. He isn't questioning the authority of the FBI to conduct this investigation, nor the legitimacy of the FBI as a whole. He's trying to pretend he's as good as they are, or even better.
If he is purely motivated by ideas of freedom and resistance to oppression, why has he waited so long to do it? There are any number of unsolved murders every year, in every country. Why is he hitching himself to this tragedy, if not to steal some glory from conspiracy theorists? (And I hope you realise how desperate and ridiculous that sounds. Seeking credibility from the chronically credibility-challenged). Only in the minds of the confused and cynical is there any doubt who committed these murders. He is jumping on this particular bandwagon, when he could have been useful, if he is as good as he claims, years ago, in more puzzling crimes.
No, Bubba, Mike Adams is no freedom fighter. He is motivated largely by financial concerns (have you seen the pictures of his house?), and preys on the gullible and desperate to enrich himself. Choose another hero, Bubba.

Short sighted

Last edited by Bubba; 11th October 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:57 PM   #109
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Here's Mike Adams with his forensic acoustic analysis, asserting more than one shooter.

I dont know, dont ask me if its valid. He is offering it to FBI.

<Link redacted to avoid giving hits to that utter scumbag>
So what does Mike actually claim? Well, he has eleven (LOL, eleventy) points proving a false flag. What might they be?

#1: As many as 10 rifles were found in his hotel room… but only one shooter?

Sure. Shooters only ever carry 1 weapon and carrying more than one is strictly forbidden. And there were 23 weapons, 22 rifles and one handgun, Mike. In support, he offers three bullet points...
1. The rifles were staged for more than one shooter.
That's it, just a bare assertion and nothing else.

2. The operation was extremely well funded.
Another bare assertion. It seems to have escaped him that the shooter was a millionaire in his own right. And exactly how much money must one throw at a millionaire to get them to voluntarily die?

3. The attack took a tremendous amount of time to set up, because you don’t just walk 10 rifles up to your hotel room in a single trip.
Well, why not? What's stopping anyone from doing so? Besides the shooter had 4 frakkin' days of prep.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #110
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
On to Mike's next point.
#2: As with many orchestrated shootings, the scapegoat was murdered before he could talk

Sure, he should have been disarmed and captured by means of the ever tempting tea and crumpets on the croquet lawn. I'm sure that would have worked.

And it wasn't murder, the guy suicided.

Ironically, Mike offers
Quote:
The official narrative claims that he shot himself before the police breached the room, but that is an assumption, not an established fact.
All the while claiming established facts which are not.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:06 PM   #111
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#3: Why are there no muzzle flashes visible from the 32nd-floor Mandalay Bay windows in any of the videos that captured the shooting?

Flash suppressors and poor optics. The real world is not Hollywood, get used to it.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:07 PM   #112
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#4 Why does the gunfire in multiple online videos clearly sound like automatic weapons fire from MULTIPLE weapons?

Those are called echoes.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:08 PM   #113
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#5: ISIS has openly claimed responsibility for the attack, stating that Paddock “converted to Islam” months earlier

False. Hardly half way through and already the lies are flying.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:11 PM   #114
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#6: Stephen Paddock had no familiarity with automatic weapons and no military training; was not a “gun guy”

What a crock. Paddock had a history of gun purchases. Including incendiaries, tracers and a hatload of standard ammo.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:15 PM   #115
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#7: How does a 64-year-old accountant with no military training possess the strength and stamina to fire a fully automatic weapon for nearly 10 minutes?

Jesus wept. So much wrong with that short claim. I have a colleague who is 66 and two close friends who are 75. None of them would find this onerous, two of them are fitter than me and I am only 48.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:16 PM   #116
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#8: Stephen Paddock was gambling away huge amounts of cash… where did he get all that money?

He was a millionaire. Duh.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:18 PM   #117
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
#9: Stephen Paddock has no criminal history, no record and no apparent beef with anybody.

And that is unusual in the criminal fraternity in exactly what way?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:20 PM   #118
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Next

#10: The attack required meticulous planning, funding and training… it wasn’t some lone senior citizen who just “snapped”

It wasn't a "senior citizen", he did meticulously plan it, he had plenty of his own funds and one need not much training to hit a huge target at any range, just "spray and pray"
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 03:24 PM   #119
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
And finally

#11: How was the FBI able to almost immediately declare Paddock had no ties to ISIS — barely 12 hours after the shooting — when the same agency has spent over a year investigating President Trump with zero evidence linking him to Russia, all while refusing to declare Trump has no ties to Russia?

WT actual F?

So in conclusion Mike Adams is bat poop nutty. But thats OK bubba is persuaded by such nonsense.

For anyone willing to read the detail, here is the link
https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-...n-paddock.html
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 06:12 PM   #120
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 8,373
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Not totally either. He has a certified lab, finds and reports crap in supplements and food products.
Have you seen this page? https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-...n-paddock.html

Quote:
#1: As many as 10 rifles were found in his hotel room… but only one shooter?
Why would a single shooter need 10 rifles? Managing just one full auto weapon system is so difficult that it’s probably beyond the physical capabilities of a 64-year-old retired accountant, which is what Paddock was.
The attack took a tremendous amount of time to set up, because you don’t just walk 10 rifles up to your hotel room in a single trip.
A shooter might want several rifles in case of a malfunction. None of the rifles were full auto. Calling the management of a rapid firing AR-15 beyond the capabilities of a 64 year old is just plain stupid. Has Adams actually ever been to a public rifle range? Sounds like he hasn't.

Quote:
#2: As with many orchestrated shootings, the scapegoat was murdered before he could talk
It is not rare that a mass shooter would take their own life.

Quote:
#3: Why are there no muzzle flashes visible from the 32nd-floor Mandalay Bay windows in any of the videos that captured the shooting?
A flash hider and proper powder minimize muzzle flash. If the shooter was sitting back inside the room, this would further obscure any muzzle flash.

Quote:
#4 Why does the gunfire in multiple online videos clearly sound like automatic weapons fire from MULTIPLE weapons?
We are hearing muzzle blast, bullet flight noise, bullet impact and echos all on a cheap recorder and compressed into a video format that reproduces sound poorly. That's why.

Quote:
#5: ISIS has openly claimed responsibility for the attack, stating that Paddock “converted to Islam” months earlier
ISIS is on the ropes; they'll claim anything to improve their image. Don't be one of their dupes.

Quote:
#6: Stephen Paddock had no familiarity with automatic weapons and no military training; was not a “gun guy”
Any "gun guy" can tell you that it takes just a little practice to shoot an ar-15 into a crowd. I'm one of those gun guys. It takes more to use a slide fire stock. As you can tell the mag dumps were not steady; he either stopped to aim or for another reason or he was unable to control the forend properly to keep bump firing.

Quote:
#7: How does a 64-year-old accountant with no military training possess the strength and stamina to fire a fully automatic weapon for nearly 10 minutes?
It wasn't full auto. AR-10's and AR-15 do not recoil heavily. Take a look on Youtube for small teenage girls shooting these rifles and get back to us about how *********** manly a person has to be to shoot one.

Quote:
#8: Stephen Paddock was gambling away huge amounts of cash… where did he get all that money?
#9: Stephen Paddock has no criminal history, no record and no apparent beef with anybody
Big deal and so what. This is nothing new.

Quote:
#10: The attack required meticulous planning, funding and training… it wasn’t some lone senior citizen who just “snapped”
Mike Adams just knows the perp that well? I doubt it. Again with the lie about needing to be a highly trained expert.

Quote:
#11: How was the FBI able to almost immediately declare Paddock had no ties to ISIS
They didn't.

Bubba, I hope you understand how foolish this makes Mike Adams appear. He seems to have a very low opinion of the people reading his website. I'm not about to trust any opinions he has on this topic at all.

ETA; scooped by abaddon I see.

Last edited by Ranb; 11th October 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.