ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Another terrorist car attack in London?

A car has apparently driven into pedestrians outside the Natural History Museum in London. A man has been detained, though there is no confirmation over the motive as yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41538762
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 09:36 AM   #2
fagin
Illuminator

Or possibly just a rubbish driver.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Nobody seems to have died, so he's rubbish even if he's a terrorist.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 09:53 AM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Am I seeing an injured Aston Martin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _98219449_6efd34b9-21fe-4729-9de8-7bff51bbb074.jpg (59.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 7th October 2017, 11:01 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At least 11 are injured. Driver is held down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLi2TYSWkAAJGcm.jpg (109.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th October 2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Accident according to police.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Obviously an MI-6 operation.
Old 7th October 2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Probably playing Pokémon on his phone while driving. What a thickett.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 02:33 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What's the rate of automobile terrorist attacks in the UK, compared to the accidental "motorist drives into crowd" stuff?

From across the pond, it is always seems like whenever this happens, it turns out to be terrorism. Are there a lot of vehicular manslaughters happening in the UK, that aren't happening to be widely reported? To the extent that when one happens, terrorism isn't the most likely cause?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 03:10 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reported to be an Uber driver with three female passengers.

That car is a Jaguar driven by Pixie Lott's fiance Oliver Cheshire.
Old 7th October 2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Reported to be an Uber driver with three female passengers.

That car is a Jaguar driven by Pixie Lott's fiance Oliver Cheshire.
It's a shocking place to have an accident, as most days there are 20-minute queues (sometimes as long as an hour) snaking down the road at the Natural History Museum, a very large percentage of which are families with young children, and from all over the world.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 03:19 PM   #12
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's the rate of automobile terrorist attacks in the UK, compared to the accidental "motorist drives into crowd" stuff?

From across the pond, it is always seems like whenever this happens, it turns out to be terrorism. Are there a lot of vehicular manslaughters happening in the UK, that aren't happening to be widely reported? To the extent that when one happens, terrorism isn't the most likely cause?

There are plenty of accidents. Motorway pileups cause fatalities on a fairly regular basis. The Glasgow bin-lorry tragedy killed six a few years back, and an out-of-control tipper truck killed four in Bath: those are the most high-profile accidents it seems to me of recent times, but they were before the current wave of attacks, and had they happened this year for example, I suspect people's first reactions on hearing the news might have been to suspect a terror incident.

True homicide with malice aforethought not linked to terrorism seems fairly rare; I can recall just one such case in the last few years here (Scotland) where someone was actually murdered by being run over, which had at least an element of premeditation and wasn't simply road rage; a jealous lover IIRC.
Old 7th October 2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Minoosh
Philosopher

By "vehicular manslaughter," do you mean on purpose? That might be a key distinction I'm missing. Multiple people die in car crashes all the time. Multiple injuries are caused by cars driving on the sidewalk all the time. Unless you're poring over local reports from around the world, you're never going to hear about them - unless someone calls it terrorism and/or it happens in a popular holiday locale.

I'm curious where your perception is coming from. I mean, I don't know, maybe there is a lot more automobile terrorism than I'm aware of, but it sounds to me like you have been unduly influenced by recent anecdotes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Media goes into overdrive(excuse the pun)with every car that hits someone now,broadcasting live at the scene,rolling news.Even the Prime Minister tweeted her "thanks to the first responders and thoughts with the injured."
She's going to be very busy doing that after every car accident in London alone.

ETA: Ironically Uber lots its license last week in London or something related,cba to google it.

ETA x2 Here we go https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...for-london-tfl

Last edited by Azrael 5; 7th October 2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Link added due to laziness guilt.
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:18 AM   #15
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I would wager that - as an American - you're only seeing reports of the minuscule number that are terrorism, because the regular everyday accidents wouldn't make it to the American media, any more than American RTAs would make it to the British media. Vehicles crashing into groups of people - particularly at bus stops - are not particularly uncommon.

This was one of the most high profile incidents (negligence, rather than an accident:

Wikipedia: 2014 Glasgow bin lorry crash

BBC News: Schoolboy among bus stop crash injured in Clydebank

BBC News: Car loses control and hits pedestrians in Cheltenham

This is a recent one on the Isle of Man that didn't make the UK national news (not that IoM is part of the UK, but... it's complicated...):

BBC News: Laxey crash: Fourth person dies after car crashes into bus stop

ETA: Today brings possibly the most stereotypically English variation possible....

BBC News: [White] Van crashes into Maulden thatched cottage front door

Last edited by Information Analyst; 11th October 2017 at 06:33 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:20 AM   #16
Argumemnon
World Maker

That's the real tragedy, here.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 05:22 AM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's the real tragedy, here.
Trump just tweeted that he hopes Mr Martin will recover from his injuries.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:17 AM   #18
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I get the feeling that the less successful car terrorists claim accident if they fail to do enough damage.

A Muslim driver in Amsterdam waited in a very weird spot (not a parking spot) and then accelerated and drove into a group of Israeli tourists coming out of the central station.

No casualties, he was unwell apparently and had low blood sugar due to Ramadan.

Both these may have been legitimate accidents. There are a lot of those, and some of them are bound to be Muslim drivers driving into crowds of tourists in prominent tourists spots. Numbers game basically, as is demonstrated by the much longer list of incidents involving native Europeans driving into crowds at popular tourist locations.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:22 AM   #19
fagin
Illuminator

Er um OK....
Old 12th October 2017, 05:16 AM   #20
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I get the feeling that the less successful car terrorists claim accident if they fail to do enough damage.

A Muslim driver in Amsterdam waited in a very weird spot (not a parking spot) and then accelerated and drove into a group of Israeli tourists coming out of the central station.

No casualties, he was unwell apparently and had low blood sugar due to Ramadan.

Both these may have been legitimate accidents. There are a lot of those, and some of them are bound to be Muslim drivers driving into crowds of tourists in prominent tourists spots. Numbers game basically, as is demonstrated by the much longer list of incidents involving native Europeans driving into crowds at popular tourist locations.
Hopefully the police check their computers for signs of radicalization to eliminate this possibility.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events