ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:31 AM   #1
barehl
Master Poster

Trump, the Kook

I read this description of Earl Curley:

Curley had a lot of character flaws that made him a Great Kook. Lots of kooks make outlandish claims -- like inventing the quicksort algorithm, being a rich lawyer, finding a way to seduce women with ease, a willingness to kill if denied tenure -- but few kooks claimed actual supernatural powers.

Curley also claimed a level of intelligence, business acumen, web design skills, sexual prowess, and rhythm on the dance floor that were obviously and patently false based on even the most cursory reading of any one of his posts to Usenet. For example, Curley claimed to be a published author, having written a couple books, but it was obvious from his Usenet posts Curley struggled to craft a single sentence that wasn't loaded with typos, malapropisms, tautologies, improper subject/verb agreement, improper articles, improper prepositions, and other examples of a poor mastery of the English language.

Finally, Curley had a perverse and all consuming need for his doubters to actually believe his grandiose claims. Curley was caught in a weird spiral. More he was doubted and jeered at, more outlandish his claims got, greater his need to convince those laughing at him he really was everything he said he was.

Except for claiming psychic ability, how does this not describe Donald Trump?
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Molinaro
Illuminator

Trump's hair is not curly. Otherwise... pretty good description.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:52 AM   #3
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Cool thread, man.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:36 AM   #4
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Cool thread, man.
I was trying to come up with an appropriate comment on this "thread". You speak for me.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by barehl View Post
Quicksort, tenure, and Usenet.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

I ... engaged a few times with Earl (and his sock Mary Jo) on Usenet back in the day. As much as I dislike Trump, Trump can only hope to some day be as entertaining. I'd put Trump more like a Biiil Palmer only without the vocabulary.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Octavo
Illuminator

Curley had a lot of character flaws that made him a Great Kook. Lots of kooks make outlandish claims -- like inventing the quicksort algorithm, being a rich lawyer, finding a way to seduce women with ease, a willingness to kill if denied tenure -- but few kooks claimed actual supernatural powers.

Curley also claimed a level of intelligence, business acumen, web design skills, sexual prowess, and rhythm on the dance floor that were obviously and patently false based on even the most cursory reading of any one of his posts to Usenet. For example, Curley claimed to be a published author, having written a couple books, but it was obvious from his Usenet posts Curley struggled to craft a single sentence that wasn't loaded with typos, malapropisms, tautologies, improper subject/verb agreement, improper articles, improper prepositions, and other examples of a poor mastery of the English language.

Finally, Curley had a perverse and all consuming need for his doubters to actually believe his grandiose claims. Curley was caught in a weird spiral. More he was doubted and jeered at, more outlandish his claims got, greater his need to convince those laughing at him he really was everything he said he was.

Curley sounds a lot more qualified to be President.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:30 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Cool thread, man.
Be nice. I think barehl has had a real insight, here. He's given us a wholly new and useful picture of Trump. I only wish someone had brought it up before the election.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:03 PM   #9
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

To be fair, no one's actually asked Trump if he's psychic. When the Huckabee spawn and Connie Ann Kellway show him the demographics for astrology and woo adherents, he'll probably claim to be psychic, too.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:09 PM   #10
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Stick with Earl Gordon Curley, eh?

Last edited by John Jones; 12th October 2017 at 06:10 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:01 AM   #11
barehl
Master Poster

In general it seems to match. Trump brags about being a great business man even when US banks stopped lending him money because he had so many bankruptcies. He still claims to have written The Art of the Deal even though we know he wrote none of it. He brags about his abilities with women and the size of his penis. He frequently claims to be very smart and to have good writing and speaking skills. Yet, his speeches only make sense when he reads from a teleprompter from a speech someone else wrote. Even his wife, Melania, claimed to have written a speech that her speechwriter ripped off from Michelle Obama. Remember during the campaign how he claimed he would solve all of the problems within the first few weeks? Trump bragged about his health but wouldn't release his medical records. He instead had a doctor who had never examined him write up a brief note. Trump is still claiming that he got a majority of the vote and still claiming that his crowds are much larger than they actually are. He does seem obsessed with his self-image. They have him on tape years ago where he called a reporter and pretended to be someone else praising Trump. That's basically a sock puppet before we had sock puppets on the internet.

Has there been a point yet when Trump stopped claiming that he would fix everything and was smarter than everyone else?
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

While that is an interesting summary, and critique, where'd he get all of that money? Did he print it? (I am pretty sure that, like most presidents, there's a limit to what he can hope to fix, and he's no idea what the limits of the office are. He'll hopefully learn. Maybe not).
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Lurch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
While that is an interesting summary, and critique, where'd he get all of that money? Did he print it? (I am pretty sure that, like most presidents, there's a limit to what he can hope to fix, and he's no idea what the limits of the office are. He'll hopefully learn. Maybe not).
The money means diddly squat. All kinds of nefarious cretins throughout history accrued much wealth. And in Trump's case I lean toward nefarious means as contributing. And don't forget that he didn't have to start from scratch, what with a rich daddy.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 11:49 AM   #14
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
While that is an interesting summary, and critique, where'd he get all of that money?
He inherited it from a rich father. But as I mentioned, his businesses today are being propped up by foreign money. We don't know exactly how much because ... he still hasn't released his taxes. We will probably never know unless the taxes show a violation of law in which case they'll become evidence.
Old 17th October 2017, 11:54 AM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He inherited it from a rich father. But as I mentioned, his businesses today are being propped up by foreign money. We don't know exactly how much because ... he still hasn't released his taxes. We will probably never know unless the taxes show a violation of law in which case they'll become evidence.
American Banks and Finiancial Instituions have been reluctant for a long time to lend to or invest in Trump's ventures. I wonder why..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #16
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
American Banks and Finiancial Instituions have been reluctant for a long time to lend to or invest in Trump's ventures. I wonder why..
bankruptcy after bankruptcy ...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics