ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Kumar

Lightbulb Gratitude, Compulsion, Idiocy or Nobility?

Hello all,

Many animals & birds which are meant to be slaughtered for food, even if set free, come back to the house of those who nursed but will ultimately slaughter them. Eg. Male goats, cows, cocks etc.

Is it their Gratitude(to repay), Compulsion, Idiocy or Nobility?

Best wishes
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:09 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Since when was a bird not an animal?

They don't know they are bound for slaughter, but they do know where they were fed. End of thread.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:17 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Hello all,

Many animals & birds which are meant to be slaughtered for food, even if set free, come back to the house of those who nursed but will ultimately slaughter them. Eg. Male goats, cows, cocks etc.

Best wishes
Any evidence that they do ?

MikeG's explanation sounds like the most reasonable.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

How are the animals supposed to know there are to be slaughtered? Can they read?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #5
fagin
Illuminator

Hello all,

Best wishes
Why are lady goats, hens and boy cows excluded. I really need to know...
Old 6th October 2017, 07:30 AM   #6
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

This is one of the prime examples of anthropomorphic personification that one commonly sees. None of it's proponents ever think it through to it's logical conclusion.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:07 AM   #7
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

None of the above. Every organism instinctively seeks out what it needs to stay alive. As is obvious -- but seems to require being pointed out to you -- animals that have previously experienced food and shelter at a particular location will return to that location in order to keep receiving food and shelter. As is further obvious -- but somehow also needs to be explained to you -- these animals have no idea they are in any danger, hence the instinct to flee from danger is not triggered.

The options you give above presume a highly developed consciousness that isn't relevant to the subjects of your question. You are personifying animals as the premise to asking your question.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:26 AM   #8
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
This is one of the prime examples of anthropomorphic personification that one commonly sees. None of it's proponents ever think it through to it's logical conclusion.
There is a certain symmetrical irony, I think, in the fact that the person who can't see the obvious answer here is the same person who keeps getting (metaphorically) slaughtered on this forum, yet keeps coming back to the house of those who feed him. Gratitude(to repay), Compulsion, Idiocy or Nobility?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
animals that have previously experienced food and shelter at a particular location will return to that location in order to keep receiving food and shelter.

For the vast majority of food animals you're correct. Some would leave forever if allowed. These animals are generally territorial or migratory. Turkeys will fly away (heritage, as the factory farmed ones are too fat). Deer like a whole lot of room to themselves and are hard to keep in captivity. We've bred whole species, however, who can be controlled in confinement.

In any case, there are few animals that show any hint of the emotions asked about in the OP.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 11:27 AM   #10
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Gratitude(to repay),
So this one implies they know they would be killed but are coming back because they think it's a way to repay the food and shelter they were given. This would require knowing that returning would result in them being slaughtered (nope) thinking that that death would repay a past debt (nope again) and being able to even think in those kinds of terms in the first place (also nope).

Compulsion
I guess this one partly depends on what you're suggesting compels them? If you're just saying it was instinct, well, virtually anything that an animal does can be chalked up to instinct if we want.

Idiocy
I wouldn't call it idiocy, but I would say (as everyone else has) that they probably don't have any idea that they're going to be slaughtered. I guess out of the four options that fits 'idiocy' best.

or Nobility?
This is the one I'm most curious about. I genuinely have no idea what this could possibly mean. I'd love some clarification.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Hello all,

No, it's because they think that, next time, they will persuade their owners that homoeopathy works. "Try try again we will gain."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

They go to where they know there is food. They don't know that they are destined for slaughter.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 11:52 AM   #13
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Hello all,

It's because they think it's where the female goats, cows and chickens are.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:18 PM   #14
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

I have been well-served for many years by the maxim that if your original assumptions are questionable, your conclusions won't be very useful.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:41 PM   #15
deaman
Philosopher

Hello all,

Best wishes
What ARE you writing/talking about?

What is the premise of such a question?
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:14 PM   #16
Thor 2
Illuminator

Boy Kumar you do come out with some really, really, heavy stuff. You put the minds of us simple folk in a spin.
Old 6th October 2017, 01:19 PM   #17
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Hello all,

Best wishes
Assuming gratitude would be an error
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:01 PM   #18
sackett
Philosopher

Let's not be too quick to dismiss idiocy. Idiocy turns up in the darnedest places.

Internet forums, for example

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:05 PM   #19
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Let's not be too quick to dismiss idiocy. Idiocy turns up in the darnedest places.

Internet forums, for example

It can be difficult to distinguish between idiocy and profound thought at times.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:17 PM   #20
dann
Illuminator

Douglas Adams wrote about that kind of animal:
Quote:
A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beeblebrox's table, a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

"Good evening," it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, "I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts of my body?"
http://remotestorage.blogspot.dk/201...nts-to-be.html
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 02:32 PM   #21
fuelair
Suspended

Yawn! At it again I see!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 08:49 PM   #22
Kumar

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Since when was a bird not an animal?

They don't know they are bound for slaughter, but they do know where they were fed. End of thread.
Even then, others are slaughtered in front of them, still their behavior seems not change.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 08:50 PM   #23
Kumar

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
How are the animals supposed to know there are to be slaughtered? Can they read?
As told,

Even then, others are slaughtered in front of them, still their behavior seems not change.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:56 PM   #24
Kumar

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
They go to where they know there is food. They don't know that they are destined for slaughter.

As I said,

I think, similar observations can also be felt in case of botanical beings. They go on offering their products(all parts) by new growth inspite of fact, all parts are cut/plucked and used by humans.

I can't say, whether it is nature or otherwise.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:00 PM   #25
Kumar

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I feel, it only happen in human to species used for human food. I think, animal to animal it does not happen.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:06 PM   #26
Kumar

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
None of the above. Every organism instinctively seeks out what it needs to stay alive. As is obvious -- but seems to require being pointed out to you -- animals that have previously experienced food and shelter at a particular location will return to that location in order to keep receiving food and shelter. As is further obvious -- but somehow also needs to be explained to you -- these animals have no idea they are in any danger, hence the instinct to flee from danger is not triggered.

The options you give above presume a highly developed consciousness that isn't relevant to the subjects of your question. You are personifying animals as the premise to asking your question.
Thanks but I think. as I said;

1. It still happen even if animal see other animals are slaughtered in front of them.

2. I think, it happens in interactions between humans and such species used for food not between animal to animals interactions.

Do they expect something different from humans?
Old 6th October 2017, 09:10 PM   #27
Kumar

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
There is a certain symmetrical irony, I think, in the fact that the person who can't see the obvious answer here is the same person who keeps getting (metaphorically) slaughtered on this forum, yet keeps coming back to the house of those who feed him. Gratitude(to repay), Compulsion, Idiocy or Nobility?
Good example. Therefore, I am trying to better understand it. Personally, I feel it is gratitude and nature to get and give i.e to share but not only to get or only to give.. Bit different.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:10 PM   #28
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As I said,

I think, similar observations can also be felt in case of botanical beings. They go on offering their products(all parts) by new growth inspite of fact, all parts are cut/plucked and used by humans.

I can't say, whether it is nature or otherwise.
Oh really, now how silly can we get? "Botanical Beings" indeed. Theyre plants. Plants don't "offer their products" to anyone. They grow because that's what plants do. Of course they grow back if they can. What would you expect a plant to do? Stop growing out of spite? Grow legs and run away? In fiction ents and triffids can maybe vary the routine, but in real life, plants are plants.

What possible thing other than nature could plant growth be? If a plant does it, it's nature by default! That's what nature is!

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:16 PM   #29
Kumar

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
So this one implies they know they would be killed but are coming back because they think it's a way to repay the food and shelter they were given. This would require knowing that returning would result in them being slaughtered (nope) thinking that that death would repay a past debt (nope again) and being able to even think in those kinds of terms in the first place (also nope).

I guess this one partly depends on what you're suggesting compels them? If you're just saying it was instinct, well, virtually anything that an animal does can be chalked up to instinct if we want.

I wouldn't call it idiocy, but I would say (as everyone else has) that they probably don't have any idea that they're going to be slaughtered. I guess out of the four options that fits 'idiocy' best.

This is the one I'm most curious about. I genuinely have no idea what this could possibly mean. I'd love some clarification.
It need to be checked under following things.

1. They come back, even if they look other animals are slaughtered in front of them.

2. Is it humans to those animal interactions or animal to animal also and if not, do they expect some more naturally from humans?

3. Can it just be their nature in the benefit of humans?
Old 6th October 2017, 09:32 PM   #30
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

What would you like the plants to do?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 10:45 PM   #31
Kumar

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Oh really, now how silly can we get? "Botanical Beings" indeed. Theyre plants. Plants don't "offer their products" to anyone. They grow because that's what plants do. Of course they grow back if they can. What would you expect a plant to do? Stop growing out of spite? Grow legs and run away? In fiction ents and triffids can maybe vary the routine, but in real life, plants are plants.

What possible thing other than nature could plant growth be? If a plant does it, it's nature by default! That's what nature is!
Yes, but from our POV, we should also see, what we are getting and what we are forcibly taking.
Old 6th October 2017, 10:49 PM   #32
Kumar

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It's because they think it's where the female goats, cows and chickens are.
or they take us bit differently being seiner most? Probably they believe more to us esp if no similar animal to animal interaction is there?
Old 6th October 2017, 10:52 PM   #33
Kumar

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
I have been well-served for many years by the maxim that if your original assumptions are questionable, your conclusions won't be very useful.
I also want to check if those animals, birds and even botanical, naturally take us bit differently, being seiner most?
Old 6th October 2017, 10:58 PM   #34
Kumar

Originally Posted by deaman View Post
What ARE you writing/talking about?

What is the premise of such a question?
I am checking, if those species which are slaughtered in human's use but also nurshed by them, naturally take human beings bit differently due to flowwing reasons:

1. Being seiner most?

2. One who nurse will not kill?

Esp, if no such type of interaction exist between animal to animals.
Old 6th October 2017, 11:48 PM   #35
Kumar

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Douglas Adams wrote about that kind of animal:
I feel, none in topic subject, nor the ñature, but it càn be mistaken identity to ús like eldest brother, guardian or parent type. Somewhat overestimate/overbelief that whoever nurse n love or who is senier will not kill. ?
Old 6th October 2017, 11:53 PM   #36
Kumar

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Both animals and plants are béings. I casually mentioned plants. This point I shall take úp in another topic later. Tks.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:06 AM   #37
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Form a trade union.

Old 7th October 2017, 03:45 AM   #38
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I am checking, if those species which are slaughtered in human's use but also nurshed by them, naturally take human beings bit differently due to flowwing reasons:

1. Being seiner most?

What does "seiner" mean?

Quote:
2. One who nurse will not kill?

Esp, if no such type of interaction exist between animal to animals.

Animals often kill other animals.

Old 7th October 2017, 04:01 AM   #39
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Hello all,

Best wishes

That's an amazingly stupid question.
Old 7th October 2017, 04:04 AM   #40
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I also want to check if those animals, birds and even botanical, naturally take us bit differently, being seiner most?
Please translate this gibberish into a known Earth language.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy