ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:52 AM   #1
deadrose
Master Poster

Attempted airport bombing in North Carolina

This seems to be getting very little media attention, considering he'd actually gotten the bomb onto airport grounds, has cheerfully confessed to it, and said that he wanted to "start a war on U.S. soil".

He'd made an ANFO bomb with nails for shrapnel, so I don't think it's mistaken identification.

A cynical person might think it had something to do with his whiteness.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...nce/749394001/

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/11/...tes-asheville/
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 11:04 AM   #2
fagin
Illuminator

He's just a poor, misunderstood lunatic. Nothing to worry about.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:19 AM   #3
deadrose
Master Poster

If he were a blatant nutcase, you'd think they'd want to trumpet it far & wide to prove that all attacks like that were just nutcases (at least the white ones). But there's not a peep about his sanity.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 11:35 AM   #4
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
This seems to be getting very little media attention, considering he'd actually gotten the bomb onto airport grounds, has cheerfully confessed to it, and said that he wanted to "start a war on U.S. soil".

He'd made an ANFO bomb with nails for shrapnel, so I don't think it's mistaken identification.

A cynical person might think it had something to do with his whiteness.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...nce/749394001/

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/11/...tes-asheville/
Since when is the MSM afraid to show white men doing bad things?

CNN loves to show these stories because they show that white people are the real enemy. So why didn't CNN make it front page news?

Because there was no bomb detonation (a mason jar bomb), nobody was hurt, nobody has heard of the airport and people are burning and dying from natural disasters in various parts of this country right now. Oh and Trump.

If it were only right-wing news sites that were ignoring it you might have a point. We can play this game though. I didn't see a recent Paris attack or one in Canada mentioned on any US sites when they occurred, or this forum.

Who's behind this lack of appropriate coverage? Every major news site in the country? It's a conspiracy? Funny because the news media often gets accused of not mentioning a suspects race unless he's white. So are they on whiteys side, or against it? Both sides make the same accusations. I'm confused.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:30 PM   #5
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-man...olina-airport/
Quote:
Jail records list him as a 46-year-old Native American.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th October 2017 at 12:32 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Scootch
Critical Thinker

Well now I don't know what to think
Scootch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

CNN loves to show these stories because they show that white people are the real enemy. So why didn't CNN make it front page news?

Because there was no bomb detonation (a mason jar bomb), nobody was hurt, nobody has heard of the airport and people are burning and dying from natural disasters in various parts of this country right now. Oh and Trump.

If it were only right-wing news sites that were ignoring it you might have a point. We can play this game though. I didn't see a recent Paris attack or one in Canada mentioned on any US sites when they occurred, or this forum.

Who's behind this lack of appropriate coverage? Every major news site in the country? It's a conspiracy? Funny because the news media often gets accused of not mentioning a suspects race unless he's white. So are they on whiteys side, or against it? Both sides make the same accusations. I'm confused.
That's odd you didn't see these. I did- fairly prominently in my normal news readings and when they occurred (well, within minutes or hours of when they occurred). To refresh my memory I just Googled "attempted Edmonton attack Canada" and I found well over a 1.7 million hits- the very first one was CNN, and the list included many American as well as Canadian news sources. Googling "attempted Paris attack" I found over 5.6 million hits (although this included a variety of recent attacks and I am not certain to which you were referring, the car ramming was prominent). And again a large number of these were from US news sources, despite the typical way USA news tends to ignore happenings in other countries. Perhaps you should consider widening your sources of news?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Hmmm. I'm "white" and I haven't noticed this bias at all. In fact the only times I've noticed this is along the lines "Oh wait, the guy isn't a brown Muslim, he's a white Protestant. Not terrorism- he's just a crazy person. You can all relax now..."
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:55 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Hmmm. I'm "white" and I haven't noticed this bias at all. In fact the only times I've noticed this is along the lines "Oh wait, the guy isn't a brown Muslim, he's a white Protestant. Not terrorism- he's just a crazy person. You can all relax now..."
You're not playing the victim properly. See, to some people if anything happens that isn't in the best interest to white people that automatically means that it's "anti-white". The post you responded to is prime example. He also had a false equivalence in that he compared attacks in other countries, and their lack of media coverage, to a story that happened in America.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 04:55 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Man is an idiot.
Everybody knows you start a war on US Soil in South Carolina, Not North Carolina.
Preferably in Charleston.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:17 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I suspect that may be "for certain meanings of the word native".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:19 PM   #12
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Too bad he wasn't white. Sorry OP.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:50 PM   #13
deadrose
Master Poster

Err, did you look at the photo? I would guess he has just enough Native American blood to claim status, if that. He looks like your typical yokel otherwise.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I suspect that may be "for certain meanings of the word native".
Wow. Didn't think you would be so judgemental about forcing your prejudices over other peoples self-identity.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:06 PM   #15
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Wow. Didn't think you would be so judgemental about forcing your prejudices over other peoples self-identity.
What I meant is that some people have a different meaning for native. Describing oneself as a "nativist" doesn't generally include buffalo hunting and wigwams.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 06:06 PM   #16
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

As in Geronimo, or as in Bill the Butcher?
Old 12th October 2017, 07:08 PM   #17
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
As in Geronimo, or as in Bill the Butcher?
Someone got it. I've gotta remember to use cultural references.

Old 13th October 2017, 12:55 AM   #18
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Terrorist logic in a nutshell:

The people are blind to [INSERT POLITICAL, SOCIAL OR RELIGIOUS ISSUE HERE].
I can wake them up by killing [INSERT GROUP OF INNOCENT PEOPLE HERE].
This will start an [INSERT REVOLUTION, RACE WAR OR CIVIL WAR HERE].
This will be won by my nutty fringe group of ideologues because [INSERT FAR-FETCHED REASONS HERE].
Thereby bringing about the [INSERT CALIPHATE, SOCIAL UTOPIA OR ETHNOSTATE HERE]
Old 13th October 2017, 02:11 AM   #19
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Terrorist logic in a nutshell:

The people are blind to [INSERT POLITICAL, SOCIAL OR RELIGIOUS ISSUE HERE].
I can wake them up by killing [INSERT GROUP OF INNOCENT PEOPLE HERE].
This will start an [INSERT REVOLUTION, RACE WAR OR CIVIL WAR HERE].
This will be won by my nutty fringe group of ideologues because [INSERT FAR-FETCHED REASONS HERE].
Thereby bringing about the [INSERT CALIPHATE, SOCIAL UTOPIA OR ETHNOSTATE HERE]
The people only await your signal to rise up and throw off the oppressor. You are doing God's/Other God's/definitely not God's work. Strike out as applicable.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:05 AM   #20
crackers
Muse

If Eddie Dane wants us to rise up and throw off the oppressor, he better send us a signal soon. We have short attention spans nowadays!
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:28 AM   #21
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
According to records held by the Buncombe County Detention Center, where Estes was being detained as of 12 October, Michael Christopher Estes is identified as “American Indian/Alaskan Native”.
http://www.snopes.com/asheville-airport-bomb-attempted/

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 03:06 PM   #22
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

That only means that he claimed native status on the little form that they make you fill out, or referred to himself as "native American". It doesn't mean that he actually had any First Nations heritage. He looks distinctly Caucasian.

A lot of white supremacists in this country are fond of referring to themselves as "native Americans" and "true natives" and similar epithets that become confused with claiming to be indigenous peoples. Some because they have an idealized image of indigenous peoples (the "noble savage" myth) that they wish to identify with; some to troll government officials and organizations; more because they don't consider First Nations peoples fully human, and therefore descendants of white settlers are the "true native sons" and such.

Last edited by luchog; 13th October 2017 at 03:07 PM.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:16 PM   #23
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Maybe if it was a slow news day this icident would have had more coverage.

But really, this guy is not so much this:

As he is this:

From the article linked upthread:
Quote:
An alarm clock was taped to the outside of the jar with matches attached to the arm that strikes the bells. "More specifically, the alarm clock would go off, the matches would strike, the Sterno would heat up, and then the Ammonium Nitrate would explode."
Like Wile E., he is more a danger to himself!
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #24
deadrose
Master Poster

Interesting little footnote. It turns out he was released from jail 8 days before the attempted bombing. He'd served 7 days of a 10-21 month sentence. Nobody seems to have answers as to why he was released. Lots of people asking, though.

That sentence? That was for attacking a man with a hatchet and large knife in 2015. He's either got serious anger issues or he actually is crazy. I still think if that were the case they'd be making it abundantly clear though.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:49 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Interesting little footnote. It turns out he was released from jail 8 days before the attempted bombing. He'd served 7 days of a 10-21 month sentence. Nobody seems to have answers as to why he was released. Lots of people asking, though.

That sentence? That was for attacking a man with a hatchet and large knife in 2015. He's either got serious anger issues or he actually is crazy. I still think if that were the case they'd be making it abundantly clear though.
Bit of a false dichotomy. Probably both are true.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events